watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Food Discussion

Started by Steve_orino, April 11, 2010, 05:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

And you are all ignoring the fact that Mr Fritz makes the best beer to go with anything, yet all the credit goes to Belgium and all their gay overpriced cherry beer
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Steve_orino

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on June 17, 2010, 12:49:06 PM
was just in Memphis's airport yesterday, and the wafting smell of BBQ when I got off my plane was absolutly incredible. The BBQ sub that I ate while following that smell was even better. They had this hot pepper relish with it as well..... so good.

Growing up in Texas, I assumed all barbeque was the same.  Wrong!  Watching one of those travel/discovery/hgtv channels, I was introduced to Kansas City BBQ, and Memphis BBQ, St Louis BBQ, Texas BBQ, & even Carolina BBQ!!!

Never liked it much growing up but after watching those shows and seeing that there such different styles; from sacues being thick to runny, peppery to sweet and the preparation being an art along with the different ways of cooking...I'm disappointed I neglected the cuisine for so long.

Some Dry-rub ribs = My favorite right now!  The missus and I found a peppery KC sauce to dip the meat into...yummy!  :004:
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

finnster01

Quote from: Steve_orino on June 18, 2010, 03:36:49 AM
was just in Memphis's airport yesterday, and the wafting smell of BBQ when I got off my plane was absolutly incredible. The BBQ sub that I ate while following that smell was even better. They had this hot pepper relish with it as well..... so good.

...Some Dry-rub ribs = My favorite right now!  The missus and I found a peppery KC sauce to dip the meat into...yummy!  :004:
Don't even mention that Mr Steve or you may find me very soon in your backyard. I'll bring the Fuller ESB's.

I just love a good BBQ. Thank you America, we give you BP and you give us BBQ... We just had our annual New York BBQ festival last weekend in the City, and  evidently we get the big BBQ stars visiting here for a weekend every year. There were about 20-25 of them with their tents, cooking up a storm and I just about ate myself to death. Will defo go back next year. They filmed it all and will be shown later on the Food Network. In fact, a certain yours truly was interviewed and may be shown (although I had had a few too many by then and may be edited out as my description of the food involved some rather colourful wording and since it is a family channel, they may not show it... )

AmericanJames

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 17, 2010, 11:32:15 PM
Quote from: AmericanJames on June 17, 2010, 10:50:44 PM
I enjoyed the Currywurst when i had it in Bremen, I thought it lived up to expectations, but the hot dog from the street vendor had to be the best thing i had during my short visit other than the Haake Beck that is.
Your coming from the US James, your expectancy of something with the word curry in would be greatly differant from mine. I tried it in a few locations just incase i'd got a bad one, and all were crap. Plain old Bratwurst rules. And they do the best scramble egg in the World.

I would guess so Freddy, i had no expectations going into it and i had never ever heard of it when I had tried it, thou the way you Brits talk about it im going to need to try a vindaloo next time i make the trip
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

finnster01

Quote from: AmericanJames on June 18, 2010, 07:22:52 AM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 17, 2010, 11:32:15 PM
Quote from: AmericanJames on June 17, 2010, 10:50:44 PM
I enjoyed the Currywurst when i had it in Bremen, I thought it lived up to expectations, but the hot dog from the street vendor had to be the best thing i had during my short visit other than the Haake Beck that is.
Your coming from the US James, your expectancy of something with the word curry in would be greatly differant from mine. I tried it in a few locations just incase i'd got a bad one, and all were crap. Plain old Bratwurst rules. And they do the best scramble egg in the World.

I would guess so Freddy, i had no expectations going into it and i had never ever heard of it when I had tried it, thou the way you Brits talk about it im going to need to try a vindaloo next time i make the trip
Mr James,

A friendly piece of advice, you may just start a little lower on the Richter scale than a Vindaloo in England if you are not used to it. It is literally like nuclear buffalo wings but hotter, you sweat like a pig, the arse is on fire for a couple of days (it burns in both ends), but it is strangely addictive and you find yourself coming back for more. I suggest you try an american version first (Indian restaurants here have their default filter a lot lower than in England so it is usually a lot milder) and if you can stomach that then go ahead feel free to try the real thing in London. But I would not recommend a full-on vindaloo in an old school curry house in England without a bit of practice first or you may find yourself spending your holiday on the Big White Mint instead of the Cottage.

FatFreddysCat

Have to agee with Finny on the vindaloo thing Mr James. Best start of with something mild like a phal  :dft012: .

TheDaddy

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 19, 2010, 08:42:48 PM
Have to agee with Finny on the vindaloo thing Mr James. Best start of with something mild like a phal  :dft012: .
You rotter Fredster i once watched my brother eat one of those for a bet.After watching two gallons of runny snort drip into the phal whilst he ate it at speed i decided a phal wasn't for me.He finished it and promptly thew up ! the bet was for a tenner it cost twice that in the larger department afterwards. :beer:
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

AmericanJames

ahaha i'll remember to wait for the phal and the vindaloo till after i've tried something a bit weaker (tho i do enjoy the nuclear buffalo wings on occasion)

Steve_orino

So Father's Day has come and gone and my one wish for that day was to have a Full English Breakfast and a F-E-B was what I got!!!  It was absolutely filliing and I enjoyed it immensely...only drawback was, the Missus didn't make it, we went to a local pub.  Quite a bit was going on and we weren't able to make time to pick up banger's and other key ingredients.

Pros: Eggs, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatos, beans...everything was there!  :004:
FULLER'S!!!  2 pints with breakfast!  Yummy!  :beer:  :beer:

Cons: I'm pretty certain the Missus could make it better than the pub.

Until we can find time for my better-half to make it, I will withold judgement on the breakfast - she's a good cook and I'm under the impression she could do the breakfast justice.
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

Steve_orino

Quote from: finnster01 on June 18, 2010, 04:26:45 AM
Quote from: Steve_orino on June 18, 2010, 03:36:49 AM

...Some Dry-rub ribs = My favorite right now!  The missus and I found a peppery KC sauce to dip the meat into...yummy!  :004:
Don't even mention that Mr Steve or you may find me very soon in your backyard. I'll bring the Fuller ESB's.

I just love a good BBQ. Thank you America, we give you BP and you give us BBQ... We just had our annual New York BBQ festival last weekend in the City, and  evidently we get the big BBQ stars visiting here for a weekend every year. There were about 20-25 of them with their tents, cooking up a storm and I just about ate myself to death. Will defo go back next year. They filmed it all and will be shown later on the Food Network. In fact, a certain yours truly was interviewed and may be shown (although I had had a few too many by then and may be edited out as my description of the food involved some rather colourful wording and since it is a family channel, they may not show it... )

The family is going down to San Antonio in mid-November...if you're able to figure out a way to swing it, you could join us with HatterDon (a resident of the fine city of San Antonio) and if we can't find a BBQ joint, there will definitely be a Mexican joint around.  We're hoping to catch the Newcastle game on the Tele too!
@Borino09

McBridefan1

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 19, 2010, 08:42:48 PM

I went over a neighbor's house who happened to be Indian, she was frying up some peppers and I litterally choked and my eyes started watering... from the smell...  if I had eaten her nuclear food I might not be here today. I remember indians coming  into the pizza place I used to work at as a kid and they would bring in their own peppers to put on the pizza, them phukers love their shlt, lava hot. Buffalo wings are a cool glass of milk compared to authentic indian food.

AmericanJames

I was in Chicago over the weekend and besides the very enjoyable bar scene, i indulged in two Chi-town classics first was a Chicago style hot dog which is a hot dog on a poppy seed bun, neon green relish, diced tomatoes, and a spicy mustard.  The second was an Italian beef http://alsbeef.com/ which was out of the world. I would have gotten some Chicago pizza but I didn't want to ruin my efforts from the Slim like Jim contest

TheDaddy

If any of you are come over you have to try this Roast beef wrapped in a yorkshire pudding with a dollop of horseradish.Your find it in any GREENE KING IPA ALE HOUSE.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: TheDaddy on July 27, 2010, 03:21:10 AM
If any of you are come over you have to try this Roast beef wrapped in a yorkshire pudding with a dollop of horseradish.Your find it in any GREENE KING IPA ALE HOUSE.
I'm going to have to try that myself the Daddy. Good to see the food thread back on the go  :54: .

TheDaddy

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on July 27, 2010, 06:23:47 PM
I'm going to have to try that myself the Daddy. Good to see the food thread back on the go  :54: .
Fred you wont regret it its bloody tasty mate.

Logicalman

That just reminds me so much of Beef Wellington

finnster01

Mr Logicalman,

That is in essence exactly what it is. Bloody tasty though.

finnster01

Last weekend my girlfriend and I was invited to a friend of mine's beach club in Connecticut. Wonderful and posh beyond belief (full memberships are 180 000 dollars for a share and they have a wait list...)

Anyway, we didn't use much of the impressive facilities other than a quick tour and then settled for the pick-nick tables in the shadow of some grand old trees. Well prior to going there our host stopped by the local fish monger/deli and picked up a bunch of freshly made Maine lobster rolls. They were at least an inch and a half thick of the moistest and freshest lobster meat you will ever eat. Just a small bit of mayo and in the freshest of buns. And then he got some delicious crab cakes too. His wife had made a delicious orza salad and lemon pie for dessert.

It was absolutely orgasmic. I think some of the new englanders here posted about Maine lobster earlier, but I can absolutely recommend the fare. 

YankeeJim

I spent two weeks in the area last October & I don't think I had one bad meal: lobster, fish & clam chowder, cod steaks, mussles, scallops & crab cakes. As you said Finney, orgasmic. There were also these little road side stands where you could pick up fresh picked veggies, razzberries & blueberries. I should also mention that most American of things, fresh silver queen corn on the cob. You English don't know what your missing.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

tjl

Try fresh Sark spider crab or local lobster not to beaten, a friend when working on a local boat would supply me with lobster unfit for sale ie, a leg missing this making it unsalable so lobster rolls for lunch just a bit up from cheese and pickle.