watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The disease that is ruining football

Started by Sanchezs Tactician, November 15, 2012, 06:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanchezs Tactician

My 3rd post on my blog guys. It's all about diving in football. Have a look! Also looking to write up a few things Fulham related soon. COYW!

http://theoilmerchant.wordpress.com/2012/11/15/the-disease-that-is-ruining-football/

YankeeJim

Good Lord man, if a player was banned for three matches for diving, the average Series A team wouldn't be able to field a full squad by the third match of the season.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Sanchezs Tactician

Quote from: YankeeJim on November 15, 2012, 06:32:36 PM
Good Lord man, if a player was banned for three matches for diving, the average Series A team wouldn't be able to field a full squad by the third match of the season.

Hahaha spot on. We need to make examples of some of these idiots though don't we.

TonyGilroy

Gary Neville is very good on "diving". It's rarely outright cheating and impossible for a ref to spot in real time unless it's really badly done.

sunburywhite

I must say I dont like yur Avitar

Any chance of changing it?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Mr_Moon

So you've blogged about how diving is the 'disease that is ruining football' yet you've glorified Roy Keane who is a complete thug and you yearn for more two footed tackles. Right. Thankfully most people have moved on from liking physical football that's devoid of any technical ability.

There are far worse problems in football than diving.

jarv

Decent comment but wish to add that Keane was a bad choice of example. (Vinnie Jones with an Irish accent).

I dislike the diving and also (not the players fault) the rule shielding the ball out of play. It used to be known as obstruction to block an opponent getting to the ball,  I wish they would re-introduce that. Better still, can only shield the ball when in possesion which would mean the defender would actually have to touch the ball before he could shield it. That would put the cat amongst the pidgeons.

grimmynz

Couldn't agree with you more Jarv.  Nothing annoys me more than a player deliberately blocking another without making any attempt to play the ball.  Is obstruction not still in the rule book?

Sanchezs Tactician

Quote from: Mr_Moon on November 15, 2012, 08:49:55 PM
So you've blogged about how diving is the 'disease that is ruining football' yet you've glorified Roy Keane who is a complete thug and you yearn for more two footed tackles. Right. Thankfully most people have moved on from liking physical football that's devoid of any technical ability.

There are far worse problems in football than diving.

One idiotic tackle on Haaland makes him a thug? Do me a favour the guy had an attitude and desire for the game that you can't find anymore. And in relation to two footed tackles, I'm just emphasising my point. I don't stand for reckless challenges but it seems that nowadays it seems that as you go to ground to make a tackle, the ref has already got his lips to the whistle. I appreciate technical ability as much as the next man but I despise seeing players falling over the place, that's not what football's about. Ok if there are far worse problems, name me them.

Sanchezs Tactician

Quote from: sunburywhite on November 15, 2012, 07:18:31 PM
I must say I dont like yur Avitar

Any chance of changing it?

Yeah I will do seeing as no one has warmed to my ridicule of Lawrie Sanchez haha

Sanchezs Tactician

Quote from: jarv on November 15, 2012, 09:12:16 PM
Decent comment but wish to add that Keane was a bad choice of example. (Vinnie Jones with an Irish accent).

I dislike the diving and also (not the players fault) the rule shielding the ball

out of play. It used to be known as obstruction to block an opponent getting to the ball,  I wish they would re-introduce that. Better still, can only shield the ball when in possesion which would mean the defender would actually have to touch the ball before he could shield it. That would put the cat amongst the pidgeons.

Couldn't agree more with that. It really gets on my nerves

MisfitKid

Quote from: Sanchezs Tactician on November 15, 2012, 09:41:36 PM

I dislike the diving and also (not the players fault) the rule shielding the ball

out of play. It used to be known as obstruction to block an opponent getting to the ball,  I wish they would re-introduce that. Better still, can only shield the ball when in possesion which would mean the defender would actually have to touch the ball before he could shield it. That would put the cat amongst the pidgeons.

Couldn't agree more with that. It really gets on my nerves

I think both are a concern.  My issue is with faking injury...   :014:
A player rolls around like they were shot, physio runs out, applies magic spray, carried off the pitch...
And runs out 3 seconds later...   fp.gif
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

MisfitKid

SWEEEEEEET, 500 POSTS!!!
You'll never shut me up!!   :Get Coat gif:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Mr_Moon

Quote from: Sanchezs Tactician on November 15, 2012, 09:39:58 PM

One idiotic tackle on Haaland makes him a thug? Do me a favour the guy had an attitude and desire for the game that you can't find anymore. And in relation to two footed tackles, I'm just emphasising my point. I don't stand for reckless challenges but it seems that nowadays it seems that as you go to ground to make a tackle, the ref has already got his lips to the whistle. I appreciate technical ability as much as the next man but I despise seeing players falling over the place, that's not what football's about. Ok if there are far worse problems, name me them.

We all saw Keane's career. Whilst he was a very gifted footballer he was also a gobshite and a destroyer who put in lots of bad 'challenges' aside from the Haaland incident. The game has evolved a lot over the past two decades and has become much faster. As a consequence, there are more mistimed tackles and a greater chance of injury for players. We aren't talking Norman Hunter kicking a player up in the air during a slow game in a quagmire. This isn't a case of diving, it's a case of dangerous play. Take Spearing's tackle on Dembele last season or that Shelvey 50/50 with Evans from this season. Sure both of them weren't malicious but it's dangerous play and both players on the receiving end were lucky not to be injured. Watch ESPN Classic or the Big Match revisited on ITV to see how much the game has changed and how much better off it is now.

List of problems that are worse than diving

Gulf in financial strength of clubs since inception of Premier League
Removal of shared gate receipts (see above)
Financial Fairplay's inception now closing the door to the new kids on the block
Elite Player Performance Plan destroying academies across the country
Inflated wages, club turnover for wages and the consequences it has on fans (Clubs in the 4th division and Conference now charge up to £20 for an adult)
Agent power
Academies full of foreign imports (see agent power), especially those naughty diving types.
Clubs taking the piss with cup competitions because they aren't as lucrative
Fans not giving two hoots about the stability and traditions of their club, instead only caring about short term glory.
Tribalism

Sanchezs Tactician

Mr moon, if you'd of read my first post, those problems are something that I touch on. I agree that the game has changed significantly and in most cases for the better, but do you believe the play acting, overreaction and diving from players is right? This is the point I'm trying to make. Yes the increase of pace in the game has led to challenges having to be more careful but we are currently giving fouls for tackles which are perfectly legitimate

Andy S

Our very own Rodney Marsh was the best diver going. (Chopper) Ron Harris always told the ref that players dived. There is a fine line to be marked depending who you support

Mr_Moon

Quote from: Sanchezs Tactician on November 15, 2012, 10:34:25 PM
Mr moon, if you'd of read my first post, those problems are something that I touch on. I agree that the game has changed significantly and in most cases for the better, but do you believe the play acting, overreaction and diving from players is right? This is the point I'm trying to make. Yes the increase of pace in the game has led to challenges having to be more careful but we are currently giving fouls for tackles which are perfectly legitimate

No, but I wouldn't call it the disease of the game nor would I prioritise it for stamping out ahead of the things I've mentioned (bar the last three). It's also interesting that you've compared the disciplinary system to that of the NFL and rugby. The NFL are far more lenient than the FA, take Suh's stamp last year, he was given a 2 game ban. Take the drug abuse and they're extremely lenient with that.

Forever Fulham

Some very goods points raised here about why fans get so incensed about flopping but less so about dangerous tackles.  The former doesn't injure players offends our notions of fair play and, for lack of a better word, manliness.  But I think the cynical tackle is far more despicable.  Ryan Shawcross anyone?
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=ryan+shawcross+tackle&oq=Ryan+Shawc&gs_l=hp.1.2.0l4.0.0.1.437.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.s1DkW_u2aG0&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=95de99d2aacf4e5d&bpcl=38625945&biw=1536&bih=702   

CanadianCottager

Diving doesn't end a players career. Tackles like Ryan Shawcross's above do. Playacting is disgraceful gamesmanship but at the end of the day I'm firmly in Mr. Moon's camp about what's really plaguing the game today.

FC Silver Fox

I dislike the diving and also (not the players fault) the rule shielding the ball out of play. It used to be known as obstruction to block an opponent getting to the ball,  I wish they would re-introduce that. Better still, can only shield the ball when in possesion which would mean the defender would actually have to touch the ball before he could shield it. That would put the cat amongst the pidgeons.

Jarv, that's an excellent idea. Ever thought of joining the board of the FA ?
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.