more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Berba bashing vs Dempsey love in

Started by Bassey the warrior, June 10, 2013, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Bracken White on June 10, 2013, 11:52:27 PM
The great thing about Dempsey was, as a midfielder, his ability to appear at the right place at the right time & score goals. Goals change matches - crass but true. This was his strength.
Berbatov isn't that sort of player but certainly is a more gifted one, and plays as a striker - can score out of nothing.
So little to compare, in my opinion.
However, Berbatov will be so much more effective & prolific as a 2nd striker. So roll on a centre-forward type who can score goals in his own right. Ruiz then, would have to play a wider role - but it just might prove to be a more effective role for him & for Fulham.

Berbatov got 15 goals so it doesn't matter so much, if Ruiz can live up to his potential he can easily chip in 10-15. He is an excellent finisher, the key is for him to play further up the pitch. Shifting him on the wing is a non-starter as he's slow and not a winger, we need pace.
I for one hope we keep Kacaniklic - he makes great runs behind the defence and is a good finisher. In that way he is like Dempsey in as much as he plays left midfield but makes runs inside and scores goals. He can go inside or outside. He is going to be a superb player.

Count Berbatov

I will refrain from commenting on Dempsey. But Berbatov always divided opinions. That said, he's in another league to the American

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Berbatov has Cantona's knack of being the man amid a stampede towards the door who stops to notice a side exit that nobody else has seen.

Jonathan Northcroft on Berbatov:  "...like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons from a deckchair"

Logicalman

Fulham have been very fortunate in the past to have some of the greats playing for us, and both Berba and Demps will fall into that category in time to come.

Berba is towards the tail-end of his career, a career that showed us the superb player is was, and still is in comparison to many others, and his grace on the ball is in direct comparison to that of Demps, a fast moving and hard-hitting player, that almost any team would benefit from having, and one we were fortunate to pick up whilst still moving towards his career peak. Comparing these two either directly on the field, or by their reception off, is not an easy one.

As for the slating of Demps, yep, it was the manner of his leaving (to mis-quote a great song) that caused many people, including me, a lot of grief and an outpouring of slagging off, it had nothing to do with his actual playing or skills.

cmg

Quote from: Count Berbatov on June 11, 2013, 06:49:46 AM
I will refrain from commenting on Dempsey. But Berbatov always divided opinions. That said, he's in another league to the American

Way to refrain from commenting, Count!

Reminds me of the famous Ron Atkinson quote when asked his opinion on the referee after a match, "I never comment on referees. And I'm not going to change the habit of a lifetime for that prat."

Forever Fulham

Berbatov has more talent than Dempsey.  Berbatov is a truly gifted player.  I wonder if he appreciates just how talented he really is.  Berbatov seems to me to be somewhat satisfied, his thirst slaked.  Dempsey still has an itch he can't scratch, a burr under his saddle.  Something to prove.  The players are about the same age, right?  They've both finished their maiden voyage on new teams.  Next season will be telling.  I wish they were playing together at Fulham.  With Dembele.  What fireworks!

Jack Fulham

I don't get what we're comparing here? Who is more talented? who has more flaws? who is more hated?

Enter the Frei

Quote from: cmg on June 11, 2013, 11:42:35 AM
Quote from: Count Berbatov on June 11, 2013, 06:49:46 AM

Way to refrain from commenting, Count!

Reminds me of the famous Ron Atkinson quote when asked his opinion on the referee after a match, "I never comment on referees. And I'm not going to change the habit of a lifetime for that prat."

both comments are and were 100% correct though

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Forever Fulham on June 11, 2013, 04:47:35 PM
Berbatov has more talent than Dempsey.  Berbatov is a truly gifted player.  I wonder if he appreciates just how talented he really is.  Berbatov seems to me to be somewhat satisfied, his thirst slaked.  Dempsey still has an itch he can't scratch, a burr under his saddle.  Something to prove.  The players are about the same age, right?  They've both finished their maiden voyage on new teams.  Next season will be telling.  I wish they were playing together at Fulham.  With Dembele.  What fireworks!

Agreed on all points.
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

FFC1987

I think it's very difficult to compare Berba and Clint based on FFC performances because IMO the main contribution to Clint's success lies with the midfield. Berba to score over 10 with a midfield made up predominately of Baird/Sidwell/Frimpong/Enoh is a VERY good return. It would have been interesting to see how many Berbs might have achieved with the Dembele/Diarra in the middle. If we start comparing the two's attributes there is only one winner really. The guy with the medals, the CL appearances and the guy who was once valued 30m and one of the better strikers around.

Forever Fulham

Another equally valid way to look at it, FFC1987,  is that the entire team spent the entire season trying to get the ball to Berbatov.  Dempsey didn't have that luxury.  That, too, skews the end result in any comparison of performance this season.  Still, I stand by my earlier comments.  Berbatov has more talent.  But Dempsey ain't done yet.  I appreciate and value Berbatov's talent.  But I'd rather have the hungrier Dempsey absent player personnel changes at Fulham.

FFC1987

Quote from: Forever Fulham on June 12, 2013, 10:54:30 AM
Another equally valid way to look at it, FFC1987,  is that the entire team spent the entire season trying to get the ball to Berbatov.  Dempsey didn't have that luxury.  That, too, skews the end result in any comparison of performance this season.  Still, I stand by my earlier comments.  Berbatov has more talent.  But Dempsey ain't done yet.  I appreciate and value Berbatov's talent.  But I'd rather have the hungrier Dempsey absent player personnel changes at Fulham.

Fair opinion which I was kind of aluding to in respect to comparing them both with contributing variables that make it very difficult to analyse. We will have to agree to disagree on who we would rather have because in every scenario I can't help but choose Berbatov over Clint. Even when he was banging them in i'd have chose Berba. I just think he's a far more better all round player in nearly every respect. Maybe I place too much praise on him but hey, hes a very very good footballing technical player which I appreciate over the knitty gritty.

BarryP

Quote from: FFC1987 on June 12, 2013, 03:30:51 PM
Quote from: Forever Fulham on June 12, 2013, 10:54:30 AM

Fair opinion which I was kind of aluding to in respect to comparing them both with contributing variables that make it very difficult to analyse. We will have to agree to disagree on who we would rather have because in every scenario I can't help but choose Berbatov over Clint. Even when he was banging them in i'd have chose Berba. I just think he's a far more better all round player in nearly every respect. Maybe I place too much praise on him but hey, hes a very very good footballing technical player which I appreciate over the knitty gritty.

It's really pretty simple for me.  I want them both.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."