watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

where is the view from south Texas?

Started by jarv, November 05, 2012, 12:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

I missed the first half.  Looked like Fulham were outplayed second half and WHO was marking the big Belgian. He had the freedom of the park second half. It appeared as though Hughes had been given the task but that was a mismatch and nobody was picking him up when he came through midfield.

Hangeland? Really was a question mark again. Nowhere near anybody when it matters. (corners, free kicks) He just isn't attacking the ball any more. Got caught in possesion a couple of times. That's the way it looked second half.

Am I wrong?

sipwell

I think the great 'quality' of the big Belgian is that he has a free role and it is almost impossible to mark him. He shows up where he wants and if he wants... I think Fellaini must be one of the only football players in this league who is allowed to 'stroll' on the pitch. Sometimes he is seemingly not in a hurry to get to the penalty spot. How can you mark that?
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Airfix

Quote from: jarv on November 05, 2012, 12:55:06 PM
WHO was marking the big Belgian. He had the freedom of the park second half.

For long periods it was 2'6" Sascha Riether.  It was like watching Equalizer mark.... well.... an adult.

jarv

Mr Sipwell, correct, it is difficult to mark. Fellaini clearly is developing into one of those attacking midfielders who arrives late and into space. (Not many of them about, Lampard, Dempsey, Scholes, John Wark back in the day).

I just felt that perhaps Baird should be tracking him when he drifts into Fulham's half to make his life a bit more difficult. Not a Baird criticism, just somebody needed to provide some pressure on him. He was wide open when around the Fulham box and for his second goal....nobody even near him.

sipwell

Quote from: Airfix on November 05, 2012, 01:11:54 PM

For long periods it was 2'6" Sascha Riether.  It was like watching Equalizer mark.... well.... an adult.

Oh you!

MasterHaynes

I missed the first half.  Looked like Fulham were outplayed second half and WHO was marking the big Belgian. He had the freedom of the park second half. It appeared as though Hughes had been given the task but that was a mismatch and nobody was picking him up when he came through midfield.

Hangeland? Really was a question mark again. Nowhere near anybody when it matters. (corners, free kicks) He just isn't attacking the ball any more. Got caught in possesion a couple of times. That's the way it looked second half.

Am I wrong?
You're right but it was hangeland losing the ball and then winning it back that led to our goal so some redemption for him

ToodlesMcToot

Hangeland's recent performances, when compared to past escapades, make question whether he's just on a bad run of form. Is he that distracted by the contract situation and the last chance at a big payday.

THis is by no means a "Hangeland's past it" or "Hangeland out" type comment, but he's not playing to his usual standard IMO.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

RidgeRider

Quote from: Airfix on November 05, 2012, 01:11:54 PM

For long periods it was 2'6" Sascha Riether.  It was like watching Equalizer mark.... well.... an adult.

:011:

RidgeRider

Quote from: jarv on November 05, 2012, 01:14:26 PM
Mr Sipwell, correct, it is difficult to mark. Fellaini clearly is developing into one of those attacking midfielders who arrives late and into space. (Not many of them about, Lampard, Dempsey, Scholes, John Wark back in the day).

I just felt that perhaps Baird should be tracking him when he drifts into Fulham's half to make his life a bit more difficult. Not a Baird criticism, just somebody needed to provide some pressure on him. He was wide open when around the Fulham box and for his second goal....nobody even near him.

I agree. He was left all by himself too many times. Roaming or not it seems you need to put a body on him and we gave him space far too many times. I'm sure our defenders were covering other threats but he IS their biggest threat so not sure what the thinking was....maybe he doesn't use deodorant.

CH FFC

For his second goal he was plainly stronger than Hughes, which was a surprise to me.  Hughes usually works harder than the other guy, on and off the pitch.  I felt that perhaps schwarzer was a little slow, but someone else could have put on pressure. 

Berbatov has a free role, he does what he wants alot like the Belgian.  What was up with Berbatov?  He lost possesion how many times? 

leonffc

Quote from: CH FFC on November 05, 2012, 09:01:54 PM
For his second goal he was plainly stronger than Hughes, which was a surprise to me.  Hughes usually works harder than the other guy, on and off the pitch.  I felt that perhaps schwarzer was a little slow, but someone else could have put on pressure. 

Berbatov has a free role, he does what he wants alot like the Belgian.  What was up with Berbatov?  He lost possesion how many times?

I just thought Berbatov was often left isolated by his team mates, probably due to the pressure we were under at times. I know Kaca was criticised for not tracking back as much but when he went off Berbatov cut a lonely frustrated figure for a while. He was going mad at a few poor passes aimed at him.
Going back to Kaca, I was watching Berbatov talking him through the game at times, telling him calm down and relax etc. that impressed me (especially as he was doing his nut at other players).

nevzter

I suppose the VFST is sipping an iced tea in a recliner, as I type this, and untroubled by anything but the election tomorrow...   :HD:

COYW
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

HatterDon

See, you guys don't need me at all. This thread has gotten more response than the usual VFST.

Due to conflicts, I couldn't watch the match until the day after it was played. So, there was no report. There will be one for the Arsenal match. :HD:
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Burt

Quote from: HatterDon on November 06, 2012, 12:21:56 PM
See, you guys don't need me at all. This thread has gotten more response than the usual VFST.

Due to conflicts, I couldn't watch the match until the day after it was played. So, there was no report. There will be one for the Arsenal match. :HD:

I look forward to reading about our first ever victory at theirs.

You heard it here first....

sipwell

Your analysis is mostly so brilliant I cannot find the words to reply... :HD:

Steve_orino

Quote from: sipwell on November 06, 2012, 01:14:42 PM

Your analysis is mostly so brilliant I cannot find the words to reply... :HD:

Thread becomes pretty boring with a bunch of  :plus one:'s following the Original Post
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

west kowloon white

Views much missed-pleased to hear back on the keys for an interesting Saturday tks!