watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Frei to return at Anfield?

Started by JackyFulham90, December 18, 2012, 11:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackyFulham90

I know he had a poor game against Spurs but he is still a top youngster and should be playing regular games for us I feel, also could he play as a number 10? Would be interesting to see a front 4 of

Duff Frei Kacaniklic

Berbatov

Anyone else agree regarding Frei?

CurryForMario

He seems like he has the ability to play as a number 10 - but I wouldn't gamble playing him their against Liverpool - no matter what people say theyre still one of the hardest teams to play against
He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

TWFL

I'd say that's his best and most dangerous position. For me it's between him and Kasami to start there.

God The Mechanic

As long as he makes the runs ahead of Berba that could work - add a truck load of pace and some unpredictability up top.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Have we ever seen Frei play anywhere other than left wing? He can certainly run with the ball but can he hold the ball up? Can he pick a pass?

Playing number 10 is a challenge. Ruiz, now, and Berbatov can do it. Is Frei really ready for it? And against Liverpool?

God The Mechanic

Hasn't he always said that he prefers to play more central?  As for holding the ball up - maybe he won't be the typical no 10 in that he'll keep he ball and remain fairly static, but will keep it by driving forwards, almost like a central winger... if that even makes sense.  His passing can be hit and miss though.

Bassey the warrior

It will be Berba or Petric and rightly so. If we're going to experiment let's do it against an easier opponent.

I would not make any innovative changes against Liverpool away but if you where to partner anyone up front with Berbatov other than Petric, my first choice, or Rodallega while Ruiz is out then I would choose Kacaniklic who seems to have some understanding with Berbatov and has a better eye for a pass and goal than Frei.

HatterDon

This season we need to see more of Frei, Special K, Trotta, Briggs, and Stockdale. Our 30+ guys are falling apart physically. Let the kids have a chance.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

BishopsParkFantastic

I think, with Jol's selection policy, it's difficult to know when Frei will make an appearance in the 1st team. I would like him to be rotated with Kaca against Liverpool in the outside left slot.

I was looking at the under-21 team sheet for the last game against Man City, and it looks as though he was played in the No. 10 position (?), and I agree, this may be the position where he develops and achieves his full potential.

For some time, I have argued the point that it was wrong to send Frei out on loan to Cardiff for a period of 5 matches .... only, as it turned out, to play for a cumulative total of 85 minutes! It would have been better (as I think it would be for Trotta and some of our other young players), to develop in the under 21s, and to benefit from having playing time in the 1st team, as substitutes. We have a lot of players with international experience that our young talent can learn from in training, and being amongst, as part of the 1st team on match days.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: BishopsParkFantastic on December 19, 2012, 04:39:35 AM
I think, with Jol's selection policy, it's difficult to know when Frei will make an appearance in the 1st team. I would like him to be rotated with Kaca against Liverpool in the outside left slot.

I was looking at the under-21 team sheet for the last game against Man City, and it looks as though he was played in the No. 10 position (?), and I agree, this may be the position where he develops and achieves his full potential.

For some time, I have argued the point that it was wrong to send Frei out on loan to Cardiff for a period of 5 matches .... only, as it turned out, to play for a cumulative total of 85 minutes! It would have been better (as I think it would be for Trotta and some of our other young players), to develop in the under 21s, and to benefit from having playing time in the 1st team, as substitutes. We have a lot of players with international experience that our young talent can learn from in training, and being amongst, as part of the 1st team on match days.

I don't think many would've foreseen Frei getting so little playing time.

BishopsParkFantastic

Quote from: The Moose on December 19, 2012, 05:07:27 AM

Exactly - loans are unpredictable, and can be detrimental to a players confidence / development process

MJG

Quote from: HatterDon on December 19, 2012, 03:44:44 AM
This season we need to see more of Frei, Special K, Trotta, Briggs, and Stockdale. Our 30+ guys are falling apart physically. Let the kids have a chance.
+1

A Humble Man

The thought of Frei returning does not excite me as he has not set the World on fire this season, in fact he looks grossly overweight to me.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

elgreenio

he's merely bulked up, said it himself early on he's stronger than he's ever been.

On the #10 note, he'll eventually play there (and does pretty much every time he drops to the u21s or 18s previously). Unfortunately that's our key position at the moment and is too much responsibility for him. Think Kaca will play at pool but wouldn't begrudge Frei game time

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
touch my camera through the fence

Frei was injured. He was sent to Cardiff to get some playing time but he didn't get it so he was brought back.

The clue is in the title: u21s. It is surely better to be playing with and against experienced players in the Championship or even League 1 or 2 in real competitions than with and against 18-21 year olds in a competition that not all clubs take seriously.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on December 19, 2012, 12:16:38 PM

Frei was injured. He was sent to Cardiff to get some playing time but he didn't get it so he was brought back.

The clue is in the title: u21s. It is surely better to be playing with and against experienced players in the Championship or even League 1 or 2 in real competitions than with and against 18-21 year olds in a competition that not all clubs take seriously.

You're preaching to the converted here mate.

Quote from: The Moose on December 19, 2012, 01:28:02 PM
Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on December 19, 2012, 12:16:38 PM

You're preaching to the converted here mate.

Yes, sorry. I don't know what went wrong there. I meant to quote one or other of the "he should be playing for the u21s" posts.

TommyBarrs

I don't no why people are saying he played poor against Spurs.... He was trying to beat players, if it was anyone on that team he looked more like doing something, He done well against Chelsea he beat two players on the left hand side. This boy is a class act, and should be playing more. and i feel Jol will bring him into the CM/AM

David Allen Crankshaw

He did play in the number 10 position against Manchester City U21 and had quite a good game in torrential rain. The manager may want him tried there again before he thinks about trying him in the first team.