Started by NorthernWhite, September 07, 2012, 01:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flupp

He can score ...
He can pass....
He never gives up....
He is a REAL fighter ....

What are we waiting for ?????

He was definitely one of the best players in that weak Greece squad at the Euro !!!!!
It was like a different team playing when he was in the fist eleven for Greece

in my opinion we do nothing wrong to commit him  092.gif
"take me home al fayed to the place where i belong craven cottage by the river take me home al fayed"

ElissonSnygg

Apparently Karagounis passed his medical. Will be announced Monday.
Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

Zu-Meister

west kowloon white

No compassion for elderly out of work footballers then-only the non depressed-sorry I'll let it drop-apparantly v short term?

ElissonSnygg

HatterDon

the guy is past 30 and got released by a club in the Greek league -- i.e. not quite as strong as this season's SPL. I see no reason for anyone to think that this is a good signing. It seems like something that a club fighting relegation from the Championship might do.

It seems to me that "we want a younger squad" was really Dutch for "we want to get rid of the older players in our squad and replace them with other older players who will have their loyalty to me."

I could be wrong, though. This guy could be a significant upgrade over Danny Murphy. Yeah, right.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Hammer Smith

Quote from: HatterDon on September 08, 2012, 03:07:18 PM
the guy is past 30 and got released by a club in the Greek league -- i.e. not quite as strong as this season's SPL. I see no reason for anyone to think that this is a good signing. It seems like something that a club fighting relegation from the Championship might do.

It seems to me that "we want a younger squad" was really Dutch for "we want to get rid of the older players in our squad and replace them with other older players who will have their loyalty to me."

I could be wrong, though. This guy could be a significant upgrade over Danny Murphy. Yeah, right.

Clearly you are unaware of this player's ability and his experience plus his role in the recent Euro 2012 competition. I suggest you do some research before you post again on this subject.

twang

Diarra was a soon to be 31-year-old who had been out of work for more than 6 months, after being released by a club that were relegated to the French 2nd division, when we signed him.

And he's been just awful, hasn't he?

ffcbulgaria

Probably the team from Manchester recalled Giggs and Scholes to bring down the age of their squad?

Say what you will but we certainly didnt intend on being in such situation. Now we need to get someone for a cover till January or who knows maybe May.

I know people mention Ballack but he'll probably ask for even more than what Berbatov is on p/w and the greek won't be even close to our top earners.

ANd when comparing him to Danny Murphy - yea Karagounis is 12 days older...

MJG

HD I responded on a thread last week when you said those brought in were older than those who left and I showed you were incorrect.
Just because you keep saying it does not mean its right.

ffc73

As I see it, the majority of us would have been happy with Danny for another 12-months.  Danny chose to go for a 2-year deal at Blackburn and we may bring in a similar aged and experienced international performer described as "a dogged worker in midfield and a deliverer of fine set plays."

In our current situation its a no brainer to me as a 1-year or 6-month fix

Mr Fulham

the guy is past 30 and got released by a club in the Greek league -- i.e. not quite as strong as this season's SPL.

The Greek League is miles ahead of the SPL. And he decided to leave Panathinaikos.

I see no reason for anyone to think that this is a good signing.

He's still got a great stamina, a fantastic right foot and has got 120 caps for Greece. He's a leader and he's got bags of experience, played for Benfica and Inter before.
Clearly no reasons to think that he could possibly be a good signing, eh? fp.gif

It seems like something that a club fighting relegation from the Championship might do.

Or a club that could do with a few bodies in central midfield.

Kacaniklic, Frei, Kasami and loads of other players waiting to break through. We are indeed replacing older players with older players - and there's a very good reason for that.

I could be wrong, though.

Yup.

This guy could be a significant upgrade over Danny Murphy. Yeah, right.

Well, you can be sure that Murphy would've stayed had Dembele left before him. So all that Murphy-talk is a non-argument really.

Murphy wanted to be a starter, week in, week out, but Jol refused to guarantee this (and rightly so) because there was Dembele and Diarra as our top midfield pairing. Murphy left and now we are signing Karagounis who won't moan if he has to sit on the bench.

I think Jol would like to have Danny Murphy in the squad now that Dembele has left the football club.

But the argument is pants, to be honest with you Don.

ElissonSnygg

HatterDon

well, I certainly put the feline amongst the avians, didn't I.

I guess this guy played in a different Greek league than EJ played in. All I heard when he was scoring over there was "my granny could score in that league," and "that league's a joke." Guess it's one of those "slow ticket sales" and "only restricted view tickets left" situations.

I will quibble about one thing and that's the age of our squad. The last I heard the average age of our squad was 28 or 29. So, that would make a guy that's 30 plus older, hence, his addition would in fact make the squad older. If, indeed, Briggs, Stockdale, and Trotta are all to be loaned out, I think you'll find that the average age of our squad will be significantly higher than at any time under Hodgson or Hughes.

Oh, I also stand behind my interpretation of Jol's "we want to make the squad younger."

I haven't caused this much of a ruckus in a long while. I must be losing my grip.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

kiwiwaka

Fact is if we get one or two injuries in the centre, we are pretty screwed. We are only able to sign free transfers. I for one would be very happy with Karagounis, he might be 35 but he's still a good player. If anything it'll tide us over till either January, or next summer to spend big to replace Dembele (which I'm sure Jol tried to do in the limited time he had). Rather have someone old and proven quality than having to rely on inexperience come the important games down the line if we have any injuries.

Karagounis decided to leave the club, rather than him not being good enough. The next season and a half will be when our squad age drops with most likely the likes of Schwarzer, Duff, Davies and Hughes being replaced (probably, anyway).

Mr Fulham

Quote from: HatterDon on September 08, 2012, 08:04:06 PM

Oh, I also stand behind my interpretation of Jol's "we want to make the squad younger."

You've obviously forgotten Frei and Kacaniklic and all the other young players in and around the first team. Blimey.

Lighthouse

I will once again mention my fact. Which I have not checked. BUT against West Ham the starting 11 were the oldest team put out by Fulham in the Prem. So to add a 35 or whatever year old will not help that. I see no argument here. So despite people being excited by a few kids our squad is very very very old. No fault on poor Jol who I think was let down by somebody in the transfer window.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 08, 2012, 11:46:35 PM
I will once again mention my fact. Which I have not checked. BUT against West Ham the starting 11 were the oldest team put out by Fulham in the Prem. So to add a 35 or whatever year old will not help that. I see no argument here. So despite people being excited by a few kids our squad is very very very old. No fault on poor Jol who I think was let down by somebody in the transfer window.

So what?

I am happy to win the F.A. Cup with with a team of 35 year olds.

You don't get bonus points in the PL for winning when you are the younger team.

Yes, it would be better for continuity to have a better balance of ages but not at the expense of quality and success. We have the 30+ group and a fair group of 18-23 year olds. What we really lack are the 23-29 year olds in their prime.

Jack Fulham

Why is there such an obsession with the average age of the squad. Results matter. Average age does not.