News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bryan Ruiz was moved to central midfield for the last 15 minutes...

Started by Frankie-Peter Taylor, January 01, 2013, 05:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankie-Peter Taylor

I posted this perhaps should happen a few days/weeks ago and to be honest, I was surprised to see it happen even if for only 15 minutes. Now obviously because I had it in mind for this to happen, I kept a close eye out, and I believe he beat a couple of men and did have an attacking influence as we begun to be pinned back by West Bromwich Albion. I must admit I wasn't looking out for his defensive side, because West Brom like using the wings, and I'm also not sure whether there was a lot of defending for him to do, more sticking to the shape and the bank of four, which he did.

I saw people say on Twitter that is was almost as if we were playing a 4-6-0 formation because both Dimitar Berbatov and Bryan Ruiz like to come deep and collect the ball, this is the other positive of having Ruiz in central midfield because we could have a Hugo Rodallega, Mladen Petric or dare I say it? Darren Bent? As the headpoint of the attack and gives a definite figure head.

I don't want to bore you with this much more so I promise (maybe) I will not bring this up again. Oh, and I'm not saying we should sign Darren Bent, I am aware we have other priorities but if the money is there, the price is right and we've bought the neccesities...

Holders

It was a good move as we needed to hold the ball up better. Rodallega was an outlet and Ruiz did what it said on the tin. Not the first name that might have come to mind but it worked in that we didn't concede our customary late goal. So you may have a point but I do like him in his normal position and we have no-one else who can do that role as well with the departure of the two D's. 

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Jack Fulham

I'm glad Rodallega came on, we're a bit static when we have Ruiz and Berba up top as there is not a lot of movement as they both tend to come deep.  Thought Bryan did a good job in a centre mid although he does sometimes look a bit casual but I think that is just the way he carries himself.

A Humble Man

Ruiz was playing Murphy like passes all game if Petric or Bent could do some deadly finishing we will be very productive.

So many good things happened in that game we were passing well, made a lot of progressive passes and defended very well.  If we could put away a much higher proportion of the chances created we would be a very good team indeed.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

stich09

I've heard a lot of talk about Jol's strange changes, but this change seemed to be perfect. Put someone who can hold the ball well deeper to collect it, who can then move it to the next level to Berbatov to hold it even more. Having them at two different levels is invaluable to holding possession.

I, for one, want nothing to do with Darren Bent. I'd rather have Rodallega, and we already have him.

A Humble Man

Quote from: stich09 on January 01, 2013, 06:27:28 PM
I've heard a lot of talk about Jol's strange changes, but this change seemed to be perfect. Put someone who can hold the ball well deeper to collect it, who can then move it to the next level to Berbatov to hold it even more. Having them at two different levels is invaluable to holding possession.

I, for one, want nothing to do with Darren Bent. I'd rather have Rodallega, and we already have him.

Bent will put the ball in the net a lot more often than Rodders but then so should Petric.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

CurryForMario

I think Bent would be great for us. Berbatov loves to come deep which can leave us with nobody up top, and I feel Bent's movement is very good which could benefit us greatly.
He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

MJG

A word of caution,he was moved there at a time when WBA had almost 3 or 4 up front so he had a little more room.
I still don't think he will be able to do it game in game out at CM.

craig10

i think we need a formation change to allow Berba and Ruiz play in the same starting 11....
they are 2 gifted players but playing them together IMO reduces our attacking threat

MJG

Quote from: craig10 on January 01, 2013, 07:03:12 PM
i think we need a formation change to allow Berba and Ruiz play in the same starting 11....
they are 2 gifted players but playing them together IMO reduces our attacking threat
the only way I see it really working would mean losing the wingers. 4-3-2-1 (Ruiz behind with Berbatov and say Bent or Berbatov up top)or 4-3-1-2 (Ruiz behind Berbatov and AN Other). Or 3 CB's and wing backs and 2 cm's

A Humble Man

All of our so called wingers could play in a 4-3-3 as they all cut into the middle now.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

craig10

Quote from: MJG on January 01, 2013, 07:10:03 PM
Quote from: craig10 on January 01, 2013, 07:03:12 PM
the only way I see it really working would mean losing the wingers. 4-3-2-1 (Ruiz behind with Berbatov and say Bent or Berbatov up top)or 4-3-1-2 (Ruiz behind Berbatov and AN Other). Or 3 CB's and wing backs and 2 cm's

exactly..
5.3.2 - 3.5.2 or 4.3.3 either way a formation change and losing wingers....
if u could trust Ruiz n Berba to work hard for 90 mins off the ball u could keep the wingers and drop them both into centre mid....

MJG

Quote from: A Humble Man on January 01, 2013, 07:15:56 PM
All of our so called wingers could play in a 4-3-3 as they all cut into the middle now.
I know what your saying but you could not have this team
                   Schwarzer
Reither-Hughes-Hangeland-Briggs
              Duff-Sidwell-Kaca
                        Ruiz
               Bent-Berbatov

craig10

Quote from: MJG on January 01, 2013, 07:33:05 PM
Quote from: A Humble Man on January 01, 2013, 07:15:56 PM
I know what your saying but you could not have this team
                  Schwarzer
             Duff-Sidwell-Kaca
                       Ruiz
              Bent-Berbatov

agreed... to play 433 like that u would need 3 people that will work non stop like Sidwell does
would be more a 4.3.2.1

would be more

Schwarzer
                     Diara (stay infront of back 4 like a parker or dejong)
          Sidwell    -     Karagounis
                  Ruiz - Berbatov
                       Bent

craig10

Stockdale
       Hughes Hangeland Douglas
Reither                                      Briggs
             Diara    Sidwell
                    Ruiz
               Bent  Berbatov
???????                    

the problem i have with any of these formations is i think we have been most threatening when we have attacked using the wings and over lapping (especially at home)... with any formation including Ruiz, Berba and 1 other (a genuine striker) we lose our wingers

Jack Fulham

Stockdale

Riether Hughes Hangeland Briggs

Dejagah/Duff Ruiz Sidwell Kaca

Berbatov

Bent