watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Am I alone in this?

Started by HatterDon, January 27, 2013, 11:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

After the Liverpool away match, I told my mate Matt that the last time I'd seen such a dispirited display by a Fulham side was the Newcastle United home match that finally got Sanchez fired. He told me that it was even worse at QPR the week before.

Since that time, I have seen display after display in that same vein. The lifeless, listless, directionless performances seem never to end. Is it only me that thinks that we're playing worse under Jol than we did under Sanchez -- even though our squad is much more talented than his was?

And, if it isn't only me, how many "Sanchez's last match" performances are we going to see before Jol is booted?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

ron

Quote from: HatterDon on January 27, 2013, 11:36:06 PM
After the Liverpool away match, I told my mate Matt that the last time I'd seen such a dispirited display by a Fulham side was the Newcastle United home match that finally got Sanchez fired. He told me that it was even worse at QPR the week before.

Since that time, I have seen display after display in that same vein. The lifeless, listless, directionless performances seem never to end. Is it only me that thinks that we're playing worse under Jol than we did under Sanchez -- even though our squad is much more talented than his was?

And, if it isn't only me, how many "Sanchez's last match" performances are we going to see before Jol is booted?

You are not alone HD.

RidgeRider

I see no way back for Jol with these players. They don't play for him and are just going through the motions at this point. He lost them shortly after Berbatov got here and he won't survive, he can't actually. Many of these players have had far more success at this club, even last season, and didn't suddenly all become 'past it'....it's the manager....not the players.

Oh sure, he was given a short deck by losing Dempsey and Dembele but as a professional manager, he should have found a way to get these players to play with passion and to figure out how to get points, even if they lost some quality. He has failed to do this and no excuses are valid anymore. They won't play for him....fair or unfair....he needs to go. Now.

Lighthouse

Needless to say, but I will say it anyway. The club didn't want any new manager coming in for the transfer window.  They would not accept the constraints. Jol is hanging on but has no real idea what to do and hasn't since the Sunderland game. His team now either disregard everything he says or are just not capable of delivering.

So unless the club bring in a manager who can work with what he has. Jol will continue to hang on and leave for a better job at the end of the season.

Watching the club I love playing the sort of football over the last sixteen odd games has been very sad.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Humbled

Quote from: ron on January 27, 2013, 11:41:34 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on January 27, 2013, 11:36:06 PM

You are not alone HD.

is that the statue i can hear singing???

tomcolemanfry

I've been sitting on the 'JOL OUT' fence for a while now, and I'm starting to tip towards OUT rather than IN.
He seems to have lost the dressing room, he's putting too much faith in Berbatov that isn't being rewarded an ounce, and the bloke looks clueless. Ever since we lost to Sunderland at home back in November, everything has been very dis-jointed.

Scrumpy

Absolutely agree. You're not alone.

I have seen it again and again over the years. There is a tipping point after which you know the Manager is doomed. I can't pinpoint the exact time, but Jol has passed it I'm afraid.

I don't think we'll beat West Ham. I think we will lose to Utd. I don't think we'll beat Norwich. Around about then, Jol will be replaced. It makes me a bit sad.
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

chiefo

Its now obvious you are not alone . The tipping point for me was rangers. At the time I couldn't remember such a dispirited display against our locals and then to follow that with a " lets lay down "performance at Liverpool. But it didn't end there did it, its still bloody going on. The effort Saturday wasn't a one off just because it was Utd, we have seen that level of effort too often in the last few months.

Sad thing is we are in a position where we have to play the hand we're dealt with and somehow pull out some tricks. Here's hoping.

The Bronsons

I think Fulham fans on the whole are fair. We don't expect to win all the time, or even half the time, or even a third of the time. But we do expect the team to try hard, and work hard, and play as well as they can on the day.

I look at this team and see less from the whole than each person is individually capable of doing. The exceptions are Reither and... that's it. A failure of organisation and motivation like that has to be a fault at a team level. So it's Jol's fault.

The best scenario is we sneak a couple of lucky wins, scrape through to the end of the season, Jol goes off to Germany in May and we get someone in who can renew the team and inspire some enthusiasm and belief. Adkins maybe? - or more likely someone I've never heard of who the board has been keeping an eye on.

Worst case is we keep Jol and go down. Sacking Jol now is not quite worst case, but it's a desperate gamble. If we do get rid of him (and we might), let's all cross fingers that the new guy hits the ground running, or we are down.

Trouble is we aren't in enough trouble yet for the decision to be easy.

YankeeJim

If Jol has lost the locker room as many think, him getting the sack would have to inspire the players since they would be rif of their burdon and would have to extend themselves to impress a new gaffer. Even Reither and the ancient one looked bored yesterday.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

hn4fulham

You're definitely not alone! I've been feeling the same way for a long time now. While not posting a lot, I have posted a few times about my thoughts.

I just don't know if sacking Jol at this stage is going to be the better option as compared to bringing in help.  If there is a good replacement option, sure but choices are slim. Options would probably look better after the end of this season.

The only somewhat of a good thing happening for us this season is there are quite a few poor teams in the bottom. With our current form, we would have been relegated in prior seasons...this season, we'll just have to see how everything shakes out.

We badly need someone to come in to help Jol out tho.  Not player signings, help for Jol in coaching and management!

west kowloon white

As one who has been firmly in the Jol camp am now losing faith-not sure about this cliche of "losing the dressing room"-probably rubbish-but next three games critical,can only see a point-changes needed-continuity now recipe for relegation-far from convinced by the the "Adkins"solution however-good for lower league promotions, but can't think of an available option apart from a radical Murphy/Clark ticket.
You are not alone.

ffc73

There seems to be a togetherness of sorts on this board.  We may have different viewpoints but there is a collective passion and desire for the team we support to show the same characteristics

The one that looks more alone and out of touch after every game is Jol

I would suggest that if we don't get players in this week and/or points from the next 3-games a managerial change could come after the Norwich game as there is a fortnight break until Stoke

TonyGilroy

What we're seeing clearly isn't good enough.

A win against West Ham - however achieved - lifts the pressure massively but West Ham won't lay down. We can be better than them but need to at least match their effort and if the players aren't up for that match then we truly are f***ed.

By weekend we'll know how the squad has been strengthened, if at all.

If things look no better then I can think of no good reason for sticking with Jol. I'd rather have a Souness or Curbishley on a short term contract tasked with imparting some passion maybe by simply not being Jol.

If I was sacking Jol though it would be in the knowledge that we are probably going down and I wouldn't saddle the club with a has been manager on a two or three year contract. If whoever came in kept us up then that's different but it would have to be a more impressive effort than Sanchez managed.

My gut feeling is that Jol is toast and so are we.

Roberty

I am thankful that we have so many people on this message board who are insiders and that they keep us so well informed about all the operational matters that the club and it's management would like to keep secret. It is so refreshing to have this open window on our club and to know that we are not being kept in the dark in the same way as supports of other clubs are.

I was a little upset that we did not learn about Frimpong until after the event but I presume that this was just a blip in the otherwise excellent information stream we have.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

Riverside

The team has more than enough skill to stay up.

The reason we are struggling is lack of EFFORT and belief
Jol has to take responsibility for this . As does the captain as do the players.

With effort will come results will come belief.

Everyone has to know how important West Ham is . It would be unforgivable if we do not fight for 90+ minutes .

Burt

As most of you will know by now, I have very much been in the pro-Jol camp, for the following reasons:
1. He has a good track record.
2. I assumed that his footballing philosophy would be in tune with what we want to see.
3. His stated aim was to introduce new blood and lower the age of the squad.
4. He wasn't Sparky.
5. Or Sanchez.
6. I believe in the long term play i.e. giving people time to prove themselves, rather than making "knee jerk reaction" decisions.
7. I have seen us play in all 4 divisions, and have seen much worse situations than the one we are currently in.

I still stand by my position, but do admit to getting increasingly nervous. Most teams have a bad run of form, we have in the past, and this in itself, at face value, is perhaps to be expected from time to time.

The issue is that there is no fight, spirit or commitment. Loftus Road was probably the worst match I have seen us play in the premier league. A throwback to our lower division days, the difference being that we had a worse squad in those days so it was to be expected. With the team we have it was (is) really unacceptable. And what is also unacceptable is that with some rare exceptions (Swansea, WBA) the last 12 matches or so have been characterised by a lack of urgency and passion.

Whilst I do believe that the players have to take some responsibility for what they do on the pitch, and we should be seeing more visible leadership from our club captain, there comes a time when the gaffer also has to step up to the mark to stop such rot and my worry is that it just isn't happening. I don't know why, and it would be pure speculation to come up with reasons, so I won't bother doing so.

WHU will be a good test. It has to be seen as a "must win" match. It is the sort of game we have to win if we are to ease away from the drop zone, and towards the top half. It is a game that the players should go in to with a winning mentality, as WHU are on a run as bad as ours, and must be viewed as there for the taking.

If I see another gutless performance, then I have to say that my pro-Jol stance will be getting somewhat strained...

COYW

epsomraver

I totally agree with the comments on here, but what I find interesting is that the Jol out lot as we are labelled seem to be the more senior supporters whilst the Jol in lot are the younger generation, if this is true is it because we can see the writing on the wall clearer as we have all been there so many times before?

Boggers

Stability is the key for success at any club, and so up til now I have very much been 'Jol in'. But it's clear that he's lost the dressing room and if we lose on Wednesday he has to go. If he does go, I have no idea who we will get - hopefully a Hodgson-esque appointment out of nowhere.

I also believe it was Berbatov that Jol's undoing. Such a shame because it could have worked so well.
"I never comment on referees and I'm not about to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat" - Ron Atkinson

http://alrightbeav.wordpress.com/

@shutuposhea

jarv

You are not alone. I was unhappy about his appointment and am more unhappy now. The writing was on the wall back in the games v. Sunderland, Southampton and reading. Warning bells should have been ringing all over the club.

The loss of the 2 dems has something to do with it, but only a small piece. They wouldn't save us now. In my opinion, the loss of Murphy was more important. Leadership is what is clearly missing, on and off the pitch.