Main Menu

All excited about the royal baby?

Started by epsomraver, July 22, 2013, 07:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Quote from: epsomraver on July 23, 2013, 12:30:43 PM
Quote from: MJG on July 23, 2013, 10:36:38 AM
can we close this thread?
Why, it is over all the rest of the media so why not on here , more the merrier I say :021:
Oh make it a sticky then

jarv

Thing is, it is a very touchy subject. Makes it hard not to pass comment. Yellow jacket is right about Americans. On my local breakfast show the anchor people were actually laughing about the stupidity of it all, people out waving flags and cheering. The term "royal baby" had them rolling their eyes. That's how much they care.

epsomraver

Funny that the USA make up most of the media camped outside the hospital then?

Lighthouse

Isn't this the whole point? Oh look at all the stupid people who care. Let's all send cameras and laugh about it. Then let's interview each other. Then find that we are all part of the machine. It's called irony. Otherwise they would have to face real news. We all know how bad the press is at finding that.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FFC1987

Anyway, just got back from my camping trip near the royals, miss anything good?

Holders

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 23, 2013, 01:03:40 PM
Isn't this the whole point? Oh look at all the stupid people who care. Let's all send cameras and laugh about it. Then let's interview each other. Then find that we are all part of the machine. It's called irony. Otherwise they would have to face real news. We all know how bad the press is at finding that.

It is definitely ironic. They interview a handful of fanatics without realising that most of us couldn't give a toss (except as an academic exercise in irony-monitoring). Then they broadcast it all over their media, suggesting that the fanatics are typical but in turn satisfying the cravings of a far larger number in their own countries.

In my view, if it weren't for the foreign interest it'd be far more likely that we'd ditch the royals. They've come close a couple of times.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Vinnieffc

Quote from: The Moose on July 22, 2013, 10:01:30 PM
Quote from: Northern Cottager on July 22, 2013, 07:44:30 PM
Really don't follow why we still have a royal family

They're a tourist attraction.

Really ? I don't see Tourists not visiting Versailles dispite the French chopping the heads off the royals years ago.. If the Windsors are gone, people will still visit Windsor Castle and Buck Hice irrespective because of its historic value..

Northern Cottager

Quote from: Vinnieffc on July 23, 2013, 01:41:22 PM
Quote from: The Moose on July 22, 2013, 10:01:30 PM
Quote from: Northern Cottager on July 22, 2013, 07:44:30 PM
Really don't follow why we still have a royal family

They're a tourist attraction.

Really ? I don't see Tourists not visiting Versailles dispite the French chopping the heads off the royals years ago.. If the Windsors are gone, people will still visit Windsor Castle and Buck Hice irrespective because of its historic value..

People come to see the architecture and the buildings but I feel that not many come to sniff the whereabouts of the Queen or the others. It's my personal opinion that I don't see much point in having them, that's all.

Vinnieffc

Just received a text from a cricketing mate saying if the royal baby was Australian it would have been out days ago  :005:

Yellow Jacket

Quote from: epsomraver on July 23, 2013, 12:57:13 PM
That comes down to simple numbers. 1% of the American media is still more than most. There are 330 million people. 1% is 3.3 million people and that sounds about right. The percentage of Americans who really give any sort of a damn is probably less than that. I don't know why people are so desperate to think we care. The vast majority don't and the country fought for independence and one perk is that we don't have to tolerate such nonsense.

Rupert

Quote from: Yellow Jacket on July 23, 2013, 03:15:36 PM
That comes down to simple numbers. 1% of the American media is still more than most. There are 330 million people. 1% is 3.3 million people and that sounds about right. The percentage of Americans who really give any sort of a damn is probably less than that. I don't know why people are so desperate to think we care. The vast majority don't and the country fought for independence and one perk is that we don't have to tolerate such nonsense.

Another perk is they have you as their self-appointed spokesman, which saves them the bother of telling us how disinterested they all are.   :yay:

This whole thread is about personal opinion, those who are interested on one side and those who are keen to tell us nobody cares on the other. Barring accidents, I won't be around when junior ascends the throne, but so what? It is certainly a topic of interest, as five pages on this thread testify, whatever anyone wants to believe.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Yellow Jacket

Quote from: Rupert on July 23, 2013, 03:44:04 PM

Another perk is they have you as their self-appointed spokesman, which saves them the bother of telling us how disinterested they all are.   :yay:

This whole thread is about personal opinion, those who are interested on one side and those who are keen to tell us nobody cares on the other. Barring accidents, I won't be around when junior ascends the throne, but so what? It is certainly a topic of interest, as five pages on this thread testify, whatever anyone wants to believe.
I'm all about public service. If saves all of the others the effort then my goal has been achieved. Of course, I admit it is a topic of interest (just like analyzing hidden treasure maps are a topic of interest) but opinions can be farfetched and they must be addressed. Plus I would be disappointed for one to assume that I care about some woman crapping a kid out. A lot of woman do that everyday. 5 pages of that great. In a forum where the member base are the mostly British subjects then of course you would get 5 pages.

Vinnieffc

A woman gives birth to a baby every minute of the day. We gotta find her and stop her  :Get Coat gif:

Jack Fulham

I'm happy enough to tolerate nonsense when it brings bank holidays. (royal wedding)

It wouldn't surprise me if most Americans don't care about the royal family. A high percentage have never left the state they live in.

Holders

Going back to my American Admiral, whom I met at an event on HMS Victory, they crave history and pageantry. As he said at the time to his UK opposite numbers: "we may have a great navy but it'll be hundreds of years before we have the history to put anything on like this".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

ToodlesMcToot

Quote from: Jack Fulham on July 23, 2013, 04:31:31 PM

I'm happy enough to tolerate nonsense when it brings bank holidays. (royal wedding)

It wouldn't surprise me if most Americans don't care about the royal family. A high percentage have never left the state they live in.

Right. And those of us who have been fortunate enough - or is the implication intelligent/well-educated? - to leave our own state are just so enamored with your royals. Did pick up that bit of logic on your travels?
"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." — The Dude

LBNo11

...to all concerned, those who have posted, those who are tempted to post - the original issue has inevitably become a platform to air views that deteriorates into making jibes or comments aimed at posters at a personal level.

Respect each others views even if you disagree with them please.

I will pull the plug on this topic if this is not complied with...

084.gif

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

F(f)CUK

How could you want to stop this thread whilst we have rolling news coverage of a closed door.

aFFCn_Fan

Here in darkest Africa we only have Sky News for 24 rolling no-news, no-commentary, no-insight...can I just add I really hate Kay ******ing Burley. What a horrible annoying evil witch. Just my luck to be stuck at home on sick leave for the week.

@hincharoo

Rhys Lightning 63

I wonder whether or not William will want his kid to play for Villa. Can you imagine an MC reading the starting line-ups

'Number 2 - Jake Smith, Number 5 - Jason Fry, Number 9 - Prince George Windsor Of Cambridge, Number 11 - Gabriel Moore'
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense