News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Darren Bent for 8 Mil. Would you take him?

Started by ChesterTheTabby, January 04, 2013, 07:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

How much did we sign AJ for? £12m or £15m?

£8m is a positive steal in comparison. Bent is more of a goalscorer and less of a sicknote.

Oiseau

Too expensive, too old and I'm not sure how he'd fit into our system. We're not even sure what form he's in at the moment. Remember when he fell out of form early last season? He didn't score any goals then.

There are cheaper and younger alternatives to be found abroad. I'd rather we put this money towards a creative central midfielder in all honesty.

The re-sale value from this deal is likely to be quite low because of his age. This isn't a worthy investment, especially if we have to bench Berbatov to play him.

Lighthouse

But what makes us think we are going to spend anything close to this for anybody?

Besides does he fit into Jols formations?

Would love Fulham to buy a striker but far from sure Bent at 8 million is the one or even likely.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

This whole thing makes me laugh.
Rhodes had scored goals for fun, but was not wanted because he was unproven at this level and would have bneen £8M
Bent is a proven season in season out goalscorer and still people would not pay 8 for him.

You go and buy cheaper from abroad they are unproven as well and take 6-12 months to get used to the lge.

With berbatov up top its like 6 midfielders, either Jol buys an out & out striker or he will have to change systems because Berbatov does not stay up front.

TonyGilroy

The big question is why his career has gone so badly wrong at Villa. The answer to that determines whether he would be worth having.

The price is for the clubs, player and agents to thrash out. 

CurryForMario

I think £8 million is a bit too much. I'd rather see us get 2-3 quality midfielders. We'll quite well of the striking department.
He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

Holders

Spot on...in the light of what happened at Villa.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Bryanthebroom

He'd want 1st team football and since you can't fit Berbs, Bryan and Bent all into the first starting eleven - that's a no from me.

Whether he floats too deep or not Berbs is our preferred no. 9 and we have plenty of backup in that position. I guarantee though that Jol will be looking for a back-up second striker as Bryan is our only no. 10 and Jol doesn't like being forced to play Berba there when he's out injured. Someone young (and Brazilian) like Baptistao to provide a bit of competition in that position would be perfect.

Holders

As I've been saying, cover for Ruiz is a priority after the departure of the two Dems. When he's injured we are exposed. That, and a Murph replacement of course.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Julius Geezer

Quote from: TonyGilroy on January 05, 2013, 10:51:51 AM

The big question is why his career has gone so badly wrong at Villa. The answer to that determines whether he would be worth having.

I think it's down to the unrest at Villa in recent times.

When he first signed for Villa they had potential and what looked like an excellent up and coming team.

They sold Young, Milner, Downing and Barry. Petrov had to retire.

The management was changed.

None of those players were replaced.

I think the club as a whole lost it's direction.

Being the 'star' player out on his own and one of the only senior players, I think Bent became disillusioned and thus unhappy.

If we were to get him I am certain he would be a hit. He came on today and got a vital goal for Villa. Get Bent fit and he's a top player.

Bradstow

Yes - what the hell are they waiting for?

And Huddlestone!
Don't speak wisdom into the ears of fools.

EJL

Come on, this is Fulham we're talking about, for Christ's sake. We'll go cheaper than that  086.gif

JHunter_Fulham4Life

Oh, HELL yes! Put him and Berbatov up top and let Ruiz keep feeding them. Works for me!  :clap_hands: