more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (17/05/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 17, 2013, 04:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Marcello Trotta – A defining moment in his career

I can't be the only one who has had premonitions about Marcello Trotta scoring the winning goal at Wembley on Sunday – it seems that all Brentford's planets have re-aligned after 'that' penalty miss against Doncaster – with coincidence and irony combining to negate previous bad fortune it would appear.

Marcello's Brentford career has seen as many twists and turns as the Bees' season itself – important goals and critical assists against Chelsea, Sheffield United and Swindon Town jump out – but there have also been times when he's been hauled off at half-time with a flea in his ear.

But the way he's bounced back from the Donny nightmare has been a credit, not only to the young Italian himself, but also to the club for handling the situation with such professionalism and respect, as well as the fans for seeing the bigger picture. The ovation he received when substituted in the play-off match at Griffin Park will live long in the memory.

I'll also always remember the look of fear and trepidation etched across his face as the Beesotted crew walked over to him as he arrived at the Big Red Ball... our intentions were wholly good obviously and we held out our hands to offered some sort of consolation, as did many other fans that night... Yes, we'd all dearly love to change that moment in history where he refused to give Kevin O'Connor the ball, but we move on, we have to.

Uwe Rosler spoke briefly about Trotta after the Swindon penalty shot-out, saying: "I don't really want to single anyone out after that, but a lot of players would have struggled to cope with what Marcello Trotta went through after the Doncaster game. Today was a defining moment in his career."

And in today's Evening Standard the Fulham loanee looks back at the past few weeks and reflects: "You feel very disappointed [after the Doncaster game] and you want to give something back to the team and the fans... The supporters have been great, even after the Doncaster game they have been great in supporting the team and me... We have got another game to go. I think the lads have put in a great effort. They have done unbelievably well. As a team, I think they are great." There are also hints that he is interested in signing for Brentford full-time next season.

If selected, we can only hope that the desire to 'give something back' that he speaks of extends to finding the net at least once against Yeovil Town and setting up a few for his team-mates.

http://beesotted.co.uk/?p=7940&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=marcello-trotta-a-defining-moment-in-his-career

WhiteJC

Riise keen to end Fulham slump

John Arne Riise admits Fulham have not been good enough recently and need to end the season on a high.

After losing a number of key players last summer, the west Londoners have endured a topsy-turvy campaign that has dramatically tailed off.

Safety might already be secured heading into the final-day clash with Swansea but they head to the Liberty Stadium bottom of the Premier League form table.

Martin Jol's side have lost their past five matches and have not won since beating QPR on April 1 - a run left-back Riise accepts is appalling.

"It's a very tough place to go," he said ahead of the trip to Swansea

"They've had a bit of a slump after winning the League Cup but they're still a great side. It's a hard place to play but we want to finish on a high.

"We don't want to end the season having taken just one point from the last eight games - that's not what Fulham is about.

"Hopefully we'll have a good week in training, get our energy back and finish on a good note.

"We're not thinking about our holidays yet - now is not the time, we've still got a game of football to play.

"We're on a bad run of form and we want to end that so we go into the summer in a good frame of mind."

Unlike before, Riise will not have international football to distract him this summer after recently calling time on his career with Norway.

The 32-year-old is the country's most capped player with 110 appearances spanning a 13-year career.

"It was a very tough thing for me to do," Riise told the club's official website.

"Physically I'm very strong and I plan to carry on playing football for many more years.

"But all the travelling with the national team was starting to take its toll and I want next season with Fulham to be my best. I want to be really fit and focus just on Fulham.

"I want to play well and earn a new contract so I can stay here longer.

"It's been my dream to play for the national team and I've loved it but I need to really just think about my club career and focus on Fulham, my family and my kids.

"I've got the record of 110 national caps and it was a professional choice. I have to look after my body and I want to play on until I'm 37 or 38 so it was something I felt I had to do."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/312/8716361/-?

WhiteJC

Fulham take up defender option

Fulham have taken up a £1.1million option to sign on-loan right back Sasha Reither from FC Cologne at the end of the season.

The option was part of the original loan deal done last summer but Fulham wanted to see how well the 30-year-old did in adapting to life in England and the tempo of the Premier League. Reither has been one of Fulham's most consistent performers this season and has made 34 appearances in the league, alongside Brede Hangeland - the most of any outfield player in Martin Jol's squad. The deal is likely to be ratified when the summer transfer window opens.

Read more at: http://www.clubcall.com/fulham/fulham-take-up-defender-option-1590796.html?

WhiteJC

Jol may give Simon Davies chance to prove fitness

Martin Jol has suggested Simon Davies still has a bit to prove if he is to offer the long-serving midfielder a new deal.

The Fulham boss admits that the 33-year-old's fitness record will be a factor in the decision taken when Davies' contract expires in the summer after an injury-ravaged couple of seasons at Craven Cottage.

The Welsh winger was restricted to just seven appearances last campaign, but hasn't featured at all this time around after struggling to overcome a hip problem.

Jol told the Fulham Chronicle: "The thing with Simon is as long as I was here he was never fully-fit for more than two or three weeks, and that's a problem.

"When he was fit he was a wonderful player but if he's not fit we've got a problem, so we've got to sit down with him and talk about it."

Jol has offered the former Peterborough man use of the club's Motspur Park training facilities if he wants to try to regain his fitness for another contract.

The manager added: "We will look after Simon and, of course, he can stay here as long as he needs to get fit, but it's about him as well.

"He has to make his mind up about his own fitness and if he wants to play again."

Davies has made 169 appearances for Fulham since his arrival from Everton in 2007, scoring 17 goals.

http://www.footballfancast.com/premiership/fulham/jol-may-give-simon-davies-chance-to-prove-fitness?

WhiteJC

Premier League: Sascha Riether agrees permanent deal with Fulham

German right-back Sascha Riether has joined Fulham on a permanent transfer, Cologne have confirmed.

With the Bundesliga outfit relegated last year, the 30-year-old arrived at Craven Cottage on a season-long loan in July.

And it has been announced that Riether has agreed a new deal with Martin Jol's side on Thursday, for an undisclosed fee.

After an impressive first season in the Premier League, the Germany international has been invaluable for the Cottagers.

Claiming the full back spot as his own despite pressure from Chris Baird and Stanislav Manolev, Riether's signing will come as a relief to Fulham fans.

On leaving Cologne, he said: "Thanks to the FC. The club and the city have grown on me during my time in the Cologne.

"I am pleased after a first season in England and am focused on my other tasks in Fulham. I wish FC Cologne only the best and the imminent promotion to the Bundesliga."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11681/8716534?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss Jol moves quickly to sign defender Riether after impressive loan spell

Sascha Riether has joined Fulham on a permanent transfer for £1.3m from Bundeslia side Cologne.

The 30-year-old has been on loan at the Whites this season, becoming a key part of manager Martin Jol's side.

Influential: Sascha Riether was named players' player of the year this season

The right back, who was named the players' player of the year, has made 34 league appearances and represented Germany twice during his career.

Riether thanked his former employers - currently in the second tier of German football - before looking to push on with his new side next season.

Boost: Martin Jol moved quickly to sign defender Riether

'Thanks to the FC,' he told the club's official website. 'The club and the city have grown on me during my time in the Cologne.

'I am pleased after a first season in England and am focused on my other tasks in Fulham. I wish FC Cologne only the best and the imminent promotion to the Bundesliga.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2325683/Fulham-sign-defender-Sascha-Riether-impressive-loan-spell.html#ixzz2TW8ysZv0
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Is Berbatov Right For Fulham?

Dimitar Berbatov is Fulham's Player of the Season, but is the influence of our magic number 9 as productive as it would seem?

There is no doubt that Dimitar Berbatov is one of the most technically gifted players to ever adorn the Fulham shirt. His first touch is immaculate, his finesse sublime, and he has an aura - a strut in his step, like a football playing 007.

I can't ever remember being as excited for a signing before. Learning that Dimitar Berbatov had boarded a plane back from Florence, after snubbing AFC Fioretina, to come and play for the Whites, was unbelievable.

In some sense he has lived up to his reputation. His volleyed goal against Stoke was the work of a footballing magician. His influence and goals away at Arsenal inspired a great team performance, and his display at home to QPR helped bring the bragging rights back to SW6.

This said, however, not everything has been plain sailing with our number 9. His petulant wailing of the arms when play doesn't go his way is both irritating and patronising. It presents him as separate from the squad, as if in his eyes, the starting eleven is made up ten men and one superstar.

In lifting his shirt to brandish the message, "keep calm and pass me the ball", he not only disrespected his team-mates, but also suggested to the footballing world that Fulham are a team indebted to the services of one-man. Services that could have been deployed elsewhere.

For me Dimitar Berbatov is a luxury player. He is a player who I am happy to have and one that I enjoy watching. While his profile raises the club's, he needs to remember that he is still only one part of it, like the rest of the squad.

What made Fulham so successful in our Europa League campaign a few years ago was not an array of glitzy names, but a solid foundation of like-minded players, and a hard work ethic. I feel that as a club we've let this go.

Naming Berbatov Player of the Year, an award I feel belonged to Sascha Riether, has only encouraged him to view himself as superior to the rest of the squad.

As his position as a Fulham player will no doubt come under threat this summer, it is difficult to comment on how to address this situation. If he goes, then he will certainly need replacing. If he stays, then unity must be restored.

A single player cannot dictate a team, and as fans, we cannot put our sole trust in the sheer presence of Berbatov securing our status in the top-flight. If things carry on the way they are, we are in danger of seeing our recent woeful form continue next season.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2013/5/16/4337390/fulham-right-berbatov-riether-arsenal?

WhiteJC

Parking the Gus: Poyet suspended by Brighton amid talk he'll succeed Moyes as Everton manager

Uruguayan who's set to leave the Championship club has been banned by angry chairman and told not to contact his players

Brighton have sensationally suspended boss Gus Poyet and banned him from the club.

Poyet and his assistants, Mauricio Taricco and Charlie Oatway, have all been instructed to stay away by the Championship side.

They have also been ordered not to contact any of Albion's players, after Poyet told the squad he was likely to quit.

The 45-year-old informed the players of his decision on Tuesday - the day after their Championship play-off exit at the hands of arch-rivals Crystal Palace.

Poyet feels he has taken the club as far as he can, after being told the budget for next season was just £10million.

Angry chairman Tony Bloom has now responded by suspending Poyet in a messy row which effectively ends the Uruguyan's reign.

A parting is inevitable with Poyet in the frame for both the Fulham and Everton jobs - and possibly Stoke too if Tony Pulis leaves after a difficult season.

Former Chelsea and Tottenham star Poyet is highly-rated thanks to the job he has done at the Seagulls since taking charge in 2009.

Brighton were in League One and playing at the humble Withdean Stadium then, but he took them up to the Championship, where they finished fourth this season.

Poyet is ambitious to manage in the Premier League and feels he has earned a crack after success at Brighton despite one of the smaller budgets.

He has a £2million compensation clause in a five-year contract signed in September 2011.

Although Poyet turned down a switch to the Premier League with since-relegated Reading in March, he is now certain to leave Brighton.

The Mirror, who revealed on Tuesday that Poyet was set to leave, contacted Brighton for a response, but they declined to comment.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-fulham-candidate-gus-poyet-1893586?#ixzz2TW9qkNXu
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

WhiteJC

The Curse Of Ashkan Dejagah Takes Over The End Of The Fulham Season

Fulham have had an up and down season that has been very hard to predict. Just as they were playing arguably their best football this season, the club suffered an injury to a surprise key player. The end of the Fulham season became the curse of Ashkan Dejagah.

Dejagah came to Fulham at the end of August from Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga, and he is a 26 year old right winger. He did not play right away, as he was dealing with an injury when he joined the club. By the new year, Dejagah was starting to make an impact, and he was improving almost every match.

You could see the chemistry really building down the right side with him and right back Sascha Riether, who he played with a few years back at Wolfsburg. You saw the partnership totally on display in the upset of Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane on March 17th, as the two were instrumental in setting up Dimitar Berbatov with the goal that gave Fulham the victory.

The Spurs victory looked like the positive turning point for the Fulham season, and it looked possible they would end the season very strong. However, in the very next match, Fulham took an early lead against QPR and it looked like they would be continuing their fine form. However, in the middle of the first half, Dejagah got injured, and was replaced for the rest of the match.

When Dejagah went off, you could see a change with the team, and honestly they barely held on for a crucial 3-2 victory. At the time, I was thinking Fulham could overcome this injury to Dejagah. Well, unfortunately Dejagah's injury was season ending, and did have a huge impact on the rest of the season.

Fulham have only gained four points since Dejagah went down, and that also includes the match where he played and got injured in. The end of the season has gone downhill seriously without Dejagah.

Now, my point is not that Dejagah is a great player, because he is not at an elite level. However, he has become a key player that really started to create scoring opportunities for himself and his teammates. Fulham have struggled to score goals this season, and I think it got even harder to score without Dejagah, and his partnership on the right side with Riether.

My point is that Fulham this season have shown very little ability to overcome adversity. Whenever there has been an issue with a player, there hasn't been someone else their to pick up the slack.

One of the wonderful qualities of the 2009-2010 Fulham team that got to the Europa League Final was their ability to fight through adversity, and overcome problems. How many times did that club come from behind?

A huge problem for the 2012-2013 team has been the lack of depth. When they have had an injury or a suspension, they have really struggled to find the right person to step up when needed.

I don't think it is a coincidence either that every down-turn this season has involved a key player not being available. It started with the suspension to Brede Hangeland for three matches which seriously caused so many problems in future matches. Steve Sidwell has gotten two red cards back to back, and not having his toughness in central midfield has been a serious issue at the end of the season along with the injury to Dejagah.

The loss of Dejagah to injury exposed the fragile state of Fulham this season, and really started the last downturn in these final matches. However, the positive that could come out of this poor ending could be the needs for Fulham for next season.

Fulham really need to strengthen in all levels of the pitch, and maybe this last downturn will force serious moves to be made to finally push Fulham forward. Fulham are in survival mode, and it does not have to be that way. They need to take a strong look at this club for next season so they don't end up in the same or worse situation.

It has been a painful end to the Fulham season. My hope is that the curse of Ashkan Dejagah becomes a blessing in disguise, and forces real change for Fulham Football Club in the future.

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2013/5/16/4337766/the-curse-of-ashkan-dejagah-takes-over-the-end-of-the-fulham-season?

WhiteJC

Bakary Sako on the verge of Fulham move

BAKARY SAKO is set to join Fulham – after the move was revealed by one of his Wolves team-mates.

Bakary Sako is on his way out

Georg Margreitter gave an interview with a newspaper in his homeland of Austria when he said of the winger: "Bakary now goes for a few million to Fulham. Not bad for a loser."

Defender Sascha Riether has joined Fulham on a permanent transfer for an undisclosed fee from Cologne.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/400203/Bakary-Sako-on-the-verge-of-Fulham-move?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-express-football-news+%28Daily+Express+%3A%3A+Football+Feed%29

WhiteJC

Staying!

In recent days there has been intense speculation relating to the possibility that Martin Jol may be replaced at Craven Cottage.

Amongst the potential candidates named as possible replacements for Jol are Roberto Di Matteo and Gus Poyet

However, it should be pointed out that it may all be a load of hot-air with the Evening Standard, last night, ran with the inference that Jol will remain in his current role next season, despite our awful finish to the season.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=319689#ixzz2TYlfjAy0

WhiteJC

The Final Hurdle

Our Under-18s will contest their third consecutive Barclays U18 Premier League Final when they take on Reading at Craven Cottage on Sunday (1pm).

Steve Wigley's side made it through to Sunday's showpiece following an exciting 4-3 defeat of Sunderland on Wednesday evening. Goals from Moussa Dembele, Cauley Woodrow, Patrick Roberts and Stephen Arthurworrey had put the Whites into a commanding position, before the Black Cats hit back with three late strikes.

The Royals made it through on the back of 11 straight victories, with their 4-0 Semi-Final win over Everton capping a fine run for the Berkshire club. Jack Stacey, Dominic Hyam and Craig Tanner (2) were all on target.

Wigley knows all about his side's opponents, with both teams qualifying for the Semi-Finals from the Elite Group – Fulham as champions and Reading as runners-up.

In February, a Dembele (pictured) hat-trick earned the Whites a 3-1 win at Motspur Park. However, in the reverse fixture in March, it was the Royals that came out on top in a 3-1 victory at Hogwood Park. Muamer Tankovic netted Fulham's goal.

"In essence it boils down to a game between the top two teams from the Elite Group," explained Under-18 Manager Steve Wigley. "Goal difference separated us and Reading so it was close – Sunday's game could well reflect that. We beat them at Motspur Park and were the better side, but that said, they won the game at their place fair and square. We go head-to-head again, and this time we're playing for the national title.

"Reading are a decent side; they're powerful and a real threat from set pieces. We know that they're in fine form, but we know what we're capable of. This group of players have been fabulous this year; we've produced some quality football – football that was as good as you'll have seen anywhere at this level.

"We wanted to take that right to the very end, we wanted something to play for and we've achieved that. We're playing on a lovely pitch at the Cottage and it's a great opportunity for our boys to show what they can do. It's also a good chance for our fans to see the talent that's coming through and hopefully they won't be disappointed."

Last May, Fulham were crowned National champions following a 2-0 Final defeat of Blackburn Rovers, having lost narrowly in the same venue against Everton a year before in the 2011 showdown.

"It's our third Final, and like the previous games – this will be tough," added Academy Director Huw Jennings. "It's pleasing that the two top teams from the Elite Group have made it to the Final. Credit to Reading, because they have finished the season very strongly and en route to the Final they've won 11 straight matches; like ourselves they deserve the opportunity to play for Sunday's trophy.

"This will be the third time that we've faced them this season, and so far, it has been even-steven. Of course, we have the home advantage and I'm sure our fans will get behind the boys once more. I hope we can play to our full potential. When we do, we know that we'll always cause teams problems. For 75 minutes against Sunderland on Wednesday we did just that, but for the last 15 we let things slip. Hopefully we can learn from that experience; they know that they have to keep on until the very end.

"Our consistency over the past three years has been very pleasing, and it's great that we're part of games like this. At the end of the day, though, it's still very much all about individual development and the opportunities that we can create for our players to succeed. It's a great testament to our staff too. They don't set out ahead of a new season to win finals and trophies – it's not about team glory. But what they do is set incredibly high standards and when the players respond to that, results follow."

If you wish to attend Sunday's game against Reading at Craven Cottage you can come along for free with tickets issued at turnstiles 38-41 of the Hammersmith End – with fans seated in the Riverside End. Turnstiles will be open from 11.45am, with the game going to extra-time and penalties if required. A free programme will also be available on the day.

You can also follow the Club's official Twitter account @fulhamfc for live coverage and post-match reaction.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/17/u18s-reading-preview?

WhiteJC

adidas Announcement

Fulham Football Club has confirmed a new long-term partnership with adidas, which will see the global sportswear brand become the Club's official technical kit supplier.

Fulham join an exclusive list of clubs who benefit from a partnership with adidas, including Real Madrid, AC Milan and Bayern Munich, as well as several other Barclays Premier League teams.

Fulham CEO Alistair Mackintosh said: "adidas has a fantastic football heritage and tradition and I know that we will work well together. The synergy between the two organisations has led to a partnership that promises both brands a platform on which to achieve success.

"We are looking forward to producing a range of products that the fans will be proud to wear and featuring adidas technologies such as ClimaCool and ClimaLite."

adidas senior Manager Commercial Clubs, Steve Holland, said: "Fulham is a very welcome partner to adidas' strong portfolio of football clubs both globally and in the UK. We share a successful history together and look forward to an exciting, long and rewarding future partnership."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/17/adidas-announcement?

WhiteJC

Fulham safe but £5m fight means there is plenty to play for

With their place in next season's Premier League confirmed, Fulham seemingly have nothing to play for.

But the difference between winning and losing at Swansea on Sunday could be £5million.

The club who finish bottom of the Premier League will receive £755,000 in merit payments and that figure increases by the same amount for each place with champions Manchester United pocketing £15.1m.

Fulham are 15th in the table, which is worth £4.53m but if they win and other results go their way they could climb as high as 10th, receiving £8.30m.

A victory would move them up at least one place as they will overtake either Southampton or Stoke, who play each other, and they will leapfrog both if there is a draw at St Mary's Stadium.

Fulham will also hope Newcastle fail to beat Arsenal, Norwich get no more than a point at Manchester City and West Ham lose at home to Reading. Martin Jol's side also need a three-goal swing to overtake the Hammers.

However, if they lose at Swansea, Fulham would drop to 17th if Aston Villa get at least a point at home to Wigan and Sunderland do likewise at Tottenham. That would see the merit money drop to £3.02m, a blow for manager Jol, who has concerns over this summer's transfer budget.

West Ham need a win to make sure of 10th but a defeat could see them sink to 14th, costing them £3m. Queens Park Rangers will hope West Ham see off Reading as that would mean Harry Redknapp's side would come off the bottom of the table with victory at Liverpool.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/fulham-safe-but-5m-fight-means-there-is-plenty-to-play-for-8620435.html

WhiteJC

Berbatov's Accolade

Dimitar Berbatov spoke to Fulham TV after being presented with the Club's 2012/13 Player of the Season award on Friday.

Following our match with Liverpool on Sunday, it was announced that Fulham's Player of the Season for the 2012/13 campaign was Dimitar Berbatov.

The Bulgarian – who arrived at Fulham on transfer deadline day back in August – has been an integral part of Martin Jol's side this season, finding the back of the net on no less than 14 occasions.

The top three players in the voting are all new arrivals at Craven Cottage this season, with Sascha Riether taking third following his sterling debut campaign in SW6, while Giorgos Karagounis came second courtesy of a series of tireless and committed performances.

Berbatov was a comfortable winner, though, finishing more than 2,000 votes ahead of the Greek when voting closed last Thursday.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/17/berbatovs-accolade?

WhiteJC

Karagounis to leave Fulham at the end of the season, reveals agent

The veteran Greece international, who was part of the squad that triumphed at Euro 2004 in Portugal, is open to offers from other English clubs but will not stay at Craven Cottage

Giorgos Karagounis is set to play his final game for Fulham against Swansea on Sunday, according to the player's agent.

The 36-year-old signed a one-year contract with the Cottagers at the beginning of the season and has made 24 Premier League appearances under boss Martin Jol.

His performances saw Karagounis voted as runner-up behind Dimitar Berbatov in the club's Player of the Year Awards last week, and he was rated in the top 10 in Opta's passing accuracy stats.

Jol's future is currently under scrutiny with Brighton boss Gus Poyet heavily linked to take over, and now Karagounis' agent, Paschalis Tountouris, has revealed that there is no future for him at Craven Cottage.

"It is most likely that Sunday will be the last game that Giorgos will play for Fulham," he said.

"He's had a terrific year and the Premier league was a great experience. There would be options for him to stay in England and would consider any challenges that may be available. It's very good that the fans of Fulham have recognised his contributions this season to vote him as the second best player and he will always have them in his heart."

Karagounis has amassed 124 caps for Greece and was part of the team that won the 2004 European Championship.

Jol has stated on several occasions that he wanted the former Panathinaikos, Inter and Benfica star to stay at Fulham, but Tountouris admitted that is now unlikely, with Karagounis targeting the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. 

"I don't want to comment on any further details about discussions with Fulham but the bottom line is that he will move on," he added.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/05/17/3985338/-?

WhiteJC

Swansea v Fulham

By Dan O'Hagan
Match of the Day commentator

BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
Venue: Liberty Stadium Date: Sunday, 19 May

TEAM NEWS
Swansea boss Michael Laudrup may select the same team that narrowly lost to Manchester United last weekend.
Goalkeeper Michel Vorm is again missing, along with injured midfielder Ki Sung-Yeung.

Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell will not feature as he serves the final match of a four-game suspension.
Midfielders Simon Davies, Ashkan Dejagah and Mahamadou Diarra will not play again for the Cottagers until next season.

MATCH PREVIEW
Few teams this weekend will have deserved the obligatory lap of honour quite as much as Swansea. If last season's historic, best-ever 11th place finish under Brendan Rodgers was the stuff of dreams, then this season Michael Laudrup has "Jacked" up the bar even higher.

The prize of eighth place, coupled with their League Cup win, and guaranteed Europa League football next season will earn the Swans a raucous, joyous send-off on Sunday.

This was the team that Rodgers built, and Laudrup, using his Spanish league know-how, perfected. His ability to sign players of great technique, if not reputation and price tag, has marked him out as a manager who'll doubtless be linked with many a summer vacancy - and not just in the Premier League.

I notice that Laudrup himself has suggested that, for now, eighth is probably the summit of what is realistically possible for Swansea, effectively winners of the mini-league within the Premier League. Mind you, next season they'll have another target - not only to match what they've done this year, they'll also HAVE to beat Cardiff home and away!

Fulham travel to South Wales in, frankly, dreadful form - over the last six matches the worst in the Premier League, with a run of five successive defeats and no wins in seven. Of course they are now safe from relegation, but back-to-back top-half finishes under Mark Hughes, and last season with Martin Jol already seem an awfully long way off.

Jol's position now seems secure into next season, despite recent speculation suggesting a parting of the ways could be imminent.

Either way, Sunday could be a farewell for several of Fulham's players - the Cottagers have an ageing group of players with 10 of the first-team squad out of contract come the season's end and 12 of them aged 30 or over.

These are two clubs with relatively modest budgets by top-flight standards, and so the merit payments for final Premier League placing will perhaps mean more to them than most. Both can, on their day, play football easy on the eye, and of a very high standard - I was at Fulham to see them humiliate Norwich 5-0 in August, and here at the Liberty the following week to see "Swansalona" pass West Ham into submission.

Let's hope both turn up - and turn on the style - to give us an end-of-season cracker

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head
Swansea have beaten Fulham in all three of their Premier League meetings, conceding just one goal.

Prior to that, the Swans had beaten Fulham just once in 13 meetings in all competitions dating back to 1990.

This is the 63rd meeting between the sides. Fulham have won 30 times, Swansea 22 and there have been 10 draws.

Swansea
Swansea have taken just six points from their last nine games (W1 D3 L5), putting them below the likes of Aston Villa, Sunderland, Norwich and Wigan in the form table.

The Swans have not beaten a side in the top half of the table since defeating Arsenal on 1 December. If they beat Fulham on Sunday it will mean that each of their last six league wins have been against clubs now in the bottom half of the table.

Swansea are one of only two teams this season yet to win a penalty (alongside Tottenham). Charlton in 2004-05 were the last side to go a whole Premier League season without winning a penalty.

Just 11% of Swansea's goals (five of 47) have come from set-pieces this season, which is the lowest ratio in the Premier League.

Swansea have scored the highest percentage of goals (70%) in the second half of matches in the league this season.

Fulham
Fulham have lost five successive Premier League games. They have only lost six in a row once before in the competition - between February and March 2002.

Eleven of Dimitar Berbatov's 14 league goals for Fulham have come before half-time. Only Clint Dempsey has scored more goals (17 last season) in a single Premier League season for the club.

They have thrown away 23 points from winning positions and gained just five from losing positions this season.

Fulham's record of four points from their last eight games puts them 19th in the form table with only relegated QPR below them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22499103?

WhiteJC

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Swansea v Fulham

This has been a good season for both teams, although they have both been on a run of poor results recently.

The Cottagers have earned only one point from their last seven games which has led to doubts over the future of Fulham manager Martin Jol but, as far as replacing him is concerned, it is very much a case of better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

There is monster money for the Premier League clubs from next season onwards and chairmen and chief executives should be very cautious about changing their managers if there is no real need to do so.

Swansea's win at Wigan on 7 May was only their second since they won the League Cup final at the end of February.

The Swans almost spoiled the party at Old Trafford for Sir Alex Ferguson in his farewell game last week too but I think they will end their campaign on a positive note.

Prediction: 2-0

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22553885

WhiteJC

Bulgaria's Berbatov Hints of Staying in Fulham

Fulham's Bulgarian striker Dimitar Berbatov is likely to stay for one more season with his current club, it appears from an interview he gave upon receiving Fulham's Player of the Season award.

"It's time to make an evaluation of the season, to correct things that we need to improve, so that the next season we should be better," Berbatov said.

The 32-year-old forward agreed that the end of the season has been rather disappointing for Fulham, even though the Cottagers have had some good games.

The Bulgarian – who arrived at Fulham on transfer deadline day back in August – has been an integral part of Martin Jol's side this season, finding the back of the net on no less than 14 occasions.

Recent rumors have linked the prolific striker with Turkish giants Galatasaray

http://www.novinite.com/view_news.php?id=150486

WhiteJC

Jol's Swansea Preview

Manager Martin Jol is hopeful that the Club can finish their Barclays Premier League season on a high with a win over Swansea City on Sunday (4pm).

The Whites have lost their last five games, but could still secure a mid-table finish if they beat the Capital One Cup winning Welsh side and Jol thinks it would be a real boost for the travelling fans.

"I would love to have a good result over there," he said. "Because it would put everything into perspective. We would be on 43 points and, of all the other teams around us, Swansea are the team who could probably finish in the top eight. If they beat us they could finish there, so it could be a real boost for us if we won.

Fulham and Swansea are both in a poor run – with the Swans winning just once in their previous nine – and Jol believes that, although they have received a lot of praise for their performances this season, there is not a lot to choose between them.

"The difference between us and Swansea is the game at Craven Cottage," he said. "They have 46 points, we have 40, so if we had won that then we would both be on 43. We were the first team to have more possession than them and we made two mistakes in our defence and they scored. That is the Premier League though."

"The first spell we had, we were in the top five but then we had to change the team [because of the transfer window] and we had eight central midfielders. After Christmas we were very settled and we had a fantastic spell but then we had to change it again and if you look at all the other teams, even Swansea, they have had a very bad spell over the last eight or nine games. It's hot and cold and that has been our season."

Jol also revealed that Fulham have taken the option and reached an agreement with FC Cologne over the transfer of Sascha Riether.

Kieran Richardson is out of the game against Swansea with a hamstring injury that he picked up against Liverpool, but outside of long-term absentees Mahamadou Diarra and Ashkan Dejagah the rest of the squad are fit.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/17/jols-swansea-preview?