watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

You cannot take flowers into a hospital now NFR

Started by epsomraver, March 13, 2013, 04:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epsomraver

Went to Darent valleyHospital  near Dartford to visit my  sick Aunt and thought I would take some flowers in to her, when I got to the ward I was told that you cannot have flowers in there , I could show them to her but had to take them home,( had trouble climbing back into the cemetary again  :dft011:) some Elf and safety rule ? it was a respiritory  ward ? Thought things had progressed from the days when they removed all the flowers at night in case they sucked all the oxygen out of the place

YankeeJim

Sounds like some stupid union rule. The help doesn't want to have to deal with flowers. The fact that it might bring a bit of relief or a smile to someone that is ill of course doesn't matter.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

God The Mechanic

Probably a cleanliness thing, could have parasites and whatnot.  Still seems a bit ridiculous though :P

MOR :

Quote from: epsomraver on March 13, 2013, 04:28:07 PM
Went to Darent valleyHospital  near Dartford to visit my  sick Aunt and thought I would take some flowers in to her, when I got to the ward I was told that you cannot have flowers in there , I could show them to her but had to take them home,( had trouble climbing back into the cemetary again  :dft011:) some Elf and safety rule ? it was a respiritory  ward ? Thought things had progressed from the days when they removed all the flowers at night in case they sucked all the oxygen out of the place

epsomraver,they might prefer not to have flowers on the ward because of the pollen they contain, which affects some people who suffer with asthma and other allergies...

Plants take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen, plants are the lungs of the earth...

The Equalizer

Quote from: MOR : on March 13, 2013, 04:49:58 PM
Went to Darent valleyHospital  near Dartford to visit my  sick Aunt and thought I would take some flowers in to her, when I got to the ward I was told that you cannot have flowers in there , I could show them to her but had to take them home,( had trouble climbing back into the cemetary again  :dft011:) some Elf and safety rule ? it was a respiritory  ward ? Thought things had progressed from the days when they removed all the flowers at night in case they sucked all the oxygen out of the place

epsomraver,they might prefer not to have flowers on the ward because of the pollen they contain, which affects some people who suffer with asthma and other allergies...Plants take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen, plants are the lungs of the earth...

Bring a jar of green algae in.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

epsomraver

Quote from: MOR : on March 13, 2013, 04:49:58 PM

epsomraver,they might prefer not to have flowers on the ward because of the pollen they contain, which affects some people who suffer with asthma and other allergies...

Plants take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen, plants are the lungs of the earth...

Only when photosynthesis is taking place and that does NOT happen with cut flowers. You are on a subject I really know a lot about and have sold aquatic plants and the equipment to grow them for years, They cannot be arsed to provide a vase and are afraid in case one gets knocked over onto electrical equipment, never had electricity in hospitals until recently eh!
The pollen thing I can just about understand if you stuffed them up someones nose!

Airfix

Quote from: epsomraver on March 13, 2013, 04:56:40 PM

The pollen thing I can just about understand if you stuffed them up someones nose!

Bet you were sorely tempted....

Hope Auntie gets well soon.

epsomraver

Thanks, she is being moved to Sidcup today so making progress.

ron

If they stop people taking in food and drink, there will be more deaths from starvation and thirst from what we read....

...so I don't think we should consider flowers as a health risk !

P.S. Best wishes to Aunt for a speedy recovery.   :dft009:

jarv

There has been a lot of hoo ha here in USA about hospitals actually being the source of a lot of illnesses. This results in the usual over reaction to rules and regulaations.  My wife has recently been in and on visits I noticed a lot of people now walking around wearing masks (not the halloween type). I guess they either don't want to catch something or give what they have to someone else.
Mind you, more likely to catch something eating the hospital food or, in my case, any of the eating establishments across the road.

TheDaddy

Its all to do with MRSA folks the water the flowers sat in or sit in ,Got collared way back when i brought some in for Grace way back ...
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

DukeTyrion

Quote from: TheDaddy on March 13, 2013, 07:04:23 PM
Its all to do with MRSA folks the water the flowers sat in or sit in ,Got collared way back when i brought some in for Grace way back ...

Indeed, it's the 'open' water that is the issue.

Some hospitals will allow flowers if they are in a sealed base (where the water is enclosed)

A Humble Man

"An NHS hospital has banned flowers because they pose a health risk to patients.
Staff have been told to refuse any plants and bouquets delivered to the hospital and will instead ask relatives to take them away.
Nearby florists have even been put on alert and will not take any orders from people wishing to send their sick loved ones a floral gift.
Hospital officials claim harmful bacteria can grow in the water and spread germs among patients if spilt."
We Are Fulham, Believe.

God The Mechanic

Quote from: A Humble Man on March 13, 2013, 07:30:49 PM
"Hospital officials claim harmful bacteria can grow in the water and spread germs among patients if spilt."

"In other news, people have been banned from entering hospitals as it has been proven that they too can also spread germs.  Especially if spilt..."

HatterDon

take her a stuffed animal. It doesn't matter how old you are -- or which sex -- a stuffed animal to cuddle is always welcome in a hospital.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Berserker

I took my mum in a stuffed animal the last time she was in hospital. She was quite distressed being there. The little white furry bear calmed her down and she used to cuddle it at night in hospital and found it comforting. When she suddenly died on her landing early one morning i found the little bear in her bed, so i guess she kept on cuddling it at night to give her comfort even after she had come home from hospital. I have the cuddly white bear on my desk at my house now as it reminds of my mum and our life together
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

epsomraver

She did have a male and female monkey once, she had them stuffed, the taxidermist asked her if she wanted them mounted, she said "  No, just leave them holding hands" !  :Get Coat gif:

Lighthouse

A year a go there were no flowers allowed, every patient was tested for MRSA and nobody was allowed to help move a trolley for fear of them being injured and sueing. Six month ago I was asked to hold and turn my pollaxed sister, help move a trolley, help hold her arm while she had blood taken.

Give it time they will allow me to do operations.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BarryP

MRSA is nothing to take lightly. My oldest son is fortnate to have only a nasty scar on his knee. The next preventative measure was amputation and the infection began as something that looked like a small pimple.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Lighthouse

Quote from: BarryP on March 14, 2013, 12:01:19 AM
MRSA is nothing to take lightly. My oldest son is fortnate to have only a nasty scar on his knee. The next preventative measure was amputation and the infection began as something that looked like a small pimple.

The point is that every patient is tested, yet other than the gel that is available at every enterance and exit, nobody checks the people and visitors going in and out for obvious reasons of time etc.

Anyway good wishes to everybody who has friends or family in or visiting hospital or has gone through all this.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope