more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Food Discussion

Started by Steve_orino, April 11, 2010, 05:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McBridefan1

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on September 29, 2010, 10:10:08 AM
How did I miss this thread? Cooking and wine are two of my passions (apart from Fulham and 'er indoors). I'm sure I've put on 5 pounds just reading the last 10 pages.
Now, much as I love a good curry, I don't go along with you all categorizing this as typical English/London fare.  Nowhere in this thread is there a mention of the only dish that you can only find in London: Pie'n'mash (with lots of liquor and optional jellied eels). You must give it a try if you come to London. I'm sure the Fredster can recommend one of the few remaining pie'n'mash shops in London.
As for the USA, I've eaten some wonderful meals there but I drew the line at the Roadkill cafe (you kill it, we cook it) and Roadkill cookouts.

http://www.angelfire.com/de3/tripmaker/index4.html
http://www.2camels.com/roadkill-cook-off.php

I'll stop there because if I start going into some of my French recipes and dishes, I'll fill another 10 pages.
ok, I'll own up and make a confession. I have actually done my own roadkill cookout. I accidently ran over and killed a large pheasant in France a number of years ago. I stopped, threw it in the boot, took it home and then made a delicous pheasant pate with it.
I suppose you could say, pheasant or possum , its just a question of semantics.

Oh mr french I had no idea you were a hill billy... I didn't even know they had hill folk in france...

McBridefan1

you say pheasant I say pigeon...

pettyfog

A: Pheasants is 'purty', possums aint.  Pate is perfect for a roadkill.  
Because a pate fits with a little gamey bouquet. OTOH: I dont like 'gamey' taste of hunt kill so I quit hunting.  

B: Pigeons are also prettier than possums.  I would eat 'country pigeon', but not city pigeon... just sort of put off by their environment.

C: Possum Stew is the only conceivable dish to make of ugly critter .. but I'd still rather eat snake.

Back to A;  Want to see a national Canadian Geese Pate fad ... anything to reduce the population of the dumbest bird ever to be 'protected' by tree hugging idiots. To the point where you literally cannot 'barefoot in the park' with your kids.  Far worse problem in most parks than dogs are.

TheDaddy

Finn,

Christmas dinner in my household is....

Breakfast Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Egg on toast.

Dinner Roast duck and all the trimmings no bloody Turkey in site and the good thing about Duck is theres hardly any meat on it so you don't get it for the next six weeks in different guises.
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

duffbeer

Quote from: finnster01 on October 09, 2010, 06:38:35 PM
Quote from: duffbeer on October 06, 2010, 03:20:35 PM

What a great idea for a Christmas dinner, Ms DuffBeer. Especially in the colder climates that time of the year. Nothing like a nice gumbo and a hot spicy jambalaya or blackened seafood when it is cold outside.

I think you have just given me an excellent idea because I am soooo tired of the old Christmas turkey/ham/even rib routine every year.  :clap_hands: :clap_hands:

Mr. Finn, now that you are in the US, you should be having turkey every Thanksgiving so you definitely need to go another route for Christmas dinner.  I make a non-traditional dinner for Christmas Eve, but on the actual day, I make a prime rib with popovers.  If you're not familiar with the latter, they are little muffin-sized yorkshire puddings.  I've always meant to make yorkshire pudding instead but have never done it.  They were may favorite, and probably only, culinary revelation from the time that I lived in England.  Contrary to what all you expats have said on here, I found English cusine inferior to that in the US on pretty much all accounts, even Indian.  But that debate can be saved for another day.  I love Yorkshire pudding.  Oh and I forgot the obvious, fish and chips.  The English are the best at that.  Oh and I forgot ale, Brits are the best at that too.

finnster01

Quote from: TheDaddy on October 11, 2010, 12:26:19 AM
Finn,

Christmas dinner in my household is....

Breakfast Smoked Salmon and Scrambled Egg on toast.

Dinner Roast duck and all the trimmings no bloody Turkey in site and the good thing about Duck is theres hardly any meat on it so you don't get it for the next six weeks in different guises.
Mr Daddy,
That breakfast has me sold, hands down. Add a little onion and sprinkle some capers on that and you have a winner. Perhaps with even a small glass of champagne to go with that, and if I am really clever I keep the idea to myself and surprise the lady with a breakfast in bed. That should score some brownie points I reckon.

The dinner is a good call also but as Ms DuffBeer points out, I will probably be in the last week of digesting the Thanksgiving leftover turkey in many permutations so I still lean towards her unusual Cajun dinner. Too much poultry for me with that backdrop (even if it is a duck, which is an excellent bird) and I can see myself wanting something else.

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

TheDaddy

MR FINN,

The christmas breakfast has become a bit of a tradition in my household i started it when i was still with the boys mum.Now they come over to see us during the festivities just to have it .Champange is a good call goes down well with it.

Now i have to say im a man of the world food wise,Will try anything so if your be so kind how about a recipe from yourself or significant other.Have never eaten Cajun food but fancy a go.

Good luck with the turkey i always found it handy leaving it on the side and the door open.

A DOG IS NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS BUT HELPS CLEARING THE TURKEY !

pettyfog

Quote from: TheDaddy on October 12, 2010, 05:15:14 AM
Good luck with the turkey i always found it handy leaving it on the side and the door open.

A DOG IS NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS BUT HELPS CLEARING THE TURKEY !

When I was a boy, my uncle and grandmother owned a turkey farm.  Imagine my joy on hearing we were going there for the holiday dinners.
Took me years to overcome the conditioned aversion. Even in the fifties, most large family gatherings offered ham as an option. Not them!

Hint:  Only thing dryer and tougher than 'factory turkey' is 'Free Range Turkey'.  Butterball brand became a hit for a reason.

FatFreddysCat

Smoked Salmon is yuksville  :046: . Though it used to earn me a few quid when i had a job delivering seafood, That and Monkfish that i delivered in very large quantitys to a certain Scandi airline, not quite as large by the time it got to Heathrow  :dft012: .

TheDaddy

At the moment i cant get enough of this Liver,Onions mash and gravy

beautiful

finnster01

Mr Daddy,

My mother gave me too much liver growing up, so now I can't stand it no matter how much lipstick you put on that bulldog.  :020:

TheDaddy

Quote from: finnster01 on October 13, 2010, 06:05:54 PM
Mr Daddy,

My mother gave me too much liver growing up, so now I can't stand it no matter how much lipstick you put on that bulldog.  :020:

Its been only a couple of years since ive started eating it for a very simular reason as you . My dad use to fry it until it was so dry you could heal your shoe with it !

AmericanJames

I've never tried liver but I can't see myself eating the poison filter of another animal, I kno what i do to my liver  :beer: so i cant see myself wanting to enjoy that
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

FatFreddysCat

Slightly off topic but i've just rediscovered hot Ribena, i've got proper manflu and feel like poo, but this is perking me up a bit. Oh ans just about to have Spagheeti on toast which i haven't had in years in(Heinz obviously).

TheDaddy

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on October 14, 2010, 08:50:11 AM
Slightly off topic but i've just rediscovered hot Ribena, i've got proper manflu and feel like sh1t, but this is perking me up a bit. Oh ans just about to have Spagheeti on toast which i haven't had in years in(Heinz obviously).

Fred your taking me back in time sitting in bed mum bringing spaghetti on toast a few days of bed and mummy loving soon got me in the right frame of mind to go to school.

Try beans on toast with grated cheese Lovely

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: TheDaddy on October 15, 2010, 02:58:46 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on October 14, 2010, 08:50:11 AM
Slightly off topic but i've just rediscovered hot Ribena, i've got proper manflu and feel like sh1t, but this is perking me up a bit. Oh ans just about to have Spagheeti on toast which i haven't had in years in(Heinz obviously).

Fred your taking me back in time sitting in bed mum bringing spaghetti on toast a few days of bed and mummy loving soon got me in the right frame of mind to go to school.

Try beans on toast with grated cheese Lovely
pah i'm an old hand at the beans and cheese Daddy. Go to Turkey and have their tomatoe soup with melted cheese in it, superb. Dosen't work over here.

TheDaddy

Going on from when i was a kid do any of you have a favorite meal/food .

I always remember going home for dinner during school break ,a few favorites were toast and beef dripping,sugar sandwiches and Bananas in milk for breakfast .

since meeting my partner jo (midlands lass) i've found Lard again the best way to fry bacon bloody lovely ! Mind you my arteries are probably buggered.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: TheDaddy on October 16, 2010, 01:04:55 PM
Going on from when i was a kid do any of you have a favorite meal/food .

I always remember going home for dinner during school break ,a few favorites were toast and beef dripping,sugar sandwiches and Bananas in milk for breakfast .

since meeting my partner jo (midlands lass) i've found Lard again the best way to fry bacon bloody lovely ! Mind you my arteries are probably buggered.
At school we used to get a chocolate sponge in a chocolate custard , lovely  :54:

TheDaddy

Perfered trecale sponge and custard myself.Did help that i was friends with one of the dinner ladies sons, So if their was any afters/seconds we got first dips....

Trying to cook a prawn and Chorizo Paella tonight love the stuff but have never cooked it myself !

finnster01

Quote from: TheDaddy on October 19, 2010, 06:13:40 PM
Perfered trecale sponge and custard myself.Did help that i was friends with one of the dinner ladies sons, So if their was any afters/seconds we got first dips....

Trying to cook a prawn and Chorizo Paella tonight love the stuff but have never cooked it myself !
That is the business Mr Daddy. try adding some fresh mussels or clams as well to the paella and a decent bottle of wine (I prefer white with paella, but red can do too if you are adding a fair amount of chorizo). I am getting hungry now...not a good thing :-(