more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff(06/03/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 06, 2013, 04:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham XI 5-2 Portsmouth

Goals from Mladen Petrić, Hugo Rodallega, Stanislav Manolev (2) and Urby Emanuelson saw a Fulham XI defeat Portsmouth 5-2 in a behind-closed-doors friendly at Motspur Park as part of a training exercise on Tuesday afternoon.

After Pompey had taken the lead through John Akinde, Fulham levelled just before the break when Petrić headed home. After the restart, Rodallega nodded the Whites in front, with Manolev's brace and Emanuelson's volley making it 5-1. Pompey bagged a late consolation when Ashley Harris tapped home Jack Maloney's cross from close range.

At a sunny Fulham Training Ground, the Whites named a strong side. Neil Etheridge started in goal, behind a back four of Manolev, Aaron Hughes, Chris Baird and Kieran Richardson. The midfield comprised of Simon Davies, Emmanuel Frimpong and Eyong Enoh, with Emanuelson tucking in just behind the front pairing of Petrić and Rodallega.

Fulham dominated the early proceedings but the first incident of note came on 15 minutes when burly Portsmouth striker Akinde bustled his way into space but saw his cross-cum-shot cleared for a corner by Baird.

The Whites were inches away from opening the scoring on the half-hour mark. A wonderful cross-field pass by Richardson was trapped by Emanuelson who shifted the ball onto his left foot before unleashing a fierce shot which Pompey goalkeeper Phil Smith did brilliantly to tip onto the far post.

Five minutes later, Liam Triggs bravely blocked a Rodallega shot from close range after Petrić's cross from the right had been nodded into the six-yard box by Emanuelson.

But it was Pompey who went in front in the 36th minute. Akinde picked up the ball on the left, cut inside and sent a right-footed shot from the edge of the area beyond the reach of Etheridge and into the far corner of the net.

The Whites were level just before the break. Davies played in Richardson on the left and the former Sunderland man's cross was inch-perfect for Petrić who rose to head beyond Smith.

Rodallega blazed over at the start of the second half, before Frimpong saw a shot deflected wide for a corner from which Fulham went in front in the 55th minute. Davies' delivery was met by the towering leap of Rodallega who headed home from six yards.

Akinde almost hauled Pompey level two minutes later, beating Baird to a loose ball but seeing his vicious drive flash just over the bar. Fulham then made a change, with Kerim Frei replacing Frimpong.

Manolev made it 3-1 on 61 minutes. There seemed to be no danger when he picked up a pass from Emanuelson 30 yards from goal, but with no challenge forthcoming, the Bulgarian arrowed a shot that flew straight and true and in off the far post.

Petrić could have made it 4-1 on 65 minutes, wrestling free of a weak challenge by Rafael but shooting over under pressure, before Boumesca Tue Na Bangna replaced Davies.

Manolev grabbed his second and Fulham's fourth on 70 minutes. Neat interplay by Na Bangna and Rodallega saw the Colombian slip the ball to the overlapping Manolev who fooled a Pompey defender by feigning to shoot before firing home with his left foot.

Rodallega couldn't quite meet a Na Bangna cross on 73 minutes, before the impressive Manolev was withdrawn for Jack Grimmer.

Etheridge palmed a Harris free-kick behind with eight minutes left, but it was Fulham who notched the sixth goal of the game when Grimmer's cross from the right was volleyed home by the left foot of Emanuelson.

Petrić went close with a free-kick, with Frei then forcing Smith into a good save after a jinking run, before Pompey grabbed a late consolation when Harris slotted home after meeting Maloney's pullback from the byline.

Fulham: Etheridge, Manolev (Grimmer 74), Hughes (c), Baird, Richardson, Davies (Na Bangna 66), Frimpong (Frei 57), Enoh, Emanuelson, Petrić, Rodallega. Sub (not used): Somogyi.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/05/fulham-xi-portsmouth?

WhiteJC

Frimpong For Free?

Although he is yet to play a major role, for the first team, our loan signing Emmanuel Frimpong could become a permanent fixture at Craven Cottage.

One leading tabloid newspaper is running a story this morning that infers that Frimpong is no longer part of Arsene Wenger`s plans.

Frimpong, who has been at Arsenal since he was 9 years of age, could be let go on a free transfer and discussing the possibility of landing the Ghanaian midfielder on a permanent basis, Martin Jol is quoted as having remarked,

"If there is an opportunity to take him, I would probably do it."

Then let`s get on with it shall we!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=311574#ixzz2MjL9gABy

WhiteJC

Baird To Pen New Deal

Slowly but surely the long list of those players whose contracts are running out at the end of this season are being deal with.

Having already see Damien Duff and Philippe Senderos put pen-to-paper on year long extensions to their contracts, it now seems that Chris Baird is set to follow suit.

Baird, now thirty-one, has been something of a versatile player for Martin Jol this season, often filling roles he`s not usually familiar with, but doing so with great aplomb.

Therefore, this breaking news can only be a positive thing for Fulham Football Club and we congratulate the board.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=311575#ixzz2MjLIi36Q

WhiteJC

Sascha Riether is hoping to make a permanent move to Fulham

Sascha Riether: Would welcome the opportunity to remain at Fulham

Sascha Riether is hoping his loan deal at Fulham will be turned into a permanent transfer at the end of the season.

The 29-year-old linked up with the Cottagers on a season-long agreement from Cologne last summer.

Fulham have the option to bring him on board full-time, and have used him enough in 2012/13 to suggest that they will be interested in talking terms.

Riether would welcome the opportunity to stay on at Craven Cottage and believes discussions will be opened before the campaign comes to a close.

He told the club's official website: "I'd like to remain here. Fulham have an option to buy me and so I think in the next few weeks there will be talks about my future.

"At the moment I can't really say what will happen. But I like it here and I'm thankful that Fulham gave me a chance to play in the Premier League."

While Riether, who has made 31 appearances for Fulham this season, is eager to get a deal pushed through as quickly as possible, Cottagers boss Martin Jol claims he is in no rush to make a decision on the full-back's future.

He said in the Fulham Chronicle: "With Riether, we can take that option until the last month so I don't see the pressure to do it now.

"We can take the option or not take the option."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8542282/?

WhiteJC

Crystal Palace U18s 2 Fulham U18s 3

Goals from Cameron Burgess, Muamer Tankovic and Liam Donnelly maintained Fulham Under-18s' impressive 100 per cent record on Saturday as the Whites defeated Crystal Palace 3-2 away from home.

Palace dominated the opening 45 minutes but it was Fulham who took the lead with less than 10 minutes on the clock through Burgess as the towering centre-back headed in as he met George Williams' corner.

The home side got the equaliser their play deserved before half-time, though, as well as hitting the bar before the interval.

But Steve Wigley's charges were much improved when they reemerged and restored their lead just before the hour mark when Tankovic coolly finished from a tight angle, following some excellent build-up play.

Another corner on 68 minutes - this time taken by Jordan Evans - brought Fulham's third goal as Donnelly headed home. The Eagles responded again 10 minutes later with a side-foot finish from eight yards, but the Whites held on to further cement their place at the top of the Elite Group.

Fulham: 1. Granger, 2. Richards, 3. Evans, 4. Donnelly, 5. Burgess, 6. Sambou, 7. Roberts, 8. Hyndman, 9. Dembele, 10. Tankovic, 11. Williams

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/05/palace-2-u18s-3?

WhiteJC

Fulham Plan Move to Sign Unwanted Arsenal Pair

Craven Cottage side set sights on Emirates Stadium duo.

Fulham boss Martin Jol is reportedly interested in Arsenal duo Andrei Arshavin and Emmanuel Frimpong according to the Daily Express.

Tickets for the upcoming West London derby are now available. Get tickets to see Chelsea v Fulham at Craven Cottage on March 10th.

Jol has already stated publicly that he is interested in making Frimpong's loan move a permanent one despite the fact that the 21 year old has managed just 90 minutes of Premier League football for the West London side thus far.

Jol stated that he would look to snap up the 21-year-old, saying: "If there is an opportunity to take him, I'd probably do it."

Arsene Wenger may well be ready to consider permanent offers for Frimpong given that the young tough tackler is yet to make an impact in the Gunners first team.

Moves to capture Russian winger Arshavin may be even easier to complete given that the 31 year old will be out of contract in the summer and therefore available on a free transfer after a disappointing spell at the Emirates Stadium.

Arshavin's agent Dmitri Seluk recently dropped a hint that his client is considering Fulham, admitting: "Top English clubs won't take him."

"And considering the fact that he doesn't want to leave London, the next club for Arshavin will be Fulham or something like that."

The former Zenit St Petersburg has steadfastly failed to live up to the £15m fee Wenger paid for his services back in January 2009, only showing fleeting glimpses of the form that brought him to the fore during Euro 2008.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/03/05/fulham-plan-move-to-sign-unwanted-arsenal-pair/?

WhiteJC

Aussie Winger Returns To Fulham

Ryan Williams spell with Gillingham has been cut short after his parent club recalled him.

The 19-year-old had been limited to just a development game during his time with The Gills, four times being an unused substitute for Martin Allen as far as League Two action went.

Fulham, it would appear, have decided they are better off having him back with them if the winger isn't going to get a chance with Gillingham, which you could understand in a way and I'm slightly surprised that the Australian hasn't had a chance really.

Michael Richardson, who arrived on loan from Newcastle at the same time, is also yet to make his Gills bow.

Read more: http://www.gillingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=311616#ixzz2MjMUwnRX

WhiteJC

No returns: Fulham to open talks to keep German loan star Sascha Riether

The Cologne full-back has impressed at the Cottage, and Martin Jol wants to make the move permanent

On strike: Fulham defender Sasha Riether scores at Sunderland
Ian MacNicol

On-loan full-back Sascha Riether has revealed that talks to keep him at Fulham are set to open this month.

Riether has impressed since moving to Craven Cottage on a year-long loan from German side Cologne at the start of the season.

Boss Martin Jol is keen to trigger a clause in his contract to secure a permanent move and Riether, who scored in the weekend's 2-2 draw at Sunderland, admits he is enjoying life in west London.

Happy in his work: Sascha Riether celebrates after scoring
AP

"I'd like to remain here. Fulham have an option to buy me and so I think in the next few weeks there will be talks about my future.

"At the moment I can't really say what will happen. But I like it here and I'm thankful that Fulham gave me the chance to play in the Premier League."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/fulham-transfer-news-sascha-riether-1745056?

WhiteJC

Petrov Tribute Game Pits Stoichkov, Berbatov & Bulgarian PM vs AVFC Former Players

In January, MOMS man in Bulgaria, Atanas Kovachev, brought us news that plans had been confirmed for a charity match between Aston Villa former players and a Bulgarian National Team XI on 25th of May in Sofia,Bulgaria at the "Ovcha Kupel (Slavia) National Stadium". The news has now been officially announced by the Aston Villa Former Players Association.

The Bulgarian team will include some of our greatest stars from the recent past – Hristo Stoichkov,Liuboslav Penev,Krasimir Balakov – and also will see a return in a Bulgarian national shirt for Dimitar Berbatov (who retired from international football). The team will even include the Prime Minister of Bulgaria – Boyko Borisov – who played for a local amateur team in the 4th tier of Bulgarian football.

Coaching the Bulgarian XI will be probably the country's greatest coach Dimitar Penev, who led the team during the USA World Cup in 1994.

Stiliyan Petrov has overseen the arrangements for the game which will be in aid of children in Bulgaria who suffer from Leukaemia. Petrov will also be in attendance in Sofia for the occasion.

From what we've seen here on MOMS already of the stellar Bulgarian support of Petrov in his homeland, it should be a grand event, with no doubt a lot of new friends being made along the way.

Check out the following:

The 19th minute Petrov Tribute at Bulgaria's National Stadium last year

Examples of Petrov support across Bulgaria.

If you're interested in attending, the AVFPA have announced these following details:

'A private Bulgarian Air plane will take you from Birmingham to Sofia and you will spend the days with a host of stars, either watching the football or playing golf or both! 25 former Villa stars will be on the tour, fun and fundraising with "Stan" is the real game!

There are a limited number of tickets so, for more information and the schedule, drop a line to [email protected] or go on to our website at www.astonvillafpa.org for more details.
If you are a potential sponsor for this event then also drop Richard a line – there are packages from £1000-£20,000 and you can expect some really high-profile TV coverage, both in Bulgaria and the UK.
The big match will be held in the Bulgarian National Stadium in Sofia on Saturday 25th May, followed by two days of golf or general entertainment – your choice. WANT TO JOIN US?'

http://www.myoldmansaid.com/petrov-tribute-game-sofia-stoichkov-berbatov-bulgarian-pm-avfc-players/?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss plays waiting game over Riether

MARTIN Jol insists he's in no rush to make a decision on Sascha Riether's Fulham future.

The German right-back has been a big hit since making the season-long loan switch from Cologne last summer.

Riether has featured 31 times for the Whites but is due to return to his parent club at the end of the campaign.

Fulham have the option to make the 29-year-old's move permanent, with Riether keen to remain at Craven Cottage.

But boss Jol says he will wait before making a decision on the defender's future.

"With Riether we can take that option until the last month so I don't see the pressure to do it now," said the Dutchman.

"We can take the option or not take the option."

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2013/03/05/82029-32925884/?

WhiteJC

Ambitious Gameiro sets his goals

Australian striker Corey Gameiro intends using the FIFA U-20 World Cup as an opportunity to audition for clubs worldwide.

Gameiro, who is playing on loan to A-League club Wellington Phoenix from Fulham, told The World Game his contract with the English Premier League club runs out at the end of the season and that he was keen to go to the youth tournament as a free agent.

Gameiro scored all six of Australia's goals in the AFC U-19 championship in the United Arab Emirates last November, in which the young Socceroos made the semi-finals to qualify for June's U-20 World Cup finals.

"I haven't re-signed with Fulham yet," Gameiro said. "We haven't had any discussions, so I don't know what is going to happen there.

"I'm treating the youth World Cup as a chance to put myself in the best possible position by playing well in front of agents and club representatives from around the world. They all go to this tournament to look at players.

"People have said to me, 'that's a lot of pressure to put on yourself', but I don't look at it that way. I see it as a great opportunity to perform, and I'm excited about it.

"If I got any offers, I'd be able to negotiate straight away because I'd be a free agent.

"I'm just going to go there and play my football for the team, and if a club sees me and decides I'm worth signing, that's great.

"If nothing happens, then that's the way it goes, and I'll probably keep playing in the A-League while I work out what to do in the future."

Gameiro will play his fifth game for Phoenix when it meets competition leader Western Sydney Wanderers at Parramatta Stadium on Sunday.

He had been playing on loan to Dutch club FC Eindhoven, and his move to the A-League was not expected, but Gameiro said circumstances convinced him to make the choice to come here after his spell in the Netherlands finished.

"As soon as I got back to Fulham from the loan I wanted to go straight back out again," the 20-year-old said.

"They were going to put me in reserve grade, but I didn't want to do that. I thought it was time to play men's football, and I needed to, if I was going to develop.

"I grew up watching the A-League, and I knew it was a lot better now that when I left Australia.

"I knew it would be better for me to play in that rather than reserve grade in England, so my manager went looking for a club for me.

"There were plenty of clubs interested but the main thing for me was to make sure I was playing football.

"I didn't want to be coming off the bench, or not getting much time. I saw a great opportunity at the Phoenix, so I signed for them.

"I'm on loan until the end of the season and we'll see what happens after the World Cup."

Gameiro played in his first two games for Wellington under coach Ricki Herbert, who resigned after a poor run of results. Herbert's assistant, Chris Greenacre, took over the coaching duties in an interim capacity.

"I'm used to playing up front but when I started at Wellington they put me in an attacking midfielder role, through the centre," Gameiro said.

"That was good, because I could be dangerous coming forward but last week they dropped me back as a central midfielder.

"I didn't play very well and I've had a chat to the coach about it. I think I'm better off playing in the more forward midfield role.

"I said I'd be happy to stay where I was, if that's what they want to do, but hopefully I'll go back to the attacking midfielder role this week."

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/news/1143128/?

WhiteJC

QPR On General Sale

The Whites face Queens Park Rangers at Craven Cottage on Monday 1st April (8pm) and tickets are available to buy on General Sale (maximum six per person).

Matches under the floodlights always have an extra special atmosphere and with this one being a local derby, it's not one you'll want to miss.

Supporters will have fond memories of QPR's last visit to the Cottage as the Whites hit six goals without reply to take all three points.

Tickets are priced from £40 for adults and £20 for juniors and can be purchased online or by calling the Ticket Office on 0843 208 1234 (Option 1).

Make sure you're at the Cottage cheering on the Whites - buy your tickets online today.
Buy Online

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/06/derby-on-general-sale?

WhiteJC

Burnley boss Sean Dyche doubts Alex Kacaniklic will remain with club

Alex Kacaniklic: On loan at Burnley from Fulham

Burnley boss Sean Dyche doubts a permanent deal can be done for on-loan Fulham winger Alex Kacaniklic.

The Sweden international has linked up with the Clarets on an agreement that is due to run until the end of the season.

He has impressed during his short time at Turf Moor, with his creative talents drawing plenty of praise.

Kacaniklic decided to join Burnley after finding regular game time hard to come by at Fulham, with Martin Jol reluctant to ask too much of the 21-year-old.

Dyche admits he would be happy to offer the youngster all the football he can handle, but appreciates that the Cottagers are unlikely to be willing to discuss a summer transfer.

He told the Burnley Express: "I'm imagining it would be unlikely, but if it's not I'd be buzzing. I might even get my own money out to sign him!

"He's a young talent. He's a very good player but he's 30 games or so into his career, so he's got more development to come.

"He's hungry for development and all credit to him."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/8543611/?

WhiteJC

U18s Defeat Bolton

Fulham Under-18s continued their fine form with a comprehensive 4-1 win at Bolton Wanderers on Wednesday.

Steve Wigley's side made it six victories from six as they maintained their place at the top of the Barclays Premier League Under-18 Elite Group.

In spite of the cold and windy conditions, Fulham made a bright start with Solomon Sambou (pictured) drilling in the opener after just 10 minutes following some clever approach play.

Moussa Dembele and Muamer Tankovic both went close to extending the lead, with Patrick Roberts and Jordan Evans causing the home side problems out on the flanks.

Fulham were rewarded with a second on 30 minutes, with Tankovic and Roberts combining smartly, before the latter was felled in the Bolton box. Tankovic stepped up and converted the penalty with customary composure.

The Whites started the second half strongly, and had a third 10 minutes in when Roberts met an inviting pass from Tankovic before firing a fine low shot across the Bolton goalkeeper.

The Trotters did pull one back, but Fulham's three-goal difference was restored when Evans smashed in from close range after meeting Liam Donnelly's pin-point cross on 80 minutes.

"It was a comfortable performance from the boys," said Academy Director Huw Jennings to fulhamfc.com. "They played in some difficult conditions, so it was good to see them produce such a positive showing. In fact, for a 20-minute spell in the second half, we played as good football as I have ever seen at Under-18 level.

"Bolton's staff were very complimentary too, so that was nice to hear. However, we got a little sloppy at one point, so the boys will need to look at that. But, all in all it was very good performance.

"Six straight wins is obviously very pleasing too, and the team is doing very well at the moment. We also had three Under-16 players out there today, which was good to see. The Under-21s have won their last two games as well, and with a few of our Under-18 boys included, it's good time right now. It certainly bodes well for the future."

Fulham Under-18s return to league action on Saturday when they make the trip to Reading (11am).

Fulham Under-18s: Oberschmidt; Donnelly, O'Reilly, Burgess, Richards (Smile 75); Roberts (Leacock-Mcleod 80), Sambou, Hyndman, Evans; Tankovic; Dembele (Williams 70)

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/march/06/u18s-defeat-bolton?

WhiteJC

Is Philippe Senderos a help or hindrance for Fulham?

Philippe Senderos, the enigmatic centre-back – intermittently solid, otherwise unreliable. And yet, last Friday, the Swiss defender signed a one-year extension to his current deal at Fulham – news that was met with quiet disdain in some quarters and relative satisfaction in others.

For clarity, I fall into the latter. But there is undoubtedly concern over his role at the club, whether he is worthy of Premier League football and whether his recent stint in the first XI is actually justified.

The argument that it isn't justified is a strong one. Aaron Hughes is a fine footballer and, over five years at Fulham, has built an unassailable partnership with fellow defender Brede Hangeland. They complement each other; brute and brawn alongside intelligence and finesse. There are few reasons you'd want to separate them.

Yet, Martin Jol enjoys doing so. Hangeland has been set up alongside Senderos for the last five matches and, in defence of the 28 year old, we kept two clean sheets and looked, generally, more defensively resilient with his presence in the side.

His sheer physicality can prove vital in specific match-ups. Against Stoke City, for example, for the most part he dealt with Tony Pulis' side and their strength with great aplomb.

But with such aspects to his game comes an inevitable lack of mobility. He is short of pace, slow on the turn and notoriously tight on players he is marking. This final point has huge side-effects, leaving Senderos vulnerable and this, often enough, is where his mistakes come from. Those glorious, doomed mistakes.

Against Sunderland, in our 2-2 draw, he was too close to Danny Graham and tugged him down. Against Stoke, a lack of awareness and concentration allowed Peter Crouch through on goal. They're very much costly errors and they seem to be popping up with an ever increasing regularity.

Despite this, there is still a sense that he has a lot to offer our humble club. He has experience at the very highest level to fall back upon. He has an impeccable understanding of the game, even if he does not always implement it. And he, more than anything, provides reputable backup to what is one of the best partnerships the Premier League has to offer.

So, this new deal is no bad piece of news. Perhaps Jol's infatuation with the Swiss could do with something of a rethink but, nonetheless, we have ourselves a capable defender in this player and we should be thankful that he's willing to stay.

Metro Blogs is a place for opinions. These opinions belong to the author and are not necessarily shared by Metro.

http://blogs.metro.co.uk/sport/is-philippe-senderos-help-hindrance-fulham/?_rescon&_rescon_width=0&_rescon_esi