more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

American Fans

Started by Andy_M, September 17, 2012, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alternative

Quote from: King_Crud on September 17, 2012, 02:49:57 PM
I thought they all fled once Eddie Johnson left?
Quote from: David_Keating on September 17, 2012, 02:49:24 PM
I am not sure, but it seems like there are a fair amount of Americans living in the Fulham area; just around the area, I usually hear a lot of American accents, not necessarily on match day unless they're are all on vacation which I find doubtful;once the Fulham bug gets under you're skin its hard to get rid of it.

I know. I really hate that.

valdeingruo

You cant really boot us out till the houston born Hangeland leaves!  Joking aside I was supporting Fulham before Dempsey and i will certainly continue to support Fulham until my dying breath. When Dempsey left it was a bit surreal, not because he was an American leaving but because our longest serving player has left. My kits do not have his name on the back, instead the likes of Duff, Murphy, Davies and soon to be Hangeland. My friends know me as that "weird guy who likes the other sport" It is well known that I support Fulham, I even wore a kit in the tournement we had when a 7 a side at the camp i was stationed on overseas much to the shock of Chelsea, Barca and Real clad players.

COYW is about as much as an Amen as you can get from me.

Side note, its become my hobby to pop over to a Spurs board to see the shift of only Dempsey fans.
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

NewYorkYank

I have refused to post this summer, hoping to force my transfer to a Champions League blog, although I would consider a move to the Spurs blog for the right price (I cannot bring myself to say I would consider a transfer to the Liverpool page even in jest).

Lighthouse

Yet another will they wont they thread. Two Englishman in the squad and yet I remain loyal. But will THEY go.

Well some American fans have but many haven't because they are Fulham fans. In the same way that some Brits like that funny American football and don't care who is playing.

I think the days of supporting a club because of nationality are going fast.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cmg

Quote from: epsomraver on September 17, 2012, 02:35:41 PM

Darn it, we live in hope! 086.gif 086.gif

Just like Bill Clinton.

RidgeRider

Quote from: epsomraver on September 17, 2012, 02:35:41 PM
There is, however, a hard core of American Fulham who will not leave. I'm one of them.

Darn it, we live in hope! 086.gif 086.gif

HAHA! I'm not leaving.   yee-haw!

horse1031

cant get rid of me.  still would like Michael Bradley to come play for Fulham.

RidgeRider

Quote from: Andy_M on September 17, 2012, 02:27:47 PM
It wasn't meant as a question to offend anyone, just seemed like a logical question to ask as our American fanbase certainly increased during the period we had American players, so I was merely wondering if now those players have left if those American fans would still remain.

I know some of our American fans are very passionate and just because they may have only started following us when some of the American players joined doesn't mean they are any less a fan or in many cases any less knowledgable than the rest of us.

I wasn't by any means moaning about "tourists" or anything along those lines just merely seeking to find out if we had lost a section of our following since the loss of Dempsey. But agree we will have certainly gained a Bulgarian following with the signing of Berba.

Andy_M, it's a fair question and one that has come up before. Those that only came for our ex-Fulham American players are probably gone already and those of us who support the team will remain. I support the shirt, badge and the club, not necessarily any one players. Players come and go. Our American support remains strong, so Yanks will still love the club.

Berserker

Just out of interest have we lost Dembele fans?
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

LordNelson

Do we still have any Hungarians about?  Don't mess with the Zoltan!
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: horse1031 on September 17, 2012, 04:59:20 PM
cant get rid of me.  still would like Michael Bradley to come play for Fulham.

I can't see that happening any time soon. He's right where he's always aspired to be.....Italy.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

epsomraver

Quote from: LordNelson on September 17, 2012, 05:44:39 PM
Do we still have any Hungarians about?  Don't mess with the Zoltan!

Judging by the club shop we have a lot of new Bulgarian fans

dtowndough

Late to the party on this one, as usual.  However, I've never supported teams based on players.  I will certainly pull for all Americans to do well overseas and won't mind seeing their clubs win as long as it's no harm to Fulham.  But I'm certainly not gonna leave before I even get to go to my first match, which is hopefully this season.  I do understand the question though.  Also, for the most part, it's always seemed that the "local" fans have welcomed and enjoyed having most of the American fans.  Hopefully they will continue to do so and maybe even more since there's not that bond holding all of us to the club. 

HatterDon

Quote from: Andy_M on September 17, 2012, 02:27:47 PM
It wasn't meant as a question to offend anyone, just seemed like a logical question to ask as our American fanbase certainly increased during the period we had American players, so I was merely wondering if now those players have left if those American fans would still remain.

I know some of our American fans are very passionate and just because they may have only started following us when some of the American players joined doesn't mean they are any less a fan or in many cases any less knowledgable than the rest of us.

I wasn't by any means moaning about "tourists" or anything along those lines just merely seeking to find out if we had lost a section of our following since the loss of Dempsey. But agree we will have certainly gained a Bulgarian following with the signing of Berba.

I certainly wasn't calling you out on this, Andy M. There was nothing that you posted that was even remotely offensive. The "tourist" comments are those I've seen most weeks during the season when it comes to why support at the Cottage isn't so vocal. It's always amazed me that there are those that are upset that enough "tourists" come to the Cottage to fill it up.

This is a good question on your part, and the diversity of comments have shown that. Well done, sir.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Yellow Jacket

No, I won't leave and never would. Sure, I won't post as often or at all on this forum but I support Fulham through and through and will always find a way to watch the match. I will even be going to a match this year.

psand22

I'm still here......for the good, the bad, and all things Fulhamish. 

MisfitKid

Was here before McGod and I am here for the long haul.
I have Fulham in my blood.  COYW!!   :scarf:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

FulhamBoston

Yeah I'm still here, I read a lot, almost never post.  It's harder to explain why I like Fulham these days, but I still do.  Dempsey didn't make that big a difference after all...

That being said... I kind of hope Fulham signs another American at some point. Not for any practical purpose.  Just for me.

mccscratch

Quote from: Peabody on September 17, 2012, 03:09:17 PM
This thread is flawed. Firstly, our first American Player was not Brian McBride, it was Eddie Lewis. Secondly, we still have an American born player in the first team, a certain Mr Hangerland.

Eddie Lewis brought me to Fulham... so thanks for pointing this out to everyone!!

I unlike Hatter hope we get an American in the team some time in the near future... There are plenty with talent and will cost half what a mainland European player will. You just have to give them a year to settle into the style of play..

I would have taken Michael Bradley in a heartbeat when Villa moronically let him leave but now at Roma and starting (when fit) it seems we missed out on him...

Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

YankeeJim

I believe there are a fair amount of Yanks who'll hang around. I came with McBride and was impressed how the locals took him to their heart. I don't think they ever did so with the one we shall not name or even Boca. Respect perhaps but not in the positive way Brian was held. I would ask though, why that question isn't directed towards the fans from Norway or Ireland or Korea or Finland, only Americans. that is likely why the one who shall not be named was defended & attacked so strongly. Could be because among the foreign fans the Americans have the largest contingent. I'm sure the language has something to do with it, That, and we don't have quality football at home unless Abby Wambaug is suited up. Anyway, Fulham for the long haul. COYW.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.