watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

All excited about the royal baby?

Started by epsomraver, July 22, 2013, 07:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lighthouse

The Womens football was very good tonight. Went to penalties.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: jarv on July 22, 2013, 10:29:23 PM
The royals are a tourist attraction? I didn't see them the last time I was at London zoo. (or the tower, or big ben or anywhere else)

Parasites on the taxpayer. Could any of them actually do a job? One wonders, doesn't one.

Rupert, I fully understand the theory you put forward. My mum does too, but she is 91 :005:
You mention history. Well, the royals own sh1t loads of land which their ancestors did not actually pay for. They didn't pop into the local estate agent and say "I want to buy acres and acres from those peasants, can you sort me out" NO. They drove the peasants off their land and basically stole it. Then decided to tax those that stayed to work the land.

It is time to give it back to the state. After all, we are all in this mess together are we not?

Finally, dear old charlie, I read a while ago he has a "manservant" to help him get ready in the morning. Still not old enough to dress himself? oh dear oh dear.

Sorry. I just do not get it. The flag waving and cheering. Jeeeez, they can't even play football so what are they cheering about.

Yes they are, well the Queen is at least. Tourists come to the UK partly to see Buckingham Palace so she does provide some level of economic boon to the country. Whether the same can be said for the rest of them I'm not so sure.
I guess those living in the stately homes bring something in.
This is the only possible argument in favour of them. I agree they are basically just scroungers and shirkers, the most severe in the land.

It is of course ironic that the Tories bang on about how immoral people who can't work are, ignoring the fact that most people who can't want to, and yet most of them adore (publicly at least) the Royal Family.

Bassey the warrior

Quote from: Chrisg3 on July 22, 2013, 11:06:38 PM
its disgusting all this time and money being wasted on 1 kid, my friend had 5 not one of them got a mention, it wont want for anything
I am 65, have 2 kids, both not working, but what do they do cut my benefits, bet this kid will never go hungry, I get so little cant even afford to come to Fulham now, been watching since 1961, now just reading about the team I love, I have only ever ben to 1 cup final, this kid when old enough will get to see what he wants, ITS WRONG

Hear hear.

Lighthouse

I think you will find Politicians YOU voted for waste more money than the Royal Family do. The Royal Family through the Princes Trust and other charitable events contribute a fair bit. Are they worth it? The press from around the World outside a hospital where a woman has dropped a sprog seem to think so.

Good luck to them. People who complain about them taking more out of society should look towards the footballer, sportsman, bankers, politicians before sounding off about things they clearly know sod all about.

Now shut this thread and did anybody see the womens game tonight?

Artful Dodger

Quote from: Lighthouse on July 22, 2013, 11:23:40 PM
I think you will find Politicians YOU voted for waste more money than the Royal Family do. The Royal Family through the Princes Trust and other charitable events contribute a fair bit. Are they worth it? The press from around the World outside a hospital where a woman has dropped a sprog seem to think so.

Good luck to them. People who complain about them taking more out of society should look towards the footballer, sportsman, bankers, politicians before sounding off about things they clearly know sod all about.

Now shut this thread and did anybody see the womens game tonight?
Couldn't have put it better myself!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

jarv

womens game? no. what was the score? (and who was playing).

Lighthouse

France who demolished England and won all their group games played Denmark who didn't win a group game but made it to the quarter finals on the fact they were drawn out of a hat instead of Russia.

So France were favourites and were amongst the favourites to win the whole European Championship. They have professional players etc. So Denmark go a goal up and then France (who did a fair bit of diving) equalised through a very dubious penalty. France then WENT ON to control and may have had a further penalty but that was ignored by the ref.

So extra time Denmark hold on and it goes to penalties. France first one is saved. But then Dnemark third is saved. But France hit the post with the next and hurrah Denmark score and go through.

God The Mechanic

France could have had a fair few penalties during regular play.  And a red card.

One of the things that has kinda stood out for me is how much the refs let go, and how little diving there has been in the tournament.  Feels weird :P

Gozorich

Whether we should have a Royal Family or not is a personal choice but lets start with some true figures unlike those bandied about over the Royal's effect on Tourism.

Britain is 8th in the table of International tourists. France, Spain Italy and Germany are all ahead in the list - France by nearly 3 times the number of tourists. Only one of these countries also has a monarchy but as far as I can see they don't bang on about it,

Rupert

I think it is brilliant, the way something like this brings out the green-eyed monster in some people.

Yes, let us abolish the royals, then all of us will be equal, taxes will be abolished, there will be jam every morning and free beer every night and corruption and waste will be a thing of the past  064.gif :airfix: :wine: 092.gif
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

The Bronsons

Most of the money the monarchy costs is spent on employing people and keeping heritage sites open, so it wouldn't be saved by removing the Windsors. The Americans seem to like it. The alternatives aren't palatable.

I just wish the "news" shows would stop going on and on and on and on about the unremarkable birth of one among 2,000 other births that happened yesterday in the UK. Keep the monarchy then, but also, turn the bloody volume down.

Yellow Jacket

Quote from: The Bronsons on July 23, 2013, 07:24:23 AM
Most of the money the monarchy costs is spent on employing people and keeping heritage sites open, so it wouldn't be saved by removing the Windsors. The Americans seem to like it. The alternatives aren't palatable.

I just wish the "news" shows would stop going on and on and on and on about the unremarkable birth of one among 2,000 other births that happened yesterday in the UK. Keep the monarchy then, but also, turn the bloody volume down.
Lol Americans who actually care about the British Monarchy are a minority.

Holders

I'm no royalist but the Americans I've met seem obsessed with them. A few years ago I was standing with an American Admiral waiting for the queen to be introduced and we got to talking about this. He was quite unaware that (at that time) a poll showed that over 80% of the UK public believed that Di and Dodi had been murdered by The Firm. He still shook her hand, though: "Greed'ns from the colonies, Ma'am". "Air, which one?". "Unahdid stades ma'am". "Air".
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Putney

Quote from: Holders on July 23, 2013, 08:18:38 AM
I'm no royalist but the Americans I've met seem obsessed with them. A few years ago I was standing with an American Admiral waiting for the queen to be introduced and we got to talking about this. He was quite unaware that (at that time) a poll showed that over 80% of the UK public believed that Di and Dodi had been murdered by The Firm. He still shook her hand, though: "Greed'ns from the colonies, Ma'am". "Air, which one?". "Unahdid stades ma'am". "Air".

Do they think The Royals are a TV show?

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Lighthouse

Yeah these blimmin Royals. All this over attention on Tv and Radio and .............

OVER 4 PAGES ON FOF.

Who exactly are overdoing it again?

MJG

Airfix

epsomraver

Quote from: MJG on July 23, 2013, 10:36:38 AM
can we close this thread?
Why, it is over all the rest of the media so why not on here , more the merrier I say :021: