watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Villa fans- were they on something?

Started by Rupert, October 20, 2012, 09:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rupert

I may be thought to be a little harsh here, and feel free to shoot me down in flames if you think I am being unkind, but what was wrong with the Villa support today? Some of it was bizarre, to say the least.

At one point, in the first half, most of their supporters started a prolonged bout of applause. I had a look, but couldn't see any of their subs warming up (and anyway, they go down towards the Hammersmith End nowadays), and I doubt it was for Jol, who was up in his technical area, and certainly didn't reflect anything happening on the pitch, so it looked like it was something pre-arranged. It wasn't anything like the spontaneous applause which spread around the ground for Roy, a couple of years ago, this appeared to be more regimented.
Anyway, after a minute or so they stopped clapping, and started to chant. It was loud enough, but the elocution was lacking, and I couldn't work out what they were chanting.
At this, some of our lot started to applaud. Whether they were mocking the Villa applause or approving of whatever the chant was, I honestly couldn't tell. Our Midlands visitors obviously decided it was the former, they started to boo, then babbled on about our lot not showing respect.

So, a simple question, did our visitors, who I have always previously though of being several rungs higher up the evolutionary ladder than their blue-nosed cousins (Morgs being the exception that proves the rule here, you understand) have a collective sense of humour failure, or was there some point in what they were doing? Was the wacky-baccy doing the rounds in the Putney End today or did they all turn into idiots?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

ffctom_b

it is to do with Petrov, they have a minutes applause every game at the 19 minute mark, his shirt number and then chant/sing about him when the applause finishes, hence why our support applauded them when they had finished.
twitter @tombrowning1977
Blog ffctomb.blogspot.com

Rupert

Okay, thanks for that, so why did they get upset with our lot applauding them and "not showing respect"?

Don't worry, I'm not expecting you to know the answer  :015: it just reinforces the idea that they were being pretty stupid, so I'm glad we beat them the way we did. It wasn't pretty but it did upset them.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

EJL

Basically, most people didn't have a clue why they were clapping until very late into the 19th minute. Then they started to chant "no respect" because us fans didn't join in the applause, even though no one had any idea they did it every game.

Riverside

Thanks though for explaining about the 19th minute and Petrov .

Actually Inspiring - a great gesture .

Scrumpy

Quote from: Rupert on October 20, 2012, 09:39:59 PM
Okay, thanks for that, so why did they get upset with our lot applauding them and "not showing respect"?

Don't worry, I'm not expecting you to know the answer  :015: it just reinforces the idea that they were being pretty stupid, so I'm glad we beat them the way we did. It wasn't pretty but it did upset them.

I can only think that they expected all of us, without exception, to stand and applaud for Petrov. I have every sympathy for the guy, but for Villa fans to expect opposition fans to know the finer details of their own rituals is pushing it a bit.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

LBNo11

...the villa fans who were in the Low Country (formerly Rockwells/The Zulu Bar/The Kings Head) were having a pop at Fulham, one or two Fulham faces were not happy. Unusual as mentioned because the villa are normally OK. I heard the applause too and wondered what that was for - and give them their due - at least they sing! After the game Low Country had signs up saying Fulham fans only, go figure as they say...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote from: Rupert on October 20, 2012, 09:39:59 PM

I thought they showed appreciation for our applause,  I doubt they were upset

Have just checked on their board, and found this :

http://avillafan.com/site/4697/another-defeat-worried-yet/
Quote:
On a side note I just want to pay some credit to those Fulham fans who applauded the Villa faithful following the 19 minute Stan Petrov applause. The Villa fans started singing 'One Stiliyan Petrov' once the minutes applause had ended and then they started clapping towards the Villa faithful.

A great gesture that didn't go unnoticed.

Tags: Aston Villa, Craven Cottage, Fulham 1-0
unquote

Herbie

I'm a little surprised if there was unrest because I thought that there was a very respectful round of applause from the Fulham stands at the end of the minute.  As others have mentioned, it took a while for the reason for the applause to filter round the stands, but once it did the applause broke out.

Hats off to the Villa fans, it's a touching gesture and I thought that we gave it a great degree of respect.  

leonffc

Wasn't there today but in general I find that lot amongst the Least respectful bunch of fans about. Vile bunch - **** them!! But respect to Stan Petrov all the same. Quality player, quality bloke.

epsomraver

I assumed they were applauding the bloke who walked from the cottage to their dug out which I again assumed was Petrov?

Willard

I knew nothing about the 19 minute applause background until someone informed me at the game.

One thing I will say about the Villa fans though is that judging by the lot in The Rocket they are the most overweight set of, er, "geezers" I've seen in a long time.

They also see themselves as a BIG club.

Oiseau

We clapped for Petrov where I was sitting in the Johnny Haynes. I didn't know that they do it at every match, though.

They kept singing about our 'poo support' which was a bit much in all honesty but they made a good amount of noise. We seemed quite subdued which was a little disappointing. Then again, it was 0-0 for much of the match which doesn't exactly inspire exuberant singing...

LBNo11

...our support wasn't sh1t, I swear I heard the Hammersmith End sing at least once.

The villa fans are right about our vocal support...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Admin

I see the Low Country/Rockwells were a bit relaxed on doors staff before the game. They're not usually, but that big black guy didn't turn up until at least 1pm, on his own I'll add, but by that time it was to late. A load of Villa got in there early doors and to be honest, took the place over a bit. A few were bowling up and down in their flat caps and wet jackets like they owned the place and like Ed said, a couple were in a few of our own faces and thought, bad move. Anyway, by the time we started to the fill the place out, the Villa had realised they were out numbered and moved on, singing a few poofy songs at the door.

After the game, a few of the pissed up Villa youth were kicking over road signs and basically disrespecting all the other Fulham fans whilst walking away from the Cottage. Again, another bad move as they walking into a load of the Fulham in the park by the tennis courts. Never seen a load of fans go quiet so quick..

Not my favourite bunch of fans on the best of days.

A Humble Man

What happened to our support yesterday, you could hear what the players were saying to each other for a lot of the game.  We have become a very you only sing when you are winning lot of supporters.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

jms

ADMIN ......What exactly are 'Poofy' songs when they're at home ? No self - respecting 'poof' would be hanging around with those yobbie Villa fans.
And I'm using the term 'poof' with affection......unlike you I think.

TheDaddy

They started pouring into the Low Country at around 11:30 yesterday.didn't seem to pleased with the beer prices,there was an air of tension have to admit, but most just wanted a beer or three.Mind you they are a bit cheeky in there before 12 me pint cost £3:70 after 12 £4 .didn't make the full time session as i over did it pre match. Spent the time drinking at me mates house during the game.Next thing i remember was eating Mcdonalds at home christ the bus ride home must have been fun.....

Before i go Cheers Blingo + Company had a blinder great to see you all at long last !
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Burt

The atmosphere in the ground was a bit muted - Hammy End quietest I have heard for some time. The Villa lot were in good voice, to be fair to them.

Chicken and egg time - were the crowd reflecting the not particularly inspiring stuff in the pitch, or vice versa?

MJG

Quote from: Burt on October 21, 2012, 05:46:45 PM
The atmosphere in the ground was a bit muted - Hammy End quietest I have heard for some time. The Villa lot were in good voice, to be fair to them.

Chicken and egg time - were the crowd reflecting the not particularly inspiring stuff in the pitch, or vice versa?
I felt that the fans were a bit tense. It was a tight game and being fulhamish probably expected Villa to score. I know some at the back of H3 tried to get things started but it just did not happen.