watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Wednesday Fulham Stuff(17/04/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 17, 2013, 04:32:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Lampard will never play for Fulham! Jol rules move for out-of-contract Chelsea midfielder

Martin Jol has laughed off any chance of Fulham signing Frank Lampard ahead of tomorrow's west London derby with Chelsea.

The 34-year-old midfielder might be just two goals shy of the Blues' all-time scoring record, but a Stamford Bridge exit at the end of his contract this summer looks likely.

Having stayed on the bench for Sunday's FA Cup semi-final with Manchester City, Lampard is in line to make his 600th Chelsea appearance tomorrow at Craven Cottage.

Moving on: Chelsea's Frank Lampard looks set to leave the club in the summer

Fulham boss Jol was full of praise for the England international ahead of the match but dismissed suggestions he might make a summer approach.

'He is the most productive midfield player in England in the last 30 or 40 years,' the Dutchman said.

'Everyone would love to have him. He's fit and is a good character.

'He will have a smile on his face if he listens to Fulham but I would love to have him.

Heading for the exit: Lampard has scored 200 goals for Chelsea

'But it's hypothetical as he will never play for Fulham. I'm not sure he will play for a top-10 team.

'He's a legend - a living legend over there. He won all the prizes over there. In the end I have a feeling they will keep him.'

Any move for Lampard would fly in the face of Jol's ambition to lower the age of the Fulham squad.

They have had the oldest in the Premier League for the past three seasons, but the Dutchman will not use young players for the sake of it.

'Necessity is the mother of invention,' he said. 'I've got a few youngsters but they have to do well.

No interest: Martin Jol says he won't move for Lampard in the summer

'For example Matthew Briggs is a youngster and has played for a few loan teams but he has to do well.

'If you don't do well you can't expect to be in the first team.

'Kaca (Alex Kacaniklic) did okay but they have to work hard and develop themselves.

'Kerim Frei is one them. Chris David will be one of them but they have to prove they are as good as someone in the first team.

'It's not an easy one but I'm 100 per cent certain that we have one of the best academies in England. They proved that every year - champions of England and finalists before.

'How many players in England are 18 or 19 in the first team? Mention one player. But Fulham will have one or two. I am always respectful for my older players.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2310149/Martin-Jol-rules-Fulham-signing-Chelseas-Frank-Lampard.html#ixzz2Qgi7gC92
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Martin Jol plans to reinforce midfield

Fulham manager Martin Jol says the priority in the close season will be to strengthen his midfield.

The Cottagers lost Clint Dempsey, Mousa Dembele and Danny Murphy last summer.

In addition, the contracts of fellow midfielders Mahamadou Diarra, Giorgos Karagounis, Chris Baird and Simon Davies are up at the end of the season.

"In midfield, I think Steve Sidwell is probably the only one left of the players we had six or seven months ago. We have to do something," said Jol.

Fulham have Urby Emanuelson, Emmanuel Frimpong, Stanislav Manolev and Eyong Enoh on loan until this summer and Jol has the option to make the moves of the latter pair permanent.

"Up front, we will talk to Mladen Petric as he is on a one-year deal," added Jol, whose side are 10th in the Premier League.

"We have an option in Sascha Riether's loan [to make it permanent] and we will probably take that.

"For the rest, I don't see any problem but in midfield we can do something because there is only one or two left.

"Karagounis is also on a one-year deal so Sidwell is probably the only one who is on a long-term contract."

Jol would like goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer to extend his current deal past this summer but says he still wants to sign another keeper.

"Mark Schwarzer is for us almost a hero," said Jol. "He saves games for us so I would like him to stay but we are looking for a goalkeeper."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22170429

WhiteJC

Injured Duff to miss Chelsea derby

Fulham's Damien Duff (right) goes off injured early in the first half against Aston Villa.
Photo: Nigel French/EMPICS

Fulham's Damien Duff will miss tomorrow's clash with former club Chelsea through injury.

The 34-year-old was forced off 10 minutes into Saturday's 1-1 draw with Aston Villa with an adductor strain, which will also likely see him miss this weekend's match against Arsenal.

Former Chelsea midfielder Steve Sidwell is suspended, while Ashkan Dejagah (ankle) and Mahamadou Diarra (knee) are sidelined for the remainder of the season.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Etheridge, Riether, Manolev, Hangeland, Hughes, Senderos, Riise, Richardson, Baird, Karagounis, Frimpong, Davies, Frei, Enoh, Ruiz, Emanuelson, Berbatov, Ruiz, Rodallega, Petric.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/injured_duff_to_miss_chelsea_derby_1_2020256

WhiteJC

Opta Stats: Fulham v Chelsea

Having suffered the disappointment of a FA Cup semi-final defeat, Chelsea now face the challenge of a West London derby against Fulham, as they look to move back ahead of Arsenal.

Chelsea have won none of their last four Barclays Premier League away games and lost the last three in a row. You can lay a Chelsea win at 1.86.

The last four London derbies between Fulham and Chelsea have ended as draws, with only four goals being scored in total overall. The draw can be backed at 3.85.

Fulham have won just one of their 23 Premier League meetings with the Blues (W1 D10 L12) and none of the last 13 (W0 D7 L6). A Chelsea win can be backed at 1.85.

Fulham have recovered fewer points from losing positions than any other team in the Premier League this season (5). Chelsea are 2.96 to win half-time/full-time.

The Whites have won three of their last four Premier League home games, losing the other to Manchester United (0-1). Fulham are 4.8 to pull off a win.

10 of Dimitar Berbatov's 13 Premier League goals for Fulham have come before half-time. The Bulgarian is priced at 8.0 to score the first goal.

Berbatov has scored four goals in his last three appearances for Fulham in the Premier League at Craven Cottage. He is 3.55 to score at any time.

Fulham's woodwork has been struck 18 times, more than any other team in the Premier League this season. They are 5.8 to stay lucky and keep a clean sheet.

Martin Jol has only won one of his eight Premier League games as a coach against Chelsea (W1 D3 L4) and has never been triumphant against Rafa Benitez in seven head to head league games (W0 D4 L3). The Blues are 5.0 to win both halves.

Chelsea have won 14 points from eight Premier League London derbies this season (W4 D2 L2) and have conceded only eight goals in these eight games. Chelsea are 3.2 to win to nil.

http://betting.betfair.com/football/opta/opta-stats-fulham-v-chelsea-160413-629.html?

WhiteJC

Could Martin Jol and Dimitar Berbatov finally get Tottenham Hotspur into the Champions League?

Two former Tottenham Hotspur favourites lead Fulham into a trio of matches against Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton, where good results for the Cottagers could be a huge boost for Spurs.

With Tottenham Hotspur's Champions league hopes seemingly hanging by a thread, they could be forgiven for rueing the fact that the team that will face all three of their rivals over the next couple of weeks is a Fulham side that have little left to play for this season.

However they might be able to hope that two former White Hart Lane favourites can do them a favour, with Martin Jol and Dimitar Berbatov being given a perfect chance to help Spurs out as they take on Chelsea, Arsenal and Everton in their next three matches.

Berbatov scored the only goal in Fulham's recent win at White Hart Lane, and is enjoying a late season purple patch that Spurs fans will hope extends over the coming weeks.

With 40 points already accumulated, the most Fulham can reasonably aim for is 8th place in the league, with West Brom currently four points ahead of the Cottagers, but Jol might feel that their fixtures gives him a chance to help Spurs achieve the Champions League qualification they were cruelly denied under his leadership.

In 2006, Spurs went into the final day of the season in fourth place under the Dutchman's leadership, before "lasagne-gate" saw ten players fall ill and Spurs eventually lost 2-1 at West Ham to allow Arsenal to overtake them.

Two fifth place finishes under Jol, and his genial demeanour, meant that he will always be remembered fondly at White Hart Lane, having been ruthlessly dispatched by the board when they brought in Juande Ramos.

Berbatov's past is slightly more chequered with Spurs, but the two of them were integral to helping Spurs change from being a mid-table side into a team capable of consistently challenging for a Champions League place, and Tottenham fans will be hoping they can now give their team a helping hand in this year's top four battle.

image: © nicksarebi

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/04/16/nh-could-martin-jol-and-dimitar-berbatov-finally-get-tottenham-h/

WhiteJC

Top Turk arrives on Fulham ace mission

Galatasaray are stepping up their interest in Fulham's forgotten man Kerim Frei with a delegation due to arrive in London this week.

The Istanbul giants have been monitoring the fortunes of Frei closely since he switched allegiances from Switzerland to represent Turkey at international level. Despite making two appearances for Turkey during the recent international break, Frei has returned to the Fulham reserves and is well down the pecking order at Craven Cottage. He made a big impact under Martin Jol last season and went on to feature in 16 Premier League games, but has not played for the first team since December after a disappointing loan spell at Cardiff City. Galatasaray sporting director Bulent Tulun has travelled to England and is expected to prepare a scouting report after Fulham's matches against Chelsea and Arsenal this week. However, Frei is not certain to feature in either match.

http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/top-turk-arrives-on-fulham-ace-mission-1577197.html?

WhiteJC

Jol predicts transfer merry-go-round for Fulham

Transfer news: Martin Jol is expecting another summer of change to Fulham's midfield, with a host of players' futures up in the air.

After losing the likes of Clint Dempsey, Mousa Dembele and Danny Murphy last year, there again looks set to be another high turnover of midfielders at Craven Cottage.

Giorgos Karagounis, Mahamadou Diarra, Chris Baird and Simon Davies have all yet to extend their contracts past the end of the season.

The on-loan quartet of Urby Emanuelson, Emmanuel Frimpong, Stanislav Manolev and Eyong Enoh also see their stays expire in the summer, although Fulham have an option to make the latter duo's moves permanent.

Jol has some tough decisions to make over the coming months in regards to those players and knows new midfielders need to arrive ahead of the new campaign.

"If you look at the defence, I think we are fine," the Dutchman said.

"If you look at the midfield, I think Steve Sidwell is probably the only one left if you think of all the players we had six or seven months ago. We have to do something.

"Up front, Mladen Petric we will talk to him as he is on a one-year deal [which expires].

"Sascha Riether we have an option in his loan [to make it permanent] and we will probably take that.

"For the rest, I don't see any problem but in midfield we can do something because there is only one or two left.

"Karagounis is also on a one-year deal so Sidwell is probably the only one who is on a long-term contract."

As well as shoring up his midfield, Jol wants to bring in a new goalkeeper.

Regular number one Mark Schwarzer has yet to sign a new deal past the summer and understudy David Stockdale, currently on loan at Hull, is frustrated at a lack of opportunities in west London.

"Mark Schwarzer is for us almost a hero," said Jol, who also today played down of a move for Athletic Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta.

"He saves games for us so I would like him to stay but we are looking for a goalkeeper.

"Neil Etheridge is young and has no experience. He will go on loan, 100 per cent, to gain experience to be the number one in the future.

"We have Csaba Somogyi, who was man-of-the-match four times out of the last six games at Dartford, but we still look for a goalkeeper.

"We are looking for a good goalkeeper so if Mark decides to stay I have two good goalkeepers, plus Stockdale because he is still there. I have to talk to him."

While next season is not far from his mind, Jol's immediate attention is on tomorrow's derby clash with Chelsea.

The Cottagers have a miserable record against their west London neighbours, winning just one of 23 Premier League clashes, but could be playing them at a good time given the Blues' hectic fixture schedule.

"I am not sure," Jol said about the timing. "Sometimes you have the rhythm, which gives you the advantage.

"We played on Saturday, we will play again Wednesday and then against Arsenal.

"It is about legs so it depends on who is playing. If they play the same team, that probably could help us.

"If not, they are big enough as a squad to play four or five different players and I think they probably will."

Former Chelsea midfielders Damien Duff and Sidwell will be unavailable for Fulham tomorrow through injury and suspension, respectively.

Diarra and Ashkan Dejagah are also out, although on-loan Ajax midfielder Enoh should be okay after a slight ankle complaint.

http://www.london24.com/sport/fulham/jol_predicts_transfer_merry_go_round_for_fulham_1_2020443

WhiteJC

Chelsea must make fast start against Fulham, demands Rafael Benitez

Chelsea boss Rafael Benitez says his side will need to make a fast start against Fulham and learn the lessons from the Wembley defeat to Manchester City.

Chelsea relinquished their hold on the FA Cup with a 2-1 semi-final loss to City on Sunday, but came close to forcing extra-time with a revival in the final 25 minutes.

The Blues have little time to dwell on the defeat ahead of tomorrow's west London derby at Craven Cottage, where victory and a consolidation of a top-four place and Champions League football next term is the main agenda.

"It was a surprise because I thought we were ready physically and mentally," Benitez said of the FA Cup defeat. "We had to adapt things at half-time. We conceded an early goal (in the second half), but after you could see the reaction of the team.

"That means we were ready, but you have to start from the beginning, not just the second half."

The Fulham fixture is Chelsea's 60th of a congested season, but Benitez believes the second-half revival proved fatigue is not an issue as he continues to manage his squad.

Captain John Terry and midfielder Frank Lampard were unused substitutes at Wembley, but are expected to return as Benitez rotates his options tomorrow.

"If you analyse our reaction in the second half we showed quality, character and energy," Benitez said. "To manage the squad is part of our job and still we have some legs and some determination to win games.

"We have had a lot of games and we still have nine or 10 games to play. All the squad, all the players will be important. "They (Terry and Lampard) have been important and it has to be the same until the end.

"A lot of players have done a great job and they have to do a great job until the end, all of them."

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-must-make-fast-start-against-fulham-demands-rafael-benitez-8575428.html

WhiteJC

Jol to loan keeper out next season

Fulham manager Martin Jol has confirmed goalkeeper Neil Etheridge will go out on loan next season in order to gain more first-team experience.

The 23-year-old former Chelsea man has been Jol's second-choice keeper since David Stockdale returned for a second loan spell at Hull City in January.

Etheridge spent three months on loan at Bristol Rovers earlier in the season, but Jol said: "Etheridge needs [more] experience to be the number one in the future.

"He is young, with no experience, and he will go out on loan."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/jol-to-loan-keeper-out-next-season?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol confirms major changes will take place at Fulham over the summer
Giorgos Karagounis, Mahamadou Diarra, Chris Baird, Simon
Davies, Mladen Petric and Mark Schwarzer are all out of contract in the summer

Martin Jol is expecting another summer of change to Fulham's midfield, with a host of players' futures up in the air.

After losing the likes of Clint Dempsey, Mousa Dembele and Danny Murphy last year, there again looks set to be another high turnover of midfielders at Craven Cottage.

Giorgos Karagounis, Mahamadou Diarra, Chris Baird and Simon Davies have all yet to extend their contracts past the end of the season.

The on-loan quartet of Urby Emanuelson, Emmanuel Frimpong, Stanislav Manolev and Eyong Enoh also see their stays expire in the summer, although Fulham have an option to make the latter duo's moves permanent.

Jol has some tough decisions to make over the coming months in regards to those players and knows new midfielders need to arrive ahead of the new campaign.

"If you look at the defence, I think we are fine," the Dutchman said.

"If you look at the midfield, I think Steve Sidwell is probably the only one left if you think of all the players we had six or seven months ago. We have to do something.

"Up front, Mladen Petric we will talk to him as he is on a one-year deal [which expires]..

"Sascha Riether we have an option in his loan [to make it permanent] and we will probably take that.

As well as shoring up his midfield, Jol wants to bring in a new goalkeeper.

Regular number one Mark Schwarzer has yet to sign a new deal past the summer and understudy David Stockdale, currently on loan at Hull, is frustrated at a lack of opportunities in west London.

"Mark Schwarzer is for us almost a hero," said Jol, who also today played down of a move for Athletic Bilbao defender Fernando Amorebieta.

"He saves games for us so I would like him to stay but we are looking for a goalkeeper.

"Neil Etheridge is young and has no experience. He will go on loan, 100 per cent, to gain experience to be the number one in the future.

"We have Csaba Somogyi, who was man-of-the-match four times out of the last six games at Dartford, but we still look for a goalkeeper.

"We are looking for a good goalkeeper so if Mark decides to stay I have two good goalkeepers, plus Stockdale because he is still there. I have to talk to him."

While next season is not far from his mind, Jol's immediate attention is on tomorrow's derby clash with Chelsea.

The Cottagers have a miserable record against their west London neighbours, winning just one of 23 Premier League clashes, but could be playing them at a good time given the Blues' hectic fixture schedule.

"I am not sure," Jol said about the timing. "Sometimes you have the rhythm, which gives you the advantage.

"We played on Saturday, we will play again Wednesday and then against Arsenal.

"It is about legs so it depends on who is playing. If they play the same team, that probably could help us.

"If not, they are big enough as a squad to play four or five different players and I think they probably will."

Former Chelsea midfielders Damien Duff and Sidwell will be unavailable for Fulham tomorrow through injury and suspension, respectively.

Diarra and Ashkan Dejagah are also out, although on-loan Ajax midfielder Enoh should be okay after a slight ankle complaint.

PA

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/martin-jol-confirms-major-changes-will-take-place-at-fulham-over-the-summer-8575463.html

WhiteJC

Fulham's Damien Duff out of Chelsea match

Fulham will have to make do without Damien Duff for tomorrow's West London derby against Chelsea.

The Irish winger has failed to recover from an abductor injury that he picked up early on during Saturday's 1-1 draw with Aston Villa.

Duff spent three years as a Chelsea player up until the summer of 2006 when he joined Newcastle United for £5m.

The Whites will also be without suspended midfielder Steve Sidwell, while Ashkan Dejagah and Mahamadou Diarra have been ruled out for the remainder of the season with ankle and knee problems respectively.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/fulham/news/duff-out-of-chelsea-match_79840.html

WhiteJC

Fulham Boss Martin Jol Aims To Break Run of Draws Against Chelsea

Fulham manager Martin Jol is looking to turning around past disappointments against Chelsea by getting a good result against Rafael Benitez's side, who they face at Craven Cottage on Wednesday evening.

The Cottagers have failed to record a win in their previous four matches against Chelsea, with all the clashes ending in a draw.

Hopefully we can have a good result against them on Wednesday", the Fulham boss told his club's official site.

"We need a win against them."

The Dutch manager also added that not earning a result in the previous encounters against the Blues may not have been exceptional, but he is still hopeful of better.

"We have taken four draws from them in the last four matches and that's not great, but it's not bad either, so hopefully we could get a result on Wednesday to change it."

Fulham played against Aston Villa at Villa Park last Saturday and play Chelsea tomorrow, who have suffered with fixture congestion. Something he does not feel will unduly influence the game.

"We played, of course, on Saturday, we will play again on Wednesday, and then we play against Arsenal this Saturday, so it's about legs and it depends on who's playing."

Fulham will be without midfielder Damien Duff for the game, after the Irish international was ruled out with a pelvis injury.

"He won't be available on Wednesday and I don't think he will be available against Arsenal, but things look better than we thought."

Read more at http://www.insidefutbol.com/2013/04/16/fulham-boss-martin-jol-aims-to-break-run-of-draws-against-chelsea/83707/#u347LOTQ3VRwSkFC.99

WhiteJC

Arsenal target has agreed to join another London club

Arsenal target, Fernando Amorebieta, is set to join London rivals, Fulham, from Athletic Bilbao, according to goal.com.

The website reports that the centre-back has signed a pre-contract with the Cottagers, ending hope of a switch to the Emirates.

Blow

The news comes as a blow to the Gunners, after he had been a topic of interest in Arsene Wenger's plans throughout January.

The North London side did make a last minute bid to sign him on deadline day, but after that move failed, dropped their interest to look elsewhere.

Although the move will not go through until his deal with Bilbao expires, the 28 year old is believed to have rejected offers from all over Europe, as he bids to make his mark in the Premier League.

The Venezuelan was offered a new deal at the Basque club earlier this year, but is eager to end his time with Los Leones.

Boost

However, the signing will be a massive boost at Craven Cottage. The Spain Under 19 international brings experience to the side, and will link up with Brede Hangeland, who recently signed a new deal at the club, the site reiterates.

In addition to that, Russian big-spenders, Anzhi Makhachkala were also rumoured to be interested in the Venezuela international, and Martin Jol will be buoyed by this success in the transfer market.

http://www.touchlinetalk.com/arsenal-target-has-agreed-to-join-another-london-club/45509/?

WhiteJC

What can Fulham expect from Fernando Amorebieta?

Fulham have agreed a deal for the 28-year-old defender that will see him arrive at Craven Cottage on a free this summer, and if he can overcome his disciplinary issues, Amorebieta could be an excellent signing.

Those who claim that attacking players like Lionel Messi get an easy ride in the Spanish first division have perhaps never seen Fernando Amorebieta play, with the Athletic Bilbao defender notorious for taking no prisoners on the pitch.

The Venezuelan centre back's disciplinary record has been the main blemish on his time at Bilbao, and the eleven red cards he has received whilst at the Basque club have been part of the reason why a big move has not materialised for Amorebieta, who has been linked with Arsenal and Liverpool in the past.

In the end Fulham are the club that have taken the risk of bringing Amorebieta to the Premier League, and if he can keep his rash side in check, there is no doubt that the Venezuelan is an accomplished centre back.

The 28 year old was a key part of the Athletic Bilbao side that reached the Spanish Cup and Europa League final under Marco Bielsa last season, particularly impressing in their fantastic win over Manchester United.

With Brede Hangeland recently agreeing a new two year deal, Fulham's back line is looking in fine fettle for next season, and Amorebieta brings an element of class on the ball to go alongside his sterner side.

Comfortable carrying the ball forward on playing long passes, and excellent in the air, Amorebieta has all the attributes required to be a real success for Martin Jol's side next season.

However the worry will always be that he will end up missing 5-10 games through suspension, especially as he looks to settle in a new division. Amorebieta is no doubt aware of his disciplinary record, and perhaps this move might spark a new, more restrained approach. If he does rein himself in, Amorebieta could well be a superb addition to Fulham's ranks.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/04/16/nh-what-can-fulham-expect-from-fernando-amorebieta/?

WhiteJC

Cech: Blues need Fulham response

Chelsea keeper Petr Cech has challenged his team-mates to prove they have recovered from the disappointment of their FA Cup semi-final defeat against Manchester City when they return to Premier League action against Fulham on Wednesday.

Cech has warned the hangover from Sunday's Wembley defeat needs to be banished if Chelsea are to cement their position in the top-four of the Premier League.

"For us, the disappointment of losing the semi-final against City will be a factor, and we need to make sure we are over that," Cech told the Chelsea website, chelseafc.com.

"It's a derby game, a huge game anyway, and if they win they know they are safe from relegation and can then play without pressure. It's a tough fixture for us, it always has been.

"They often raise their game at Craven Cottage, especially against us. We never find it easy to play there, but the pressure is on us now and we need to win our games to make it easier to qualify for the Champions League."

Cech is set to make his 423rd appearance in the Fulham match, and after moving ahead of Blues legends Steve Clarke (421 appearances) and Kerry Dixon (420 appearances) in the club's all-time charts, he is targeting more success in the remaining weeks of this season.

"I am pleased I am getting numbers under the belt which puts me among those fantastic players," he added. "When I got past Gianfranco Zola as the top foreign appearance maker, one of the best players ever at the club, it was a great achievement, and now I have over 400 and am climbing the ranking.

"I am pleased to have played so many, because it shows I have been the number one choice and have kept my place in the team in one of the best clubs in the world.

"It is an honour to play so many games for this club, but these statistics are not as important as the team being successful and that is what we all want in the final few weeks of the season."

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1415492?&cc=5739

WhiteJC

Schwarzer's Presence Next Season By No Means Guaranteed

Mark Schwarzer, according to The Mirror:

I have a contract until the end of the season and we will wait and see. I ­definitely want to play until the next World Cup. I have to get there first with Australia and see how we go.

Well, that's not very encouraging. Is he in talks with the club?

Not at the moment no. I'm just trying to do the best I can and we'll see what happens at the end of the season.

This is certainly something to monitor.  The Australian has been absolutely stellar the last 2 months, playing out of his mind and almost single-handedly earning Fulham a number of points with penalty saves and diving stops.

However, it's impossible to brush aside the fact Schwarzer is 40 going on 41 years of age.  His aim is to secure a number 1 keeper job anywhere to ensure he can maintain his spot on the national side heading into the 2014 World Cup.  Since he's explicitly expressed that as his goal, I'd expect him to hang up his boots after that competition, but he's smart to realize the importance of club play in keeping his national team job.

While he's been fantastic this season and it's always tough to see a player who's given so much to the club leave with time left in his career, Schwarzer's unsure frame of mind on whether he wants to return could be exactly the opening the club needs to plan for the future at his position.  Fulham are in that tough spot with a seasoned vet locked into a position he may not exactly be qualified for much longer.  It's very hard for Martin Jol to bench a player of Mark Schwarzer's stature at the club, but now this would give him a reason to look elsewhere and in the long run may be important for the club.

There are upsides and downsides to the Australian both leaving or staying, but whatever happens, his contributions to the Craven Cottage faithful will not be overlooked or forgotten.

Schwarzer will have to be replaced as well if he leaves.  It would seem Fulham will not be able to retain both David Stockdale and Schwarzer, as both are capable of starting elsewhere and know it.  Stockdale hasn't had much of an opportunity this season, but the few moments he had earlier in the year were not his brightest.  It seems Martin Jol doesn't exactly fancy the Englishman, although if Schwarzer departs he may be the easiest – and therefore cheapest – option.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2013/04/16/schwarzers-presence-next-season-by-no-means-guaranteed/?

WhiteJC

Fulham vs. Chelsea: Begin The Gauntlet

The Manager has told me all about our games with Chelsea, and it would make us very happy if we can get the result. It's a chance to create a bit of history, because these are the matches that the fans remember especially. The atmosphere is always good in these types of matches, they're very noisy and that adds to the experience. I'm sure Craven Cottage will be full and the supporters will be there getting right behind the team.

Urby Emanuelson is ready for the derby.  With a midweek derby at Craven Cottage, arguably the toughest stretch on the Fulham fixture list begins tonight under the lights against Chelsea.  Fulham couldn't have picked a better time to welcome Rafa Benitez's clan into the friendly confines, as their away form is about as horrid as it could possibly be for a top-5 club at the moment.

State of Fulham:

The Whites reverted back to their away form of old the last two matches, playing odd lineups and shooting for 1 point instead of 3.  Martin Jol's tactics seemed uncharacteristically defensive as opposed to home matches, which seems to contribute to the poor away form.  I've never been a fan of changing tactics completely when on the road as opposed to home.

Either way, the return to Craven Cottage is a welcome one.  Fulham sit on 40 points and 10th in the table, 1 point behind Swansea and 3 back of West Brom, although Southampton and West Ham are 2 points back in the rear view mirror.

This is possibly the toughest stretch on their league schedule of the season.  Chelsea visit Craven Cottage, and then they host Arsenal 3 days later before heading out on the road to Merseyside, where Fulham have had exactly zero success in the past.  The only consolation is that 4 of the next 5 matches are in the friendly confines.

This is Steve Sidwell's last suspension match for his straight red a few weeks ago.  He'll be ready to go on the weekend.  As for injuries, Damien Duff is out with the thigh strain he suffered against Villa, but that's about it other than the usual long-term absentees of Mahamadou Diarra and Ashkan Dejagah, both of whom are out for the season.  Enoh had some trouble with his ankle in training, but Jol says he's fit.  Don't be surprised if Frimpong starts with Enoh on the bench, but I've said that the last 2 matches and Enoh's gotten the nod so who knows.

State of Chelsea:

"For us, the disappointment of losing the semi-final against City will be a factor, and we need to make sure we are over that.  It's a derby game, a huge game anyway, and if they win they know they are safe from relegation and can then play without pressure. It's a tough fixture for us, it always has been. They often raise their game at Craven Cottage, especially against us. We never find it easy to play there, but the pressure is on us now." -Petr Cech

Fulham couldn't have picked a better time to have their match with Chelsea rescheduled to. The Blues have lost their last 3 away matches, and are coming off a defeat to Manchester City in the FA Cup.  This will be Chelsea's 60th match of the season in all competitions, but Jol is correct when he says they have the depth to pull that off.

The Blues will be missing both Ashley Cole and Gary Cahill, and Marko Marin is a gametime decision after picking up a knock in training.  Oriol Romeu is a long-term absentee with a knee injury.

EA Sports Stats of the Week:

-Fulham have drawn in their last 4 league meetings with Chelsea.

-Frank Lampard has scored 6 league goals at Fulham.  The only place he's scored more is Bolton's Reebok Stadium.

-Demba Ba is the only Chelsea player with 100 or more shots on goal this season.

-On the heels of the Aston Villa draw, Fulham have benefited from 5 own goals this season, most in the league along with Manchester United.

888sport.com Lines of the Week:

-Frank Lampard to score: 2/1
On the heels of the stat I gave you above, it's not farfetched at all.  Maybe Martin Jol wants to take a second look at Lampard after seeing his Craven Cottage scoring record.

-Draw or Chelsea: 1/5
OH MAN WE'RE HIGH ROLLERS HERE. The last time Fulham beat Chelsea? A 1-0 victory at the Cottage in 2006 when Luis Boa Morte scored. In fact, that's the only Fulham win over Chelsea in league or cup play in the last THIRTY-TWO YEARS. Safe money there.

-Halftime/Full time – Fulham/Draw: 14/1
Fulham would be 5th in the league if matches ended at halftime.  That's reason enough to grab 14/1 odds here.  Great value.

Prediction: As much as I would like to see Fulham grab points from this, I certainly don't believe Chelsea will go to their 4th straight away defeat, and even a point will be tough with Cech, Ba, and Torres all in form.  Going with 2-1 Chelsea snatching victory at the Cottage.  Fulham have it in them to pull this off, I just don't see it ultimately happening.

I leave you with Rafa Benitez's thoughts on the derby:

"Fulham are a very good team, you can see the level they've been at in the Premier League for a while. Derbies are different, anything can happen."

Let's hope anything can and will happen.

http://fulhamsfinest.com/2013/04/17/fulham-vs-chelsea-begin-the-gauntlet/?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Fulham entertain west London rivals Chelsea

Derby day arrives at Craven Cottage on Wednesday, with Fulham set to play host to west London neighbours Chelsea.

The Cottagers have reached the 40-point mark for the season, so can rest a little easier with Premier League football wrapped up for another year.

The target for Martin Jol's side now is preserving a top-half standing, with the club looking upwards rather than over their shoulder.

A run which has brought only one defeat in their last seven suggests they are in good shape heading into a midweek meeting with illustrious rivals from down the road.

Chelsea will make the short journey to the banks of the Thames still licking the wounds suffered during an FA Cup semi-final defeat to Manchester City at Wembley on Sunday.

They cannot afford to feel too disheartened, though, with a top-four finish far from guaranteed.

The Blues sit fourth at present, but only goal difference is keeping them above Tottenham Hotspur.

Their record against Fulham bodes well, having suffered just one derby defeat during the Premier League era, and victory on Wednesday would lift them back above Arsenal into third place.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/285064/preview?

WhiteJC

Jol's Derby Hope

Manager Martin Jol insists that his Fulham players know the size of the task that faces them as they prepare to take on Chelsea in the SW6 derby on Wednesday night.

The Whites, currently in 10th position with 40 points on the board, can have a big say in who finishes in the top four this season as they entertain both Chelsea and Arsenal at the Cottage in quick succession. But the Dutchman claims that his players need no further motivation to get results against other London sides.

"There could be a little discussion about QPR," he said when it was put to him that beating Chelsea would be the 'ultimate victory'. "But I feel that Chelsea being in the Fulham area makes this the biggest derby and the players know that.

"We have players here like Mark Schwarzer, Brede Hangeland, and Aaron Hughes, who have been here for years and they know how important it is."

With Chelsea playing in the FA Cup with Budweiser against Manchester City at the weekend, the Blues opted to rest stalwarts Frank Lampard and John Terry in preparation for the derby. Jol, though, is not thinking about specific players as he believes all of the Chelsea squad are dangerous, despite their busy schedule.

"There are a few good players at Chelsea," he said. "The only thing I thought was maybe that they can score a goal [against City], make an equaliser and play for another half an hour [in extra-time] - that would have been nice. But that was the only thing that was in my mind as, no matter what, they will have 11 very good players on the pitch against us.

"Terry is a legend, so he will probably play. I've got a feeling Lampard will play; I also have a sneaky feeling [Fernando] Torres will play as well. I could go on as there are maybe five or six, so they have got a very good squad."

With the climax of the Barclays Premier League season little more than a month away, the usual transfer speculation surrounding top flight clubs has begun and while Jol admits he is still keen to ensure that the Fulham squad's average age is lowered, he also challenged some of his younger players to step up to the mark.

"Of course you can have a philosophy to lower the average age but you have to be realistic as well," he said. "If there are not players who are 20 or 21 from the reserve team who are good enough then you have to be happy with the players you have got.

"I feel that necessity is the mother of invention. I have a few youngsters but they have to do well. [Matthew] Briggs is a youngster who has played at a couple of loan clubs, but he has to do well because if you do not then you can't expect me to play you in the first team. Kaca [Alexander Kačaniklić] did okay, but they have to work hard and develop themselves; Kerim Frei is another. I've got Chris David who will be one of them, but they have to prove they are as good as someone already in the squad."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/17/jols-derby-hope?

WhiteJC

Match Centre Revamp

The Club is pleased to announce that between now and the end of the season, our Match Centre will be home to three new tabs to give you even greater statistical detail on each Fulham game.

The Match Centre already provides team information and player comparisons, but now we can introduce the Average Player Position, Chalkboard, and Heatmap tabs, which will each update automatically as matches progress.

Check out our guide below to see the new range of information that will be available to you for every Fulham match from the 2012/13 season.
Average Player Position
This tab lets you see where particular players find themselves on the pitch throughout the game – with the home side depicted by the white and blue icons, and the away side grey and yellow. Then, when the final whistle blows, the icons will freeze to illustrate where each player spent the most time over the course of the match. Click on the icon to see which player it represents – although you'll probably know the Fulham ones by their squad numbers.

The screenshot below depicts the average player positions from our New Year's Day win at West Bromwich Albion. It proves that our matchwinner that day, Alexander Kačaniklić (31), was our most forward player over the course of the 90 minutes, and that Aaron Hughes (18) stuck to West Brom dangerman Romelu Lukaku (20) like glue.

Chalkboard
This is our most interactive feature within the Match Centre, with a seemingly endless array of options to play around with. Select as few or as many players as you wish from both teams to examine attempts on goal, distribution, fouls, dribbles and tackles, as well as a selection of options for goalkeepers.

Below is a screenshot of the chalkboard from our opening day 5-0 victory over Norwich City at Craven Cottage, with goals, shots on and off target, and assists all selected.

Heatmap
The heatmap tab is a visual delight that demonstrates which areas of the pitch see the most action during each game. It is defaulted to show all 22 players' locations throughout the match, so simply unclick the box next to the team names to create a blank canvas. Then, choose which player(s) you want to analyse by clicking the square next to their name. The darker the patch on the field, the more time the player spent in that area.

This screenshot shows the colossal effort shown by Sascha Riether in our 3-3 draw with Arsenal at the Emirates earlier in the season. The intensity of the green patches all along the touchline demonstrate the work rate of the full back both defensively and going forward.

Wednesday evening's match against Chelsea will be the first time these new additions are live during a game so make sure you head over to the Match Centre if you're not at the Cottage.

With all the statistics you could possibly need, and with Gentleman Jim providing live commentary from the game, the official Fulham Match Centre is the place to be for fans who couldn't make the trip! And if you are in SW6 for derby day, make sure you head over to the Match Centre when you get home for a full statistical review of what promises to be an enthralling clash down by the Thames.

In the meantime, check out some of our matches from earlier in the season as they now all boast these exciting new tabs.

Supporters are advised not to use older versions of Internet Explorer to try and view the new additions to the Match Centre for functionality reasons, while they will also not show up if you attempt to use an iPhone to view the Match Centre.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/april/17/match-centre-revamp?