watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Well Done Dempsey

Started by George G, September 01, 2012, 03:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George G

You have had your 'big' move and you have ruined your five 5 years with us with the way you have deal with it all. Who the hell do you think you are!!!!
Keep calm, think of Fulham FC

Snibbo

He has a good point though. Contrast the way Moussa did it. Carried on playing, showed his talents, got his move, retained the affection of the fans. In contrast .....

Patterson

Quote from: Snibbo on September 01, 2012, 03:29:16 AM
He has a good point though. Contrast the way Moussa did it. Carried on playing, showed his talents, got his move, retained the affection of the fans. In contrast .....

Two very different situations to be fair.
A Canadian supporting Fulham...wait...what?!

Horse

We got 7mil, Spurs got a squad player who'll spend most of the time on the bench. The only loser here is good old Demps. And rightly so.

tslyon

...And the US national team since Dempsey will not be playing first team football nearly as much.  Kind of screwed us over that way...

fulhampa23

Don't downplay all that he did for us. Sure this was a dark cloud to an illustrious spell, but at least he out-performed Bullard and Zamora who left under shady circumstances. Watching him was a joy, and he was with us through some deep lows and euphoric highs.
"We love to win. For us, for our fans, for our Club. But we win fair. We believe in football first. We play to the spirit of the game. We are Fulham Football Club."

-Brede Hangeland

bertie

Quote from: George G on September 01, 2012, 03:23:32 AM
Who the hell do you think you are!!!!

Clint may think he was your top PL goalscorer ever? Perhaps he even thinks he was Fulham's best player in the PL era?

JBH

Clint has joined a team that finished 4th last season so he has in effect joined a team that was capable under normal circumstances to qualify for the Champions league so at least that matches his ambition, however they way he went about leaving FFC has left a bad taste in a lot of fans mouth's.

Still at least the club had the final say about his move as they turned down a bid from Liverpool which if you believe all that was said was "His Dream Move".

Thanks for 5 1/2 years Clint just a shame you failed to show any class leading up to you exit.

Burt

As per JBH's last comment - thanks for all the great memories, shame about the manner of making the switch. I can't but help feel that in future he will look back on his time with us as the pinnacle of his career, and perhaps regret making the move.

Nero

All Clint had to do was play 2 games like Moussa to be held in high regard by Fulham fans,

clanky

Mixed emotions from me, one of our best players who served us well and don't want his exit to sour some great memories and goals. We were all singing " He secores with his left, he scores with his r-i-g-g-g-h-h-t.........etc.etc. last season ( and THE Juventus goal)

Can't see him playing 100% at Spurs but wait and see,, as per the previous entry, Fulham will be the pinnacle of his career and think Clint understands this

However, not sure how we'll do without both him and the Moose and perhaps find out today at West Ham.

Keep the faith !!

Clanky

Snibbo

Quote from: Nero on September 01, 2012, 08:05:10 AM
All Clint had to do was play 2 games like Moussa to be held in high regard by Fulham fans,
Exactly - and if he'd scored at Old Trafford to give us a point or three, he would be forever a legend.

MJG

So finally he departs off to North London, neither a champion's league club nor the team that in the last 12 months has destroyed its long reputation as a great club.

Spurs it is, a team with a new manager and now with two of our first XI players joining them in the space of days. Closer to a CL club than Liverpool, but where he fits in their team I'm not sure.
Clint over the 5 years he was here and up to May 2012 he gave everything for the club I love, scored great and important goals, Liverpool at home was very important and Juve in the cup was the best of the lot.

The goal scoring record improved year on year, this I think can be put down to the gradual changes made to the team over the years. From Coleman's team, onto Sanchez's disaster, to Roy's organised banks of 4, Hughes's mish mash of styles and finally to Jol's freedom to express.

Each manager apart from Jol seemed to struggle with what to do with Clint. Was he a striker, a central midfielder, Left or right wing or behind the striker.  In the end his best position is left side of midfield cutting inwards with his running. Something that showed last year in some stats about Fulham's play where we had by far the lowest number of attacks down the left than any premier side. How that's going to adapt at another club will be interesting as it took 5 years to find his real position.

He always needed to win the managers (and fans) over and fight for his place. He had the tricks and determination but lacked that yard or two of pace to be a real winger. He was very greedy as well, shooting from ridiculous distances when a simple ball through may have been the better option.
But we could live with that due to the fact that he kept going and fought for the team. He also had an edge to his play, those elbows have wacked a few centre backs and for the most part he seems to have got away with that side of game going fairly unnoticed. Under the spotlight of a bigger team will he be able to do that now?

For a player who could have been a legend let's remember he was not in the starting XI at Hamburg. The biggest game in our history and he was on the bench. I say could have been a legend, he destroyed that by clearly having been told by Liverpool they were going to buy him. Did he go on strike? I doubt he went on strike but it was clear he was not going to play, fit but unable to play due to not being in the right frame of mind because you want to move is not what I want to hear from players at my team.

In the end who wanted him? A player who scored over 20 goals last season seemed not to be rated by those CL clubs he coveted. Sunderland & Villa showed interest, Liverpool wanted him but only on the cheap. Where was the overseas interest?  Maybe..just maybe he's not rated that highly in football circles. He's a difficult player to fit into a team as I said earlier and a hard sell to a chairman.

Anyway thanks for the years Clint, He let himself down and given he only got a one paragraph thank you on the club website I suspect he's not going to be welcome back for a very long time. I'm not going to wish Clint luck as I hope it all goes tits up and in a year's time you might possibly end up at Liverpool after a year on the bench at Spurs. What a waste.

Oh and one last thing...He fell over a lot.

mccscratch

Quote from: MJG on September 01, 2012, 08:38:14 AM
So finally he departs off to North London, neither a champion's league club nor the team that in the last 12 months has destroyed its long reputation as a great club.

Spurs it is, a team with a new manager and now with two of our first XI players joining them in the space of days. Closer to a CL club than Liverpool, but where he fits in their team I'm not sure.
Clint over the 5 years he was here and up to May 2012 he gave everything for the club I love, scored great and important goals, Liverpool at home was very important and Juve in the cup was the best of the lot.

The goal scoring record improved year on year, this I think can be put down to the gradual changes made to the team over the years. From Coleman's team, onto Sanchez's disaster, to Roy's organised banks of 4, Hughes's mish mash of styles and finally to Jol's freedom to express.

Each manager apart from Jol seemed to struggle with what to do with Clint. Was he a striker, a central midfielder, Left or right wing or behind the striker.  In the end his best position is left side of midfield cutting inwards with his running. Something that showed last year in some stats about Fulham's play where we had by far the lowest number of attacks down the left than any premier side. How that's going to adapt at another club will be interesting as it took 5 years to find his real position.

He always needed to win the managers (and fans) over and fight for his place. He had the tricks and determination but lacked that yard or two of pace to be a real winger. He was very greedy as well, shooting from ridiculous distances when a simple ball through may have been the better option.
But we could live with that due to the fact that he kept going and fought for the team. He also had an edge to his play, those elbows have wacked a few centre backs and for the most part he seems to have got away with that side of game going fairly unnoticed. Under the spotlight of a bigger team will he be able to do that now?

For a player who could have been a legend let's remember he was not in the starting XI at Hamburg. The biggest game in our history and he was on the bench. I say could have been a legend, he destroyed that by clearly having been told by Liverpool they were going to buy him. Did he go on strike? I doubt he went on strike but it was clear he was not going to play, fit but unable to play due to not being in the right frame of mind because you want to move is not what I want to hear from players at my team.

In the end who wanted him? A player who scored over 20 goals last season seemed not to be rated by those CL clubs he coveted. Sunderland & Villa showed interest, Liverpool wanted him but only on the cheap. Where was the overseas interest?  Maybe..just maybe he's not rated that highly in football circles. He's a difficult player to fit into a team as I said earlier and a hard sell to a chairman.

Anyway thanks for the years Clint, He let himself down and given he only got a one paragraph thank you on the club website I suspect he's not going to be welcome back for a very long time. I'm not going to wish Clint luck as I hope it all goes tits up and in a year's time you might possibly end up at Liverpool after a year on the bench at Spurs. What a waste.

Oh and one last thing...He fell over a lot.

Good write up MJG... exactly what I suspected you would do... level headed for the most part with the normal MJG fall over jab... fair play to you...

One bit I feel is unfair... Clint during the Europa run was injured and only just back for Juve... He was not ever fully fit from the knee injury in January, hence Roy not starting him... he did play a large portion of the match though and was yes, fairly anonymous... but he was not an afterthought and nor will he be at Spurs

He is as talented and complete of a player as we have had in the past 10 years... He had Murphys full respect and he has mine. Should do yours too...
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

Berserker

Dempsey was always one of my favourite players and i am sad to see him go. He only really came to the fore last year possibly when we had a lack of strike actions and stepped up to the mark to fill this breach, or maybe playing with Ruiz and Dembele made a winning combination. Glad he didn't go to Liverpool though, Wondered if he was set on there because of the American owners, may be when the alledged tapping took place he was promished something extra if he could get the transfer through at a cheap price by making it awkward for Fulham to keep him. All a bit of a shame as people said that it ended this way :-(
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

grandad

I just wonder how the Spuds fans will take to him after repeatedly stating that he only wanted to join Liverpool.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Lighthouse

LONDON 24

Clint Dempsey has insisted that his messy exit from Fulham was not all it was portrayed to be and thanked the Craven Cottage fans for their support.

The American signed for Tottenham in an 11th hour switch before the transfer window shut at 11pm last night.

He had been expected to move to Liverpool having made clear his desire then getting excluded from the Whites' squads for the first two games of the Premier League season.

Aston Villa became involved early yesterday, when an offer for Dempsey was accepted by Fulham only for the striker to turn it down.

Liverpool then made a lesser bid but it was rebuffed by the west Londoners and when they did not return with a counter offer that saw the 29-year-old dash across the capital to sign for Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas.

After the transfer was confirmed Dempsey tried to address his final month at Fulham, saying on Tottenham's Twitter feed: "A lot was said and written ahead of me leaving Fulham. It wasn't how it was portrayed, but that's in the past now and we move on.

"I want to thank the fans for everything, some of the best memories I've had in football, and thank the chairman for giving me the opportunity to come from the MLS and compete over here.

"All I can say is thank you and now I'm looking forward to the next challenge."

Though he had been pushing for a move to Merseyside all summer Dempsey also added that he was glad to sign for the White Hart Lane outfit.

"To play under this head coach and play for this club is a dream come true. I want to make the most of it," he said, adding: "There are a lot of great players here, I'm looking forward to training and playing with them."

A statement on Fulham's website read: 'Fulham Football Club can confirm that, on Friday evening, Clint Dempsey joined Tottenham Hotspur. Clint was a very influential player for Fulham over a number of seasons and the Club thanks him for his contribution and wishes him well for the future.'

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

George G

I admit I was a little bit tipsy when I posted that last night  :dft001:.

I am still a bit bitter but not quite as much as my thread and first post portrays.

He was a good servant for the club and I like some of his quotes in the article above. Clearly it was something between him and Jol.
Keep calm, think of Fulham FC

TonyGilroy

I don't wish him well for the future. I'm sure I should but I don't.

I think it's a terrible shame when a player who was a fan's favourite ruins things by the manner of his leaving.

He'll always have his money to count but I'd like to think that a Terry Angus type is richer because of the welcome he'll receive when he visits the club.

Naive of course and very unworldly of me.