News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR What was the first Gig you ever went to?

Started by mr-ska, October 05, 2012, 08:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr-ska

Quote from: The Equalizer on October 05, 2012, 12:22:29 PM
Carter USM at Brixton Academy in 1991, followed up a year later by seeing Madstock! Madness at Finsbury Park.
I went to all the Madstock gigs...   simply amazing.

Chesh

Bad Manners at UEA, Norwich in the late eighties.

yee-haw!

However I also saw T'Pau, China Crisis and The Christians whilst I was there (and dare I say Gary Glitter before it all came out that he was a wrong 'un)

fp.gif
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Berserker

The Who at Charlton Athletic football ground, supported by Lou Reed and Lindesfarne
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Senior Supporter

Around 1953, Johnnie Ray at the London Palladium. We heard the first note of each song and then nothing further, due to the screaming from the girls.

jarv

the era of girls screaming. Could never figure out why.  Beatles at Hammersmith Odeon, 1965, couldn't hear a thing.
Bunch of old grannies now, bet they are not so loud any more.

Vinnieffc

The Jam about 1980 - Wembley Arena.. Crap seat but the acoustics were amazing..

A Humble Man

We Are Fulham, Believe.

Airfix

Squeeze at the Guildford Civic in 1987.  I somehow made it to age 21 before I went to a gig!

Stood right in front of the keyboard genius that is Jools Holland - his work took my breath away.

VB

Quote from: LBNo11 on October 05, 2012, 09:43:33 AM
...The Who, The Marquee Club in Wardour St, sometime in the '60's...

The Sex Pistols, The Marquee Club in Wardour St, late 70's
FULHAMISH: The more things change, The more they stay the same

domprague

Interesting no one's said something crap like Bay City Rollers or Bucks Fizz.

Mine was Big Country at the Hammersmith Odeon in 1983.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Edwatch_Winston_Malone

King_Crud

Pearl Jam, Eastern Creek Raceway in Sydney, 1994. Massive outdoor thing, had to queue early. It was a long day.

Jimpav

I think I saw someone crap for my first gig, it was a band called Honeycrack (re-formed from the Wildhearts). It was at a little live venue in Tunbridge Wells called the Forum. It would play host to up and coming bands touring the country. It is a converted public toilet set on the common and remains to this day a haven for under age drinkers. It has a capacity of about 300 and in winter the walls would drip with sweat as we "moshed" on a sticky carpet. year old. There would normally be 3 bands on, getting progressively better until the headline act - although it may have just seemed like this as the pissy lager finally took hold. For many the bands were a mere cover for the opportunity to sit in the corner and smoke dope or indulge in some adolescent fumbling in the corner. In fairness to the venue it has played host to some bands that have gone onto make a bigger splash (Oasis being one) but the closest I ever got to that one was when Liam and Noels less famous brother turned up with a band that he was managing. They were average and he spent the night at the bar basking in his brothers glory and being bought drinks by teenagers wanting to lay claim to the action.

FP

Queen at Velez Stadium in Buenos Aires, march 1981, i was 12.

I will never forget the experience, i had to wait almost 20 years for the next international band to come this far.....

Mr_Moon

Quote from: Jimpav on October 05, 2012, 05:22:14 PM
I think I saw someone crap for my first gig, it was a band called Honeycrack (re-formed from the Wildhearts). It was at a little live venue in Tunbridge Wells called the Forum. It would play host to up and coming bands touring the country. It is a converted public toilet set on the common and remains to this day a haven for under age drinkers. It has a capacity of about 300 and in winter the walls would drip with sweat as we "moshed" on a sticky carpet. year old. There would normally be 3 bands on, getting progressively better until the headline act - although it may have just seemed like this as the pissy lager finally took hold. For many the bands were a mere cover for the opportunity to sit in the corner and smoke dope or indulge in some adolescent fumbling in the corner. In fairness to the venue it has played host to some bands that have gone onto make a bigger splash (Oasis being one) but the closest I ever got to that one was when Liam and Noels less famous brother turned up with a band that he was managing. They were average and he spent the night at the bar basking in his brothers glory and being bought drinks by teenagers wanting to lay claim to the action.

My first gig was something crap at Tunbridge Wells forum too. Was a band called Violent Delight. Liked them at the time but really, they were dreadful. Having spent most of my life in Tunbridge Wells, we used to hang outside the Forum on Friday and Saturday nights, getting drunk and getting up to all sorts. Really good memories there.

OtterFFC

The  Smiths in 1984, a free concert organised by Ken's GLC

NogoodBoyo

Isle of Wight Pop Festival in 1970.  I was 14.  I only remember Ten Years After, Groundhogs, The Who and most definitely JIMI HENDRIX - his last concert.
Nogood "God Save The Queen on a Strat, isit" Boyo

ffc73

Taken to an Elton John concert by my parents. Not sure to this day why. Maybe no babysitters available.

First concert I took myself to was U2 in either 1983 or more likely 1984

Berserker

I was only 14 when i saw The Who. I don't think my parents realise where i was going that day!
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

FMC

Hi-Tension supported by a band from Manchster called Spooky at Hammersmith Odeon 1978 with a couple of mates. Kept on getting stopped by plod under SUS around the broadway afterwards just trying to walk home. Oh the joy of late 70s/early 80s London policing!