watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jack Butland

Started by sunburywhite, January 30, 2013, 10:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburywhite

Birmingham goalkeeper Jack Butland has turned down the chance of talks with Chelsea after the Stamford Bridge club had a £3.5m bid accepted. Butland wants to play regular football, according to his agent Gary Mellor.

Has to be value at 3.5m and we can offer him first team football
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

shnlwswlkr

I read it was only a £3m offer they accepted, I think we should go in for him. He's a clever boy turning down Chelsea, we could offer him first team football, it would be good for us, for him and for the England national team.
Twitter - @shnlwswlkr

jelmo

The best we could offer Birmingham is to get him on loan then instantly loan him back.

But it has to be said that my respect for Butland has gone up a lot. Realises that there is no point just sitting around on a bench or being loaned out to championship clubs every now and then. Actually wants to get better and is willing to sacrifice the cash.

Northern Cottager

Very smart move from him. About time we saw an up and coming footballer using their brains and thinking about their own career rather than their pockets.

fulhamking

If Butland does not arrive here, that only means that Stekelenburg is on his way. If neither of those 2 come in this window we better  093.gif

Burt

Good to see a footballer with their head screwed on correctly.

cottage cheese

I reckon we wont be getting a keeper. I think Mark has it till the summer and then we will buy someone then. We would have got one in by now if that was a position we needed filling.

Burt

Or maybe the club will be putting their faith in Stockdale after all?

Ordar

Good to see the lad has sense. For me we have to sign either him or Stekelenberg in this window, or risk losing both in the summer. If its 3-3.5m for Butland and 5m for Stekelenberg, its a bargain either way for a keeper that could last us 10 years.

And no Stockdale isnt good enough

itombomb

The big thing with Butland is that if he is actually very good, then a big side would be in for him after a couple of years for a lot of money. Which is good in that we make a substantial profit, but we'd have to then buy another keeper.

Stekelenberg wouldn't have that same potential value, but he would be more likely to be our keeper for a long time.

EJL

He would have to be the thickest person in the world to say yes to Chelsea:

- Absolutely shambolic at the moment; never know who their manager is going to be.
- Two world class keepers on their books already. Cech is there and will probably go on for another couple of years before moving on and Courtois will be THE goalkeeper of the next 10+ years.

Delboy

We won't get a better keeper for the money, with an outstanding prospect of large sell-on value. I'm surprised we haven't snapped Brums hand off.

Roberty

Quote from: Delboy on January 30, 2013, 01:46:32 PM
We won't get a better keeper for the money, with an outstanding prospect of large sell-on value. I'm surprised we haven't snapped Brums hand off.

I would be surprised if we were not playing hard-ball and waiting for the price to go down further.
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

EJL

Quote from: Roberty on January 30, 2013, 01:51:12 PM
Quote from: Delboy on January 30, 2013, 01:46:32 PM

I would be surprised if we were not playing hard-ball and waiting for the price to go down further.
Unfortunately we have no one like Bjorne Helge Riise or Rafik Halliche to chuck in as sweeteners...

Delboy

Surely we have £3.5 mill available for a top class, young, English keeper.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: itombomb on January 30, 2013, 11:55:48 AM
The big thing with Butland is that if he is actually very good, then a big side would be in for him after a couple of years for a lot of money. Which is good in that we make a substantial profit, but we'd have to then buy another keeper.

Stekelenberg wouldn't have that same potential value, but he would be more likely to be our keeper for a long time.

Man Utd came in for vd Sar after a few years at Fulham, having joined from Italian football when he was around 30 ;)

TheManOnTheBus

Perhaps he doesn't want to come?

jmh

Maybe we were never actually after him and it was just media speculation.

leonffc

Ian Danter, TalkSport journo and Brum fan was interviewed earlier and he was saying that of the various clubs after him Fulham would be the best fit for him considering Schwartzers age etc.
He also said that whilst he is good, he does make mistakes as all young keepers do - another reason that a big club would be the wrong move for him as they are highlighted more - so be warned that if he does come we are not getting the finished article.

Bedford White

Stoke are in for him with a bid of a bit under £4m (£3.8m maybe)? Perhaps we will have a go at signing him but it'll take at least £4m plus loaning him back to Brum for the treat of this season.