watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Allardyce and Hughes are wrong

Started by St Eve, September 18, 2012, 05:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Eve

The pre match handshake should be kept. They are professionals and whether they like it or not they are looked up to by young kids getting into the game. It bothers me that grown men cannot act responsibly

epsomraver

No it shouldn't, what should happen is a handshake after the game , this pre match is a total waste of time and is meaningless, after all the physical and the verbals , that is when you should shake, that is how it was in my day except for the verbals. 092.gif

Jamie88

Quote from: epsomraver on September 18, 2012, 06:03:50 PM
No it shouldn't, what should happen is a handshake after the game , this pre match is a total waste of time and is meaningless, after all the physical and the verbals , that is when you should shake, that is how it was in my day except for the verbals. 092.gif

Couldn't agree more

mr-ska

It's a bit contrived  i'd be in  favour of getting rid of it.  If players wish to shake hands or embrace after a hard 90 minutes, that is better.  More genuine!

The Bronsons

If you are thinking only of the premier league the handshake pre-game is a waste of time and makes no difference to anything.

It is though part of the respect campaign which is *trying* to encourage a more sporting attitude among the "coaches" and "parents" who stand on the sidelines during under-8s football encouraging kids to kick lumps out of each other.

The idea is the kids are more likely to treat their opponents and referees better if they are encouraged to show respect before and after the game. The professionals are supposed to set an example to the kids.

The real fault here is the media, which has cameramen and even (on Five Live) *extra commentators*!!!! so they can report on who did and didn't shake hands. The media should shut up about it. If AF doesn't want to shake JT's hand that's between them.

And, really, you find yourself on the same side as Allardyce and Hughes (who seems to spend most of his life obsessing about handshakes) on this and think that isn't a reason to think twice?

MJG

So because of 4 players (Terry, Ferdinand,Evra and the Scumbag liverpool player) we get rid of a handshake that on a premier weekend 216 other players do so with no problem.
Maybe the players causing the issue are one who should be stopped.

craig10

No Handshake for me!!!
After is where you show your respect, when you're focused the last thing you want to do is shake the enemy's hand. But hey, that's just me!!

craig10

Next thing you know we will be telling our children it's the taking part that counts.... What a load bull that is!!!!

Jamie88

Quote from: MJG on September 18, 2012, 06:14:45 PM
So because of 4 players (Terry, Ferdinand,Evra and the Scumbag liverpool player) we get rid of a handshake that on a premier weekend 216 other players do so with no problem.
Maybe the players causing the issue are one who should be stopped.

I don't think that would be the sole reason for getting rid of it, I think if it did get taken out it would be more for reasons to do with the fact that everyone thinks its a load of old crap. As has been said before, if a player wants to shake hands after a game, so be it. But to do this silly lining up and shaking hands of each and every person as a custom before kick-off loses its real point to me - most of the players aren't shaking hands as they wish the opposition all the best for the next 90 minutes! They're shaking because they're told to do so, and it shows.

Lighthouse

I think that those who refuse to shake hands before the game should be taken by hand to the centre circle by the ref and he should slap the back of their legs. That will teach them
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

cebu

Quote from: Lighthouse on September 18, 2012, 06:59:12 PM
I think that those who refuse to shake hands before the game should be taken by hand to the centre circle by the ref and he should slap the back of their legs. That will teach them

I'm not sure, LH - some of them might actually like that!   :005:

St Eve

Don't the respective captains shake hands at the coin toss? Should that be scrapped? If Ferdinand was captain at QPR how would that be handled?

MOR :

Quote from: St Eve on September 18, 2012, 07:24:09 PM
Don't the respective captains shake hands at the coin toss? Should that be scrapped? If Ferdinand was captain at QPR how would that be handled?
Park didn't shake hands with Terry...

Peabody

What about the rugby thing were one team applauds the other of the pitch? It seems to work there.

Burt

It is all a bit contrived really. I can't say I would miss it if it does get scrapped. I suspect it will stay the course though, given that is what the authorities want.

bill taylors apprentice

We do not live in a perfect world but its not unreasonable to expect pro footballers to show respect for their fellow players, the officials, fans and the game in general is it ?
Hang on a mo, this is footballers we are talking about, there are still a few sports that generally hold the moral high ground. Golfers may shake hands on the first tee but this is also a sport where an individual regularly reports himself for breaking the rules.
I am afraid a significant number of footballers can not be trusted to do the decent thing anymore and whoever thought the pre match handshake up, may of had good intentions but its really just part of the marketing crap and is an embarrassing joke

DiegoFulham

SO YOU WOULD SHAKE THE HAND OF THE MAN WHO SHAGGED YOUR MISSUS?  :49:
@DiegoFulham follow for a follow back

Jack Fulham

What is a hand shake supposed to prove? Has nothing to do with respect, just seems to be a norm before the game.

HatterDon

Keep things as they are, and if folks don't want to shake with others, LEAVE IT ALONE. I can't believe we're still hearing about this crap into the current season. This is a sport, not a soap opera. "Johnny stuck out his and and it was refused. What does this mean? Should we make it all better by not having anyone shaking hands? Should we set up a support group to make everyone feel better about it?"

Ah well, it makes a nice change from "His teammates don't know why Christiano Ronaldo is sad." Honest to god; did they cancel Coronation Street or something? If it weren't so depressing it would just be incredibly silly.

And, furthermore, Harumph  092.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel