News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Anyone watching the Ryder Cup? Unbelievable!

Started by Scrumpy, September 30, 2012, 10:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scrumpy

I'm not a huge golf fan but this is amazing stuff!   065.gif
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

St Eve

mr-ska

simply unreal!!! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Jambo

As good a viewing as any other sporting event.  Brilliant
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

Yellow Jacket

What a choke job by the US. Davis Love III wasn't brilliant at all with his choices. The USA lost and just gave it away however with that said there is one thing I never understood about the Ryder Cup. Why is it a continent vs a country? That's a real accomplishment to beat a single country when you're using players from an entire continent. I didn't even watch it today but I kept track by my phone. I was too busy watching American football to care to be honest.

fulhamben

Quote from: Yellow Jacket on September 30, 2012, 11:48:29 PM
What a choke job by the US. Davis Love III wasn't brilliant at all with his choices. The USA lost and just gave it away however with that said there is one thing I never understood about the Ryder Cup. Why is it a continent vs a country? That's a real accomplishment to beat a single country when you're using players from an entire continent. I didn't even watch it today but I kept track by my phone. I was too busy watching American football to care to be honest.
davis love choice had nothing to do with it. european golfers are just superior at the mo.. and if it had been any other course with actuall rough on it the yanks wouldnt even have got to double figures. fantastic result
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Yellow Jacket

Quote from: fulhamben on September 30, 2012, 11:51:04 PM
davis love choice had nothing to do with it. european golfers are just superior at the mo.. and if it had been any other course with actuall rough on it the yanks wouldnt even have got to double figures. fantastic result

They are so superior that the US had the lead going into the last day. The US media was very critical of him benching his hottest players when he did and player selection. He didn't give the team the best chance to win and the veterans didn't close the deal. Yes, he did that something to do with it whether you want to believe it or not. He is the captain and has to choose the best permutation of a US team out of the US player pool. Also, it doesn't help when the US team is really a team in the most basic of definitions. The narcissistic under current of the US Ryder Cup team has been around for a long time.

I know this particular Ryder Cup will be over romanticized and that's fine but to be fair. It's not hard when the other team decides to not even show up. Stepping up and outplaying a team who is playing well is one thing. Beating a team who didn't play well at all to begin with that day is an entirely different story. This Ryder Cup falls under the latter.

Lighthouse

Have to say it has been so badly covered in the UK I didn't know much about it. On SKY was it?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

The Bronsons

Quote from: Yellow Jacket on September 30, 2012, 11:48:29 PM..there is one thing I never understood about the Ryder Cup. Why is it a continent vs a country? That's a real accomplishment to beat a single country when you're using players from an entire continent.

"According to Sports Marketing Surveys, there are 61.1 million golfers
worldwide; 6.9 million in Europe, 13.6 million in Asia, 1.7 million in
Australasia, 1 million in South America and 500 000 in South Africa.
There are 37.1 million in the US alone."
source: Business Report, 9/28/2003
http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=244889

Yellow Jacket

Quote from: The Bronsons on September 30, 2012, 11:59:58 PM
Quote from: Yellow Jacket on September 30, 2012, 11:48:29 PM..there is one thing I never understood about the Ryder Cup. Why is it a continent vs a country? That's a real accomplishment to beat a single country when you're using players from an entire continent.

"According to Sports Marketing Surveys, there are 61.1 million golfers
worldwide; 6.9 million in Europe, 13.6 million in Asia, 1.7 million in
Australasia, 1 million in South America and 500 000 in South Africa.
There are 37.1 million in the US alone."
source: Business Report, 9/28/2003
http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fArticleId=244889

1. The link is dead so why is that credible?
2. It's in 2003 nearly a decade ago. Really? That's the best you have?

fulhamben

Quote from: Yellow Jacket on September 30, 2012, 11:57:14 PM

They are so superior that the US had the lead going into the last day. The US media was very critical of him benching his hottest players when he did and player selection. He didn't give the team the best chance to win and the veterans didn't close the deal. Yes, he did that something to do with it whether you want to believe it or not. He is the captain and has to choose the best permutation of a US team out of the US player pool. Also, it doesn't help when the US team is really a team in the most basic of definitions. The narcissistic under current of the US Ryder Cup team has been around for a long time.

I know this particular Ryder Cup will be over romanticized and that's fine but to be fair. It's not hard when the other team decides to not even show up. Stepping up and outplaying a team who is playing well is one thing. Beating a team who didn't play well at all to begin with that day is an entirely different story. This Ryder Cup falls under the latter.
benching players when he did?  so did ollie. and also if he made such a cock up in benching players how come they had 10 6 lead. you contridict yourself through out this whole post.. and you go on about them not being a team yet when they played as a team in the pairs they smashed us. its when they became individuals that they crumbled. how can they be a bad team if they were winning 10 6? oh and we are superior because the top 5 world ranking has 4 british players in it.  and did you see the scores? how many yanks did not finish under par

cottagecornerreject

fulhamben

Yellow Jacket

Quote from: fulhamben on October 01, 2012, 12:08:06 AM

benching players when he did?  so did ollie. and also if he made such a cock up in benching players how come they had 10 6 lead. you contridict yourself through out this whole post.. and you go on about them not being a team yet when they played as a team in the pairs they smashed us. its when they became individuals that they crumbled. how can they be a bad team if they were winning 10 6? oh and we are superior because the top 5 world ranking has 4 british players in it.  and did you see the scores? how many yanks did not finish under par
His captain's picks were poor (Furyk, Stricker, D. Johnson and Snedeker). The US was winning but they could have led by more in pairs play. That is what you are conveniently missing out. That's why the US media criticized the captain. The US could have put the European team down for good. The 10-6 lead was a let off and the gave the Europeans a chance. Good teams put them away when the chance arrives. It's not a contradiction. It's common sense.

Historically, the US team has always been a better singles team. You can go back to past Ryder Cups. This year was an outlier and the US flat choked. They played poorly and the US were average. They left the door open and they didn't make shots when they needed it for the most part. They made things difficult for themselves and shot themselves in the foot. They didn't hit the greens within a certain range with consistency like yesterday. I watched the replays in between football games as I couldn't watch it live. Long story short. They choked. They are a poor team. Just because they are playing singles doesn't mean they aren't playing as a team. Singles in the Ryder Cup isn't like playing in an individual tournament. You are so greatly disregarding that as well.

When there are people who know more about the US team than you who have similar sentiments that I have. Then I'm willing to take their opinion over yours. I'm sure they're around the US team more than you ever could.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: Yellow Jacket on October 01, 2012, 12:26:49 AM

His captain's picks were poor (Furyk, Stricker, D. Johnson and Snedeker). The US was winning but they could have led by more in pairs play. That is what you are conveniently missing out. That's why the US media criticized the captain. The US could have put the European team down for good. The 10-6 lead was a let off and the gave the Europeans a chance. Good teams put them away when the chance arrives. It's not a contradiction. It's common sense.   

Historically, the US team has always been a better singles team. You can go back to past Ryder Cups. This year was an outlier and the US flat choked. They played poorly and the US were average. They left the door open and they didn't make shots when they needed it for the most part. They made things difficult for themselves and shot themselves in the foot. They didn't hit the greens within a certain range with consistency like yesterday. I watched the replays in between football games as I couldn't watch it live. Long story short. They choked. They are a poor team. Just because they are playing singles doesn't mean they aren't playing as a team. Singles in the Ryder Cup isn't like playing in an individual tournament. You are so greatly disregarding that as well. 

Yellow Jacket,show some class,you lost, man up and accept it,lose with some dignity,the better team won,because if we where not better we wouldn't have won.................................

MisfitKid

I love to play golf, but the only thing good about watching it is it is great to help with a Sunday afternoon nap...

YJ hit it on the head, Choke Job...  :020:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Yellow Jacket

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on October 01, 2012, 12:35:11 AM
Quote from: Yellow Jacket on October 01, 2012, 12:26:49 AM

Yellow Jacket,show some class,you lost, man up and accept it,lose with some dignity,the better team won,because if we where not better we wouldn't have won.................................

Indeed the US lost and that's fine. I have no issues with losing in itself but when it was avoidable and the US choked on it. That is what is annoying. This will go down in history for the US as a choke job because it was. Europe was the best team today. They were better today than the US was the past two days. The US allowed them to come back. Good teams close the deal the US is not a good team. Good individually but not as a team. I can't exactly point to why but it's been that way for a while now. Europe was a better team but still the US should have won.

In my opinion, only a fool would believe the best team always wins. This is sports and that's not true. The best team doesn't always win however, the best team on the day always wins.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

well said and fair play to you :clap_hands:,and I'll aploigise now if my post came across has harsh,you have indeed displayed class and been a good sport.Your allowed to be upset,I thought it was over last night but you can never write off team spirit.
I think one of the reasons myself and a few others on here give the Yanks a hard time about the Ryder cup is we haven't forgiven you for Brookline in 99,all that "U S A" and "Get in the hole"stuff is very alien to us and doesn't do golf or you guys any favours.

nevzter

Singles play: Euro is better than US.  Clutch performances by Euros / US, not so much.  Entertaining 3 days - congrats to Europe. 
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

Whiteroom

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on October 01, 2012, 12:51:49 AM
well said and fair play to you :clap_hands:,and I'll aploigise now if my post came across has harsh,you have indeed displayed class and been a good sport.Your allowed to be upset,I thought it was over last night but you can never write off team spirit.
I think one of the reasons myself and a few others on here give the Yanks a hard time about the Ryder cup is we haven't forgiven you for Brookline in 99,all that "U S A" and "Get in the hole"stuff is very alien to us and doesn't do golf or you guys any favours.

Here here. The American chanting is absolutely nauseating.