watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

American Fans

Started by Andy_M, September 17, 2012, 01:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy_M

This is not meant as a dig at our American fan at all but merely a question.

Now that we no longer have any American players in our squad having seen the last in Mr Dempsey move on to pastures new, have some of our American fans also moved on? Over recent years we had Keller, Bocanegra, Dempsey and McBride all at the club so plenty of attraction for the American fans, now that they have all left have those fans left too? Or did they see enough of Fulham in the time they played for the club to continue supporting us?
@got_maile

The Rock

I'll stay if Mikey stays.

HatterDon

I'm worrying about what happens if Sidwell leaves. He IS the only English player in the squad, isn't he?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Rock

Or Hatter Don stays as well. Very few left aren't there. Stockdale, Briggsy, a few of the under 21's. Hughes, Baird and Simon Davies both speak English as a first language though.

epsomraver

Quote from: HatterDon on September 17, 2012, 02:08:02 PM
I'm worrying about what happens if Sidwell leaves. He IS the only English player in the squad, isn't he?

it is a perfectly reasonable question to ask, What started with Mc Bride and ended with "Him" may have brought in and then out for USA fans.

cmg

Аз съм българин

Berserker

What about Kieran Richardson, He's from Greenwich
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

HatterDon

Well, my Sidwell joke aside, there are a lot of posters/fans who were here only for the American connection, just as we gained a lot of support when we signed our disappered Algerian. Some will go, I'm sure, just as many probably went away when Best and Marsh departed. There is, however, a hard core of American Fulham who will not leave. I'm one of them. FulhamUSA.com is still ticking over nicely and, from what I've read, MOST of the concern over there about this past transfer season is the loss of Dembele.

So, yes, you will probably lose some Americans, but we'll be gaining [and have already gained] some new Bulgarians. Perhaps some Colombians will start following us as well.

Fulham is a multi-national team with a multi-national squad. We're owned by an Egyptian, operated by a Scot, and managed by a Dutchman. We have players from all over the world and our support reflects that. I just wished that we celebrated that more rather than moaning about "the tourists" who come to the matches.

But maybe that's just me.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Andy_M

It wasn't meant as a question to offend anyone, just seemed like a logical question to ask as our American fanbase certainly increased during the period we had American players, so I was merely wondering if now those players have left if those American fans would still remain.

I know some of our American fans are very passionate and just because they may have only started following us when some of the American players joined doesn't mean they are any less a fan or in many cases any less knowledgable than the rest of us.

I wasn't by any means moaning about "tourists" or anything along those lines just merely seeking to find out if we had lost a section of our following since the loss of Dempsey. But agree we will have certainly gained a Bulgarian following with the signing of Berba.
@got_maile

Berserker

Quote from: HatterDon on September 17, 2012, 02:23:33 PM
Well, my Sidwell joke aside, there are a lot of posters/fans who were here only for the American connection, just as we gained a lot of support when we signed our disappered Algerian. Some will go, I'm sure, just as many probably went away when Best and Marsh departed. There is, however, a hard core of American Fulham who will not leave. I'm one of them. FulhamUSA.com is still ticking over nicely and, from what I've read, MOST of the concern over there about this past transfer season is the loss of Dembele.

So, yes, you will probably lose some Americans, but we'll be gaining [and have already gained] some new Bulgarians. Perhaps some Colombians will start following us as well.

Fulham is a multi-national team with a multi-national squad. We're owned by an Egyptian, operated by a Scot, and managed by a Dutchman. We have players from all over the world and our support reflects that. I just wished that we celebrated that more rather than moaning about "the tourists" who come to the matches.

But maybe that's just me.

I've met some interesting and friendly 'tourists' sat in P1 & P2. Also met some great away fans as well
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

epsomraver

There is, however, a hard core of American Fulham who will not leave. I'm one of them.

Darn it, we live in hope! 086.gif 086.gif

SCFulhmFan

As Steve_orino pointed out previously, Emerson Hyndman is in the Academy still! starsnstripes

But as shown by the jokes, most of us are here for Fulham.  While I like the idea of an American playing, and started following Fulham because of McBride, I am here for the club. 

costarican white

It is pretty obvious that many of us "foreigners" get to know the club because of our countrymen, the thing as that we got sticked to it because of the many other positive things arounf the club, FOF is one of them of course.

Wherever there's a Costa Rican... there's peace.

David_Keating

I am not sure, but it seems like there are a fair amount of Americans living in the Fulham area; just around the area, I usually hear a lot of American accents, not necessarily on match day unless they're are all on vacation which I find doubtful; once the Fulham bug gets under you're skin its hard to get rid of it.

King_Crud

I thought they all fled once Eddie Johnson left?

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: King_Crud on September 17, 2012, 02:49:57 PM
I thought they all fled once Eddie Johnson left?

I tried to get out on the same flight as EJ, but it seems all you Brits bought him a ticket to ensure he made the flight. I was left with no escape. So now you're stuck with me.   starsnstripes

Jokes aside, I came to support McBride and I stayed because I support Fulham. I'm getting to be a bit like Don I think(don't know if we have the same reasons) in that I hope we don't have an American for a while.....until Emerson's debut would be fine.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Steve_orino

Exactly Mr. SCFulhmFan...we get a 6 year reprieve from this & similar threads from the past summer.  But if Hyndman makes the First XI, he'll have been in England for a while & they'll want to claim him as their own.  :dft012:

As I stated in a previous post:
I've been a "Follower" for 4 1/2 years...will only consider myself a "Supporter" once I've reached 5 years of dodgy stream-watching, a gazillion viruses on my laptop, & a multitude of coffee stains on my Fulham shirt from cheering their goals!

Also, see my sig.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

BBBD

I'm still here...or still a fan anyway.  Not sure I have ever posted here or not.  I am a transplant from the FulhamFC board.

Peabody

This thread is flawed. Firstly, our first American Player was not Brian McBride, it was Eddie Lewis. Secondly, we still have an American born player in the first team, a certain Mr Hangerland.

epsomraver

I don't think Lewis brought any fans to us Mr P.