watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stand names

Started by Jimpav, September 03, 2012, 10:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

It struck me as a bit strange that Sheffield United have renamed one of their stands after Jessica Ennis. Okay she's an outstanding athlete, won a deserved gold medal and most red blooded male United fans would but does this warrant a stand being named after her? I appreciate her and her family support United but still seems a bit OTT to me.

Anyway, what's your take? Should stands be named after local heroes or celebrity fans? Fancy the Hugh Grant end should he ever win an Oscar or the Keith & Lilly stand? Or are you a purist and think that football stands are for football legends and those that have made a direct contribution to the club?

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

Haven't you heard?  The Riverside stand is going to be the Michael Jackson stand...

alexbishop

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on September 03, 2012, 10:23:13 PM
Haven't you heard?  The Riverside stand is going to be the Michael Jackson stand...

I would LOVE that, purely to see people's reaction.
Fulham Fan Est. 1997

t: @alexmbishop

Jimpav

Quote from: Edward_Winston_Malone on September 03, 2012, 10:23:13 PM

I knew that but it was the rumour that the Johnny Haynes Stand was to be renamed the Clint Dempsey stand that put my back up.

btings

Ennis is the first good thing to happen to Sheffield in about half a century.

Oiseau

I'm a purist except in certain circumstances. Stands should be named after individuals who've really contributed something to the club in question. Players and club 'legends' are probably the most appropriate option.

Does Hugh still go to Fulham matches out of interest?

SH47

I don't know if Man City ever thought about naming a stand after Colin Bell because then it could be known as the Bell End. Kind of suits them, maybe I should get in touch........

Mr_Moon

She doesn't even go and watch Sheffield United play, that's the funniest thing about it.

The way football fans and occasionally clubs cling onto celebrity fans as if to suggest they had a part in their success is ridiculous. I think one of the most common arguments in Sheffield must be whether the Arctic Monkeys are red or blue.

Jimpav

Now that is amusing Mr Moon. I expect Sean Bean is more than a little peeved also.

Mr_Moon

Quote"I'm a Sheffield United fan. Up the Blades! I never go and watch them but my family and my boyfriend are big supporters."

Lighthouse

Well we tried it with The Eric Miller Stand. I was rather hoping that that had put us off.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

EJL

I heard she's a Wednesday fan...

HatterDon

the Mohammed Al Fayed stand. What else could it be?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Holders

Quote from: Mr_Moon on September 03, 2012, 11:16:28 PM
She doesn't even go and watch Sheffield United play, that's the funniest thing about it.

The way football fans and occasionally clubs cling onto celebrity fans as if to suggest they had a part in their success is ridiculous. I think one of the most common arguments in Sheffield must be whether the Arctic Monkeys are red or blue.

Brass, surely?
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

I still find it hard to refer to the JH stand as anything else than Stevenage Road and that's undoubtedly well deserved.

I would guess that the new Riverside will be the Mo Fayed (not Mo Farah!).

Once a stand is named it really has to be after a true football legend, not a passing one or a local athlete however talented and these two (Haynes and Fayed) quality in my judgement.

However great some players and other figures from the past might have been they have to be lasting and there's not that many of them. The only others I could suggest might be Jimmy Hill for what he did off the pitch rather than on it and George Cohen for 1966.

Fact (Roy Hodgson please note): England has never won the World Cup without a Fulham player in the side.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

BishopsParkFantastic

In my view, stands should be named after truly great players, with long and loyal service to the club. Do people forget that MAF proposed to to sell Craven Cottage, and build a new ground? You never know what the future holds with owners of football clubs! Without a doubt, in my view, Johnny Haynes deserved the Stevenage Road stand to be named after him, and I think it has been a great touch (typical, and innovative of Fulham!) to have a pictorial montage of him on the end walls of the stand.

I would name the new riverside stand after "GEORGE COHEN" - with a pictorial montage to include his fantastic achievement of being in the England 1966 world cup winning team.

cebu

I think it should be named after MAF. There are other candidates, e.g. former players like George Cohen, but MAF won't be around forever and this rebuilding project may be the last one while he is still chairman. So it seems very appropriate. They could of course call it The Riverside Stand and rename it later when MAF passes on.

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: cebu on September 04, 2012, 09:43:53 AM
I think it should be named after MAF. There are other candidates, e.g. former players like George Cohen, but MAF won't be around forever and this rebuilding project may be the last one while he is still chairman. So it seems very appropriate. They could of course call it The Riverside Stand and rename it later when MAF passes on.

in my view, there might be credibility in the idea of naming a stand (or ground!) after an owner or benefactor, if that person is actually paying for the capital development, and not as a loan secured against personal or club assets. The new riverside stand is a commercial decision. it may cost £30m, but will probably generate (in tickets sales alone) over £5m a season. It will need a loan to get built, but will be secured and paid off by the club, I suggest.

MAF has put money into the club, but I understand that is a loan? The  monetry value of Fulham I suggest far exceeds the money put in and loans made by MAF. I think it is fantastic how MAF has, and continues to support Fulham Football Club - and long may it continue.

Riverside "GEORGE COHEN" stand, I believe it should be!

Sheepskin Junior

Quote from: SH47 on September 03, 2012, 11:15:07 PM
I don't know if Man City ever thought about naming a stand after Colin Bell because then it could be known as the Bell End. Kind of suits them, maybe I should get in touch........
There is the Colin Bell stand. Not as fun but still there
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

hurricane_nz

The McBride Stand or perhaps Uncle Roys Stand!