watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Food Discussion

Started by Steve_orino, April 11, 2010, 05:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanJames

Personally for me you can't any better than a dry aged rib eye, but you're right they are not cheap. I try to stay away for the filet, it is such a over rated cut of steak (mushiness is mistaken for tenderness) and you can get it as part of a porterhouse.

As for my Valentine's meal, I made myself a chicken ceasar salad and enjoyed FSC.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

finnster01

Quote from: AmericanJames on February 15, 2011, 08:06:34 PM
Personally for me you can't any better than a dry aged rib eye, but you're right they are not cheap. I try to stay away for the filet, it is such a over rated cut of steak (mushiness is mistaken for tenderness) and you can get it as part of a porterhouse.

As for my Valentine's meal, I made myself a chicken ceasar salad and enjoyed FSC.
Mr James,
A Porterhouse is truly a man's steak. That is about half a cow...  :011:

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

finnster01

Quote from: duffbeer on February 15, 2011, 07:54:41 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on February 15, 2011, 06:56:17 PM
Quote from: duffbeer on February 15, 2011, 05:35:01 PM
Quote from: TheDaddy on February 14, 2011, 07:20:21 PM
My darling cooked me a lovely bit of joe blake last night garlic mushrooms fried eggs and side salad bloody lovely...

You English are so funny when it comes to food names.  Dare I ask what is a "Joe Blake"  and why did your darling cook him up for you?
Don't worry, he has me fooled too as Joe Blake to me is Cake but that recipe does seem not to be quite right unless it is separate dishes.

Oh, so it must be rhyming slang for steak.  Speaking of which, did your girlfriend like the Omaha's.  Do you get the filets?  I'm no good with steak unless I grill it on the barby, and I havent been able to do that lately.  Warm enough today though.  My mom claims beef/steak is no good these days because it's not dry-aged anymore.  Even if you can find it dry-aged nowadays it's as expensive as kobe beef.  You can get wet aged beef but  my mom says it's no good either.  My best friend believes in this dry aged stuff too, but I dont remember if beef was better when I was a kid cause I didnt like it all that much.  Anyone have an opinion on dry aged beef?

For Valentine's Day my husband brought home a 2006 Hidden Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon.  It was very nice but quite a big strong wine, even for a cab.  Would've gone nicely with steak, but unfortunately left overs were on the menu.
The Omaha went over real well  :yay: I must admit I thought it was excellent also. I can see where Mr James is coming from regd the filets, but I think it also has to do with the way you cook them. I marinade them in a hot pepper corn using Indian tellicherry peppers together with plain Italian dressing overnight. That gives them both a bit of bite and a herb flavour. Then when you make them, just fry/grill them on a hot stove for about 3 mins on one side before you turn them over. That seals the juice and then flip it. Don't muck around flipping back and forth just leave it until you have reached the way want them to be medium rare/medium/medium well etc. Serve them up with what ever sides you prefer (garlic mash or regular, broccoli, spinach, even fries) and just give the steaks an extra run of the tellicherry pepper grinder on top. And don't forget the Gijon mustard as a side condiment. Wonderful stuff.

I am still working on the dry aged stuff. It certainly is quality, I just have not tasted enough of a sample to rate it. The Omaha Steaks lot makes some great stuff. I did get the filets, the sirloin steaks, beef burgers, the filled sole with crab, the pork loin bone free chops, and the potatoes au gratin in a bundle at a very reasonable prize. It was shipped in a nice sealed container, perfectly still frozen at arrival. Lovely stuff and the bits I have tasted so far has pleasantly surprised me in a big way. I will order from them again when they run another good offer because it is rather pricey.

AmericanJames

Quote from: finnster01 on February 16, 2011, 01:25:07 AM
Quote from: AmericanJames on February 15, 2011, 08:06:34 PM

Mr James,
A Porterhouse is truly a man's steak. That is about half a cow...  :011:

Its a beautiful slab of meat to throw on the grill, coupled with a nice single malt and proper sides and you have yourself a proper evening

duffbeer

Finn, once you start buying Omaha steaks they will send you offers for that deal regularly.  They used to harass you with phone calls for special deals but I dont seem to get those anymore.  When I was a kid, an Omaha steaks salesman came to your door.  It is good stuff, but expensive enough that I usually only buy it when they have a special that interests me. 

James, ribeye is my favorite steak also.  I think I will hunt down some dry aged ribeye and do a side to side comparison with unaged ribeye. 

FC Silver Fox

Hmmmph.    A cow between two bread vans is MY type of steak sandwich.

(bet you haven't heard that one for a few years).

I created a new type of tiramisu last week. Instead of coffee/chocolate, I make a strong exotic tea (citrus fruits and spices). I add a little sugar and combova powder and let it cool down. I dunk champagne biscuits briefly in the tea and put them in a dish. I cover this with marscapone mixture (added egg yokes with sugar and then folded in well beaten egg whites. Put in freezer for 30 minutes to firm up and then cover with a packet of your favourite frozen red fruits (or fresh in season). Keep chilled before serving... and that's all there is to it.

This goes superbly well with some of Finnster's suggested port. I'd either go for a 10 year old tawny or a good LBV.

This version of a tiramisu is much lighter than the classic coffee/chocolate version.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

finnster01

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on February 16, 2011, 04:51:48 PM
Hmmmph.    A cow between two bread vans is MY type of steak sandwich.

(bet you haven't heard that one for a few years).

I created a new type of tiramisu last week. Instead of coffee/chocolate, I make a strong exotic tea (citrus fruits and spices). I add a little sugar and combova powder and let it cool down. I dunk champagne biscuits briefly in the tea and put them in a dish. I cover this with marscapone mixture (added egg yokes with sugar and then folded in well beaten egg whites. Put in freezer for 30 minutes to firm up and then cover with a packet of your favourite frozen red fruits (or fresh in season). Keep chilled before serving... and that's all there is to it.

This goes superbly well with some of Finnster's suggested port. I'd either go for a 10 year old tawny or a good LBV.

This version of a tiramisu is much lighter than the classic coffee/chocolate version.
:Sparkyticus:

AmericanJames

so how do this sound?
Homemade French Onion Soup with my on special blend of spices
and a hot roast beef sandwich with cheddar and dijon mustard on lightly toasted wheat bread

TheDaddy

Quote from: AmericanJames on February 20, 2011, 07:22:28 PM
so how do this sound?
Homemade French Onion Soup with my on special blend of spices
and a hot roast beef sandwich with cheddar and dijon mustard on lightly toasted wheat bread

The soup would repeat on me for weeks but the sarnie sounds delicious,

Had some toasted crumpets with melted mature cheese yesterday tastes good with egg and bacon too !

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

YankeeJim

Daddy, Sounds so much better then an Egg McMuffin.   :005:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

finnster01

I find anything that is food (i.e. not what food eats like vegetables) tastes better with some kind of dijon mustard concoction added. Meat + Mustard =  :003:

I guess I am a certified carnivore  :dft001:

McBridefan1

Quote from: finnster01 on March 04, 2011, 12:23:57 AM
I find anything that is food (i.e. not what food eats like vegetables) tastes better with some kind of dijon mustard concoction added. Meat + Mustard =  :003:

I guess I am a certified carnivore  :dft001:

Ha ha... 'not what food eats like vegetables'... classic :045:

YankeeJim

Right Daddy. On the low rent side of the FOF board they ARE chips!
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

finnster01

TheDaddy

had some lovely pork ribs sunday at my brothers bbq with jack daniels sauce

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

AmericanJames

Quote from: TheDaddy on April 28, 2011, 12:02:01 AM

+1 that looks great.
I went to a great bbq place in downtown detroit a couple days ago and wen tot town on their platter which included chicken, pulled pork and beef brisket. best bbq ive had outside the south

http://slowsbarbq.com/menu/entrees#item=big-three

Tom

James, is it worth going to when I come out there for the Michigan game? If so we need to go there.
Fulham for life!

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: TheDaddy on April 28, 2011, 12:02:01 AM

Cor blimey that's looks the dogs  :54: Dont like that Jd sauce though, but Kaz loves it.

FatFreddysCat

I was given some Polish bread yesterday and it had olives and peppers in it, very nice  :004: . Er indoors liked it and the mutt was going mental over it. Got about six differant loafs in total, but the rest looked  :020: