https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Allardyce and Hughes are wrong

Started by St Eve, September 18, 2012, 05:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

Quote from: DiegoFulham on September 18, 2012, 08:14:24 PM
SO YOU WOULD SHAKE THE HAND OF THE MAN WHO SHAGGED YOUR MISSUS?  :49:

Not my present Missus, no. But if he'd shagged my ex I'd have bought him a bloody medal!
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

rusty shackleford

if they didnt make such a big deal of it in the press no one would care if random footballer a shakes random footballer b's hand. Its a load of bollox!

epsomraver

Quote from: rusty shackleford on September 18, 2012, 09:27:59 PM
if they didnt make such a big deal of it in the press no one would care if random footballer a shakes random footballer b's hand. Its a load of bollox!

Why don't you say what you mean? :011:

jazz hardrockin

Tradition shouldn't be scrapped because of few morons.....you know the names...
No animal is being hurt in the making of this posting.

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: jazz hardrockin on September 19, 2012, 04:23:25 AM
But is it a tradition Jazzman ? Captains shaking hands at the coin toss has seemingly been around for ever but the pre-match thing is a fairly recent development (if my unreliable memory is correct) and I agree with those consider it contrived and pointless. Two minutes later the majority are tugging shirts, pushing and shoving at frees and corners and claiming every corner or throw in no matter how obviously the decision should go against them. - And still I love the game !  :bang head:

jazz hardrockin

Well.I view the shake hands before a game as a "gentleman's agreement" to play the game by the rules.After the game, shaking hands has another meaning and goes without being imposed by the ruling bodies. As for the tradition it is a tradition on the makings. And judging by who is calling to be scrapped / Big Sam and the Wanna be Big Cheese/ I doubt people in charge are listening.
No animal is being hurt in the making of this posting.

MasterHaynes

I think the only reason they introduced the handshake was so that the TV cameras got the huge sponsors logo covering the whole centre circle on camera. Its all about money so whether we like it or not we benefit from Barclays sponsorship of the Premier league with end of season prize money so I guess we will just need to live with it

cmg

Being forced to shake the hand of someone whose hand you do not wish to shake is, at best, insincere, at worst, hypocricy.

There is no way this nonsense can be called a tradition, it is a PR stunt introduced to the game in the last few years, along with such garbage as entering the field clutching the hand of a bewildered-looking infant and booting the ball into touch the instant any highly paid actor hits the deck clutching his head when only minimal contact has been made with his foot.

Shaking hands, after the event, with an opponent you respect is the sportsmanlike thing to do. It does not need to happen under the full gaze of the tv cameras.

As for the youth of this country looking to professional footballers as exemplars of proper behaviour...well, I didn't think my mind could be more boggled than it is, but this sets a new high.

The only good thing to come out of this business is that JT may eventually get the message about what people actually think of him as a human being.

I guess this means I agree with Hughes and Allardyce. Ugh...I think I need a shower.

epsomraver

Quote from: cmg on September 19, 2012, 09:16:20 AM
Being forced to shake the hand of someone whose hand you do not wish to shake is, at best, insincere, at worst, hypocricy.

There is no way this nonsense can be called a tradition, it is a PR stunt introduced to the game in the last few years, along with such garbage as entering the field clutching the hand of a bewildered-looking infant and booting the ball into touch the instant any highly paid actor hits the deck clutching his head when only minimal contact has been made with his foot.

Shaking hands, after the event, with an opponent you respect is the sportsmanlike thing to do. It does not need to happen under the full gaze of the tv cameras.

As for the youth of this country looking to professional footballers as exemplars of proper behaviour...well, I didn't think my mind could be more boggled than it is, but this sets a new high.

The only good thing to come out of this business is that JT may eventually get the message about what people actually think of him as a human being.

I guess this means I agree with Hughes and Allardyce. Ugh...I think I need a shower.

Wise words. 065.gif

fulhaman

I wouldn't shake anyone' hand who I didn't respect and why should they. You have to earn that repect and in this instance their is no respect. And JT properly has sweaty hand anyway

Andy S

When the captain goes up to the half way line his job is to toss a coin and shake hands with the officials and the captain of the other side. He does this on behalf of his team so why do all the players need to shake hands as well? I am still in favour of both teams entering the field of play at the same time though.

I remember before it was mandatory to shake hands that when players were lining up sometimes both wingers would shake hands and I'm sure others would as well especially if there was an ex player playing against us.

The thing is that is a spontaneous gesture.

St Eve

And when the respective captains are Ferdinand and Terry I suppose we should scrap that tradition

cmg

I am reminded of the only time I ever refused an opponents after match handshake, so p*****d off was I with his on-field behaviour.
After the match he approached me in the bar and said how disappointed he was I had spurned his handshake, especially, so said, as I had been kicking him all afternoon. Aghast that he should think such a thing of me, I could only splutter, "What about you then?"
"Ah," he said - he was Irish, of course, "but that was fair fouling."
What else could I do but buy the man a drink? We ended up getting legless together and whenever we met thereafter greeted each other like long-lost brothers (still kicked lumps out of each other, though.)

LBNo11

...I totally agree with cmg, it is a modern contrivance and it has become in some cases a cursory touching of hands which without and eye contact and expression means nothing, all it is is a meaningless ritual that is supposed top be part of the 'show'

Again I agree with all those that say that due respect to a fellow professional should be shown after the match, where a genuine firm handshake, and even a smile or an arm around the shoulder would be more genuine.

Like cmg the thought of agreeing with Alldaylies, and Exhughes makes me feel dirty, a petrol wash with a wire brush may help to purge myself...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

cmg

Quote from: LBNo11 on September 20, 2012, 10:35:19 AM

... a petrol wash with a wire brush may help to purge myself...

...is OK, as long as you promise not to enjoy it.

Max Headroom

These guys are paid £250,000 a week or more....

Sorry, they should shake each others hands... end of.

LBNo11

Quote from: cmg on September 20, 2012, 10:53:45 AM
Quote from: LBNo11 on September 20, 2012, 10:35:19 AM

... a petrol wash with a wire brush may help to purge myself...

...is OK, as long as you promise not to enjoy it.

...I promise.. :dft012:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Fusili

Quote from: jazz hardrockin on September 19, 2012, 04:23:25 AM

I'm sorry but it's not a tradition as has been said earlier it's a fairly recent idea. Years ago when there were no handshake before the game as I remember more respect was shown between footballers especially after a game when each player had given as good as he had taken, which was usually kicking hell out of each other, Ahhh the good old days.