more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (28/05/13)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 28, 2013, 04:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

International Whites

Four Fulham faces are due to represent their country in a series of upcoming international friendly fixtures.

Kerim Frei is the first to be involved as Turkey compete in two matches in Germany. Latvia will provide the opposition on Tuesday 28th, before they face Slovenia on Friday 31st. Despite injuries disrupting Frei's 2012/13 campaign, the young winger has never been far from Turkey manager Abdullah Avcı's thoughts and he will be hoping to add to his three caps this week.

On-loan Stanislav Manolev is in the Bulgaria squad for their match against Japan at the Toyota Stadium in Nagoya on Thursday 30th. Manolev made five appearances for the Whites during his spell in SW6, but he has been a regular for the national team this season, scoring in three matches; against Italy, Armenia and Denmark.

Fellow loanee Eyong Enoh has been rewarded for his consistently good performances for Fulham with a call-up to the Cameroon squad. With World Cup Qualifiers on the horizon, their preparations start with a friendly match against the Ukraine in Kiev on Sunday 2nd June.

Another man who ended the season strongly is Alexander Kačaniklić. Now a regular in the Sweden setup, Kačaniklić is in the squad once again for their friendly match in Malmo against Macedonia on Monday 3rd and, if he plays, it will be his fifth appearance of the current season for the national side.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/27/international-whites?

WhiteJC

Picking Fulham's five best players this season

We take a look at the Fulham FC squad and pick the five best players from the 2012-13 season.

It has been a steady season at Craven Cottage and while no pulses were exactly set racing the club will be happy just to be safe after a rocky patch at the tail-end of their campaign threatened to derail all their previous hard work.

But who shone through?

Here are our top five Fulham players for 2012-13..

Dimitar Berbatov

What a buy this has proved to be. Stolen from the runway under the noses of Italian outfit Fiorentina Martin Jol managed to snap up the mercurial Bulgarian on an undisclosed fee on a two-year deal in the summer.

It has proved to be an excellent decision to gamble on the Manchester United front-man. The effervescent 32-year-old has scored 15 goals in 33 Premier League appearances and brought a little West London style back to the club in 2012-13.

Holding on to him this summer will be tough amid interest from Galatasaray but hopefully he remains loyal to The Cottagers.

Sascha Riether

A really superb spot from Jol this one. Not many of us would have heard about German full-back Riether before the start of the season.

But he featured on many a 'bargain of the season' list throughout the campaign and deserved to be offered a full-time deal at the season's end.

His dynamic attacking play has been a feature of Fulham this term and demonstrates another piece of glorious business from the Dutchman.

Bryan Ruiz

I really have been impressed with the Costa Rican this season.

He has a tendency to be overlooked at times but his intricate little play between the midfield and attacker has been vital especially with Berbatov's limited movement.

His seven assists have also helped.

Brede Hangeland

Not his best ever season but once again the Norwegian captain has been the pillar of consistency at the heart of the Fulham defence.

He has featured in the majority of their games and his ability in the air has been important to their defensive stability.

He was rewarded with a two-year contract extension in March.

Mark Schwarzer

Choosing a fifth player was difficult and I certainly had to ask a few Fulham fan friends of mine who I should go for and while the names Steve Sidwell, Giorgos Karagounis and Damien Duff all came up I did like the mention for the veteran Australian.

A goalkeeper is vital to survival and one who is as consistent as this man is always crucial.

He has also caught 98% of his attempted catches this term; demonstrating an excellent poise.

However it looks as though he will be departing the club this summer ans no contract extension has been agreed with the player.

http://hereisthecity.com/2013/05/26/mn-fulhams-five-best-players-this-season/?

WhiteJC

Fulham plan swoop for Marseille star

Marseille midfielder Morgan Amalfitano is on Fulham's radar.

The France international has enjoyed a fine season in Ligue 1 and helped his side finish runners-up to champions PSG.

He has a contract until 2015 but Fulham believe they can land him for a relatively small fee.

Amalfitano, 28, is open to a move to the Premier League and his younger brother Romain is already here, having joined Newcastle last summer.

Read more: http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130527/fulham-plan-swoop-marseille-star-198409?#ixzz2UYQn7Dwa
Follow us: @talksport on Twitter
Read more at http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/130527/fulham-plan-swoop-marseille-star-198409?#8jS3iHRXiubK02YE.99

WhiteJC

Davies Wants to Remain in the Premier League

On the back of a couple of season`s badly interrupted by injury, Simon Davies is now looking for a new club.

Now thirty-three, the midfielder still has ambitions of remaining in the Premier League and it appears that he could get his wish with it being inferred that there are bids, for the Welshman, on the table with Davies himself remaking,

"I`ve lots to offer in the Premier League."

I reckon Davies could, injuries allowing, do a decent job for one of the newly promoted clubs, how about you?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=320471#ixzz2UYR8yxor

WhiteJC

Bent Update!

>Yesterday we reported on how Fulham were preparing a cheeky £4 million bid for Darren Bent.

Today it is being reported that Bent is determined to re-launch his career in London although any side hoping to get him for a cut-price £4 million might need to think again with it being intimated that Aston Villa will want to recoup at least £8 million of the £24 million they paid for the player, who is now 29.

Naturally, since Fulham`s admission of interest was broken by the tabloid press other potential suitors have stepped out of the shadows with it now being inferred that West Ham, Watford or Palace might throw their hats into the ring.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=320472#ixzz2UYRKHYKO

WhiteJC

On-fire Burn living the dream at Wembley

Dan Burn celebrates his goal at Wembley.

A Blyth-based professional footballer was still celebrating at the weekend - days after scoring what proved to be the winning goal for Yeovil Town which consequently propelled them into the npower Championship.

Twenty-one year old Dan Burn - a former junior with New Hartley, Blyth Town and Blyth Spartans - spoke of his sheer delight after his header shortly before half time had put his side 2-0 up against Brentford at the New Wembley in the Division One play off final. The London outfit reduced the deficit after the interval but the Glovers held out to complete a memorable victory. And in Burn's case it could well be the perfect farewell present as the 6ft 7ins tall centre back returns to Fulham for pre season after completing what turned out to be a nine month loan period at Yeovil. Burn signed for the Craven Cottage outfit from Darlington on a three year contract in 2011 but for the past nine months has been an integral part in the Yeovil set up, making 41 appearances and scoring three goals. And the Ashington born lynchpin was naturally cock-a-hoop after making a scoring debut at the home of football: "To play at Wembley in front of a crowd of 42,000 at my age was just crazy because some professionals never get the opportunity throughout their entire careers," he said, "I was six yards out when I scored with a header from a corner and although one of my team-mates tried to claim the goal, I ran away celebrating. We defended well during the second half after Brentford had pulled it back to 2-1 - but this past week has been surreal and the day will live with me forever." Burn has another goal target in front of him: "I've played for the reserves at Fulham - now my aim is to try and break into the first team in the Barclays Premier League," he said, "If not then I may have to go out on loan again."

http://www.newspostleader.co.uk/sport/football/on-fire-burn-living-the-dream-at-wembley-1-5714070

WhiteJC

Thank You Giorgos
by CHRIS GILBERTSON on MAY 27, 2013

When the bell tolled on the August 2012 transfer window, a dark shadow had been cast over Motspur Park. Like something out of a J.K.Rowling novel, Tottenham's 'he who shall not be named' chaiman had left what felt like an indelible mark on the Fulham playing squad with the pillaging of Dempsey and Dembele.

Martin Jol and Alistair McIntosh have a cracker of a petronas charm* though. For the second transfer window in a row, they somehow conjured that rare species, a top line international centre midfielder, out of thin air. Unlike the previous manifestation, Mahammadou Diarra, who was available because of previous injuries, our latest knight in aging armour, was a victim of the financial crisis.

Age and the crumbling domestic economy had somehow led Hundred and 124 cap Greek captain, stalwart and modern day Zeus reincarnate, Giorgos Karagounis, available on a free transfer following his release from Panathanaikos. Well, bravo Mr Manager and Mr CEO.

You know the back-story; Karagounis is a legend in his homeland – veteran domestic stalwart with Athens' giants Panathanaikos and, more importantly, 2004 European Championship winning talisman for Greece and captain for the important austerity era Euro 2012 campaign, where an unjust booking kept him out of the bail-out quarter final with Germany. Along with spells in Portugal, at Benfica, and Italy, with Inter Milan, there are not many more experienced players in the European game than old George.

Having released our previous captain and rightful fan favourite, Danny Murphy, at the tender age of 35, the signing of now 36 year old Karagounis was initially met with some scepticism.

Sure, he wasn't Plan A. He probably wasn't Plan B or even Plan C. Did that seem to bother him? Not one bit. Here was a player who, despite being one of the greats in the modern canon of European football, was simply delighted to be given his shot in the Premier League, and in our fragile state of hearts and minds, that was damn good enough.

It will be a sad day when Giorgos leaves, following the impending expiration of his one-year contract. For Kara was a tremendous asset to Fulham this season. He said it best himself in a recent thank you to the fans interview with the club, "I'm a player that gives my all to a team and to a game, I think the fans see that and appreciate it. They like their players to give their all to the cause. I gave my all to every single game."

It is not surprising that this humble servant felt it necessary to thank the fans. I've never met Giorgos Karagounis, but I'd bet my every last drachma he's a class act in person. Not since John Pantsil and his ceremonious lap of honour, have we seen a Fulham player of such exuberance and graciousness on the Craven Cottage pitch. Seeing Giorgos walk the sombre "lap of appreciation" after the Liverpool defeat, he was accompanied by his three children and looked genuinely thankful for his chance to play at Fulham, and those fans who took him to heart over the past 9 months.

Giorgos' energy and passion were central in any success we had this season. But, to merely sideline his impact as just motivational, would be a crass understatement. For much of the season, Giorgos was the best midfielder we had. His two goals, in back-to-back fixtures against Blackpool and Wigan in January will justifiably be nominated for the FFC goal of the season. His energizer bunny–esque celebrations would certainly win celebration of the year too.

Statistically, Karagounis completed 898 passes at a 90% success rate in his 28 appearances. He won 133 duels at a 63% success rate, and 37 tackles at a 79% success rate. 31 interceptions, 16 clearances and 10 blocked shots are excellent complimentary statistics defensively, but perhaps most importantly, Giorgos was our most fouled player, suffering 64 indiscretions this season**, while committing only 29 for the cost of a total of 3 yellow cards. Steve Sidwell in comparison, suffered only 29 fouls, while committing 62, at a cost of 8 yellows and 2 reds. Ill-discipline can cost your team points, while winning fouls can win you them.***

Finally, in letting Giorgos go, I have a nagging fear that history is repeating itself, and we are letting a player and leader of importance leave for nothing on the basis of age and not a lot else.

Regardless, Giorgos Karagounis, Efkaristo (Thank You).

COYW

*If you don't get this, read Harry Potter. There's no football for the next three months, you may as well find something to fill the time.

**Theatricality comes somewhat naturally to a man who could easily become an actor upon retirement, as such, certain "fouls" were perhaps a tad soft.

***Had we been given a free kick for a foul on Karagounis in the build up to Southampton's equaliser at St Mary's, we'd have ended the season circa £700,000 better off.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2013/05/thank-you-giorgos/?

WhiteJC

Fulham at a crossroads: will the standstill continue?

This country's insatiable appetite for rolling football coverage necessitated many doyens of the sport's media to start their pontificating on prospects for next season within 24 hours of the final whistle blowing on this one.

Chief topic for debate, of course, concerns the likely effect on Manchester United of their having a new face at the team's helm.  With all observers desperate for a genuine title fight in 2013/2014 after this year's one-horse race, the possibility of a Jose Mourinho inspired Chelsea re-emerging as a serious force at the very top of the Premier League, and the portents for a post Roberto Mancini Manchester City are high on the agenda.

Gareth Bale's future, Arsenal's potential summer spending, and the chances of a freshly promoted trio of clubs surviving in the top-flight are subjects to stimulate football minds which might otherwise be exercised by nothing more than ticking the days off the calendar until we start all over again.

Amidst the higher-profile goings on as the English game's prize-fighters jostle for position ahead of August, one club that cannot afford the next three months to pass in an idle daze is Fulham.  It will take a lot more than the impending signing of 30 year-old journeyman Ghanaian midfielder Derek Boateng to guard against this outfit, which has spent a year treading water, from drowning in what will be their 13th year back among the elite.

The warning signs are flashing.  It is when an aspirational club begins to feel settled at the top table that the cloth can suddenly and unexpectedly be whipped away.  Wigan Athletic have found that to their cost this term after eight Premier League years.  Charlton Athletic had enjoyed seven successive top-flight campaigns ahead of their 2007 drop.  Of 2012's demoted triumvirate, Wolverhampton Wanderers had survived the previous two season, while, most strikingly, both Blackburn Rovers and Bolton Wanderers had been part of the establishment since being promoted with Fulham in 2001.

There has been little evidence in the Cottagers' on-pitch performances this term to hint towards anything other than nine months of strife between this coming August and next May.  A flattering 3-0 final day win at Swansea City avoided what would have been an ignominious six game losing streak to close this term.

It is the form of Martin Jol's team between November last year and February of this, however, which will most agitate any harbingers of doom.  After a trio of high-scoring draws, against Reading, Everton, and Arsenal, Fulham won three of 15 games.  A 0-0 draw at Norwich City on 9th February left the club eight points above the relegation zone with 12 games to play.   With a procession of tentative and stodgy displays replacing the expressive football which had been inextricably linked with Fulham since their Premier League ascension, eyes at the club were firmly fixed over shoulders, rather than optimistically focusing skywards.

Even with senses heightened by their insecure predicament, Jol's men could only scrape together 14 points from the last 36 available.  Adding to misgivings about a Fulham team with an enduringly abysmal record away from home, is the discernible eroding this season to Craven Cottage's reputation as an unhappy hunting ground for its visitors.

When they finished ninth, 12 months ago, 10 of Fulham's fourteen victories were secured in their own uniquely homely surroundings.  Mark Hughes' side built their 2010 10th place on 11 home victories – a record which took the sting from only managing three wins on the road.

The only season since the Jean Tigana led promotion campaign in which Fulham have won fewer home matches than this term's seven came in 2007/2008, when Roy Hodgson's late rescue act – which required all three final games to be won – kept the Cottagers afloat.  That dramatic escape was achieved only thanks to a superior goal difference over Reading, and despite taking maximum points from a mere five home encounters out of 19.

Even during that demanding campaign, Fulham's support was able to enjoy watching the flair and invention of Diomansy Kamara, Clint Dempsey, and Danny Murphy.   Jimmy Bullard returned from injury to provide his unique brand of drive and, weeks after his appointment, Hodgson brought in the commanding Brede Hangeland to solidify a porous backline.

There was a purpose about the Fulham operation under Hodgson which culminated in their epic run to the 2010 UEFA Cup final.  That exciting unit, which had added the goals of Bobby Zamora to its ranks, saw off European heavyweights; Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus, and Hamburg, on the way to an ultimately heart-breaking meeting in Germany with Atletico Madrid.

Throughout their 12 years in the top-flight, Fulham have retained an identity.  Their method is ostensibly based on an excellent goalkeeper, – latterly Mark Schwarzer – defensive organisation, midfield industry and guile, adventurous wide players, and a potent centre-forward.

From their very first game back in the Premier League, when a team which contained the imposing and effective spine of; Edwin Van Der Saar, Alain Goma, Steed Malbranque, and Louis Saha were unfortunate to lose 3-2 at Manchester United, the Cottagers' blueprint for success and evolution has been rigidly adhered to.

As well as the aforementioned individuals, Fulham's 2001 stellar cast included Steve Finnan, John Collins, and a young, flourishing Sean Davis.

Through the managerial eras of; Tigana, Chris Coleman and Hodgson, as well as during Hughes' sole year, Craven Cottage regulars have been treated to the spectacle of a series of distinguished footballers donning their club's famous white shirt.  Lee Clark, Sylvain Legwinski, Moritz Volz, Claus Jensen, Carlos Bocanegra, Papa Bouba Diop, Brian McBride, Antti Niemi, Heidar Helguson, Simon Davies, Damien Duff, Carlos Salcido, and Moussa Dembele can all be exhibited as men who typified the varied attributes which formed to sustain Fulham's top-flight life.

Even the unloved Lawrie Sanchez was faithful to the club's mantra with his recruitment of Kamara and Murphy, the tenacious Aston Villa midfielder Steven Davis, and reliable and versatile defender Aaron Hughes.

Now, with a midfield patrolled by the rather more prosaic Giorgos Karagounis and the transient presence of Eyong Enoh and Urby Emmanuelson, there looks to have been a neglect of the philosophy which has served the Cottagers so well.  Duff  and John Arne-Riise are declining forces, while all too often Schwarzer and Hangeland have been left alone to repel assorted Premier League attacks.

When they click, this Fulham team is easy on the eye and remain capable of slicing through opponents.  Those occasions are all too infrequent, and increasingly reliant on the magnificent but capricious Dimitar Berbatov.  The Bulgarian striker is only too aware of his importance to the side, a fact he confirmed with his revealing of a t-shirt stating; 'Keep Calm And Pass Me The Ball' upon scoring in a Boxing Day draw with Southampton.

Bryan Ruiz is a class act, but beyond those two fine attackers, the bright and breezy Alex Kacanilklic, Ashkan Dejagah, Kieran Richardson and Hugo Rodallega are not men whose bodies or consistency can be trusted at the highest level.

There have been rumblings of dressing room antipathy towards Jol almost since the Dutchman first took over as Fulham's manager in 2011.  Zamora's departure came amid speculation he had fallen out with his boss, while similar rumours surrounded the exits of Murphy and Dempsey.

Riise is among the current squad to have endured a less than smooth relationship with the ex-Tottenham boss.  In January this year, the left back's brother, Bjorn Helge, who also played at Craven Cottage under Jol, said the Dutchman is 'disliked by most players', and has an 'arrogant manner'.

A mini uprising in Jol's group, months into his first season, was ridden out as results improved.  It is when fortunes turn on the pitch that any unrest takes its damaging toll.  The manager is desperate for money to rejuvenate a squad which contains ten players whose contracts are at an end.  Without that coveted cash injection, there must be serious doubt regarding the 57 year-old's desire to continue at the Fulham helm – that is if his reign is not cut short by chairman and owner, Mohamed Al-Fayed first.

This is a time of massive uncertainty at the cosy south-west London club.  The playing staff is in a state of flux, there is an absence of apparent long-term vision, and there exists a questionable spirit among the team which was most obvious in their late season collapse – a run which included the concession of four goals at home to already relegated Reading.

Manchester City were not immune this year to the ills that come with a football club sitting on its hands in the close season.  The repercussions at the Etihad however, extended to being runners-up in the Premier League and F.A. Cup.  If Fulham do not rapidly address the apathy which has insidiously crept up on them, it will sink its claws into the club with the most costly of consequences.

http://thisisfutbol.com/2013/05/blogs/fulham-at-a-crossroads-will-the-standstill-continue?

WhiteJC

Aston Villa Outcast Darren Bent Hopes to Complete £4m Fulham Switch

Villa striker could be heading back to London.

Aston Villa striker Darren Bent is hoping Fulham manager Martin Jol can rescue him from obscurity and bring him back to London, according to The Express.

Bent joined Villa for a fee of around £24 million from Sunderland in January 2011 but has found himself out of the side this season thanks largely to the impressive form of Christian Benteke and may now be set to leave the club for a fee of as little as £4 million.

Villa boss Paul Lambert has already told the 29-year-old to find a new club this summer and Jol, who knows the player well from the pair's time together at Spurs, could be set to swoop in as he looks to make improvements to the Fulham side that could only manage a mid-table finish this year.

Fulham have already added Derek Boateng, Fernando Amorebieta and Sacha Reitner this week and will look to add Bent, a proven goalscorer, as soon as the transfer window reopens.

Bent has managed 25 goals in 64 appearances for the Claret & Blue's and will look to go wherever he can get first team football ahead of an important World Cup year as he has never made it to a major tournament with the English national side.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/05/27/aston-villa-outcast-darren-bent-hopes-to-complete-4m-fulham-switch/?

WhiteJC

French midfielder Amalfitano on Fulham's radar as Cottagers plan loan move

Fulham are lining up a loan deal for stylish Marseille midfielder Morgan Amalfitano.

The France international has two years left on contract but has struggled to settle at Marseille since his move from Lorient in 2011 and is keen to move on.

Return to London: Fulham hope to bring in Marseille midfielder Morgan Amalfitano (right) on loan

Fulham head scout Barry Simmonds wanted to take Amalfitano when he was leaving Lorient but the 28-year-old wanted the challenge of playing in the Champions League.

However, he is now ready to come to England where his younger brother Romain is at Newcastle.

Flying high: Auxerrer midfielder Steeven Langil is the subject of interest from Newcastle

Romain, 23, may face further competition soon though as Newcastle are showing interest in Auxerre attacking midfielder Steeven Langil, 25, who is out of contract this summer.

Former Newcastle goalkeeper Shay Given, 37, meanwhile, is to leave Aston Villa.

Villa exit: 37-year-old goalkeeper Given will leave Aston Villa after two years

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2331834/Fulham-hoping-land-Marseille-midfielder-Morgan-Amalfitano-loan-deal.html#ixzz2UYTDrRF7
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

WhiteJC

Deadline Day today

There's still time for you to secure your 2013/14 Season Ticket from just £399 adults (£21 per game) and £95 juniors (£5 per game).

Early Bird prices end at 5pm today so be sure to buy yours before prices rise. Buy today to save £50 on the adult price!

Your 2013/14 Season Ticket will include all 19 Barclays Premier League home games as well as a host of benefits such as a 10 per cent discount on Fulham products, discounts on additional tickets for selected matches, and priority access to away and cup games. Read the full list of benefits here.

Season Tickets for Under-16s are £95, whilst Under-8s are just £49. All Junior Season Ticket Holders in the Family Zone will also receive a FREE home shirt leading into the new season.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/may/28/early-bird-deadline-day?

WhiteJC

Fulham season review - Underwhelming campaign means major changes afoot

Premier League - 12th

FA Cup - Fourth Round

League Cup - Second Round

This has been a season of extremely mixed emotions for anyone connected with Fulham, from a bright start to what seemed like an interminable mid-season lull. Then came a recovery that all-but-secured their Premier League for another season before a final six games or so that eventually saw the Cottagers end with a whimper, though their final-day 3-0 defeat of Swansea at least secured Martin Jol's side a respectable 12th place.

It began so wonderfully at Craven Cottage as Norwich were demolished by a resounding 5-0 scoreline on the opening day, with Mousa Dembele, Bryan Ruiz and Mladen Petric at the heart of a superb team display. There was even talk that Clint Dempsey could be tempted into remaining at the club. A 3-2 defeat at Manchester United followed in the next game but there was genuine hope that this season Fulham could seriously challenge the upper echelons of the Premier League.

That all changed however in the last week of the transfer window when Dembele and Dempsey were both sold to Tottenham and effectively, the heart was ripped out of this Fulham team.

However, from the depths of that darkness, Jol managed to secure the coup signing of Dimitar Berbatov from Manchester United. Described upon arrival as the best player to ever grace the club, the Bulgarian scored twice on his full debut against West Brom and set the tone for a wonderful season for the 32-year-old.

More goals followed as Berbatov racked up 15 for the season and often seemed to carry Fulham alone on his shoulders, particularly during the winter months when the team took only two wins from 15 league matches, a run of form that at one point threatened their top flight status.

During those troubled months, the underlying problems within the squad appeared to come home to roost. This was a squad lacking desperately in pace, which made the decision to send Alexander Kacanicklic on loan to Burnley all the more puzzling. It was also an ageing team, none more so than in defence where Brede Hangeland, who would eventually sign an extension to his contract, endured by far his poorest season in some time while time looks to have finally caught up with nominal partner Aaron Hughes. Though at least in Sascha Riether, Fulham have an excellent option at right-back.

The midfield also appeared to lack variety, particularly after the departures of Dembele and Dempsey and the raft of January loan signings such as Emmanuel Frimpong and Urby Emanuelson did little to change that.

The Cottagers did eventually pick up some form, led inevitably by the class of Berbatov, to move themselves away from relegation but even the respectability of a 12th-place finish must not mask the major deficiencies that remain.

Major surgery is needed to this squad if it is to avoid another listless season in 2013/14 and at least with the permanent signings of Riether, Derek Boateng and Fernando Amorebieta in the week since the season has finished, that fact does not seem to have been lost on the manager.

Manager - Martin Jol: A difficult season for the Dutchman who at times has looked almost bored and lacking in both inspiration and ideas as his team struggled to put results together. The former Tottenham boss has committed his future to the club but whispers remain that he could be set to move back to the continent in the summer.

Player of the season - Dimitar Berbatov: Riether may have been voted as the players' player of the season but without Berbatov, Fulham simply would not still be playing in the Premier League next season. At times it is almost astonishing to see a player of his quality playing in the white of Fulham and not the reds of a Manchester United or Arsenal.

Turning point - The sales of Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey: While the sale of Dempsey was rather expected, Dembele's departure took Fulham and Jol by complete surprise. The Belgian had started the season in imperious form and the Cottagers looked set to do well with him at their midfield base. His move to Tottenham in the last week of the summer transfer window left Fulham's midfield lacking in quality, drive and pace.

Any other business: Fulham's use of the free transfer and loan markets has been extensive in recent seasons, with Mahamadou Diarra and Giorgos Karagounis, as well as the likes of Riether, Frimpong, Emanuelson and Stansilav Manolev all being brought in via those methods. However, it is surely time for the club to seek more permanent solutions. At times this season the squad has looked rather lopsided and even lacking in commitment, a problem when relying too heavily on the temporary markets.

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_0_20335_-.html#.UaS8w5W_wds

WhiteJC

Burn keen on Glovers return

Dan Burn is keen to return to Yeovil next season after his Wembley winner led the Glovers to the Championship for the first time.

The on-loan Fulham defender headed home Ed Upson's corner as Gary Johnson's men overcame Brentford 2-1 in the League 1 play-off final, and he will now return to Craven Cottage after a memorable campaign which saw him make 41 appearances.

But the 21-year-old would never turn down the chance of another year with the Glovers.

"It's been unbelievable and one of the best seasons of my life," he told the Western Daily Press.

"I've made some brilliant mates, played under some excellent management and I've loved playing for Yeovil. I don't want to leave.

"I'll go back to Fulham, do pre-season with them and then see what they're thinking of my progression and what they want to do with me.

"But I'd love to come back here, I'd never turn down a move here. I'll go back and see what happens after a few holidays."

http://www.teamtalk.com/yeovil-town/8739577/Burn-keen-on-Glovers-return?

WhiteJC

Fulham Target Marseille Midfielder

Stylish midfielder wanted on loan.

Fulham are hoping to tie up a loan deal for Marseille midfielder Morgan Amalfitano this summer, the Daily Mail understands.

The 28-year-old has struggled to settle in the south of France since joining the club from Lorient in 2011 and is said to be keen on seeking a move away. He currently has two years left on his current deal and Fulham boss Martin Jol is keen to bring him in on loan for a season before trying to seal his permanent signature for a cut price deal next year.

The west London club's head scout Barry Simmonds had alerted the side to Amalfitano when he left Lorient and tried to broker a deal then, but the player was keen on testing himself in the Champions League and opted for Marseille instead.

He is reported to be keen on a move to England, where his brother, Romain, plays for Newcastle.

Amalfitano began his career with minnows Sedan in 2003 who he went on to make over 120 appearance for before joining Lorient in 2008. He may not be enjoying his time with Marseille but it hasn't stopped him from picking up a Trophee des Champions title as well as a Coupe de la Ligue trophy too.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/05/28/fulham-target-marseille-midfielder/?

WhiteJC

Yohan Mollo: The French Assist Machine Being Chased By Fulham

The best pound-for-pound assist provider in the French league is officially on the market this summer. The winger's profile is attracting serious Premier League interest, particularly from Craven Cottage...

Yohan Mollo: The French Assist Machine Being Chased By Fulham

He may not be sitting at the top but French winger Yohan Mollo is ranked 3rd in the official assist table (behind Marseille's Valbuena and Lille's Payet). He delivered 11 assist in 25 games, roughly ten less than his predecessors in the table. His unsteady season forced him to miss on this honorific title.

Unsteady as his whole career has been so far. Born in 1989 near Marseille, he joined the famous youth academy in Monaco aged 14. There he quickly made his way up the various youth teams as a right midfielder, until he was crowned U18 national champion with the red and white shirt. His dribbling, passing and speed skills were already obvious to most. Being a fan of Cristiano Ronaldo, he confesses that he often tries to replicate the Portuguese tricks on the training pitch as much as on the main stadium.

Right after the end of his period within the academy, he was included in the first team group and did not have to wait a long time before enjoying his first taste of Ligue 1 football. He made his debut in October 2008, and was offered his first starting position two weeks later. Then he would gain more and more playing time, taking part in 28 games for his first season in the top tier.

His second season would be a lot less interesting, being disturbed by a few injuries keeping him sidelined for weeks. Following this unconvincing season, he was sent on loan to newly promoted side Caen. There he settled himself on the left wing and added the set pieces to his list of abilities. He indeed scored 3 times on a direct free kick during his loan spell. His performances helped the club to secure another season in the top flight whereas his main employer, Monaco was relegated. The Normandy side could not afford the 8M€ requested by the Cote d'Azur side and Mollo had to make his way back towards Monaco.

He did not stay here long though. A few days later he was sold to Spanish minnows Grenada. Following a half season where he did not get any chance to prove himself, he was sent on loan to Nancy with a purchase option at the end of the 2011-2012 season. He officially became a Nancy player in June following a convincing 5 months there.

The current season began with a series of clashes with his then coach Jean Fernandez, who despite his talent considered Mollo as selfish, leading to his exit last winter and a new loan, this time to Saint-Etienne.

The last 5 months worked like a beautifully oiled system. Mollo found his place within the Saint-Etienne line up, and started to be decisive with assists towards Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang amongst others. During his short term under the green jersey, he led the club to their first trophy (the Coupe de la ligue) and their best league finish for over 30 years. In a nutshell, he impressed many, but with his parent club Nancy facing relegation to the second tier, they are forced to sell their most valuable asset rapidly.

The first and obvious option would be for Saint-Etienne to engage the negotiations. Two factors might cancel this purchase. First the tag price of 6M€ being close to the club's record fee and the club would definitely need to sell one of their valuable player (Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang or Kurt Zouma for instance) in order to authorize this purchase. Then we should keep in mind that the club already has at least three professional players able to fill in the winger's boots.

This is the reason why Mollo is now looking across the Channel. As the Nancy chairman Jacques Rousselot recently said, "Saint-Etienne didn't move. But two English clubs are attracted". One of them is Fulham while the other remains secret. Could it be Newcastle? The magpies' management seems to be on good commercial terms with Nancy since the transfer of Massaido Haïdara last winter...

http://sabotagetimes.com/reportage/yohan-mollo-the-french-assist-machine-being-chased-by-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Midfielder Coming in on Loan?

Our friends over at the Daily Mail, are inferring that Martin Jol is set to raid the loan market.

Apparently, Fulham Football Club are taking a more than active interest in trying to negotiate a loan deal that would bring the twenty-eight year-old Marseille midfielder Morgan Amalfitano to Craven Cottage.

We`ll keep an eye on this one and report further if any news comes our way.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=320541#ixzz2Ub6j5GiU

WhiteJC

Fulham look to finalise deal for stylish Ligue 1 midfielder

The Cottagers want to bring in Amalfitano on-loan from Marseille.

Fulham look to secure their fourth signing of the close season by bringing Marseille midfielder Morgan Amalfitano on-loan at Craven Cottage, according to the Daily Mail.

The 28-year-old has struggled to settle at the Stade Velodrome following his switch from fellow Ligue 1 side Lorient in 2011.

Despite being contracted for another two years at the club it's thought that Marseille will let Amalfitano move on and Cottagers scout Barry Simmonds has already been to France to watch the midfielder.

The Frenchman's younger brother Romain is already in the Premier League playing for Newcastle United after signing from Stade de Reims last summer, although the 23-year-old has only managed five Europa League appearances for the Magpies since the move.

The elder Amalfitano brother has been much more of a stalwart for his club meanwhile, featuring 36 times for Marseille in the 2012/13 campaign and setting up six goals.

If the France international were to move to west London then he would join Fernando Amorebieta and Derek Boateng as a new signing at the club, whilst Sascha Riether has been made a permanent transfer of £1.2m following a successful loan spell.

With Amalfitano struggling to find his form at Marseille currently there is every chance that the Ligue 1 club would be open to a permanent deal for the Frenchman next year, if his spell at Fulham were to go well.

Martin Jol will be wanting to improve his side in 2013/14 after a disappointing campaign in the top English league this year, which saw the Cottagers finish 12th with 43 points – just seven off relegation.

http://www.fanatix.com/news/fulham-look-to-finalise-deal-for-stylish-ligue-1-midfielder/120896/

WhiteJC

Is Jol's Short-Termism Harming Fulham?
With Fulham seemingly treading Premier League water, Daniel Storey wonders whether Martin Jol's short-termist approach to his squad may end in his eventual departure...

Whilst the sacking of Tony Pulis at Stoke surprised a few observers, the club's reasoning was clear. The powers that be felt that the manager's time at the club had run its course as Stoke reached a ceiling under his stewardship. After a significant outlay on players, Pulis had been unable to instigate meaningful progression. It's a cliché that is used more and more, but standing still in the top flight truly is viewed as moving backwards.

Finishing just one point and one place ahead of Pulis' Stoke - after overtaking the Potters with a final day victory over sunbathing Swansea - sit Martin Jol's Fulham. With Pulis' departure in mind, is Jol not lucky to be on the Premier League's endangered list?

After a positive start to the season (Fulham were sixth in late October), the Dutchman's side struggled significantly as the season progressed. In fact, since October 20, Fulham managed to win just seven of their 33 games in all competitions as they became the only team all season to lose to both QPR and Reading.

Although Fulham lost Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey last summer, Jol was able to reinvest (partly on transfer fees, but also the wages of free transfers) with Dimitar Berbatov, Hugo Rodallega, Mladen Petric, Kieran Richardson and Giorgos Karagounis all arriving at Craven Cottage, amongst others.

The late season slump that took Fulham close to severe relegation worries will be seen as unacceptable by fans, and the Cottagers would surely have been relegated if it were not for Berbatov. Of the 23 points the club gained since Christmas, the Bulgarian's goals alone were responsible for 11.

However, the most pressing reason for concern from supporters may not be the club's performances, but the make-up of the squad. Not a single player under the age of 26 made more than five league starts for Fulham this season and nine of their top ten appearance makers were aged 30 or above. No other squad had an average age higher than 30, and second on that list was Pulis' Stoke.

There must be a question as to whether Jol has taken Fulham forward (predecessor Mark Hughes took the club to eighth during his only season in charge), but more pertinent is the question of whether Jol can ever hope to progress without a commitment to youth. Perhaps tellingly, that was one of the reasons for the termination of Pulis' employment, but the Welshman had at least made steps to improve Stoke's academy in the latter stages of his tenure.

The squad that Jol inherited from Hughes was not filled with youth talent, but Jol has done little to change the situation, with the signings of Berbatov (31), Karagounis (35), Diarra (31) and Petric (31) a demonstration of such. Before the transfer window has even opened, 30-year-old Derek Boateng has already been recruited.

It is a particularly relevant time to ask questions. Ten days ago Fulham were crowned champions of the U18 Premier League, demonstrating that talent is available if it can be allowed to develop. Much of this depends on a genuine commitment to bleeding these youngsters into the first team. Such opportunities have been limited in recent times at Craven Cottage.

Perhaps Jol is simply working within his provided remit, and after one-season spells at both Hamburg and Ajax he is a manager with a reputation for short-termism. But such a mindset leaves Fulham as a club that will constantly require replacements, effectively working on a season-by-season basis rather than effecting any sort of footballing 'project'. Whether that is ultimately sustainable remains to be seen.

http://www.football365.com/f365-says/8739845/Is-Jol-s-Short-Termism-Harming-Fulham-