watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Danny Murphy

Started by PokerMatt, February 12, 2013, 10:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PokerMatt

I was at the Amex tonight for work and watched Brighton v Blackburn. Thought some might be interested in how our former skipper is getting on.

He's still typical murph. Sitting in front of the back four his passing was excellent, a really good anchor for the midfield as he was for us.

He also got booked for a classic Murphy 'tackle'. A horrible late lunge and could have been off for another foul later on.

But what really stood out for me was his set piece delivery. I took this for granted when we had him, but from a dead ball he's different class. Blackburn somehow drew tonight and took the lead when Murphy planted a corner right on Dann's head on the edge of the six yard box. It got me thinking how rarely we see such an accurate corner any more.

Obviously he's moved on but just thought I'd share that he still looks to be the same old Danny. He even lasted the 90.

His opposite number for Brighton, Liam Bridcutt, now he looks a player. Would love to see us get someone like him in.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Burt

I always consoled myself with the thought that we had seen the best of him.

Perhaps we have.

But we do miss someone of his stature and quality.

premFlem

keeping Danny for this one last season would have saved us a lot of grief, but thats hindsight I suppose.
You are my Fulham, My only Fulham,
You make me happy, When skies are grey,
You'll never know just, How much I love you,
So please don't take,My Fulham...Away

PokerMatt

I'm not sure how best to describe it other than you know he's been in the game.

He never shirks away, he's constantly involved whether it's ticking the possession over or putting himself about. And always talking to his teammates.

If anything I think we miss what he brings to the armband more than the other aspects of his game.

Hindsight, yes, but I enjoyed watching him again. The amount of abuse he gets from opponents' fans says a lot about his ability as well.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

Senior Supporter

Quote from: premFlem on February 12, 2013, 10:42:00 PM
keeping Danny for this one last season would have saved us a lot of grief, but thats hindsight I suppose.

The reports are that we did not have that option. We offered a year, without the promise of being a starter, but Danny wanted two years.

St Eve

We should have offered him the 2 years. At 40k a week that is 4million. If he only lasted a year we lose 2 million. Or put another way about what we paid for Richardsson or Senderos or Kasami excluding their salary

Logicalman

The issue isn't anything to do with his skills, but his ability to keep up with the Prem of today. He is slowing down, dramatically over the last 2 seasons with us, and the 'late tackles' for which he used to (and apparently still does) get booked, are a stark indication of that.

If we could get his skills in a younger body, then I doubt we would be able to hold onto him, so it's always a double-edged sword.

Good luck to him though.

A Humble Man

He had been a good servant for us but for a least the last six months before he left he was not the player he was and went just at the right time.  Losing Moussa on the last day of the transfer window, who was proving a more than adequate replacement, was what hit us badly, not losing Danny.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

St Eve

Quote from: A Humble Man on February 13, 2013, 12:12:04 PM
He had been a good servant for us but for a least the last six months before he left he was not the player he was and went just at the right time.  Losing Moussa on the last day of the transfer window, who was proving a more than adequate replacement, was what hit us badly, not losing Danny.
No question, but holding on to Danny would have helped in the short term

filham

Quote from: A Humble Man on February 13, 2013, 12:12:04 PM
We lost a whole midfield , Murphy, Dembele, Dempsey and Etuhu. Any of those players would have been worth a few more points to us this season.

MJG

The decision by Jol not to bring in a center midfield player to replace Murphy was the mistake.
While selling Dembele hit us, the fact is that Jol seemed to be planing on a two man midfield  with Diarra/Dembele/Sidwell as the 3 main players competing for the two places. Even on August 1st we were a player down and Jol/CEO should have targeted a fourth midfielder.

On Sept 1st we were left with Sidwell & Diarra (injury prone, so to expect him to survive a full season was very hopeful) and any other player (Baird) who may have played CM at some stage. To not replace Murphy (with a player, let alone his skill) in the summer was the big error.One he is trying make up now by having too many CM's in the squad and none of them that key creative one, although Emanulson could do a job in CM, but is more a wide player. And no it should not be Ruiz.

Fulhampete

Dembele has never been and will never get anywhere near being as good a player as Murphy. Looks deceive but for an end product give me Danny any day.

Bassey the warrior

It's all well and good to reminisce but in reality Murphy was on the decline. His legs wouldn't be able to maintain the required tempo of the Premier League. The likes of Karagounis, Scholes, Giggs are a rare breed.