more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

In the cold light of day

Started by HatterDon, February 24, 2013, 03:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

and to put things in perspective ...

The victory yesterday was an excellent result, right when we needed it most. I think one win and two draws from our next 11 matches will be enough for the magic 17th, and I think that is eminently doable.

It's appropriate though, I think, to point out that while some may look on the three points as proof that we're a good team, that Jol is finally getting through to his players, others may just as easily and just as accurately look at it as a rare glimmer in an increasingly black season.

The truth is that we have now won 4 of 19 league matches. This record is nearly woeful enough to be called Sanchez-like. We owe this season's survival to a fluky run of good results early in the season. And, regardless of our final position, this season is a step backwards rather than forwards. After four consecutive seasons of progress in squad quality and team performance, this is a reason for concern.

The truth also is that the majority of our experienced players are either on loan, on short-term contracts, or have -- at best -- one decent season left in them. Unlike most of our rivals, we don't have a lot of good solid players in their 20s who could carry us as they mature. The young players who are mooted so regularly on this site have hardly been given more than two or three starts on the trot -- the time necessary to get comfortable as a starter.

The truth also is that our performances are uneven, our style changes from month to month, and our team spirit is so uniformly woeful that posters are reduced to citing goal and win celebrations as proof that the squad really loves our manager. For the first time in several seasons, the future ISN'T so bright that we have to wear shades.

Having said all that, 5 more points should keep us safe for this season, and it's always nice to beat Stoke City Wrestling Club. I just wish that we didn't have to feel so in the dark about what's going to happen if we lose all 10-12 of the players we could easily lose after the final whistle of the season.

Let the opprobrium begin!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

mangoputney

Quote from: HatterDon on February 24, 2013, 03:19:40 PM

The victory yesterday was an excellent result, right when we needed it most. I think one win and two draws from our next 11 matches will be enough for the magic 17th, and I think that is eminently doable.

It's appropriate though, I think, to point out that while some may look on the three points as proof that we're a good team, that Jol is finally getting through to his players, others may just as easily and just as accurately look at it as a rare glimmer in an increasingly black season.

The truth is that we have now won 4 of 19 league matches. This record is nearly woeful enough to be called Sanchez-like. We owe this season's survival to a fluky run of good results early in the season. And, regardless of our final position, this season is a step backwards rather than forwards. After four consecutive seasons of progress in squad quality and team performance, this is a reason for concern.

The truth also is that the majority of our experienced players are either on loan, on short-term contracts, or have -- at best -- one decent season left in them. Unlike most of our rivals, we don't have a lot of good solid players in their 20s who could carry us as they mature. The young players who are mooted so regularly on this site have hardly been given more than two or three starts on the trot -- the time necessary to get comfortable as a starter.

The truth also is that our performances are uneven, our style changes from month to month, and our team spirit is so uniformly woeful that posters are reduced to citing goal and win celebrations as proof that the squad really loves our manager. For the first time in several seasons, the future ISN'T so bright that we have to wear shades.

Having said all that, 5 more points should keep us safe for this season, and it's always nice to beat Stoke City Wrestling Club. I just wish that we didn't have to feel so in the dark about what's going to happen if we lose all 10-12 of the players we could easily lose after the final whistle of the season.

+1 HD
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

TonyGilroy

We had a bad run.

Now we have 11 points from the last 7 games which included games against Man City and United. Yesterday we look balanced, organised and energetic.

I think we've come through a bad patch and will do OK for the rest of the season.

Then there will have to be a serious squad overhaul. No reason to be pessimistic but there's a job to be done.

Jambo

Quote from: HatterDon on February 24, 2013, 03:19:40 PM

Completely disagree.  In a big way too!  I would actually say we are unfortunate not to be in the top ten very comfortably.  Why is it when we win its a fluke?  How about the games like Southampton home and away, reading away, Wigan at home, man utd away man utd at home. are just a few games we deserved more from.  Lucky?  Unlucky we are not higher up for me.
We all see the game differently, FoF has taught me that.

@jambohunt

http://jameshuntbw.blogspot.co.uk/

Jack Fulham

Not sure how those first 12 games can be considered a fluke. If anything, we should of came away from those games with more points.

Enter the Frei

4 wins in 19, how about displaying it as 4 wins in 12 or even 5 wins in 20. Or if your really looking at form 3 wins in 7 since the turn of the year in the league or 7 points from the last 4 games and 2 clean sheets in a row. Stats can be made to say whatever you want them to.

Yes we started well and then went through a bad patch, but I think we've come through it and have put in  good performances over the last 4 games.

I will agree as I think everyone will that we have an ageing squad and this could be seen as another big transfer window for us, but every club goes through transitions and I firmly believe Jol is the right man to build his own squad.

Bassey the warrior

There's a few things I'd like to add. First of all I think the summer transfer window is a huge reason for our problems this season. Not replacing Murphy or Dembele and not getting in a centre back. It's taken a long long time to sort out central defence and central midfield and that's cost us a lot of goals. Hughes is largely past it, Senderos inconsistent (though he's getting better every game) and Hangeland just wasn't happy.

Secondly we lack a natural leader and Jol is not a great motivator. We're finally finding some team spirit, I don't know who's behind that but it's showing big time.

The turning point was signing Karagounis, and Jol has to take an awful lot of credit for this. He was dealt a very bad hand in the summer and he's made amends. The players have finally taken to Jol's tactics and our skill in possession has helped us win games. The manner in which we dominated Stoke and West Ham was very pleasing indeed.

I will say of Jol that he could've done more to motivate the players, he could've shown more flexibility tactically, he should've dropped Ruiz by now and his substitutions are often poor. But I'll also say his willingness to drop other players has been very good for players performances, Riise a case in point, he's been largely very good in the transfer market, he's getting us playing excellent football, he's a very likeable guy and he's more positive away from home.

I'm a little worried he might leave for Schalke but I'm fairly optimistic he'll stay and I think we'll improve continuously. This season was definitely a step backwards overall but that's as much down to the board letting us down as to his tactics.

LordNelson

Quote from: The Moose on February 24, 2013, 04:57:22 PM
There's a few things I'd like to add. First of all I think the summer transfer window is a huge reason for our problems this season. Not replacing Murphy or Dembele and not getting in a centre back. It's taken a long long time to sort out central defence and central midfield and that's cost us a lot of goals. Hughes is largely past it, Senderos inconsistent (though he's getting better every game) and Hangeland just wasn't happy.

Secondly we lack a natural leader and Jol is not a great motivator. We're finally finding some team spirit, I don't know who's behind that but it's showing big time.

The turning point was signing Karagounis, and Jol has to take an awful lot of credit for this. He was dealt a very bad hand in the summer and he's made amends. The players have finally taken to Jol's tactics and our skill in possession has helped us win games. The manner in which we dominated Stoke and West Ham was very pleasing indeed.

I will say of Jol that he could've done more to motivate the players, he could've shown more flexibility tactically, he should've dropped Ruiz by now and his substitutions are often poor. But I'll also say his willingness to drop other players has been very good for players performances, Riise a case in point, he's been largely very good in the transfer market, he's getting us playing excellent football, he's a very likeable guy and he's more positive away from home.

I'm a little worried he might leave for Schalke but I'm fairly optimistic he'll stay and I think we'll improve continuously. This season was definitely a step backwards overall but that's as much down to the board letting us down as to his tactics.

I'd like to add the most glaringly obvious factor in that we lost our most prolific goal scorer in Mr. Dempsey.  For whatever reason, we haven't been able to cope. 

.....................but we beat Norwich 5-0.  :dead horse:
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

McBridefan1

Quote from: LordNelson on February 24, 2013, 05:10:45 PM

I'd like to add the most glaringly obvious factor in that we lost our most prolific goal scorer in Mr. Dempsey.  For whatever reason, we haven't been able to cope. 

I would say his goals are made up for by Berbatov, whatever else I may think of the Berb he is a grand goal scorer. That said I feel he is a liability eslewhere on the pitch and in the club house. Just my opinion though. People complained that demps often looked lazy, but berbs makes demps look like wooney. In basketball we called those guys cherry pickers. That's the berb for me, a cherry picker. Still I always add the caveat that we have been lucky to have some of his timely goals. I don't hate the berb I just expect more from him.

Bassey the warrior

I'd like to add the most glaringly obvious factor in that we lost our most prolific goal scorer in Mr. Dempsey.  For whatever reason, we haven't been able to cope.  

.....................but we beat Norwich 5-0.  :dead horse:

That obviously has been a problem but it needn't have been, Berbatov is quite capable of 20 goals a season he just hasn't been playing in the right position, played far too deep.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: McBridefan1 on February 24, 2013, 05:29:56 PM

I would say his goals are made up for by Berbatov, whatever else I may think of the Berb he is a grand goal scorer. That said I feel he is a liability eslewhere on the pitch and in the club house. Just my opinion though. People complained that demps often looked lazy, but berbs makes demps look like wooney. In basketball we called those guys cherry pickers. That's the berb for me, a cherry picker. Still I always add the caveat that we have been lucky to have some of his timely goals. I don't hate the berb I just expect more from him.

I'm sorry but that's rubbish. Check the stats Berba is NOT lazy. He gets back to make tackles consistently, whatever you say about him he cares, he wants to win.

BarryP

This season has been a step backward to date.  Whether that step has been big or small is a matter of opinion. The departures of Dembele, Dempsey and Murphy have been stinging each in their own way. On the other hand, Riether has been a revelation and the addition of Berbatov has seemed a mixed blessing with Jol as of yet to find a way to settle Ruiz in the same eleven as Berbatov.

If it is true that form is temporary and class is permanent my biggest concerns going forward are two-fold. In the short-term the squad has had a lack of class in front of goal. I am thrilled we took three points from Stoke yesterday but from the sixty-one percent possession we only managed one more shot on goal than Stoke. It was a quality shot but the lack of shots on goal is a recurring theme that I find troubling. In the long-term I am concerned with the number of players that need to be replaced in the squad due to expiring contracts or a drop in form.  I believe the coming summer window will be a critical period for Fulham.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

JackyFulham90

Considering we lost Dembele & Dempsey so late in the summer I think so far we have had a decent season, It's all about where you finish in May & atm we are on course for a top 10 finishso I don't understand the negativity of this post

YankeeJim

The glass IS half full. Stats are stats and has been said can mean what one wishes. I think we lacked spirit and that the exalted Greek and Senderos have put some spark in the lads. We will be fine this year, being 8 points and a double digit goal differential from the drop. Next year? Who knows? I suspect we'll be fine as we have been for the last several years.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

McBridefan1

Quote from: The Moose on February 24, 2013, 05:31:15 PM

I'm sorry but that's rubbish. Check the stats Berba is NOT lazy. He gets back to make tackles consistently, whatever you say about him he cares, he wants to win.

Oh you americans and your stats (you must be american right?)... we know what we see. lol

but what is rubbish? the part where I say he has replaced demps goals or the part where I expect more from a "super star"? What are you saying? that he has been perfect? exactly what we needed? No room for improvement? Well I've got to say you are easily impressed. I want a leader not a demoralizer and a self promoter, I have a right to expect that from the players of the team I love. Especially from a guy like berbatov that has so much talent and should be a great leader by example. He doesn't need to be so self congratulatory and so negative towards other players... lead by example.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: McBridefan1 on February 24, 2013, 05:54:22 PM
Quote from: The Moose on February 24, 2013, 05:31:15 PM

Oh you americans and your stats (you must be american right?)... we know what we see. lol

but what is rubbish? the part where I say he has replaced demps goals or the part where I expect more from a "super star"? What are you saying? that he has been perfect? exactly what we needed? No room for improvement? Well I've got to say you are easily impressed. I want a leader not a demoralizer and a self promoter, I have a right to expect that from the players of the team I love. Especially from a guy like berbatov that has so much talent and should be a great leader by example. He doesn't need to be so self congratulatory and so negative towards other players... lead by example.

I'm English mate and don't see how you can dispute that particular stat. For ground covered he is clearly not lazy.
No one wants a demoralizer but he is a player that makes up better so I'll put up with it.

LordNelson

Quote from: JackyFulham90 on February 24, 2013, 05:35:16 PM
Considering we lost Dembele & Dempsey so late in the summer I think so far we have had a decent season, It's all about where you finish in May & atm we are on course for a top 10 finishso I don't understand the negativity of this post

TOP 10 mate?????
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

Riverside

Your reaction to Fulham currently will depend entirely on what type of person you are .
Are you a ?

glass half full (11th , another top 10 possible , great young pipeline , many older players out of contract so we can pick or choose or bring in youngsters )

Or glass half empty (11th , could finish as low as 15th , not seeing the youngsters play , all our team out f contact and can leave at the end of the year )

The facts will support either !

A Humble Man

Why are so many of the contributors glass half empty people.  Jol found our best 11 yesterday and perfect tactics to beat Stoke.  Keep that team fit and healthy and we will finish in a European place.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

Berserker

Keeps me happy being glass half empty, if i was half full i'd be miserable.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.