watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sparky Coy on Everton, talk about ambition

Started by Azeedo, May 09, 2013, 11:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azeedo

So Mark Hughes is basically begging to get this job, does he have a chance?  :49: AMBITION an ardent desire for rank, fame, or power. b : desire to achieve a particular end.  Poor bastard

Alfayedslovechild

I have a bit of a soft spot for Everton so I'm hoping he doesn't get it. If he does, it will change my whole outlook on the club.

Saying that, I think Everton have a bit more savy than to give him the job.

My money is on the other sweaty sock Lennon.

HatterDon

Things would have been so much better for Fulham if MAF hadn't pushed Hughes out the door in order to sign Jol.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RaySmith

Hughes is tainted by the way he walked out on us, and his time at QPR.

Lennon has no Prem experience does he? a bit different managing in Sccotland - but then , look at Fergie at Aberdeen before he came to Man U -but he did well to take a side outside the big firm  to major honours.

It could be Martinez, as being a young manager in the Moyes mold - though I'm not sure that he is myself.

They like continuity at Everton , though, unlike Fulham - though Roy might still be with us if he hadn't left - so it would  be someone reliable, who they think will be in it for the long term.

MJG

Quote from: HatterDon on May 10, 2013, 04:42:34 AM
Things would have been so much better for Fulham if MAF hadn't pushed Hughes out the door in order to sign Jol.
I think on a financal front we would be worse off. One of Hughes's targets for his second season was SWP on 70K a week. We dodged a buillet big time when he left and I for one was glad it happened.

Burt

Problem with Sparky as well was that you just felt he was using us as a stepping stone. There was no empathy or loyalty there at all. I couldn't warm to the guy. Glad when he moved on.

Lighthouse

Problem with Hughes is we played a bit more attacking football near the end of his time and his comment about ambition proved right. Fulham had no intention of investing in todays squad. Hughes then made the really big mistake of going to QPR and proving money couldn't buy you success.

Silly to leave us but he did so for the right reasons as it happened.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

mangoputney

hope he gets it, we should break our jinx at Goodison
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

St Eve

Quote from: MJG on May 10, 2013, 06:48:11 AM
I think on a financal front we would be worse off. One of Hughes's targets for his second season was SWP on 70K a week. We dodged a buillet big time when he left and I for one was glad it happened.
Agree. Maybe MAF was a lot smarter than most

Lighthouse

Quote from: St Eve on May 10, 2013, 02:10:40 PM
Quote from: MJG on May 10, 2013, 06:48:11 AM
Agree. Maybe MAF was a lot smarter than most
Hughes left because of the lack of finance. So he dodged the bullet not us. We can go on about him being poor in the transfer market but he did ok when he was here. Now however we have a bunch of old men and a manager who has no idea what to do with them. Yes we are better off not spending money on the financial front. But oh how short sighted. We hope we can keep the youth  players and they go on to play for us. But if they are any good they will be poached by bigger clubs. We will then have the finance to do what exactly? Panic in the transfer market like QPR did if we end up struggling again?

Baider

Knowing Everton I could imagine them making a really boring appointment, like promoting their assistant manager Steve Round to take the job

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Alfayedslovechild on May 09, 2013, 11:46:02 PM
I have a bit of a soft spot for Everton so I'm hoping he doesn't get it. If he does, it will change my whole outlook on the club.

Saying that, I think Everton have a bit more savy than to give him the job.

My money is on the other sweaty sock Lennon.

:plus one:

I also have a soft spot for Everton and do not deserve a 'manager who has lost his spark' (well said MAF  :Haynes The Maestro:

jmh

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 10, 2013, 02:27:53 PM
Hughes left because of the lack of finance. So he dodged the bullet not us.
Did he?  He went and spent a crapload of money at QPR and contributed to getting them relegated; Fulham spent less money but did so wisely (Dejagah, Riether, Karagounis for example) and will amost certainly still be in the Premier League next season.  Seems like it worked out better for us.

Burt

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 10, 2013, 10:17:48 AM
Problem with Hughes is we played a bit more attacking football near the end of his time and his comment about ambition proved right. Fulham had no intention of investing in todays squad. Hughes then made the really big mistake of going to QPR and proving money couldn't buy you success.

Silly to leave us but he did so for the right reasons as it happened.

Depends on which side of the fence you view "ambition" from.

From the club's perspective, the ambition is to remain in the premier league, but live within our means. Fiscal prudence.

From Sparky's perspective, the ambition was to remain in the premier league but invest to compete with the big boys. Fiscal suicide to a club of our size (as QPR are finding out) but not necessarily to the likes of Man City, whose owners were cash rich and splashing it about.

The irony is, if he lowered his ambition to match his capabilities and the resources the club was prepared to make available to him, he may have done quite well here.

Lighthouse

Hughes took over a poor squad at  QPR and over spent on trying to keep them in the Prem. Harry tried to spend even more and failed. There is a happy medium between spending and what Fulham did. Unless scraping survival is all we want to do now. Which may be the height of our ambition.
Had we spent money on a forward and a central midfield player then we may well have matched Hughes and HIS ambition. We may have also been a bit more entertaining to watch as well. Had Hughes stayed and was unable to spend money then would he have done as poorly as Jol? We will never know.

For every horrible game under Hughes we have had many more under Jol. Hughes left us saying we lacked his ambition. All this has proved right with our lack of spending. I was sorry then and am sorry now that we have had to put up with lack of ambition on and off the pitch this season.

Fulham1959