watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Food Discussion

Started by Steve_orino, April 11, 2010, 05:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McBridefan1

italian sausage w/onions and peppers and a beer at Fenway... but that will set you back 20 bucks so you better enjoy it. Usually I finance a bottle of water at the stadium, and eat at a restuarant after the game for roughly the same dough I would have spent on concessions. But on a lighter note, at the manchester (NH) fishercats games they serve a pretty good NE Clam Chowdah.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Steve_orino on May 03, 2010, 11:52:40 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 03, 2010, 04:30:44 PM
Steve Orino please dont get Thai currie confused with a proper Ruby (Indian curry) as it's completely differant and no where near as good. It makes me realise how lucky i am that i could ring about 15 /20 Curry houses and get it delivered to my house within the hour.

There ya go Fred, thanks for that - I wasn't quite sure if there was indeed a difference. 

Funny though, I consider myself lucky with all the Mexican restaurants around!   :54:
A few Mexican restuarants about here to, but mostly ghastly chain things. All the super markets sell Fajhita, Burrito, Nachos kits so we mainly eat it at home.

finnster01

Freddy,

Just like you can't get good ruby's here you certainly can't get a good Mexican in London. The stuff they serve out West here in the US is incredible (even in NY you can get a decent bite, but not as authentic as out west in my book. London you can forget about)

I love that stuff (in fact I love most stuff unfortunately, but I have dropped nearly 100 pounds over the last year and a half...I am now nearly as skinny as a rake. About 170 lb's +/-). Anyway my point is I like to eat.

Mole Pablano or Mole Negro out west on a burrito is absolutely heavenly. That stuff just tastes like the business
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Steve_orino

Holy Mole!  Good stuff Finn...Lengua - I've tried it and although I wouldn't go and order it, I must say it's not bad in a taco w/ cilantro, onions, and salt.

The other day I had a bite of some Green Thai Curry with rice and vegetables...just a bite, but it definitley peaked my interest!

Logical - A colleague at work gave me some Masala, so i think in two weeks or so we're going to knock out that recipe.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Steve_orino

American James - Ballpark fare...I always have to get a hot dog and some nachos with a brew.  But that's rather boring compared to some of the other stuff offered at other parks. 

My trip to Boston and Fenway included a sandwhich (don't think it was sausage but some beef with onions and peppers) that was just Amazing!  Nothin like that round here in Dallas. 

Chowdah!  We made it down into the Cape Cod Bay on that Boston trip and had some chowdah amongst other seafood...Delicious!
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Steve_orino

I used to work at a place called Bahama Breeze where they served carribean fare and a couple of seafood dishes.  One of the appetizers we had were the beef pastry-turnovers called West Indie patties.  They weren't too bad but seemed to leave a bit to desire...

After quitting the industry and getting back to the family business, I went to Calgary, AB for training and one of the guys took me to this Jamaican place for lunch where they had some Jamaican Patties...Good God Man were they delicious!!!  So spicy-hot and filled with beef and just yummy-goodness!

Anyone tried these things?
@Borino09

AmericanJames

I've never had anything like that, but I've had some pretty good carribean jerk chicken kabob with pineapple, chicken, some peppers and tomatoes. very enjoyable.
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Steve_orino on May 20, 2010, 12:30:36 AM
I used to work at a place called Bahama Breeze where they served carribean fare and a couple of seafood dishes.  One of the appetizers we had were the beef pastry-turnovers called West Indie patties.  They weren't too bad but seemed to leave a bit to desire...

After quitting the industry and getting back to the family business, I went to Calgary, AB for training and one of the guys took me to this Jamaican place for lunch where they had some Jamaican Patties...Good God Man were they delicious!!!  So spicy-hot and filled with beef and just yummy-goodness!

Spicy hot? wait till you try a vindaloo, you'll defo need a loo after. And American James i quite like Jerk Chicken myself, and curry goat, for some reason Jamicans dont say goat curry.

AmericanJames

[/quote] Spicy hot? wait till you try a vindaloo, you'll defo need a loo after. And American James i quite like Jerk Chicken myself, and curry goat, for some reason Jamicans dont say goat curry.
[/quote]

Freddy it may be because that goat curry doesn't sound too appetizing, this vindaloo sounds pretty good but have you tried a spicy buffalo wing??? chicken wings and legs slathered with flaming hot bbq sauce. a basket of 18 with a proper pint goes quite well during a game. 

finnster01

Quote from: AmericanJames on May 21, 2010, 09:55:30 AM

Spicy hot? wait till you try a vindaloo, you'll defo need a loo after. And American James i quite like Jerk Chicken myself, and curry goat, for some reason Jamicans dont say goat curry.
[/quote]

Freddy it may be because that goat curry doesn't sound too appetizing, this vindaloo sounds pretty good but have you tried a spicy buffalo wing??? chicken wings and legs slathered with flaming hot bbq sauce. a basket of 18 with a proper pint goes quite well during a game. 
[/quote]
Mr AmericanJames and Mr Freddy,

I am a vindaloo man, and as such suffer much pain in the bathroom especially the next day. However, I will say if you order "nuclear" buffalo wings you are in just as much trouble. I love spicy food, and buffalo wings have been a revelation to me. They are absolutely brilliant, especially here in NY and the East.

Nothing like a big dish of very hot buffalo wings sharing with a friend and watching Fulham on the big screen. Sigh...I have to wait to the other side of the summer...  :046:

Steve_orino

Buffalo Wings!!!  Do you guys not have those over there in England/UK? 

Not sure why I hadn't thought of those before when Am.James brought up Amer. Ballpark Fare; they're perfect for any football game!  A buddy of mine and I used to order pizza and wings every Sunday and watch the Am. Football games all day long.  There is a place around here called Wing Stop that makes them with all the hot flavors but then they also make them with other flavors, garlic-parmesan, teriyaki, lemon-pepper (yummy), and barbeque.  I imagine they're better in the Northeast though; less chain-places making them and more hole-in-the-wall places.

Those were the days...
@Borino09

FatFreddysCat

Gotta try them Buffalo wings, But how about i throw Steak and Kidney pudding into the mix?

AmericanJames

The wings are a must i had some yesterday with a pint and they definitely hit the spot after a round of golf. I'd love to try some steak and kidney pie next time I make it over. I had some great fish and chips, kabob and and a bit of bangers and mash last time

finnster01

I never had wings the way you make them here. Arse on fire, sweating like a pig, but enjoying every second of it. You have that Buffalo wings art down to a tee. Especially here on the east coast. :045:

In England, Fish and Chips is a bit of a dodgy proposition because if you don't do it right it can be very wrong and we are also very religious about what it should look and taste like. Bangers and mash a bit of the same, but I happen to love it in most places. Interestingly enough, I have struggled to find a decent bangers & mash place even at the Irish pubs in New York. It is OK, but not the same as you would get at your local in London.

Steak and Kidney pie is crap in my book, but Fat Freddy likes it.

Logicalman

Quote from: finnster01 on June 03, 2010, 04:47:29 AM
I never had wings the way you make them here. Arse on fire, sweating like a pig, but enjoying every second of it. You have that Buffalo wings art down to a tee. Especially here on the east coast. :045:

In England, Fish and Chips is a bit of a dodgy proposition because if you don't do it right it can be very wrong and we are also very religious about what it should look and taste like. Bangers and mash a bit of the same, but I happen to love it in most places. Interestingly enough, I have struggled to find a decent bangers & mash place even at the Irish pubs in New York. It is OK, but not the same as you would get at your local in London.

I know what you mean Mr F, about finding a good fish and Chips or Bangers and Mash over here. Just because they serve up something that has the appearance, and the waiter/waitress has an Irish accent, does make it taste the same.
If you ever get over the Midwest, there is a great pub in Lafayette, IN, called 9 Irish Brothers, and they are opening more I believe. They DO have authentic British grub in there, highly recommended, unlike some of the garbage I have been served in other 'authentic' British pubs here in the Midwest.

If you want to name a few good British food pubs you have found, we could start an index on here.

finnster01

Quote from: Logicalman on June 03, 2010, 10:29:38 AM
Quote from: finnster01 on June 03, 2010, 04:47:29 AM

My father was 8 siblings and so was my mums. My best mate growing up was part of 12...And he did have an Irish accent  :003:. We were only 4 and sadly enough Gooners except me and my late father and uncle.

But yes, a real good plate of bangers & mash seems hard to find Mr Logicalman, even in New York... :dft004:

[/size]

HatterDon

Everytime I go to the pub for a match, I usually order the "Expat's breakfast" with my Fuller's ESB. It's reputedly the old-style "full English breakfast." Well, there is a fried tomato half, two sausage links, and fries to go along with the two eggs. But where's the blood sausage slice? Where's the REAL English bangers? Where's the mountain of food that used to be labeled "full English farmhouse breakfast" when I first tasted them in the 60s? Ah, these kids today.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on June 03, 2010, 05:51:10 PM
Everytime I go to the pub for a match, I usually order the "Expat's breakfast" with my Fuller's ESB. It's reputedly the old-style "full English breakfast." Well, there is a fried tomato half, two sausage links, and fries to go along with the two eggs. But where's the blood sausage slice? Where's the REAL English bangers? Where's the mountain of food that used to be labeled "full English farmhouse breakfast" when I first tasted them in the 60s? Ah, these kids today.
Mr Hatter,
You are making an excellent choice, but I would be very upset of the missing banger or two. Not sure about the blood sausage, I would throw that into the "optional" bucket as I have had it either way. But I guess if you call it Old School Expats breakfast, it probably should be there as well. Two eggs is correct and the chips (not fries Mr Hatter, remember) and so is the tomato. I have also seen a bit of baked beans introduced which I personally like, but it will tend to make you fart a lot in the second half which may not be what the other punters in the pub wants 

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on June 03, 2010, 06:23:54 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on June 03, 2010, 05:51:10 PM
Mr Hatter,
You are making an excellent choice, but I would be very upset of the missing banger or two. Not sure about the blood sausage, I would throw that into the "optional" bucket as I have had it either way. But I guess if you call it Old School Expats breakfast, it probably should be there as well. Two eggs is correct and the chips (not fries Mr Hatter, remember) and so is the tomato. I have also seen a bit of baked beans introduced which I personally like, but it will tend to make you fart a lot in the second half which may not be what the other punters in the pub wants 

I had forgotten the baked beans -- and regarding your comment "above" in other words, if we're playing the Scoucers, you'd have a double order of beans, right?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

clintclintdeuce

I had this chicken and lamb shawarma in Romania that was by far the best thing ive ever eaten in my life. Even London couldnt match this shawarma.

I was in the Bahamas and had some curry and it wasnt even close to the stuff back in London. But the jerk conch was fantastic.

I had the vindaloo 18 hrs before my flight back to the states after the villa game last May. My only mistake was not sitting closer to the head on the plane.

Buffalo wings are a part of America now just as McDonalds is. Where Im at in Florida now, theres wing places on each corner. The hotter the better in my book.... as long as you have some celery.

And James, you know what the best stadium fare is..... its the footlong hot dog on the cibatta bun at the back of the Hammersmith mate. Close second is the hotdog in Clevelands Jacobs field with their own brand of spicy brown mustard.
The Dude abides.