https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

All excited about the royal baby?

Started by epsomraver, July 22, 2013, 07:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickmuir

Quote from: Northern Cottager on July 22, 2013, 07:44:30 PM
Really don't follow why we still have a royal family

royal family bring in tourism the main thing and the only other thing i can think if is princess trust dose alot of good

F(f)CUK

It actually got worse - I had to go out and Radio 5 Live was doing rolling radio coverage of a closed door.

ToodlesMcToot

What happens if the young lad's first word is "soccer"? Will he have to forgo his opportunity to be the king? Or will he be forgiven? Is there a protocol for this kind of blasphemy?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

Rupert

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 23, 2013, 08:00:30 PM
What happens if the young lad's first word is "soccer"? Will he have to forgo his opportunity to be the king? Or will he be forgiven? Is there a protocol for this kind of blasphemy?

This is the sort of thing we have the official secrets act in place for. As his nanny will probably witness this unfortunate happening, something creative will have to be done with her, either marry her to an Earl to buy her silence, or lock her in the Tower of London if she turns out to have scruples. The child will then be thrashed (it's okay, the royals are still allowed to do this sort of thing, you can't lock up the Queen, for goodness sake) and have his mouth scrubbed out with carbolic soap, then the whole sorry affair will be quietly forgotten, apart from some uneducated foreign reporters wondering why the lad seems so distant from William. But any time one of them tries to make a story out of this, we will invade some oil rich state to divert attention.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Jack Fulham

Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 23, 2013, 04:49:15 PM
Quote from: Jack Fulham on July 23, 2013, 04:31:31 PM
Quote from: Yellow Jacket on July 23, 2013, 03:15:36 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on July 23, 2013, 12:57:13 PM
Funny that the USA make up most of the media camped outside the hospital then?
That comes down to simple numbers. 1% of the American media is still more than most. There are 330 million people. 1% is 3.3 million people and that sounds about right. The percentage of Americans who really give any sort of a damn is probably less than that. I don't know why people are so desperate to think we care. The vast majority don't and the country fought for independence and one perk is that we don't have to tolerate such nonsense.

I'm happy enough to tolerate nonsense when it brings bank holidays. (royal wedding)

It wouldn't surprise me if most Americans don't care about the royal family. A high percentage have never left the state they live in.

Right. And those of us who have been fortunate enough - or is the implication intelligent/well-educated? - to leave our own state are just so enamored with your royals. Did pick up that bit of logic on your travels?

Wasn't insulting American intelligence or education. I've just always been intrigued by it. Isn't it something like 80% of Americans don't have passports. Probably wrong to link it in with royal family nonsense but a lot of Americans that do come to London love the royal family but I'm sure most aren't that bothered as Yellow Jacket stated.

Peabody

As has been stated, most of the media outside of the hospital, was foreign and one German crew even emphasised the German connection to our Royal Family. So there must be a fair amount of interest in these countries, or are those TV Companies just wasting money.

Yellow Jacket

Quote from: Jack Fulham on July 23, 2013, 09:56:12 PM
Quote from: ToodlesMcToot on July 23, 2013, 04:49:15 PM
Quote from: Jack Fulham on July 23, 2013, 04:31:31 PM
That comes down to simple numbers. 1% of the American media is still more than most. There are 330 million people. 1% is 3.3 million people and that sounds about right. The percentage of Americans who really give any sort of a damn is probably less than that. I don't know why people are so desperate to think we care. The vast majority don't and the country fought for independence and one perk is that we don't have to tolerate such nonsense.

I'm happy enough to tolerate nonsense when it brings bank holidays. (royal wedding)

It wouldn't surprise me if most Americans don't care about the royal family. A high percentage have never left the state they live in.

Right. And those of us who have been fortunate enough - or is the implication intelligent/well-educated? - to leave our own state are just so enamored with your royals. Did pick up that bit of logic on your travels?

Wasn't insulting American intelligence or education. I've just always been intrigued by it. Isn't it something like 80% of Americans don't have passports. Probably wrong to link it in with royal family nonsense but a lot of Americans that do come to London love the royal family but I'm sure most aren't that bothered as Yellow Jacket stated.
I've been to London and it's a decent city no doubt. You would have to pay me to go to Buckingham Palace. I simply don't care about the royal family. I love English pub food and a good English breakfast. Though I would add a small stack of American style pancakes with maple syrup on the side.

Holders

Pancakes for breakfast would be "a little unusual" here. I was in a hotel earlier this year and there was an American couple on the next table. The woman was drinking coke out of a can for breakfast! Not sure if she brought it with her or asked the waiter for it. That was in Scotland, though.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Berserker

Buck House does some good exhibitions as well though, Mr B is a republican so we didn't go to see the royals. The exhibition was about Ernest Shackelton and it was very good.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Holders

Quote from: Berserker on July 24, 2013, 07:10:47 AM
Buck House does some good exhibitions as well though, Mr B is a republican so we didn't go to see the royals. The exhibition was about Ernest Shackelton and it was very good.

Have you been to Gilbert White's house in Selborne? There's an excellent exhibition of Capt. Oates (he of "I'm going outside now, I may be some time" fame) including his diaries which show his thinking just before that fateful note.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Holders on July 24, 2013, 06:26:00 AM
Pancakes for breakfast would be "a little unusual" here. I was in a hotel earlier this year and there was an American couple on the next table. The woman was drinking coke out of a can for breakfast! Not sure if she brought it with her or asked the waiter for it. That was in Scotland, though.

Was the can deep fried ?

jms

Logicalman

Talk about talking trash!! I have had no end of people asking me about the royal baby, though I have no interest whatsoever in the subject, cos I won't be about by the time he gets to wear the crown.

There is so much hype this side of the pond its unbelievable, for whatever reason, I dunno, but considering the amount of interest in both the Royals and England in particular, it flies in the face of those that reckon no-one cares. As for tolerating such nonsense, the American Media hype it up more than anyone else does.

Yellow Jacket, If YOU don't like the Brits, then that's your prerogative, but don't make out that you speak for every American out there, because some of us see the opposite every day.

Yellow Jacket

Quote from: Logicalman on August 03, 2013, 09:02:28 PM

Talk about talking trash!! I have had no end of people asking me about the royal baby, though I have no interest whatsoever in the subject, cos I won't be about by the time he gets to wear the crown.

There is so much hype this side of the pond its unbelievable, for whatever reason, I dunno, but considering the amount of interest in both the Royals and England in particular, it flies in the face of those that reckon no-one cares. As for tolerating such nonsense, the American Media hype it up more than anyone else does.

Yellow Jacket, If YOU don't like the Brits, then that's your prerogative, but don't make out that you speak for every American out there, because some of us see the opposite every day.
I don't care what you think because I'm speaking from my own personal experience. I haven't been asked not one question about the baby and I did receive one comment about the spawn and it wasn't nice (I'll leave it at that to not risk hurting your feelings). I did get in trouble with an Australian mate saying that I don't care. I'm not going to go out and say that all Aussies care because that's far from true.

There is no mention of it where I live in the newspaper, radio or local TV. I saw a couple on CNN where they specialize in news around the world. So go ahead and you make your count there. So yeah, you haven't really disproved my argument and quite frankly if you think the big news stations represent the majority of the American people then you are sadly mistaken.

The interest in the UK in general is an afterthought. It's a half decent place to visit on the rare occasion and England couldn't hold on to the colonies. That's it. This fascination is really over your head. I personally don't care if the baby got ran over by a train. I have my own interests, life and business to attend to. The hype is a lie. There are 330 million people+ in the US and to say that there is a significant amount of hype about this event is quite frankly BS. The George Zimmerman trial had significant hype not Kate Middleton crapping out a kid.

I don't dislike the Brits. I am indifferent. They aren't worth my time to like or dislike. London is a half decent city but that doesn't mean I obsessed with them. You may be but I'm not. Which is clearly what I'm getting at. I never said I speak for everybody but by judging sheer numbers. I am correct. The majority (which is 150 million +1 people) don't care. Why is that so difficult for you to wrap our head around that is astonishing.

I see the opposite every day as well. I work with internationals and Americans everyday but they don't represent the whole. If we liked them so much then guess what. We would still kiss the Queen's arse. Just because some Americans want to worship that decrepit woman and her family doesn't mean they represent the whole. I have no ill towards them but I'm calling it how I see it and in fact, putting to bed this obsession from some Brits to think Americans care. When as a nation by and in large they don't.

NogoodBoyo

Yellow Jacket - too much protest.  I only read the last two posts in this thread because it's a boring subject.  However, in that last post (here comes the bugler) you do come across as being a bit bitter and...well sort of a know-it-all on the subject.  Maybe you are?
Nogood "a sting in the tail, isit" Boyo

HatterDon

People here in the States -- even intelligent, well-read sophisticates -- were all agog [or is that N'gog] about the royal bairn. I was unable to escape every moment of the lead up and the delivery, even out in the wilds of South Texas. So yeah, I'm agreeing with the Welsh git yet again.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Logicalman

Quote from: Yellow Jacket on August 04, 2013, 03:19:00 AM
Quote from: Logicalman on August 03, 2013, 09:02:28 PM

I don't care what you think because I'm speaking from my own personal experience. I haven't been asked not one question about the baby and I did receive one comment about the spawn and it wasn't nice (I'll leave it at that to not risk hurting your feelings). I did get in trouble with an Australian mate saying that I don't care. I'm not going to go out and say that all Aussies care because that's far from true.

There is no mention of it where I live in the newspaper, radio or local TV. I saw a couple on CNN where they specialize in news around the world. So go ahead and you make your count there. So yeah, you haven't really disproved my argument and quite frankly if you think the big news stations represent the majority of the American people then you are sadly mistaken.

The interest in the UK in general is an afterthought. It's a half decent place to visit on the rare occasion and England couldn't hold on to the colonies. That's it. This fascination is really over your head. I personally don't care if the baby got ran over by a train. I have my own interests, life and business to attend to. The hype is a lie. There are 330 million people+ in the US and to say that there is a significant amount of hype about this event is quite frankly BS. The George Zimmerman trial had significant hype not Kate Middleton crapping out a kid.

I don't dislike the Brits. I am indifferent. They aren't worth my time to like or dislike. London is a half decent city but that doesn't mean I obsessed with them. You may be but I'm not. Which is clearly what I'm getting at. I never said I speak for everybody but by judging sheer numbers. I am correct. The majority (which is 150 million +1 people) don't care. Why is that so difficult for you to wrap our head around that is astonishing.

I see the opposite every day as well. I work with internationals and Americans everyday but they don't represent the whole. If we liked them so much then guess what. We would still kiss the Queen's arse. Just because some Americans want to worship that decrepit woman and her family doesn't mean they represent the whole. I have no ill towards them but I'm calling it how I see it and in fact, putting to bed this obsession from some Brits to think Americans care. When as a nation by and in large they don't.

I am uncertain what industry you work in, especially one where there has been no mention of the birth and that, together your poor attempts at insulting the British by inane comments indicate your lack of the indifference that you claim personally, either love or hatred  = neither is actually indifferent. The simple fact that you appear to be so anti-British indicates that there is a lack of indifference, and as such, you must therefore care.

As you seem to wish to get personal, you need to understand that we don't particularly like  direct insults as being the norm, you must be mixing this MB with that other one where such insults are commonplace.

Don't be afraid of hurting my feelings please, but I do wonder what you find appealing about supporting our humble club, as your posts are generally just giving it big back to people who disagree with you, with very little comparative content, unless it has anything to do with our recent ex US player, of course. You have already said you don't care about the Cottage, and you just want to act aggressive towards other members. So why ARE you here, eh?

And by the way, The Houston Chronicle have had at least half-dozen stories regarding the birth, even the Houston Press have had a number of articles and messages about it, and to complete the list (to name a couple) KHOU - isn't that the local TV station? Have had a number of stories, if their website is to be believed. So, it appears " There is no mention of it where I live in the newspaper, radio or local TV. ", seems somewhat of an over-reaching statement - though I will admit the Fort Bend Star didn't run any stories I could see.

Rupert

England couldn't hold on to the colonies.

No, we are currently going through a process of lulling you into a false sense of security, GCHQ is busy reading all your emails and, when the time is ripe, the Empire will strike back. We may even set fire to the White House (again).

Unfortunately, now I have told you this, you will have to be bumped off for security purposes. Sorry.

Berserker

Quote from: Rupert on August 04, 2013, 07:17:45 AM

No, we are currently going through a process of lulling you into a false sense of security, GCHQ is busy reading all your emails and, when the time is ripe, the Empire will strike back. We may even set fire to the White House (again).

Unfortunately, now I have told you this, you will have to be bumped off for security purposes. Sorry.

Well when the empire strikes back can i be Leia Amidala Skywalker :-)
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Rupert

Quote from: Berserker on August 04, 2013, 08:49:35 AM
Quote from: Rupert on August 04, 2013, 07:17:45 AM

Well when the empire strikes back can i be Leia Amidala Skywalker :-)

I had you down as a sword wielding Jedi, running around cutting people in half. No idea why that image sprang to my mind.