watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Spurs to let Defoe go

Started by Only Me, June 14, 2013, 01:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

domprague

Defoe is what's needed. He would play every week and stay in London so it might well happen.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Big Martin Jol

I don't think Defoe will join us, but I don't think some of the obstacles are as bad as is being made out.

He's on the wrong side of thirty and whilst he's still very good he's not a superstar - I'd be surprised to see any team in the top six show any serious interest, which will hurt Spurs' asking price.

Late-career jollies to the MLS or the A-League aside, very few English players choose to go abroad. If he still wants to play top quality football then he's looking at a midfield Premier League team like ourselves.

Assuming the main interest comes from teams like Fulham then we should be able to compete with any other wage offer. Obviously it won't be what he was on at Spurs, but if there's no substantially better offer on the table then he doesn't have much choice. Besides, wealthy players are surprisingly willing to drop down the pay scale for game time - look at Berbatov.
Scott Parker is the greatest living Englishman.

Apprentice to the Maestro

And if Defoe wants to stake his claim for a place in the England squad let alone team for the World Cup in Rio then playing every week and scoring regularly as he would with a team like Fulham would do his chances a lot of good if Spurs, as expected, bring in some new forwards.

rusty shackleford

Quote from: Big Martin Jol on June 17, 2013, 04:59:13 PM
I don't think Defoe will join us, but I don't think some of the obstacles are as bad as is being made out.

He's on the wrong side of thirty and whilst he's still very good he's not a superstar - I'd be surprised to see any team in the top six show any serious interest, which will hurt Spurs' asking price.

Late-career jollies to the MLS or the A-League aside, very few English players choose to go abroad. If he still wants to play top quality football then he's looking at a midfield Premier League team like ourselves.

Assuming the main interest comes from teams like Fulham then we should be able to compete with any other wage offer. Obviously it won't be what he was on at Spurs, but if there's no substantially better offer on the table then he doesn't have much choice. Besides, wealthy players are surprisingly willing to drop down the pay scale for game time - look at Berbatov.

You are getting teams like Stoke and West ham who throw big money at average players

Humbled

i am led to believe he has recently had a house built and would like to stay there..... however if someone is willing to offer silly money im sure he would up sticks for a few years!
im not so sure he is 100% happy at Tottenham

fulhamben

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on June 17, 2013, 05:06:04 PM
And if Defoe wants to stake his claim for a place in the England squad let alone team for the World Cup in Rio then playing every week and scoring regularly as he would with a team like Fulham would do his chances a lot of good if Spurs, as expected, bring in some new forwards.
if defoe could manage to be available for selction every week then he wouldnt be leaving spurs
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

filham

Quote from: Northern Cottager on June 14, 2013, 04:13:21 PM
Would love to see Defoe playing for us. Guaranteed goals.
Based on many of our performances last season no one is guaranteed goals, we need to generate more attacking play from defence and midfield before any striker is going to do well for us.

EJL

Here's a stat for yee

Jermain Defoe only scored one goal in 1079 minutes of Premier League football from Boxing Day all the way through to the end of the season. This includes eight full appearances (90 minutes +).