more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Ruiz - that is it then?

Started by Robbie, September 15, 2012, 08:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senior Supporter

Quote from: michaelread on September 16, 2012, 11:48:54 AM
this might come as a total shock to some of you, but football players who didn't grow up following fulham probably don't love the club as much as you do.

crazy thought, I know.

You've got to be kidding. In that case we should get rid of them all. I don't want players here who wouldn't die for the shirt, etc, etc.   064.gif

Berserker

Well Mr Berserker and myself are split regarding Ruiz. Mr B is not a Fulham supporter but comes to matches with me sometimes, he's not keen on Ruiz and doesn't overly rate him. I on the other hand feel he has flashes of brilliance and feel he has great potential, but i am worried that if he doesn't start playing more Ruiz will lose interest in Fulham, I think this could be partially caused by his injuries.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Jack Fulham

He is considered the best player at the club by all the coaches. Well maybe not any more as Berba has come in but yeah I don't see why people are complaining. Isn't it better to have more options. Every player offers something different.

MJG

Usually players become better when they are out the team. Ruiz seems to break that rule and is deemed surplus to requirements by some.

hesedmedia

Quote from: ScalleysDad on September 15, 2012, 11:28:54 PM
Sorry to upset everybody but.
I sat next to a fella today who pointed out that Ruiz spent the time he was on view on the balcony texting like a madman and not watching the game. He had a point. We noticed he did'nt stand to see Berbatov despatch the penalty and he left really early, the ground that is not the balcony. I had overheard a conversation at Old Trafford where it was said that he, Ruiz, apparently is'nt 'getting it', the whole Fulhamish thing that is, unlike the likes of Petric who have embraced it. Time will tell but the approach play we saw in patches today will see off Wigan and was'nt it great to see the new kids on the block in the squad with Frei still to come back. Diarra back for the City game and perhaps Petric for 'Dave', a similar engine room for Southampton and use the width and before we know it we are seven eight games in and for me the question remains .......... is that it then or at least is he no longer the foundation stone the team will be built around? His absences are getting quite frequent so it would be wise to adopt another plan methinks.

Off to dig a trench then

Have you considered that it's possibly quite painful to be an expensive player having your first few decent performances after a first season gone missing interrupted by injury, also after promising to show more quality in the press? And that perhaps it's more difficult to consciously invest more emotionally in spectating your teammates playing well without you in that scenario?

itombomb

He is hugely talented, the only issue is that I'm not sure how he fits into the team. Jol likes proper wingers and you wouldn't think he is necessarily the best partner for Berba as they offer quite similar things.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: hesedmedia on September 16, 2012, 05:21:09 PM
I sat next to a fella today who pointed out that Ruiz spent the time he was on view on the balcony texting like a madman and not watching the game. He had a point. We noticed he did'nt stand to see Berbatov despatch the penalty and he left really early, the ground that is not the balcony. I had overheard a conversation at Old Trafford where it was said that he, Ruiz, apparently is'nt 'getting it', the whole Fulhamish thing that is, unlike the likes of Petric who have embraced it. Time will tell but the approach play we saw in patches today will see off Wigan and was'nt it great to see the new kids on the block in the squad with Frei still to come back. Diarra back for the City game and perhaps Petric for 'Dave', a similar engine room for Southampton and use the width and before we know it we are seven eight games in and for me the question remains .......... is that it then or at least is he no longer the foundation stone the team will be built around? His absences are getting quite frequent so it would be wise to adopt another plan methinks.

Off to dig a trench then

Have you considered that it's possibly quite painful to be an expensive player having your first few decent performances after a first season gone missing interrupted by injury, also after promising to show more quality in the press? And that perhaps it's more difficult to consciously invest more emotionally in spectating your teammates playing well without you in that scenario?

Actually folks I was just pointing out a scenario I had been made aware of and there was, or seemed to be, some substance to it. That is all. I think Ruiz was a great purchase and yes he must be gutted not to be the king pin yet, (missed that opportunity now imho), and yes watching your team mates get along very nicely without you must be galling but ....... he has'nt set the world on fire, his input this season is a game against a wide open midfield and he is injured again so getting any consistency to his game within the team is on hold again. The team personnel and The Jol Plan has changed since his purchase and the problem Ruiz has is that he has missed most of the evolution. As an example and like the others have mentioned where would he go for next saturdays game? If uninjured and match fit would you change the centre mid again, (would that be the fourth game running),would you drop 'Dave' to the bench and not bother with Petric or would you chop AK? From any angle the change would come at the expense of a cog that seems to be working and Ruiz going straight back into the team would be like another experiment. I'm not saying he is rubbish, I'm not saying he is a waste of money I am just agreeing with the debate that maybe he is not destined to be the fulcrom of the side after all. I would then go on to agree that ten million plus is alot for a sub.

hesedmedia

Quote from: ScalleysDad on September 16, 2012, 06:42:35 PM
Quote from: hesedmedia on September 16, 2012, 05:21:09 PM

Off to dig a trench then

Actually folks I was just pointing out a scenario I had been made aware of and there was, or seemed to be, some substance to it. That is all. I think Ruiz was a great purchase and yes he must be gutted not to be the king pin yet, (missed that opportunity now imho), and yes watching your team mates get along very nicely without you must be galling but ....... he has'nt set the world on fire, his input this season is a game against a wide open midfield and he is injured again so getting any consistency to his game within the team is on hold again. The team personnel and The Jol Plan has changed since his purchase and the problem Ruiz has is that he has missed most of the evolution. As an example and like the others have mentioned where would he go for next saturdays game? If uninjured and match fit would you change the centre mid again, (would that be the fourth game running),would you drop 'Dave' to the bench and not bother with Petric or would you chop AK? From any angle the change would come at the expense of a cog that seems to be working and Ruiz going straight back into the team would be like another experiment. I'm not saying he is rubbish, I'm not saying he is a waste of money I am just agreeing with the debate that maybe he is not destined to be the fulcrom of the side after all. I would then go on to agree that ten million plus is alot for a sub.

Fair enough, it just seemed a bit harsh to infer conclusions about his attitude from his behavior as a spectator. I think you're right about what has happened as regards the development of Plan Jol, but I'd put him in for Roda in a heartbeat, and have him play behind the Berbs for home or less-physical games, and try Petric in the hole there (or swapping at random with Berba as the false 9) for physically tougher matches. Ruiz at the Britannia would just give me all sorts of shivers. Perhaps he does end up evolving in those matches to the key man, perhaps not. If he does end up being primarily a sub, I'd agree, that's a lot of money, especially with the Michus of the world out there.

TonyGilroy

Jol has said that Ruiz cost far less than £10M.

The project has to be a successful team. For me it's a no brainer to keep yesterday's team for Wigan. If Ruiz, Petric, Diarra, Richardson etc can make the bench then they'll be options to be used as necessary and then on to the next team selection.

There's no need for Ruiz to be considered as essential or disposable or anything in between. If he gets on and does well Jol will have some thinking to do.

Right now he must be delighted at yesterday's performance and if those players perform well they should keep their places.

A Humble Man

Good day yesterday as Jol changed the system as he said he would and the players he used were able to work within these parameters perfectly. No attempts to thread the ball through the middle just quick and decisive passes to the wingers or attacks by the backs down the wings.  

Do not change a winning system or a winning Team who ever is fit next week and we may crush Wigan in a more effective way than Man U did.  
We Are Fulham, Believe.

NogoodBoyo

I wonder if the Murphy/now Diarra game plan is to slide quick balls through the middle or into inside forward space whereas the Sidwell/Bairdinho game yesterday was to ping pin-pointedly accurate 60 yard passes to Duff and Kaca who sat very wide to stretch the defence.  This was even before the sending off. 
We haven't seen that in a Fulham side for years!
Jol's style seems to like being unpredictable (Art of War), so I think we'll see a mixture of both these very contrasting styles this season.  I just hope we can make one or both of these game plans work away from home every now and then.
Nogood "tactically naive, I am isit" Boyo

rhyspabsolom

I sat next to a fella today who pointed out that Ruiz spent the time he was on view on the balcony texting like a madman and not watching the game. He had a point. We noticed he did'nt stand to see Berbatov despatch the penalty and he left really early, the ground that is not the balcony.

Begs the question, why were you lot watching the balcony instead of the game / penalty.

Pot / kettle.

bizarrebaz

Personally I am drooling at the possibility of watching Ruiz Berbatov and Petric play in tandem. Lovely quick intelligent flicks in tight spaces to finish exquisitely. Bring it on.

ScalleysDad

Quote from: rhyspabsolom on September 17, 2012, 07:50:56 AM
I sat next to a fella today who pointed out that Ruiz spent the time he was on view on the balcony texting like a madman and not watching the game. He had a point. We noticed he did'nt stand to see Berbatov despatch the penalty and he left really early, the ground that is not the balcony.

Begs the question, why were you lot watching the balcony instead of the game / penalty.

Pot / kettle.

We could toss a donut onto the back benches from where we sit. We were all jumping up and down for the pen and he caught my eye then, Mrs Petric is a distraction and the guy next to me predicted Smith would be on the bench as he pointed out his parents sitting next to Mr Frei senior. I am not staring directly ahead all of the time

sheesh now I'm thinking about Mrs Petric again...................

TonyGilroy

Quote from: bizarrebaz on September 17, 2012, 08:02:06 AM
Personally I am drooling at the possibility of watching Ruiz Berbatov and Petric play in tandem. Lovely quick intelligent flicks in tight spaces to finish exquisitely. Bring it on.

Absolutely but it won't be such fun if our defence isn't being protected and those three are waiting for someone to give them the ball.

Every team we beat, obviously, plays badly but on Saturday I thought we got the basics right by being solid and using that as the platform to create chances.

MJG

Quote from: bizarrebaz on September 17, 2012, 08:02:06 AM
interested in knowing how you would line up the other three players in midfield?