watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Any one remember this?

Started by bucksfulham, March 08, 2013, 07:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bucksfulham

:005: Feb 1966: Pearson gets St John sent off. They were top and we were bottom but we won 2-0 and eventually avoided relegation by 2 points

BRUTAL KNOCKOUT PUNCH

Start of game and first goal / sending off here: 1965 - 1966 Fulham v Liverpool

Fletchino

Is the 2nd half anywhere great watching it so far

bucksfulham

Quote from: FLETCHINO on March 08, 2013, 07:35:51 PM
Is the 2nd half anywhere great watching it so far
If it is, I can't find it

Grumpy Old Fart

I was at that game. I think it was the start of the (first) Great Escape. Before that Liverpool game we looked doomed to be relegated but that win really boosted confidence in us and a great run of results followed as I remember. The only thing that sticks in my mind about the match now was the St.John sending off and the image of Pancho lying stiff as a board on his back. It happened right in front of where I stood. Pancho really hammed that one up!

jarv

I was at the game too. Very close to the action as it happened.  In fact I might have had to duck for Pearson to miss me  :005:

bill taylors apprentice

I too was there, very close to the incident and I swear I saw Pearson wink as he lay there milking it.

MOR :

Liverpool finished top that season, and also we got stuffed at home by Leeds (who finished 2nd) but bloody won at Elland Road..how Fulhamish is that?

Travers Barney

There was this right nice bloke at work..Alan McCann his name was..he used to go around the London grounds in that era when there were London football fans who maybe had special allegiances but could watch any game they wanted...just rock up on the day...he really disliked St John for what he did that day and often talked about it....adored Haynes as did many...his preference was probably Charlton Athletic though.

coyw
We are the whites

cmg

Thanks.
One of the most hilarious memories of the past. Pity to see it in reality, really. In my mind, and when I retell the incident, Pearson ends up over the fence and halfway up the Riverside terrace. It was only later that I realized that Pancho was hamming it up a bit, although, while it is obvious that  St John misses with the left, I think the original right was a pretty good effort. Tommy Smith seemed impressed, and he was a man who knew a bit about violence.

Earle's goal was a thing of great beauty. Good execution and a fine cross from Haynes, but the gem is Graham Leggat taking Robson's pass, turning and playing that fabulous ball inside the two defenders to Haynes. He could do that stuff or play out wide, and be our leading goalscorer too. I'd have a small bet on him against Ian St John in a catch-weight contest, too. One of the most underrated players of all-time.

One or two other memories. We often used to stand near the floodlight just below where Ken Wolstenholme makes his opening remarks. God knows why. Great view, but cold and exposed - just the place to catch the wind as it whipped in off the river. I suppose we were too stupid to feel the cold in those days.

Note the four in-line chimneys of Fulham Power Station in Townmead Road seen over the Cottage roof just before ko. Long gone, it's a rather posher place these days.

As has been said, this kick started a run of 9 wins in 13 matches to confound Mr Wolstenholme's prediction of relegation (although Liverpool did win the title). Earle and Leggat scored sixteen between them in those remaining matches.

bigalffc

I was in the putney end that day and was convinced it had connected  096.gig and knocked him out!!!
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

Snibbo

I was on the Thames Bank (as it was called) only about 15 yards from the pitch and in line with the punch up. Can see it clear as day in my mind. I was only a teenager, and a quiet lad, so it made a big impression. Which is possibly more than St John made on Pancho. I think it was a definite red card, but Pancho should probably have gone as well for grabbing St John by the head (or what little hair he had) after St John had brought him down from behind. In fact St John's tackle would probably get a red these days.

nose

Yes, i was there too. what a comebck to escape. if i recall northampton were the team we had to overcome and they became great hate figures in mind as a child.

A Humble Man

I remember it well was at the front of the enclosure where I was usually went.
We Are Fulham, Believe.

bucksfulham

LordNelson

That was awesome!  049:gif  Not too shabby either.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

filham

I was on the terraces at the Hammersmith end and remember the sending off incident well. What a match to win,  Liverpool were a top team at the time and St. John was their idol.

Remember the church placard in Liverpool which read" What Will We Do When The Lord Comes", someone boldly wrote underneath "Play St. John at Inside Left"

A great thread,many thanks. Must have been one of the rare occasions we saw Haynes without the number ten on his back.

Burt

Not the best of challenges leading up to it. "Robust", as they say... A red in it's own right...

gang

I was at this game and remember the incident well, it was very rare for a player to be sent off then. That season sticks in my mind as having the worse display by a Fulham side that I can recall, it was home to Northampton when we lost 1-4

A Humble Man

Quote from: bucksfulham on March 09, 2013, 12:08:15 PM
Quote from: A Humble Man on March 09, 2013, 10:45:22 AM
I remember it well was at the front of the enclosure where I was usually went.
All 65/66 results are here

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/match/index.html?season=1965%2F66;team=286

I remember when we won the first home game 5-2 we all thought we were going to have a good season.  We hardly won a game after that until that amazing end to the season.
We Are Fulham, Believe.