watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Corners

Started by Mr Fulham, October 20, 2012, 06:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Fulham

Duff did the corners over the past few years and we were pretty uninspired and weak at set pieces. Today, it was Riise who did 'em and  - boom - we scored from a set piece situation and looked a consistant threat.

Coincidence?

Burt

The initial reaction to the one Bairdinho scored from was a groan...

No complaints from me though!

Mr Fulham

Quote from: Burt on October 20, 2012, 06:22:39 PM

I think this was something they tried on the training ground. Baird did it a few times, raised his hands and then ran into the box late on. This time there was a willingness to try it, Riise played it and Baird wanted it just there. It was definitely planned.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Burt on October 20, 2012, 06:22:39 PM

No complaints from me though!

Same here. I went: no,no,no,no,no.....Yeeeeeeessss

MJG

Baird was initially in the D and then Karagunous came on and Baird signaled him to take his place as Baird went further into the box.

Like others I thought the corner was going to Be a repeat of Riise's previous one which failed to beat the first man.

sipwell

Corners were weak in the beginning of the game too.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

ffc73

My reaction is still that Baird made the most of a poor corner kick.

I will watch it on MotD & if it Baird signalled for the ball & Riise delivered it to the exact spot then I will post an unreserved apology

copthornemike

Risse / Hangeland combination has resulted in 3 goals from the last 4 Norway games so would not be surprising that Jol would want to use Risse.
Must say though Duff has arguably been our most consistent player this season.

God The Mechanic

Ruiz is by far the best set piece taker n the team - more often than not THEY look dangerous even if the players attacking them don't.

copthornemike

Quote from Bairdinho:

"I like doing that run (at the front post for the goal) usually for the header at the near post but Johnny Riise miss-hit his corner. But like I say, I got across and got the vital touch, so all good"

Mr Fulham

ah ok, fair enough 093.gif

epsomraver

Quote from: copthornemike on October 20, 2012, 07:30:29 PM
Risse / Hangeland combination has resulted in 3 goals from the last 4 Norway games so would not be surprising that Jol would want to use Risse.
Must say though Duff has arguably been our most consistent player this season.

Risse struggled to get it over the first man for most corners, perhaps that's why they used the short one?

MasterHaynes

Thought it was ironic really that we scored from a corner with a low flick. Was it because we have been so poor trying to get a decent cross and header in we thought we might as well keep it low.

epsomraver

That's what I said an hour ago, time for bed fp.gif

Herbie

I was in the groan-then-cheer camp with the goal today as it looked like a scuffed corner to me.

I wonder if Riise struggles with the way that the edge of the pitch drops down at the cottage?  He seems to like a bit of a run up to a set piece, which for corners means that he he has to run up the slope if he is taking an in-swinger.  His first corner from that side on the second half didn't clear the first man.

MJG

Quote from: Herbie on October 21, 2012, 08:05:11 AM
I was in the groan-then-cheer camp with the goal today as it looked like a scuffed corner to me.

I wonder if Riise struggles with the way that the edge of the pitch drops down at the cottage?  He seems to like a bit of a run up to a set piece, which for corners means that he he has to run up the slope if he is taking an in-swinger.  His first corner from that side on the second half didn't clear the first man.

I have said before about the slopes in the corners. Two things about that...do the players practice corners at CC? The other is I would expect a pitch at MP to be the exact size and also the same drop off around it. But I suspect neither is the case.

mangoputney

My exact words... 'another poo corner..... Yeessssss!!!!!!!'

Seemed to have a mare with free kicks, throw ins and corners yesterday, rather than an advantage we appear to prefer putting ourselves under pressure and overall most were poor
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

Oiseau

Ruiz's corners and set pieces are exceptional. He can curve a ball beautifully and almost always finds the target.

A Humble Man

Baird was honest enough to say he always make similar runs and was looking for a header on the near post but Riise miss hit the corner along the ground giving him the shooting chance.  No clever training ground move just a well taken fluke.
We Are Fulham, Believe.