watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Spurs to let Defoe go

Started by Only Me, June 14, 2013, 01:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Only Me

Worth a 3 mill bid, always gets 15 plus goals a season, has played with Berbatov, and still in most England squads , anyone agree?

westcliff white

not seen this news on his release anywhere. if true and we could afford the fee, i am not sure we could afford the salary
Every day is a Fulham day

Humbled

3 million? sign him up.... i think him or Bent would be an ideal partner for Berba or Ruiz

spikey norman

last sunday's people said he had been offered to us for 6 million or  him  + cash for kacka in some deal

cmg

Interesting that we are 'connected' with Bent and Defoe. I'm not a big fan of either (not that that's important) but, although very different types of player, they are both proven goalscorers in the PL and, I guess, either could do a job for us.

I thought I'd take a little look at the facts (thus ruling myself out of a career as a Skysports 'journalist') and their records are remarkably similar.

Over the past five seasons Defoe has scored 55 goals in 9793 minutes on the pitch (more accurate than 'appearances') which equals a goal every 178 minutes. Bent (65) works out at a goal every 175 minutes. As a comparison: our own 'Prince of Darkness', Mr D Berbatov, has 63 goals at one every 162 minutes (to be fair four of his past five seasons were with Manchester United, which might have helped).

Both have similar production, are of similar age and have 'in' and 'out' seasons formwise. They both seem overpriced to me (well they are English) but are valued similarly. Bent would seem to offer a bit more than Defoe besides goals, but I'm not sure that he does really.
I'd prefer Defoe because he is quicker, but I suppose it will come down to what deals can be struck - if it comes to anything at all.

I'd prefer to see the MF sorted first, then we might be able to go with what we have already.

F(f)CUK

Both are likely to have massive wage demands and therefore we will not sign them - imho

domprague

But you have to have someone willing to pay those big wages and you have to want to go there. The Geordies are being careful with wages and sell on value, both Scouse teams are probably looking for youth so that doesn't leave many if any. We're in London, friendly fans, no big expectations so we're as desirable as anyone.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

cmg

Quote from: F(f)CUK on June 14, 2013, 02:12:07 PM
Both are likely to have massive wage demands and therefore we will not sign them - imho

Yes, one of the best things about the way this club seems to be run is a refusal to pay silly wages. I've read of Bent's rumoured £70k per week. I think, I hope, if anyone wants that sort of dough they won't be coming here and, conversely, anyone who does come will be on reasonable money.

bucksfulham

Defoe rather than Bent. Would have either but not at silly fee or wages.

Brown@FFC

Only sign if we keep Kaca. Rather have Kaca than Defoe anyday.

Northern Cottager

Would love to see Defoe playing for us. Guaranteed goals.

TWFL

Doubt it'd happen. He was frozen out by Jol at Spurs so there relationship I bet isn't great.

Admin

Quote from: TWFL on June 14, 2013, 04:32:14 PM
Doubt it'd happen. He was frozen out by Jol at Spurs so there relationship I bet isn't great.

Correct, he can't stand Martin Jol. Absolutely slated him in the media when he was sacked from Spurs.

EJL

Quote from: Northern Cottager on June 14, 2013, 04:13:21 PM
Would love to see Defoe playing for us. Guaranteed goals.

... until Christmas.

Burt

Spurs look like they are having a bit of a clear out...

William Gallas, David Bentley and John Bostock have not had their contracts renewed.

Jermain Defoe, Emmanuel Adebayor, Scott Parker, Tom Huddlestone, Iago Falque, Andros Townsend, Beniot Assou-Ekotto, Bongani Khumalo, Heurelho Gomes and Brad Friedel will go "if the price is right".

Humbled

Quote from: Burt on June 14, 2013, 06:07:19 PM
Spurs look like they are having a bit of a clear out...

William Gallas, David Bentley and John Bostock have not had their contracts renewed.

Jermain Defoe, Emmanuel Adebayor, Scott Parker, Tom Huddlestone, Iago Falque, Andros Townsend, Beniot Assou-Ekotto, Bongani Khumalo, Heurelho Gomes and Brad Friedel will go "if the price is right".

I think we would be surprised how many of them actually want to leave rather than being 'cleared out'
Would seem there are a fair few unhappy faces over in north London

CurryForMario

Defoe would be great. Unlike Berbatov he just loves to shoot - would be great for us.
He gets the ball, he scores a goal, he loves to play for Martin Jol - Dimitar Berbatov - Fulham's Number Nine!

St Eve

Unfortunately Spurs steal our players and ask a forune for theirs. They probably want 15 million and will take Kaca for 1 million

nose

defoe might be a good buy. he scores goals and could be a great foyle for berba

JackyFulham90

Defoe would be such a good signing, can't see it happening though