watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Squad depth

Started by Matt_Keen, January 07, 2013, 07:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt_Keen

Just been thinking about how everyone, myself included, criticises, or has criticised our squad depth in the past and I've come to a conclusion.

It's not that bad.

I'll break our squad, exluding our countless youth prospects into 3 different groups, 1st team, back up and 'fringe', it will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks regarding this.

1st team

Schwarzer
Riether
Hughes
Hangeland
Riise
Diarra
Sidwell
Kacaniklic
Duff
Ruiz
Berbatov

Back up

Stockdale
Kelly
Baird
Senderos
Rodallega
Petric
Dejagah
Karagounis
Frei
Briggs
Davies
Richardson

Fringe

Somogyi
Etheridge
David
Kasami
Trotta

These are all listed (With the exception of Chris David, who's not listed at all) as '1st team' players.

I know we could do with strengthening in certain areas, but I think due to our injuries and suspensions, we haven't fielded a full strength 11 and bench, probably all season. I'm convinced that with everyone fit, the only way is up!

So, am I just blindly optimistic?

Berserker

I agree it looks a strong squad when analysed, makes you wonder why we struggled so much with our last lot of injuries. Even last Saturday i felt we were lacking something
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

JackyFulham90

When everyone is fit we have a top 10 quality squad but we have been quite unlucky with injuries this season

Matt_Keen

I think with 1 or 2 1st team players out through suspension or injury we're ok with our back up players, it's when we have 4/5 out and have to rely on back up players that we're in trouble, but then again, other than City, United and Chelsea, I think everyone's in the same boat - We've just been the unlucky ones this term.

JackyFulham90

We certainly have been unlucky this season with injuries, hopefully 2nd half of the season we will be luckier but Karagounis has to be a starter in our strongest team atm

CurryForMario

I think it's mainly the fact the players haven't played with each other. I think the team needs time to gel, and Jol needs to find his best XI.
He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

Lighthouse

Said all season that our squad looks very shallow. Take a few players out through injury etc and we are poor in depth up front and central midfield and right back and central defence. Still have said that from the very beginning of the season.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

RidgeRider

I've contended all along it is the deepest team we've had, thing is we've had so many important players out all at the same time, and of course we were gutted in one position so, so it makes us seem shallower than we actually are as well.

Hazey

The last couple of seasons with Moose and Dempsey hitting their straps probably made us look a bit more creative than we had been before and are currently.  Losing them both and Murphy, who could put through a world class ball has left us a bit biege in the middle of the park.
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

Snibbo

But some of those 1st team players aren't what they used to be: Hangeland, Schwarzer, Baird, Riise for example.

RidgeRider

Quote from: Snibbo on January 08, 2013, 03:41:12 AM
But some of those 1st team players aren't what they used to be: Hangeland, Schwarzer, Baird, Riise for example.

Agreed. You make an excellent point Mr. Snibbo. I know I may be 'splitting hairs' but that to me is the real issue...quality due to aging starters... it's not depth we lack. We lack some quality now that our senior players are well....senior.

RaySmith

We have some top players,  some sound pros, and good young players with potential - but  the main reason the top players are with us is their age.

Also, all the other Prem teams have quality players, good pros and youngsters too.

There are also injuries to key players, as said, and a lot of new players and a relatively new manager - so we haven't always gelled, though sometimes we have with some great results, but consistency is a problem.

Berserker

Older players, more likelihood of injuries i suppose.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

SG

Quote from: Berserker on January 08, 2013, 08:01:07 AM
Older players, more likelihood of injuries i suppose.
And a longer recovery time from those injuries to compound the problem

SG

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 07, 2013, 11:40:44 PM
Said all season that our squad looks very shallow. Take a few players out through injury etc and we are poor in depth up front and central midfield and right back and central defence. Still have said that from the very beginning of the season.

Surely though we will always have a relatively shallow squad. Players generally considered to be automatic premiership first team players are not going to be happy sitting on the bench at Fulham week in week out whereas they would be and are, at the big 6/7 clubs. Therefore a player injury almost automatically is going to weaken our team. It wouldnt matter too much if it were one player but when we have 4/5 out then we are seriously hit. This really applies to most of the rest of the division. We desperately need these youngsters who are good enough to come through as they are more likely to bide their time on the bench awaiting their chance.

Lighthouse

Quote from: SG on January 08, 2013, 08:11:50 AM
Quote from: Lighthouse on January 07, 2013, 11:40:44 PM

Surely though we will always have a relatively shallow squad. Players generally considered to be automatic premiership first team players are not going to be happy sitting on the bench at Fulham week in week out whereas they would be and are, at the big 6/7 clubs. Therefore a player injury almost automatically is going to weaken our team. It wouldnt matter too much if it were one player but when we have 4/5 out then we are seriously hit. This really applies to most of the rest of the division. We desperately need these youngsters who are good enough to come through as they are more likely to bide their time on the bench awaiting their chance.

Very true but there has rarely been a time when a loss of two players would wreck our season
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope