more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Biggest signing in Fulham history

Started by F(f)CUK, September 16, 2012, 09:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F(f)CUK

Jol thinks its Berbatov.

How about Mullery, Moore, Marsh, Best. Of those I would say Moore or Best would be bigger.

TonyGilroy

Best and Moore were at the end of their careers.

The biggest wtf signing was Edwin Van Der Sar by a mile.

Arguably the best goalkeeper in the world at the time coming to Fulham? No way.

epsomraver

Lighthouse

I don't see Berbatov in the same jaw dropping signing as ANY of those mentioned. Great player but we really will have to stop thinking the club doesn't deserve to be where they are. Jol is right to play up Berbatov for his ego but someone needs to point out we have had plenty of bigger fish. Or at least they were at the time.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Me-ate-Live, innit??

In fairness to Jol he probably arrives at the cottage by boat and has only see the other statue  064.gif

ron

I thought that the signing of Allan Clarke heralded a great new beginning back in the 'sixties, when it seemed that we were able to attract quality players to build a bright future. How sadly that false dawn turned out.

But don't dismay folks, the bright future is here and now!

zzamora

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 16, 2012, 09:47:46 AM
I don't see Berbatov in the same jaw dropping signing as ANY of those mentioned. Great player but we really will have to stop thinking the club doesn't deserve to be where they are. Jol is right to play up Berbatov for his ego but someone needs to point out we have had plenty of bigger fish. Or at least they were at the time.

Yeah its not like Berbatov cost 30 million a few seasons ago, or top scored in the Premier League.

Lets get this straight: Berbatov should be playing top 4, not top 10. This is a massive signing for us.

Aldo

How about Chris Coleman? Considering our league standing at the time and then his Fulham career from there he was a fantastic signing!

Classic94

Alongside Van Der Sar, this is the biggest signing in our recent history.

Berbatov was amongst the best strikers in world football less than 2 seasons ago when Man United paid in excess of 30m for him. At 31, he's hardly past it and is still a world class centre-forward. To be honest, seeing him in a Fulham shirt hasn't quite sunk in but i'm glad he's here.

We are an established PL side now so we can attract higher-quality players, but Berbatov could have gone to any Champions League club (with the possible exceptions of Madrid + Barca) and made the starting XI - it's a huge coup. I think we have Jol to thank for this one.

tommy

I think if you look at the impact Berbatov can have with us, then I wouldn't argue against him being our biggest signing. If his goals get us to our highest ever league position 6th/7th again then he could be our biggest ever signing. He has a lot of work to do though before he can have that title.

b+w geezer

Depends if we rule out players who hadn't yet developed into top-notch, or who were megastars way beyond peak. (I'd rule out both). If so, then Van der Sar is the nearest comparison and tops Berba for impact at the time, since we were less accustomed then to having top names. However, goalscorer trumps goalkeeper in the glamour stakes,  and since we have never signed one with such a high pedigree, so recently attained, I make Jol right.

fulhamben

ever thought he has said this to deter from the fact that he has just sold to of our best players ever
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Burt

George Best. By a mile. He may have been past his best, but he was the Beckham of the era, and added 10-15,000 on to our attendances overnight.

west kowloon white

He may have a point-Van  Der Sar a good shout-otherwise over the hill types-whilst the Moore/Mullery period was gratifying at that level..just something tells me he won't be a Fulham legend-really hope to be proved wrong.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: fulhamben on September 16, 2012, 11:46:55 AM
ever thought he has said this to deter from the fact that he has just sold to of our best players ever

It wasn't Jol that sold them but I doubt any other Fulham manager could have got Berbatov to sign for us.

fulhamben

Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 16, 2012, 11:48:47 AM

It wasn't Jol that sold them but I doubt any other Fulham manager could have got Berbatov to sign for us.
so if jol doesnt sell players then surely he doesnt sign them either.

TonyGilroy

Quote from: fulhamben on September 16, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Do you really think that Jol thought it would be a good idea to sell Dempsey and Dembele? There are financial realities beyond his control that he has to live with just as we do.

Berbatov has made a point of saying that Jol attracted him to Fulham.

west kowloon white

And was not much more than a night...had forgotten we'd sold our two best players-Jol's really cunning!!

fulhamben

Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 16, 2012, 11:52:56 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on September 16, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Do you really think that Jol thought it would be a good idea to sell Dempsey and Dembele? There are financial realities beyond his control that he has to live with just as we do.

Berbatov has made a point of saying that Jol attracted him to Fulham.
and do you really think that jol was given a budget and could sign anyone without asking the board for permission first? love all this its mangers that buy players and boards that sell them.. prey tell whos fault is it then that all the players we tried to sign on deadline did not materialise.. yes jol would have been a factor but then it was also said so was our location. if jol was at say wigan do you think he would of gone there?