more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Now that Nelsen is to leave Q P R

Started by Only Me, January 23, 2013, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FulhamMic

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 23, 2013, 01:14:58 PM
If a player wants to stay he will stay. The money they are paid is very high. If he is happy a cut in wages will not matter to these people. Same with the length of contract. Chris Coleman made the point many years ago that Prem Players are not looking for higher wages or security of contract. The agents are. But if Brede or any other player wanted to stay they would.  

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. The only thing I can do is assume it's meant as irony or sarcasm and take it as that 064.gif

TonyGilroy

Quote from: FFC1987 on January 23, 2013, 01:19:36 PM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on January 23, 2013, 12:45:20 PM

He can go where he likes in the summer but this month he only leaves if we agree.

Obviously QPR might offer us money we don't want to refuse but it's hard to believe that the club would let him go without bringing in a replacement.

Dembele was different because, we are told, the release clause meant we had no choice.

What about Dempsey, was that different too?

There was the issue of Dempsey's alleged attitude but notwithstanding that I think we thought we had his role covered with Ruiz and the new arrivals.

Rupert

Quote from: FulhamMic on January 23, 2013, 01:30:56 PM

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read.

You need to read this board more often then.  086.gif
We've had more than a few humdingers on here, in the recent past too.

Actually, there is a point to this, Brede himself has been quoted as saying that the level of wages was ridiculous (or it might have been obscene), so in his case at least it may not be wages that are the sticking point.

Has anyone considered that he might be thinking of heading home, to finish his career in the top flight in Norway?
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Lighthouse

Quote from: FulhamMic on January 23, 2013, 01:30:56 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on January 23, 2013, 01:14:58 PM
If a player wants to stay he will stay. The money they are paid is very high. If he is happy a cut in wages will not matter to these people. Same with the length of contract. Chris Coleman made the point many years ago that Prem Players are not looking for higher wages or security of contract. The agents are. But if Brede or any other player wanted to stay they would.  

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read. The only thing I can do is assume it's meant as irony or sarcasm and take it as that 064.gif

I think you make a good point here and in a very clear and concise way.

That is what irony and sarcasm looks like so stop playing to the gallery and make your point without insulting Chris Coleman.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

rusty shackleford

Quote from: FulhamMic on January 23, 2013, 12:28:56 PM
Quote from: rusty shackleford on January 23, 2013, 12:24:14 PM
but lets face it, they are all mercenaries.

Nope. Refuse to accept this. There are still some real professionals left in the game, some true and proper gentleman. I honestly believe Brede is one of those.

Im not saying Brede is a mercenary money-wise, what i mean is that if we arent offering him whatever he wants (playing time, more than 1 year, assurances about incoming players or whatever) and QPR were, he would move there. I believe it wouldnt cost him a thought.

FulhamMic

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 23, 2013, 02:24:41 PM
That is what irony and sarcasm looks like so stop playing to the gallery and make your point without insulting Chris Coleman.

Yeah because money played absolutely no part in Coleman's decision to leave a Premier League club who only two seasons before were champions and drop to a CASH RICH league two club, backed by a multi-millionaire owner. Why Fulham over any other club in league two, or league one, or the championship for that matter? All of whom I'm sure would have welcomed him with open arms.

Oh right, yeah, we were the only club who could afford to pay his wages fp.gif

Don't make me laugh!

By the way, I'm not criticising Coleman or disregarding the contribution he made during his tenure at Fulham. I'm simply questioning the motives that drove him to Fulham in the first place.

TonyGilroy

Maybe but at point of signing Coleman he'd been out injured for some time.

I've no doubt he was paid Premier League money of course but not necessarily a premium on that. The MAF/Keegan project must have appealed.

jmh

Quote from: Bedford White on January 23, 2013, 01:01:47 PM
Brede is one of our few star players, it'd take some serious dollars to replace him. If QPR want him we should take them to the cleaners minimum £8m/£9m
You're not going to get that kind of money for him with his contract due to expire in a few months and no extension signed.

Lighthouse

Quote from: FulhamMic on January 23, 2013, 02:37:00 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on January 23, 2013, 02:24:41 PM

Yeah because money played absolutely no part in Coleman's decision to leave a Premier League club who only two seasons before were champions and drop to a CASH RICH league two club, backed by a multi-millionaire owner. Why Fulham over any other club in league two, or league one, or the championship for that matter? All of whom I'm sure would have welcomed him with open arms.

Oh right, yeah, we were the only club who could afford to pay his wages fp.gif

Don't make me laugh!

By the way, I'm not criticising Coleman or disregarding the contribution he made during his tenure at Fulham. I'm simply questioning the motives that drove him to Fulham in the first place.

Once again you just ignore the original post. IF A PLAYER WANTED TO STAY HE WOULD. So that is the end of it. IF A PLAYER WANTS TO GO TO ANOTHER CLUB TO MAKE MORE MONEY HE WOULD. Which is the point you make. Before you go off another tangent players do stay with clubs at lower wages IF THEY WANT TO STAY. Which was the point of what was written. Not everybody chases the money if they are happy.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FulhamMic

Quote from: Lighthouse on January 23, 2013, 03:21:53 PM
Once again you just ignore the original post. IF A PLAYER WANTED TO STAY HE WOULD. So that is the end of it. IF A PLAYER WANTS TO GO TO ANOTHER CLUB TO MAKE MORE MONEY HE WOULD. Which is the point you make. Before you go off another tangent players do stay with clubs at lower wages IF THEY WANT TO STAY. Which was the point of what was written. Not everybody chases the money if they are happy.

We'll have to agree to disagree over your incredibly naive opinion of what influences a player's decision to stay or move. For sure, happiness will play it's part, but it'll be a relatively small part. Not every player is Matt Le Tissier.

grandad

Hangeland is waiting to see if a big 4 club comes a looking, otherwise he will just see out his contract & leave for free in the summer. If a big club comes in the next 2 weeks I would say 15 mil now in cash or wait till the end of the season. We need him until at least the end of this season, but preferably longer.
Where there's a will there's a wife

HatterDon

Quote from: FulhamMic on January 23, 2013, 12:05:55 PM
Won't happen. Even if he wants to leave, he'll have far too much respect for the club to move to QPR. He's no mercenary like Zamora and Johnson.

Well, since a mercenary is someone who is paid to do what he does, I think you'd be hard put to find ANYONE in professional sport who isn't a mercenary.

And, if Brede wanted to leave, why not to another club in London. It would save him from disrupting his family -- you know, the one he plays football to support.

Honestly.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RolandAJ

Quote from: grandad on January 23, 2013, 03:37:59 PM
Hangeland is waiting to see if a big 4 club comes a looking, otherwise he will just see out his contract & leave for free in the summer. If a big club comes in the next 2 weeks I would say 15 mil now in cash or wait till the end of the season. We need him until at least the end of this season, but preferably longer.

Sounds reasonable, but what if the team has already made its CM moves and a big team offers market value (6 or 7 mil)?  Maybe take it and hope better midfield play will make Senderos more comfortable?

I agree with HD.  Professional players play for money.  Fernandes is throwing money around, so why blame an older player for cashing in before heading home to a lower paying league.

Roland
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."  Milan Kundera

Or does that not count because it doesn't fit your grouch-centric opinion?

EJL

Quote from: FulhamMic on January 23, 2013, 12:37:36 PM
Wasn't Tal Ben Haim signed as Nelsen's replacement?
If I were one of their fans I'd bloody well hope not.

Edit: was < were

FulhamMic

Quote from: HatterDon on January 23, 2013, 05:05:25 PM
Well, since a mercenary is someone who is paid to do what he does

mer·ce·nar·y

1. Motivated solely by a desire for monetary or material gain

Under your definition anyone who had a job would be considered a mercenary! Honestly  fp.gif

TonyGilroy

Aren't all of us who are working mercenaries?

If offered more money we might move jobs but other factors will come into play - where to live, the amount of extra money, how pleasant the new job seems in comparison to the old, friendships, loyalty, security, unhappiness with present firm, promotion prospects etc.

I don't see why footballers are different.

mangoputney

I reckon he will become a hoop & board meltdown
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

FulhamMic

Quote from: TonyGilroy on January 24, 2013, 08:54:32 AM
Aren't all of us who are working mercenaries?

If offered more money we might move jobs but other factors will come into play - where to live, the amount of extra money, how pleasant the new job seems in comparison to the old, friendships, loyalty, security, unhappiness with present firm, promotion prospects etc.

I don't see why footballers are different.

You pretty much answered your own question.

Mercenaries are motivated solely by money (as per the dictionary's definition above). You've stated other factors would come into play such as where you live, friendships, loyalty etc. if you were offered another job with more money, meaning you aren't driven solely by money, but would allow other factors to influence your decision.

The most recent example of a mercenary in football would be Bruno Cesar and his move to Al-Ahli. He refutes being a mercenary, yet admits he moved purely for financial gain and that it'll clearly impact his chances of playing for the national team and his own personal goals for his career http://www.sambafoot.com/en/news/42000_bruno_cesar_admits_leaving_benfica_to_join_al-ahli_for_financial_gain.html

TonyGilroy

The definition of "mercenaries" is one thing but my main point is that footballers are probably no different to the rest of us.

Money matters but for most there are other factors as well in deciding whether to change jobs.

Rupert

My definition of mercenary was what was seen on screen in "The Wild Geese", which probably indicates that I need to get out more.

I just can't picture Brede Hangeland wearing a military beret and carrying an assault rifle. I would mention a helmet, sword and shield, but that would only get Berserker all excited and going down the Viking path again, so best not.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.