watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

bit behind on our actual signings so is

Started by fulhamben, June 03, 2013, 05:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

Amorebieta any good? and trying to rack my brains for another but is he our first ever spanish signing?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Zu-Meister

venezuelan. hes decent. strong, good in the air, takes no prisoners. prone to the cards. sent off a fair few times. i noticed on twitter a few spanish la liga fans have put him in their best la liga 11.

fulhamben

Quote from: Zu-Meister on June 03, 2013, 06:01:47 PM
venezuelan. hes decent. strong, good in the air, takes no prisoners. prone to the cards. sent off a fair few times. i noticed on twitter a few spanish la liga fans have put him in their best la liga 11.
venezuelan? did not know tha, thought i heard he was one of those basque kids and played for spains unders 19s. sounds like an upgrade though

cmg

Has played both for Basque representative team and Spain u19, but was born in Venezuela and chose to play for them.

Frankie-Peter Taylor

Born in Venezuela, brought up in the Basque. Would have played for Venezuela a few years earlier but there was a rule about you having to change allegiances before the age of 21, that was removed and chose to play for Venezuela, but being brought up in the Basque and having a Basque passport at the point of signing him allowed him to play for Bilbao. Hopefully that's not confusing.

He's a class central defender, if he can carry his form from Spain to here, he'll be our best centre back.

fulhamben

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on June 03, 2013, 06:16:00 PM
Born in Venezuela, brought up in the Basque. Would have played for Venezuela a few years earlier but there was a rule about you having to change allegiances before the age of 21, that was removed and chose to play for Venezuela, but being brought up in the Basque and having a Basque passport at the point of signing him allowed him to play for Bilbao. Hopefully that's not confusing.

He's a class central defender, if he can carry his form from Spain to here, he'll be our best centre back.
not confusing at all, except i thought you had to be born in basque country to represent them

valdeingruo

Its funny that the whole basque thing doesn't carry over to video games, you think it would given that its a huge part of their policy. My pro in fifa 13 got transferred to Bilbao
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

King_Crud

Quote from: fulhamben on June 03, 2013, 06:17:20 PM

not confusing at all, except i thought you had to be born in basque country to represent them

I thought they had some flexibility on that in recent years?

Brown@FFC

Kicking Messi in the face should summarise his description.

cebu

Quote from: King_Crud on June 04, 2013, 11:46:31 AM

I think you'll find that people from the Basque country still have Spanish passports in the parts south of the Pyrenees and French passports in parts north of the Pyrenees.

JHunter_Fulham4Life

Quote from: andersons11 on June 04, 2013, 04:54:02 AM

Its funny that the whole basque thing doesn't carry over to video games, you think it would given that its a huge part of their policy. My pro in fifa 13 got transferred to Bilbao

I remember one of the comments Martin Tyler had in FIFA 13 mentioned the native thing with Bilbao, but anyone could be transferred there. Probably too difficult/complicated an algorithm, or something.

King_Crud

Quote from: cebu on June 05, 2013, 01:50:39 AM
Quote from: King_Crud on June 04, 2013, 11:46:31 AM

I think you'll find that people from the Basque country still have Spanish passports in the parts south of the Pyrenees and French passports in parts north of the Pyrenees.

I was meaning the being born there in order to play for Bilbao

Burt

Bilbao used to have a policy of only using players who were native to or trained within the Basque region, but this is no longer the case...

sipwell

Quote from: Burt on June 05, 2013, 09:44:39 AM
Bilbao used to have a policy of only using players who were native to or trained within the Basque region, but this is no longer the case...

Err... Do you know something we don't? All players of Athletic have either a relationship with the Basque country (one or two parents) or are born there!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Burt

The club has relaxed the definition of 'Basque'...

Players who are not Basque but have 'learned their skills' in the region are now allowed to play for them.