News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR What was the first Gig you ever went to?

Started by mr-ska, October 05, 2012, 08:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flummer23

The Beatles in September of 1964, Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto (I was 11).  Couldn't hear them at all over the screaming (and they only had little Vox amps).  The warm-up acts included Chad & Jeremy, The Righteous Brothers, and Jackie De Shannon (among others).
It's a fine line between clever and . . . stupid.  David St. Hubbins

Jimpav

Quote from: Mr_Moon on October 05, 2012, 05:58:13 PM
Quote from: Jimpav on October 05, 2012, 05:22:14 PM
I think I saw someone crap for my first gig, it was a band called Honeycrack (re-formed from the Wildhearts). It was at a little live venue in Tunbridge Wells called the Forum. It would play host to up and coming bands touring the country. It is a converted public toilet set on the common and remains to this day a haven for under age drinkers. It has a capacity of about 300 and in winter the walls would drip with sweat as we "moshed" on a sticky carpet. year old. There would normally be 3 bands on, getting progressively better until the headline act - although it may have just seemed like this as the pissy lager finally took hold. For many the bands were a mere cover for the opportunity to sit in the corner and smoke dope or indulge in some adolescent fumbling in the corner. In fairness to the venue it has played host to some bands that have gone onto make a bigger splash (Oasis being one) but the closest I ever got to that one was when Liam and Noels less famous brother turned up with a band that he was managing. They were average and he spent the night at the bar basking in his brothers glory and being bought drinks by teenagers wanting to lay claim to the action.

My first gig was something crap at Tunbridge Wells forum too. Was a band called Violent Delight. Liked them at the time but really, they were dreadful. Having spent most of my life in Tunbridge Wells, we used to hang outside the Forum on Friday and Saturday nights, getting drunk and getting up to all sorts. Really good memories there.

I'm not sure of you are still local Mr Moon but if not you'll be pleased to know that its still seems to be going strong. Always plenty of youngsters outside whatever the weather.

jmh

alfie

my first gig was when i managed a band around 1972 called the "Missing Links" - and therein lies the problem half the band were so spaced out they went missing on a regular basis. Did not go to any more until i went and saw John Mayall Bluesbreakers about 75 in Manchester.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

NogoodBoyo

Second concert was Genesis and Supertramp for a double-header at my school.
Nogood "seeing the Archangel Gabriel I was too, isit" Boyo

Mr_Moon

Quote from: Jimpav on October 05, 2012, 07:25:30 PM

I'm not sure of you are still local Mr Moon but if not you'll be pleased to know that its still seems to be going strong. Always plenty of youngsters outside whatever the weather.

I'm a student so still local now and then. I take it you live in Tunbridge Wells then? It doesn't seem as popular as it once used to be, I don't know whether that's because I'm looking at it with rose tinted spectacles but it seemed to ebb and flow with the generations, much like the Wetherspoons in the Opera house.

Whitby Fulham

Forever Fulham

Canned Heat, and Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band, Calgary, Alberta.  1969

Highlander

INXS, The Alarm, Status Quo, Queen  :drums: Wembley 1986 after 12 hours on a mini bus from Scotland including running out of petrol on M1 so we missed most of Mr Hutchence and crew. Then straight back to Scotland meeting Queen fans at every service station on the way.

Dan in Notts

Quote from: Highlander on October 05, 2012, 09:05:47 PM
INXS, The Alarm, Status Quo, Queen  :drums: Wembley 1986 after 12 hours on a mini bus from Scotland including running out of petrol on M1 so we missed most of Mr Hutchence and crew. Then straight back to Scotland meeting Queen fans at every service station on the way.
Me too, but without the long trip home!

Oiseau

Neil Diamond at the Wembley Arena around five or six years ago.

psand22

Some great 1st shows overall....unfortunately mine wasn't as great as most.  
Saw 38 Special in the early 80's.  Thank goodness, I've had the opportunity to see a lot of great bands, since then.  From house parties to the big festivals.

cusackdribble

The Fall... Surbiton Assembly Rooms... life's never quite been the same since

Aaron

First one was the Manic Street Preachers on the Holy Bible tour.. at least I think that was the tour.. 1994 or 1995 I reckon.

First festival was Reading in 2000.  The lightning behind the stage during Oasis was quite cool but can't remember much else about that year.  Rage Against the Machine on the Sunday was fun too.

Nick the Swede

Simple Minds @ Stockholms Stadion in June 1989.
-"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Burt

Motorhead at the Hammersmith Odeon, swiftly followed by OMD at the same venue.

malcbridger

Mud, at the Orchid Ballroom, Purley, around 1972.

Ron Sheepskin

The Pretenders, Essex University Colchester in 1979. Support band was UB40. I was 14, and to this day still don't know how I managed to get in - I looked about 8 back then. The Pretenders were little known, and UB40 completely unknown at the time.
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

graham leggat

Motorhead, Aberdeen Capitol on the Ace Up Your Sleeve tour 1980.

Still fuuukin awesome live.

cebu

Dave Brubeck at the Hammersmith Odeon - about 1962?

After the performance the musicians had to make a dash to the centre of London to appear on the weekly "Sunday Night at the London Palladium" TV show, which I also got to see at home. The band barely made it in time for the show!