News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR What was the first Gig you ever went to?

Started by mr-ska, October 05, 2012, 08:56:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr-ska

The first gig i went to was Afrika Bambaataa and  The Soul Sonic Force at Kingston Poly in 1985.  I was 16 pretending to be 18.  Still remains one of my favourite concert.  They did their old skool hits Planet Rock  and Play at our Own Risk. They also did a great version of When Doves Cry which went on for about 15 minutes.  Fantastic experience.

nose

wow, your first time was an  interesting evening.
First I saw the beatles at the fairfield hall, i say saw because we couldn't hear them because of all the girls screaming (y sister was a big fan, I am not that keen on them although I recogniose their social impact). I was very young.
After that i saw the four tops at the fairfield halls, it was imense we were in row 4! Johnny Johnson and the bandwagon were the support.

zzamora

Arcade Fire at 02 when I was young, so no standing.

First Standing: Black Keys, Ally Pally '11.

First Festival: Hard Rock Calling '12. Springsteen. McCartney. Morello. Same Stage. Same Time. 

epsomraver

dont stand me down

Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band,wembley arena 1981 (I think), it was for the River album.

LBNo11

...The Who, The Marquee Club in Wardour St, sometime in the '60's...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

MJG

Depeche Mode @ Hammersmith Odeon, must have been about 1981

ScalleysDad

Bolan at The Lyceum 76/77. Three and a half hour set, missed all the trains home, slow post train to Gatwick at about two, walked most of the way back to Redhill until the local plod picked me up and dropped me home at about 6.00am. I was in so much trouble but bed beckoned and I copped it later on. I seem to recall he basically played three albums straight through then the pre T.Rex stuff and then the hits medley. Must have lost half a stone bopping up and down.

Supermitch

Ian Dury & The Blockheads.  Hammersmith Odeon c1977.

Saw him several times at that venue, at one of them The Clash were on the bill (that was when the GLC was being dis-banded and Ken was subsidising a week of gigs).

David Allen Crankshaw

The Kinks, Manchester Apollo in the late seventies.

AlFayedsChequebook

FC Silver Fox

Like El Bee, my first gig was the Who but at the Rainbow when they'd just brought out Who's Next.

Biggest missed gig?   My parents wouldn't let me go and see an up-and-coming group at Wimbledon Palais in 1963. Apparently, at 10 years old, I was too young.  The band? The Beatles.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

LBNo11

...Brian, just to name drop, as a kid I met the Beatles, a friend of my sisters Dad a guy called Charlie Chidwick was their chaffeur when they were filming HELP!, they were staying at his little cottage in St Margarets just next to the Turk's Head pub by St Stephen's School (my old school), and the Turk's Head occasionally shut the pub so that the Fab Four could have a drink in peace, I don't remember a great deal about what was said other than Carole King was singing "It Might As Well Rain Until September" on the radiogram. Strange that meeting such a historical band should evoke certain memories...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

cottage cheese

saw bruce springsteen, bon jovi and Pearl jam for my first ever festival. Was only maybe 14/15...

Still to this day the best night of my life seeing those three

First ever gig was blink 182/offspring

Chrisg3

The Equalizer

Carter USM at Brixton Academy in 1991, followed up a year later by seeing Madstock! Madness at Finsbury Park.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Mr Fulham

I was 3 years old and I actually was a big fan of his(don't laugh, it's true) - the late Willy DeVille in the Stadtpark Hamburg - in 1994.

Some concerts followed, the last ones being Noel Gallagher in Hamburg, March 2012 and Bob Geldof in Kiel, June 2012. I'm currently trying to get tickets for Mark Knopfler, who will play some gigs in Germany next year.

keith

Love these type of posts.My first "Gig" was in 1971/72?.I took my then girlfriend to see the Osmonds at Earls Court.But there was a catch,she had to come and see Slade and the Sweet a couple of months later.

cmg

Quote from: epsomraver on October 05, 2012, 09:16:51 AM
Rolling stones , Wimbledon Palais 1964

Wozzat the one when a girl came crashing through a glass skylight? Mayhem that night. The Beatles had played a few months before. That was organised by the fan club (some girls became suddenly VERY popular) and was reasonably under control, but the Stones gig, as usual at that time (smallish venues that had been booked before they became mega) was a riot.

The first one I remember was late summer 1963. A sixth-former at my school was in a band playing the Jazz Cellar at Kingston. We went along and very good he was, too (Tom McGuiness, later with Manfred Mann etc.). But the smartly dressed kid with the big Gibson semi-acoustic (I don't think it was a real one) blew everyone away. "That kid will go far," I prophesied. Actually that's a lie, what I actually said was "Who does that flash little git think he is, pulling all the birds?". Anyway, far he did go. EC was there. [The band was either Casey Jones or The Roosters. The latter, I think, because they played blues(ish) - Casey Jones were more popish.]

jarv

1964  Brighton....rolling stones, Hollies and Kinks all on the same evening.