watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

expectations v. reality

Started by jarv, December 16, 2012, 05:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

I just got in and did not know the score from yesterday In total shock, more because of the reports and the commensts on here about how bad Fulham were. So, this is not a knee jerk but I feel a reality check is needed at Fulham.

We have had 4 great seasons and expectations have gone up so the current form hurts more. We expect to be a mid table team, but current form confirms Fulham is a bottom 6 team, that is the reality. The Newcastle game was a glimmer of hope, perhaps a return to pre Sunderland form. The team is clearly in free fall now. I am very worried that there will not even be any wins against Swansea and Southampton at home.

Why? The really worrying thing is Reading, Southampton, Sunderland, QPR....could not beat any of the worst 4 teams in the division. OK, it was punctuated by Newcastle, Arsaenal and Chelsea but current form is RELEGATION form.

Signed
(now) very concerned Fulham supporter.

mangoputney

+
Quote from: jarv on December 16, 2012, 05:55:24 PM
I just got in and did not know the score from yesterday In total shock, more because of the reports and the commensts on here about how bad Fulham were. So, this is not a knee jerk but I feel a reality check is needed at Fulham.

We have had 4 great seasons and expectations have gone up so the current form hurts more. We expect to be a mid table team, but current form confirms Fulham is a bottom 6 team, that is the reality. The Newcastle game was a glimmer of hope, perhaps a return to pre Sunderland form. The team is clearly in free fall now. I am very worried that there will not even be any wins against Swansea and Southampton at home.

Why? The really worrying thing is Reading, Southampton, Sunderland, QPR....could not beat any of the worst 4 teams in the division. OK, it was punctuated by Newcastle, Arsaenal and Chelsea but current form is RELEGATION form.

Signed
(now) very concerned Fulham supporter.
[/quote

+1 said the same post Sunderland only to get shot down
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

JackyFulham90

Sorry don't agree,

We played well against Newcastle but we were really poor yesterday , we still have top 10 quality but we are missing Diarra & Ruiz badly which shows Jol really does need to beef up the squad

Oiseau

I agree.

The Premiership feels very clustered this season. There are lot of very good mid-table type clubs who are jostling for a few limited places (WBA, Swansea, Newcastle, Norwich et al...) Our current form in absolutely sub par while these teams continue to play well.

There are a number of serious problems with our squad that need addressing. In the meantime it's important that something is done to make the best of the current situation. It means getting our players motivated, improving their fitness and bringing up youngsters. I'm still behind Jol but this is still a particularly poor time for us. Our transfer business was incredibly disappointing and it's hurting us now.

JackyFulham90, I didn't think we played well against Newcastle at all. The match was very fraught and there were still some issues with the squad (including Berba being forced to play in a deep role that doesn't suit him.) That was also a hugely depleted and injury-hit Newcastle side. Agree about Ruiz's absence, though.

jarv

Jacky, 3 goals conceded v Arsenal, Reading, Tottenham, Sunderland,  2 v. Southampton, QPR....I don't think that is top 10 quality. The defence needs to be fixed, sadly it is the one part of Fulham we could rely on. Not any more. (temporarily I hope)

Jack Fulham

Quote from: Oiseau on December 16, 2012, 07:15:58 PMJackyFulham90, I didn't think we played well against Newcastle at all. The match was very fraught and there were still some issues with the squad (including Berba being forced to play in a deep role that doesn't suit him.) That was also a hugely depleted and injury-hit Newcastle side. Agree about Ruiz's absence, though.

Newcastle aren't playing that well this season and the only key player they missing was Cabaye and maybe Stephen Taylor but he's always injured. They had Cisse, Ba and Ben Arfa in attack and only Ben Arfa caused us problems. We still looked dangerous and created a lot of chances. I think the problem with the QPR game is that the players thought QPR would just roll over like they've done a lot of times this season and lets be honest, a lot of our fans thought that too. Our attitude towards them was far too relaxed so hopefully this will ensure they get there act together for next week.

mangoputney

Quote from: Jack Fulham on December 16, 2012, 07:33:12 PM
Quote from: Oiseau on December 16, 2012, 07:15:58 PMJackyFulham90, I didn't think we played well against Newcastle at all. The match was very fraught and there were still some issues with the squad (including Berba being forced to play in a deep role that doesn't suit him.) That was also a hugely depleted and injury-hit Newcastle side. Agree about Ruiz's absence, though.

Newcastle aren't playing that well this season and the only key player they missing was Cabaye and maybe Stephen Taylor but he's always injured. They had Cisse, Ba and Ben Arfa in attack and only Ben Arfa caused us problems. We still looked dangerous and created a lot of chances. I think the problem with the QPR game is that the players thought QPR would just roll over like they've done a lot of times this season and lets be honest, a lot of our fans thought that too. Our attitude towards them was far too relaxed so hopefully this will ensure they get there act together for next week.

If it was a home game I'd be pretty confident of that

Being away.............. Nah
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

SP

I think I've nailed down the reasons for yesterday's no-show:

1) Ticket sales, the club are looking to entice another 3,000 Hoops back to the Cottage at £40 a pop.

2) Lulling them into a false sense of security, judging by the posts on WATRB (example below) it's working.

"Provided yesterday saw the beginning of long run of home wins for us, a point away will be the minimum we will be looking for at Newcastle. If we can somehow continue this good run under Harry, become hard to beat home and away, we will pick up the odd 3 points on our travels.  For the first time, in what seems like a lifetime, the immediate future on the field looks bright."

HatterDon

I think I picked us to finish 16th this season back in August. I'm hoping for that right now.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Mr Fulham

Our current squad is definitely not better than where we are at the moment. However, after a fine start of the season, we've really not been up for it for the past couple of matches.

Our squad is too old, it doesn't surprise anyone. Our football is dull and we only deliver when Berbatov and Ruiz are up for it.

We need quality in January but you hardly get that during the season. Expect some more oldies to come and fill in til summer.

JackyFulham90

With Diarra & Ruiz we are a top 10 side without them we are not

Snibbo

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on December 17, 2012, 01:06:37 AM
You're possibly right, though Diarra has not looked good in recent matches.  And the trouble is, the backup is totally inadequate.

Burt

It's a really congested table.

3 losses and we will be in a relegation scrap.

3 wins and we will be getting our maps of Europe out.

What we can't afford is a repetition of the "don't give a stuff" malaise that the "team" showed on Saturday.

mangoputney

Quote from: Snibbo on December 17, 2012, 01:18:59 AM
Quote from: JackyFulham90 on December 17, 2012, 01:06:37 AM
You're possibly right, though Diarra has not looked good in recent matches.  And the trouble is, the backup is totally inadequate.

there's no point having quality on paper, we have not been cutting it for a good few months now

re: top ten aspirations Jarv is right in that

Reading, Southampton, Sunderland, QPR....we could not beat any of the worst 4 teams in the division

flip side, i'm with Burt in that two 'team' performances over Crimbo could ease the wobble and I'll be there backing them

rightly or wrongly the team needs to start matching our expectations, Sat was frankly an utter shambles

sipwell

No creative midfield. Berbatov is brilliant at times but his frustration in my opinion can easily demotivate the other players. He can act 'spoiled' in a way and if things look bad (like they did at QPR), no doubt that has an influence on the mood of the Bairds and Sidwells of our team. Therefore, someone creative at midfield (a good passer) like Murphy would have seen a completely different Fulham.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Swiss72

I am usually quite balanced in my assessment, but what I saw on Saturday was borderline professional mistake. Total joke. Even Schwarzer seemed to admit it when he turned to us at half-time and looked quite sad...
I understand we miss key players, that the average age is high and that the Monday night game was a tough battle (although we did not play well), but the players simply did not give the impression to be involved and showed zero urgency. Heads down, a lot of arms waiving and no real impact in challenges. Unacceptable given the number of fans who travelled to the game, and especially for a local derby.  
QPR is probably the worst team I have seen this season, but frankly to let them dictate the game for 85 minutes is just mind boggling.
But what worries me more than the rest is the lack of leader in the squad. Nobody is trying to rally the troops when things are tough, nobody takes the game in the hand and pushes foward (a bit like Taarbat did). Certainly not our curent skipper and I don't think Berbatov wants to play that role (although I don't know). So we lack someone like Danny Murphy, someone with a big heart and passion.
This is very worrying as you cannot buy passion and spirit, not in January, not in the summer. And I really feel that something seems broken in the squad and that the issue is deeper than a few good players missing.

FFC1987

Just read a few threads where people/media have linked us to the following: Balotelli, Lampard and even more astonishing Sneider. Thought its relevent in the expectations/realism thread as it shows peoples imaginations are running wild.

Wimbledon_White

We expect to be a mid table team, but current form confirms Fulham is a bottom 6 team , that is the reality.
We haven't been in the bottom six since the Great Escape season of 07/08 - 5 years ago. Indeed our lowest in those 5 years has been 12th. So, no, we are not a 'bottom 6 team' at all.

The team is clearly in free fall now.
Yes form is poor at the moment but I feel 'free fall' is overly pesimistic. Have you no faith at all?

Current form is RELEGATION form.
I suppose you are right on that, our form is poor. However I am happy to have £50 with you now that we won't be anywhere near a relegation scrap come May. Interested?

Texas White

Quote from: Swiss72 on December 17, 2012, 10:10:36 AM
I am usually quite balanced in my assessment, but what I saw on Saturday was borderline professional mistake. Total joke. Even Schwarzer seemed to admit it when he turned to us at half-time and looked quite sad...
I understand we miss key players, that the average age is high and that the Monday night game was a tough battle (although we did not play well), but the players simply did not give the impression to be involved and showed zero urgency. Heads down, a lot of arms waiving and no real impact in challenges. Unacceptable given the number of fans who travelled to the game, and especially for a local derby. 
QPR is probably the worst team I have seen this season, but frankly to let them dictate the game for 85 minutes is just mind boggling.
But what worries me more than the rest is the lack of leader in the squad. Nobody is trying to rally the troops when things are tough, nobody takes the game in the hand and pushes foward (a bit like Taarbat did). Certainly not our curent skipper and I don't think Berbatov wants to play that role (although I don't know). So we lack someone like Danny Murphy, someone with a big heart and passion.
This is very worrying as you cannot buy passion and spirit, not in January, not in the summer. And I really feel that something seems broken in the squad and that the issue is deeper than a few good players missing.

I just dont get the lack of motivation from some of the players. It was a shamefull performance from most of them considering it was a derby game.
There is nothing constructive in naming names or pointing the finger we just did not seem to start in the right manner and then that continued. That and the poor team selection is the fault of the manager.
Berbatov has suprised me with his work rate and effort. If only some of the other's could match him.
I found myself trying to name the team after the game and think of of the missing positions. I think we played with two at the back, two in midfield and one up front. Never going to win a game with six players.