watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

WE NEED A STRIKER!

Started by FFC1999, July 07, 2013, 11:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1999

I feel like the only fan here that feels we need another striker. For me Berbatov drops back to much meaning we don't have that out and out striker and lose our shape a lot. We also need that injection of pace uptop for away games which i feel we lacked last year at the big grounds.

I think we should be playing a 41212 with cdm being Boateng rm kaca lm sakho cam ruiz st berbatov and the other st either being bent or i don't understand why we haven't gone in for bony?

Any other recommendations for strikers i'd be happy to hear?

fulhamben

so you think that sakho is that good that we should drop ashkan? yes we need a new striker but playing kaca out of position and dropping ashkan to accomidate one in a 2 up formation just isnt going to happen
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Lighthouse

I have been saying we need a striker all season. Either a pacey striker or more of a target player. But I would prefer pace but as we have Rodders who rarely gets a look in despite making the side look better when he plays. (No finish, no touch) is what I am told is the reason we like having Petric come on instead. I have a feeling we are not looking for one and hope for support from the midfield in a formation that doesn't work without pace on the wing which the odd injury to the wide players negates

I agree we need another forward to add pace to a pedestrian central strike force.

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Admin

If we successfully sign a creative/attacking midfielder then I feel we don't need a striker. Berbatov would remain uptop, with Bwian sitting just behind him. Berbatov would therefor not need to drop deep remaining in his most lethal position. He and Bwian could bag us a hatful of goals this season if we sign the right midfielder. 

MJG

We need a striker.

Is the question do we need another striker for the squad? OR as I think most people want, we need another striker on the pitch. In other words Jol should play 2 proper strikers.

I have argued why we don't need another squad striker, but I do agree we would better if we played with a pacy striker next to Berbatov. To do that I think Ruiz has to be dropped. Well that's not going to happen.

As for Sako as a striker. Why buy a winger and convert him, buy a bloody striker if he's going to do that.

Lighthouse

It seems madness to enter a season again with one formation that only makes sense for two players in the squad. A formation that even with those two players playing failed more times than it clicked.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Humbled

agreed.... to start ahead of Berba or Ruiz
1 with pace, playing off the shoulder of the last man and playing the width of the 6 yard box!

Ordar

I personally would be very disappointed if we started the season with Berbatov and Ruiz up front again. It doesn't work. Either Ruiz gets converted to wide left or CM or he'll have to start from the bench. We need a different option up front with Berbatov. Someone who will get in the box, and stretch the play

kiwiwaka

Yes we do need another striker, but I couldn't choose where we drop someone to accomodate them into the first 11. We cannot drop Ruiz, and probably the same for either wing players - playing say Ruiz out on the right or left wouldn't work. So do we drop a more defensive/centre mid for another striker? I think what might happen is something more the lines of a 4-1-3-2 with Boateng sitting behind Ruiz and then another striker up top - we need a proper 'poacher'. Possibly not the best option but Bent would be ideal..being English is a benefit too.

fulhamben

Quote from: Ordar on July 07, 2013, 12:34:25 PM
I personally would be very disappointed if we started the season with Berbatov and Ruiz up front again. It doesn't work. Either Ruiz gets converted to wide left or CM or he'll have to start from the bench. We need a different option up front with Berbatov. Someone who will get in the box, and stretch the play
dissagree, the ruiz and berba up top does work. the only problem is when we have to rely on cm pairings involving the greek, sidders baird or even enoh. none of them can get past the halfway line causing both berba and ruiz to drop deep. playing a new midfielder along side boatang will make the world of difference (providing we get one that can dribble and pass) and with ashkan back and kaca on the left i think we will be very effective going forward

hongkongfulham

Quote from: fulhamben on July 07, 2013, 01:40:48 PM
dissagree, the ruiz and berba up top does work. the only problem is when we have to rely on cm pairings involving the greek, sidders baird or even enoh. none of them can get past the halfway line causing both berba and ruiz to drop deep. playing a new midfielder along side boatang will make the world of difference (providing we get one that can dribble and pass) and with ashkan back and kaca on the left i think we will be very effective going forward

:plus one:

Brown@FFC

Berba and Ruiz are 2 of our best players. They won't be dropped. Hugo and the youth are good backups. Main focus should be CM and a FB. Sako will provide extra cover upfront as well. We don't need a striker.

Brown@FFC

They weren't the problem last year, it's what's around them. If you have pace on both wings, not Duff, it will be fine. Add a creator next to boateng, and then were set.

fulhamben

Quote from: Brown@FFC on July 07, 2013, 02:48:08 PM

They weren't the problem last year, it's what's around them. If you have pace on both wings, not Duff, it will be fine. Add a creator next to boateng, and then were set.
yep, hence our form took a massive tumble when ashkan got injured

Bryanthebroom

Quote from: Brown@FFC on July 07, 2013, 02:43:26 PM
Berba and Ruiz are 2 of our best players. They won't be dropped. Hugo and the youth are good backups. Main focus should be CM and a FB. Sako will provide extra cover upfront as well. We don't need a striker.

As much as I'd love to see someone like Bony sign for us I have to agree.  We should be focusing on building a team around Berba and Ruiz rather than creating more problems with fitting our best players into our starting XI.

As for the 4-1-2-1-2 formation - madness. We simply don't have the players to do it. The middle '2' here are supposed to be right and left CM - not wingers like Kaka and Dejagah. Otherwise we end up with one player in the centre of midfield! We'd be murdered!

zschwartz

Agreed.

But bidding for Marius Alexe (1.5m) is the right type of option/investment should we be able to afford both.

fulhamben

Quote from: Bryanthebroom on July 07, 2013, 02:57:54 PM

As much as I'd love to see someone like Bony sign for us I have to agree.  We should be focusing on building a team around Berba and Ruiz rather than creating more problems with fitting our best players into our starting XI.

As for the 4-1-2-1-2 formation - madness. We simply don't have the players to do it. The middle '2' here are supposed to be right and left CM - not wingers like Kaka and Dejagah. Otherwise we end up with one player in the centre of midfield! We'd be murdered!
to be fair we was dominated in the middle in most matches last season even with 2 defencive midfielders in each game

MasterHaynes

I can see why Jol is holding off buying a striker, I have a sneaking feeling he thinks that by the end of this season he maybe thinking/hoping that both Mesca and Dembele will be trying to push through and wants to keep the way clear for them. Buying an older experienced striker has risks with injuries and attitude if they are not playing every week, buying a younger striker may block their development. I'm in agreement in spending the money on a creative midfielder who can scre goals....Alonso anyone???

MJG

Quote from: Bryanthebroom on July 07, 2013, 02:57:54 PM

100% right

JBH

I think that if Martin Jol thinks we need another striker then he will get one 065.gif