more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

All excited about the royal baby?

Started by epsomraver, July 22, 2013, 07:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General

Getting involved..

I think the way it works due to calculating from expenses alone (and not incomes they generate - and we're not just talking about tourism, were talking about commonwealth trade agreements which they influence) to each British tax payer (not even those on benefits or under tax-paying age), the royal FAMILY is said to cost us about £1 each a year, maybe a small bit more.

Not only is that sod all, if you want to get into the idea of wasting money you don't need to look much further than football... Even being a fulham fan you've probably put more (and subsequently wasted quite a bit of it) at Fulham on irrelevant transfers and wages on the likes of jari litmanen, Ahmed elrich and everyone else... Not to mention the financial blunders etc made by a player which loses us a game (£500,000 per premier league space last time I saw? What's that if you lose a game and go down four places?).

The reality is the royal family have a huge amount of influence on the British economy and image and in a vastly positive way, whether those who even do business with them like it or not. The queen owns the most land or is head of state of the largest amount of land in the world. She heads up the commonwealth which aside from everything else increases what I see as globalisation and trade ten-fold and she has a stickler for duty, something which makes me and a lot of Mu friends as British citizens a lot more relaxed about having her as our main physical/public entity when talking about the UK's image.

I'd rather have her be our image than the worrisome political leaders (and I have worked in politics) who can be easily manipulated.

I like the fact that nothing can become legal to legislation wise without her seal of approval and that she is in hand to hold the prime minister accountable almost every week.

And that's only part of what we know - I guarantee with the amount of events she hosts and the prestige she is afforded by the press the royal family conduct a lot more than that in interest in our country (which still some how has one of the strongest world currencies and one of the biggest GDP's in the world despite our countries population being minuscule).

Not only that but the grandsons both have jobs serving the country - how many of you have even contemplated joining the army let alone actually and genuinely serving in Afghanistan.

And that's not even to go into the amount of actual interest she holds over the middle eastern countries - a lot of whose monarchies or royal families were created by the British and probably still have quite a lot of influence by her and our royal family.

In short I don't think what I know is enough knowledge about her influence but it still makes ten times more sense to me to have them and actively support them then not and, based in the popularity of all of the more recent royal events held from the wedding, the birth, the jubilee concert and flotilla, it would seem that I'm not alone... They have and in my opinion will continue to have a very contemporary feel and finger on the pulse of British society and continue to be a lot more popular than our transitional politicians will ever be.

You alo have to understand the familiarity and stability of the royal family not only gives comfort to a lot of people, not only provides a sense of nationality and at the top levels exceptionally good role models (we're talking the queen, prince Philip, prince william etc) but they give us something to talk about globally to anyone to break down barriers and to get us stop talking about the rain :p

Berserker

Quote from: Rupert on August 04, 2013, 10:31:36 AM
Quote from: Berserker on August 04, 2013, 08:49:35 AM
Quote from: Rupert on August 04, 2013, 07:17:45 AM
Quote from: Yellow Jacket on August 04, 2013, 03:19:00 AM

England couldn't hold on to the colonies.

No, we are currently going through a process of lulling you into a false sense of security, GCHQ is busy reading all your emails and, when the time is ripe, the Empire will strike back. We may even set fire to the White House (again).

Unfortunately, now I have told you this, you will have to be bumped off for security purposes. Sorry.

Well when the empire strikes back can i be Leia Amidala Skywalker :-)

I had you down as a sword wielding Jedi, running around cutting people in half. No idea why that image sprang to my mind.

Actually learnt Longsword but i was pretty rubbish. Bit like my archery in as much my enthusiam for things far outweighs my skill.

Anyway wasn't Princess Leia secretly a Jedi through being Anakin Skywalker's daughter and Luke's sister

On the royal front not at all interested in the baby, but a bit of a Charles fan on account of being a organic gardener and a bit tree huggerish
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

FC Silver Fox

I'm still disappointed they didn't name their sprog, Wayne.

Still, Boy George does have possibilities for future individuality.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Logicalman

Quote from: Berserker on August 04, 2013, 11:42:36 AM

No, we are currently going through a process of lulling you into a false sense of security, GCHQ is busy reading all your emails and, when the time is ripe, the Empire will strike back. We may even set fire to the White House (again).

Unfortunately, now I have told you this, you will have to be bumped off for security purposes. Sorry.

I had you down as a sword wielding Jedi, running around cutting people in half. No idea why that image sprang to my mind.

Actually learnt Longsword but i was pretty rubbish. Bit like my archery in as much my enthusiam for things far outweighs my skill.

Anyway wasn't Princess Leia secretly a Jedi through being Anakin Skywalker's daughter and Luke's sister

On the royal front not at all interested in the baby, but a bit of a Charles fan on account of being a organic gardener and a bit tree huggerish

.. at least we know who to call on when Darth (is that really Klingon D'Aaarth?) gets here sometime.

Agreed on the Royal front, couldn't have cared less after Charlie married that Ascot front-runner, though Will appears to have inherited his Mothers personality, so there is still some hope. Couldn't get away from it on Morning News and TV from a week before the birth until they finally gave Georgie boy his name.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Berserker on August 04, 2013, 11:42:36 AM

And so we find the commom denominator : that both the Skywalkers and the Windsors are all inbreds who can count to 6 on the fingers of one hand. I shall forthwith open a museum in Norwich to enlighten the proletariat as to the talents of our superiors  :Haynes The Maestro:

Yellow Jacket

Quote from: NogoodBoyo on August 04, 2013, 04:13:40 AM
Yellow Jacket - too much protest.  I only read the last two posts in this thread because it's a boring subject.  However, in that last post (here comes the bugler) you do come across as being a bit bitter and...well sort of a know-it-all on the subject.  Maybe you are?
Nogood "a sting in the tail, isit" Boyo
Am I bitter? If you're talking about New South Wales losing once again to Queensland in the State of Origin series then yes I was but I built a bridge and got over it.

Yep you're telling me I care about the Royal Baby. Also, that the entire country cares about the baby. Also that country doesn't have anything else better to do. I also am not allowed to set things right. America is truly what foreigners believe. Anything else?

Yellow Jacket

Quote from: Logicalman on August 04, 2013, 04:55:30 AM
Quote from: Logicalman on August 03, 2013, 09:02:28 PM
Quote from: Yellow Jacket on July 23, 2013, 03:15:36 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on July 23, 2013, 12:57:13 PM
Funny that the USA make up most of the media camped outside the hospital then?
That comes down to simple numbers. 1% of the American media is still more than most. There are 330 million people. 1% is 3.3 million people and that sounds about right. The percentage of Americans who really give any sort of a damn is probably less than that. I don't know why people are so desperate to think we care. The vast majority don't and the country fought for independence and one perk is that we don't have to tolerate such nonsense.

Talk about talking trash!! I have had no end of people asking me about the royal baby, though I have no interest whatsoever in the subject, cos I won't be about by the time he gets to wear the crown.

There is so much hype this side of the pond its unbelievable, for whatever reason, I dunno, but considering the amount of interest in both the Royals and England in particular, it flies in the face of those that reckon no-one cares. As for tolerating such nonsense, the American Media hype it up more than anyone else does.

Yellow Jacket, If YOU don't like the Brits, then that's your prerogative, but don't make out that you speak for every American out there, because some of us see the opposite every day.
I don't care what you think because I'm speaking from my own personal experience. I haven't been asked not one question about the baby and I did receive one comment about the spawn and it wasn't nice (I'll leave it at that to not risk hurting your feelings). I did get in trouble with an Australian mate saying that I don't care. I'm not going to go out and say that all Aussies care because that's far from true.

There is no mention of it where I live in the newspaper, radio or local TV. I saw a couple on CNN where they specialize in news around the world. So go ahead and you make your count there. So yeah, you haven't really disproved my argument and quite frankly if you think the big news stations represent the majority of the American people then you are sadly mistaken.

The interest in the UK in general is an afterthought. It's a half decent place to visit on the rare occasion and England couldn't hold on to the colonies. That's it. This fascination is really over your head. I personally don't care if the baby got ran over by a train. I have my own interests, life and business to attend to. The hype is a lie. There are 330 million people+ in the US and to say that there is a significant amount of hype about this event is quite frankly BS. The George Zimmerman trial had significant hype not Kate Middleton crapping out a kid.

I don't dislike the Brits. I am indifferent. They aren't worth my time to like or dislike. London is a half decent city but that doesn't mean I obsessed with them. You may be but I'm not. Which is clearly what I'm getting at. I never said I speak for everybody but by judging sheer numbers. I am correct. The majority (which is 150 million +1 people) don't care. Why is that so difficult for you to wrap our head around that is astonishing.

I see the opposite every day as well. I work with internationals and Americans everyday but they don't represent the whole. If we liked them so much then guess what. We would still kiss the Queen's arse. Just because some Americans want to worship that decrepit woman and her family doesn't mean they represent the whole. I have no ill towards them but I'm calling it how I see it and in fact, putting to bed this obsession from some Brits to think Americans care. When as a nation by and in large they don't.

I am uncertain what industry you work in, especially one where there has been no mention of the birth and that, together your poor attempts at insulting the British by inane comments indicate your lack of the indifference that you claim personally, either love or hatred  = neither is actually indifferent. The simple fact that you appear to be so anti-British indicates that there is a lack of indifference, and as such, you must therefore care.

As you seem to wish to get personal, you need to understand that we don't particularly like  direct insults as being the norm, you must be mixing this MB with that other one where such insults are commonplace.

Don't be afraid of hurting my feelings please, but I do wonder what you find appealing about supporting our humble club, as your posts are generally just giving it big back to people who disagree with you, with very little comparative content, unless it has anything to do with our recent ex US player, of course. You have already said you don't care about the Cottage, and you just want to act aggressive towards other members. So why ARE you here, eh?

And by the way, The Houston Chronicle have had at least half-dozen stories regarding the birth, even the Houston Press have had a number of articles and messages about it, and to complete the list (to name a couple) KHOU - isn't that the local TV station? Have had a number of stories, if their website is to be believed. So, it appears " There is no mention of it where I live in the newspaper, radio or local TV. ", seems somewhat of an over-reaching statement - though I will admit the Fort Bend Star didn't run any stories I could see.

Bless your heart.

1. Where have I insulted the British?
2. I don't live in Houston.
3. Don't you have better things to do than to worry about why I support Fulham. Mind your own business if you would be so kind. Please? I said please. I don't care that Fulham are an English club. That's irrelevant to me.
4. Quit projecting. I don't love or hate the British. If I loved them then I would be a lot more kinder in your eyes. If I truly hated them then I wouldn't have gone there. Life is too short to hate anyone without serious reason. You may want me to care for your own reasons but I don't.
5. I don't care about the future of the Cottage. I like the present. It's a nice place to go and watch a game. I go in and find a seat somewhat isolated. I watch the game while having a pint (while handling my work business) and then leave.
6. Dempsey is a former player indeed. Unlike many others here. I have built a bridge and got over it. He wanted more money in his pocket and I applaud that. You only get one career so make as much money as you can to set you for life. I think he probably has just achieved that. He maybe also wanted to go back home for his family. His wife has wanted to return to the States for some time. Plus I'm not the one shouting nonsense saying that the current national team captain (and best USMNT player right now) should be replaced. I have also posted in other threads. The thread diet for this MB contains a heavy helping of Dempsey. I don't feel the need to slag on an ex-player. It's just a game.
7. I just want to act aggressive? There are a select few people in which I read their posts and can be enlightened. I raise my glass to those. I don't wish to get personal but that's the only way I can go because you are judging based on appearances i.e. what you think.
8. The media has always been a small minority of people who want to influence the majority of the people. They are in no way a reliable benchmark for the interest of an entire country. Unless you live in North Korea then I stand corrected.
9. I would go to a Star Wars museum. I haven't seen a Star Wars movie in years. It would be an interesting exhibit. This shouldn't have been dragged out this far so I humbly apologize. Don't go all bipolar on me.