Nth Degree

The 2013 FIFA / FIFPro World XI:
Goalkeeper: Iker Casillas
Defenders: Dani Alves, Gerard Pique, Sergio Ramos, Marcelo
Midfielders: Xabi Alonso, Xavi Hernandez, Andres Iniesta
Forwards: Lionel Messi, Radomel Falcao, Cristiano Ronaldo
Twitter: @OSmithFFC

zzamora

Thats because the Spanish league is quite weak, so the better players stand out.

For me, there are much better fullbacks and a player better than Xabi Alonso that are not in that team.

EJL

Cannot believe there isn't one Premier League player in there. Pique being in there is ridiculous.

Mr_Moon

Would have Pirlo and Chiellini in that team for starters, potentially Buffon too.

How Guardiola was shortlisted for Manager of the Year is beyond me. Joke.

sipwell

I find their selection a bit doubtful. Ibrahimovic is singlehandedly leading PSG to the title; Kompany has had a massive season for City last year. Perhaps the jury only speaks Spanish?
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

CurryForMario

He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

Nth Degree

From the start of the 2011/12 season to the present day in their respective leagues: -

Barcelona conceded 48 goals
Real Madrid conceded 50 goals

Man City conceded 48 goals
Man United conceded 61 goals

Nth Degree

As this is the Ballon D'or themed thread I will add in the adjudged goal of the year FIFA Puskas Award FINALIST: Miroslav Stoch

FIFA Puskás Award 2012 HD | Official Nominees | Goal Of The Year

MJG

Downing did not wish to be included so withdrew from voting.

fulhamben

messi won the player of the year, which is amazing when he helped barcelona to zero trophies. and before you say he scored lots of goals, so did henrik larsson when he played for the other two team league and he never got  sniff
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

PokerMatt

Quote from: fulhamben on January 07, 2013, 07:10:23 PM
messi won the player of the year, which is amazing when he helped barcelona to zero trophies. and before you say he scored lots of goals, so did henrik larsson when he played for the other two team league and he never got  sniff

Lots of goals? He got NINETY-ONE in a single year.

And you can't seriously be comparing La Liga to the SPL can you? I make it four teams that have won it since 2000, same as the PL.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

sipwell

messi won the player of the year, which is amazing when he helped barcelona to zero trophies. and before you say he scored lots of goals, so did henrik larsson when he played for the other two team league and he never got  sniff

It was not like he scored 50 goals in the competition, 14 in 11 CL games (in which he reached the semis)...
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Mr_Moon

fp.gif

PokerMatt

The above said, I still question Marcelo at left-back, would put Kompany ahead of Ramos and would consider RVP, Ibra and maybe even Cavani to battle Falcao for that spot. Probably give it to RVP in fairness.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

God The Mechanic

He actually did win a trophy.

He scored more goals and generally played better than Ronaldo did in the year.  Single players don't win leagues or competitions any more, so just going off trophies alone in determining the best player is foolish.  Stylistically (in my opinion) Messi is better than Ronaldo, as is Iniesta (granted Iniesta will never score as many goals as the other two, but his other play is stunning).  Barca suffered from having crucial injuries at key times last year which didn't help, and Real deservedly won the league.  Equally, Messi deservedly won the Balon d'Or.

TommyBarrs

Premiership is the hardest league in the world by a mile ! no by a few miles ! i would love to see Messi play against west ham or stoke on a Tuesday night pissing down of rain. Spanish league is piss poor. the Italy is piss poor. way to easy. so slow boring to love ! i would rather watch Championship and im not even kipping you. ( Berbatov where is he ? ) haha

zzamora

Quote from: TommyBarrs on January 07, 2013, 07:24:53 PM
Premiership is the hardest league in the world by a mile ! no by a few miles ! i would love to see Messi play against west ham or stoke on a Tuesday night pissing down of rain. Spanish league is piss poor. the Italy is piss poor. way to easy. so slow boring to fcuk ! i would rather watch Championship and im not even kipping you. ( Berbatov where is he ? ) haha

Ooooh, Cliché.

Italy actually have a very good league. It is much more technical and relies much more on tactics than the PL. Does that make it a worse league? Only slightly.

Football isn't actually boring in Spain or Italy. It's still very exciting and interesting, just in different ways. Bit harder to appreciate than the fast paced PL I suppose.

God The Mechanic

Messi has done it against the best teams England has produced, why the hell do people doubt he'd be able to do it against the scrub teams of the league?  Seriously, it's staggering.

And to suggest rain doesn't happen in Spain, or teams don't try and kick seventy shades of crap out of him over there is equally ludicrous.  Tackles over there are often significantly worse and more reckless than ones over here, yet he wriggles out of them and/or bounces back up again just to dribble past 43 more players.

As for the Spanish league being so poor, how have they produced a team that has won the last 3 international tournaments?