watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Putting the Reading draw in perspective

Started by Rupert, October 28, 2012, 08:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rupert

The general consensus seems to be that we should have won.
Taking the lead with only a few minutes to go, that does seem to be a fair point.

Before the game there was a lot of confidence on us winning, some posters even correctly predicting we'd score three, shame they got the goals conceded wrong (and hang your head in shame, HatterDon, for asking when we last scored three away from home, though I freely admit I was right there with you when you posted it).

So, all in all, there will be a lot of disappointment around that we dropped two points.

However....
Let's not forget that, for Reading, this was widely seen as a Must Win Game. This was because they have had a tough start to the season and we are seen as always losing away from home (a gross exaggeration, but that's public perception for you), so yesterday was their big chance to get their season properly underway. Add to that a magnificent strike for their first goal, and as far as the football gods were concerned, that was it, Reading were going to win, at least until our own footballing god entered the fray and scored an equally stunning goal of his own to get us back into it.

And here is the point of all this rambling, we did not lose.

It is a trite comment, but still true, that apart from QPHa at home there are no easy games in the Premiership, and this includes newly promoted teams, still looking for their first win after eight games and on their own patch. How often have we seen our lot defy the odds at the Cottage? The seemingly lost games where we have came back to draw or win? Think of Diop's late screamer against Man U, last season's second half demolition of Man City, the complete reversal of fortunes in that 5-2 win over Newcastle. Teams do not like coming to the Cottage, even if we are caught out from time to time, so why should that not be true of anyone else's ground?

I know there is a growing body of opinion on here that we ought to be pushing for a top six spot, and who knows, if this team gels properly we could get close to that, but just as the likes of United can come unstuck against "lesser" teams, so can we, and frankly an away 3-3 draw is nothing to get upset about in this division.

Besides, how must Reading fans be feeling this morning, now they have blown their must win game?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

mr-ska

Although frustrated at giving away late goals again..  Im reasonable happy with the point on the road. We were 1-0 down for half an hour, im convinced in previous seasons we would of slipped to defeat. We were much the better side in the 2nd half..  and can see us taking all 3 points at The Cottage.

ffc73

At least the late goals conceded at Wigan, Soton and Reading are not turning draws into defeats

craig10

I see it differently. I think when a team scores with 2mins to go to lead the game they should then have the confidence to see the game out.

I see it as 2 points dropped not 1 point gained. Can not be satisfied with that no matter how it is put to me

sipwell

Quote from: FFC73 on October 28, 2012, 08:52:21 AM
At least the late goals conceded at Wigan, Soton and Reading are not turning draws into defeats

then again, is the difference between 1 point and 0 points that big?
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

nose

It's a bit of both. We should have got at least four points from southampton and reading. to concede a late goal once is one thing but twice is a great warning from above!
On the other hand we haven't lost, previous years we probably would have got no points or just one from those two games.
However, our midfield must be better organised at denying space and closing down opponents and we must have players on the posts from set pieces otherwise we continue to leak goals.

mickybrown100

We should of won, but we should of lost. If we defend like we did against Reading v Everton, we will get punished. Hangeland needs to get it sorted as his man is Felliani.

Fulham1959

Quote from: craig10 on October 28, 2012, 09:22:54 AM
I see it differently. I think when a team scores with 2mins to go to lead the game they should then have the confidence to see the game out.

I see it as 2 points dropped not 1 point gained. Can not be satisfied with that no matter how it is put to me

There's not a team in the land, or the world, against relatively well-matched opponents, who do not get nervous (if only occasionally) when leading by a single goal with a couple of minutes to go.  This is even more evident when the match has been a bit of a see-saw  -  players are only human.

BishopsParkFantastic

Let's hope against Everton that Jol "does the right thing" and picks Kaca to start, and not Rchardson; plays Ruiz with Berbatov from the start. Plays Deja from the start. In my view if he had followed this team choice against Reading we may have got 3 points. Incidentally, there were none of our five under-21s in the 1st team starting line up, or on the subs bench!

TonyGilroy

We shipped late goals against Reading and Southampton but also scored late. As we did against Villa.

5 points from those matches is about right based on both performance and degree of difficulty.

We are looking vulnerable to aerial bombardment and that needs to be addressed.

MasterHaynes

Quote from: nose on October 28, 2012, 09:31:55 AM
It's a bit of both. We should have got at least four points from southampton and reading. to concede a late goal once is one thing but twice is a great warning from above!
On the other hand we haven't lost, previous years we probably would have got no points or just one from those two games.
However, our midfield must be better organised at denying space and closing down opponents and we must have players on the posts from set pieces otherwise we continue to leak goals.
Twice ? thats the fourth time this season, this is becoming a lead weight around our neck. I can see the players starting to expect they will let a goal in at the death which will mean we stop playing our football in the last 10 minutes of every game. I am sure Jol is very aware of this and that we need a few clean scoresheets away from home quickly to settle the players.

AlFayedsChequebook

Unsurprisingly I agree with Rupert.

Is it irritating to concede late goals to Reading and Southampton? Yes. Were they avoidable, possibly, but at the same time when you attack more, you concede more goals. As much as the goals were about not defending set pieces, they were also about being more open and conceding free kicks around the penalty area. If you give a team several chances to put balls in the box from dead ball situations, it s not surprising when you concede.

The other important point to make, is hat it is not like we are controlling games and leading comfortably before conceding goals right at the end. What is happening is that we are scoring goals at the end of games then conceding immediately afterwards, which looks to me like the old the most dangerous time is when you have just scored a goal.

jarv

Good comment Rupert.  I, like everyone, was extremely disappointed about the late goal(s) Reading scored. However, 2 away games, 2-2 and 3-3, better than recent seasons and great entertainment value.
Southampton, Villa and Reading could have been 9 points but 5 is OK, Fulham in 6th place (until today's games are over. Not too shabby.

Burt

Interesting post.

It's a measure of how far we seem to have progressed that we are disappointed with scoring 3 goals and getting a point away from home. Bottom line is that we seem to be a bit more competitive on the road now, which is a positive.

Still too many late goals conceded - we had that disease in the first half of last season and we need to stop it now. It has cost us 2 points v Citeh, Southampton and Reading, and a top 3 position as a result.

Again, it's another measureof how far we seemed to have progressed that we can say it has cost us a top 3 position, rather than the chance to move away from the relegation zone.

Cautiously optmimistic...keep the faith...COYW.

Lighthouse

What needs to be put in perspective is the way we keep on approaching games away from home. The first half we were slow and careful and dull against a side that really didn't offer much. As we were against Saints. In the Prem there are a few clubs that will play us off the park on any given day. I have come to accept we will never match them 9 out of 10 times. But when we clearly are the better side it is a shame we are so careful to start in many games.

We may lack the direct forward our play deserves. Ruiz and Berbatov are wonderful players but are not direct. Pog and the old man of Reading proved how awkward players of limited skill but direct style can be.

Whatever the problem is we are too slow to play these sides. Yes the results have been good. Yes given the time of our goals we should be four points better off. But swings and roundabouts during a season may even that out. But the play, pass pass before we reach the half way line is fine against the good sides. But Reading and Saints we should be better at dismantling.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

mangoputney

Win games away against Reading Soton etc then were nailed on 6th / 9th

Drop points in that vein then anything between 9th / 14th

Liking the squad, liking Jol, but if progression is what we want then regardless of form, history against Shi te teams etc you should not be losing like that

After November back where we belong 10th to 12th :$
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

MasterHaynes

Summarised it all perfectly, yes disappointing, but performances away from home are worth travelling to watch for the first time an many seasons and our expectations are higher as a result. Just hope we can close a few more games out in a more controlled manner.

Enter the Frei

would of taken a draw before the game, but the way it happened will always hurt

A Humble Man

Loved Jol comment if you score three goals against a team like Reading you would expect to win.  It is not that long ago we were a team like Reading, it shows the progress we have made.  I for one expect us to qualify for Europe and it would be great if it was the Champions League and we would have a laugh on the two Ds who left to get what they could have got if they had stayed (assuming they were in the Team).
We Are Fulham, Believe.

RoyTund

There is definitely progress in our approach to away matches.