watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - WTF

Started by Vinnieffc, July 10, 2013, 04:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinnieffc

I just got turned down for a job that I am perfectly (over)qualified for working on a government contract because - I'm IRISH. Apparantly I can't get security clearance !! Emailed them back citing the fact that I spent 15 years with a major international airline where I was cleared for airsine operations at Heathrow (bypassing immigration/passport control and customs). How much bloody security clearance do they need ?  As an IT engineer I have a long a successful background as a trusted employee. Sorry to all you FoFers but just needed to unload. Livid Vinnieffc.

COYSW :012:

Holders

Was it MoD security clearance? If so, you can eventually get it for Irish but it takes ages and ages (months to years) and they probably weren't prepared to wait to fill the vacancy.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

WhiteJC

do you have a british passport? if you do then where ever you (or your parents) were born shouldn't matter?

Vinnieffc

Quote from: WhiteJC on July 10, 2013, 04:54:00 PM
do you have a british passport? if you do then where ever you (or your parents) were born shouldn't matter?

No I don't. I'm eligible for one but not sure I can be bothered going through the process. Just letting off a bit of steam because I am a perfect fit for the post and they are perfect for me (the HR department have said so as well). Ah well - probably shouldn't have posted this but thought I'd share my frustration with my Fulham Family. Onwards and upwards  :016:

rusty shackleford

I am Irish and ive been turned down for jobs because I am grossly unqualified. Life is cruel

Holders

If it's MoD clearance (blue form) that's the reason. I've got clearance for an American in the past but for some reason Irish presents more problems, don't know why.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

jarv

Sorry to hear that. Typical hypocrisy from a government office. Apparently we have laws about pc, equal opportunities and non british citizens but it doesn't apply to them. Did you get an interview? Did they know you were Irish before the interview? (Just out of interest)

The Equalizer

Vinnie, I feel for you mate. I've somehow managed to spend 10 of the last 13 months out of work and it's not been pretty. The job markets are absolutely buggered at the moment, and massively so in IT.

I had an interview a couple of weeks back at De Beers where I was one of two people going in for interviews. The other person got it, probably because I'm too old or showed up the team leader and he felt threatened. Over 400 people put CVs in for that role. It's a nightmare.

Best of luck mate.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

TheDon

"As an IT engineer "  does IT stand for irish terrorist ?
just asking. :hook:

sipwell

Feel your pain. I have been out of a job between September and June and it was a tough time. I apparently had not enough knowledge of the field in which I wrote my PhD, so said someone with a bachelor degree five years younger than me. Hang in there!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

chiefo

Quote from: Vinnieffc on July 10, 2013, 04:47:22 PM
I just got turned down for a job that I am perfectly (over)qualified for working on a government contract because - I'm IRISH. Apparantly I can't get security clearance !! Emailed them back citing the fact that I spent 15 years with a major international airline where I was cleared for airsine operations at Heathrow (bypassing immigration/passport control and customs). How much bloody security clearance do they need ?  As an IT engineer I have a long a successful background as a trusted employee. Sorry to all you FoFers but just needed to unload. Livid Vinnieffc.

COYSW :012:
Bloody harsh mate, didn't realise it was us Irish who caused a threat right now. Good luck on the next opportunity, may have been a blessing in disguise. Same goes for all who were / have been looked over for other jobs bye the way. :048: